MBB: St. Louis Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by FC News, March 01, 2005, 11:03:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GU1999

GU1999

GU wins going away at Prin despite shooting it very poorly from deep and giving away numerous unforced turnovers.  GU was even on the boards with Prin.  which is a huge advantage for a system team and makes up for their deficiencies shooting the ball tonight.   

Prin had a poor night shooting the ball.  To win v. GU they need to shoot it at a 65+% percentage from the floor and do better at the line.   

If GU is going to win the upcoming games against Blackburn and Eureka they will need to limit the unforced turnovers and shoot it better.  I am not sure that they will do better on the TO front as this is looking more like a consistent trait of this team.  However, this team is a much better shooting team than 30% from 3.  Contrearas is way better than he was tonight (1/9 from 3).  So is Sonty Grady (2/7 from 3).

I am still optimistic that this team will make the playoffs and has a punchers chance to be at the top of the league. 

Greek Tragedy

17 TOs seems like a pretty low number. I don't know what they average. Prin doesn't ever seem to rebound very well, so I'm guessing I wouldn't get too excited about that stat, let alone the game. It's obvious Prin is pretty bad.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

hopefan

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on January 15, 2020, 06:44:25 AM
17 TOs seems like a pretty low number. I don't know what they average. Prin doesn't ever seem to rebound very well, so I'm guessing I wouldn't get too excited about that stat, let alone the game. It's obvious Prin is pretty bad.

I find myself somewhat addicted to Prin hoops...They do have some good players... Davidson, Goodman and Byrd could play for any SLIAC team, and Sellers is a hot and cold shooter who can beat you if he's on.... but Prin's story year in and year out is depth... they can't play tough defense because if they get in foul trouble, they're badly impacted... When they do go to the bench, there is a tremendous drop off....  and normally Prin is slow footed, they have great problems keeping up a pace for 40 minutes... they'll, score, but they'll give up a lot...  If you are an underdog fan, you gotta love them.... I would LOVE to see a magical recruiting year for them where they got 3 or 4 potential starters and could build around that class....
The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!

Greek Tragedy

Don't get me wrong, I like Prin too, especially when it came to fantasy players the last few years. They definitely need some depth...or just play the bench players so they can live and learn. Those bench players aren't going to get any better watching from the sidelines. They aren't fighting for the conference title, so throw the boys into the fire and hopefully they'll come out better players for the next two or three years. I'm not saying give up, but work towards the future.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!

hopefan

3 tight games tonight... right?

Mac at Iowa Wesleyan....  I want to think that Mac's defense is the difference... they win close

Fontbonne at Westmin... this really is a critical game for both teams in the quest for a tourney spot... Font 2 incredible wins last week, and a significant new weapon in their use of a formidable press.. what a tossup!!!  Westmin disappointing loss to Webster.... but very good performances at home....I'll go with Westmin...

Blackburn Webster... I simply think Webster is better...Webster

hopefan

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on January 15, 2020, 11:06:48 AM
Don't get me wrong, I like Prin too, especially when it came to fantasy players the last few years. They definitely need some depth...or just play the bench players so they can live and learn. Those bench players aren't going to get any better watching from the sidelines. They aren't fighting for the conference title, so throw the boys into the fire and hopefully they'll come out better players for the next two or three years. I'm not saying give up, but work towards the future.

hopefan clears his throat, chuckles, and whispers quietly to Greek..."nope, that's not going to help this year, next year the year after, or the year after that"

Sellers Byrd and Davidson as sophs are a nice nucleus for the next two years, but they need help at a level far beyond what the rest of returning players seem capable of offering...

another question to ponder... will Byrd return?   The fact that his brother Goodman has been at Prin had to be a major impact in his decision to come north... will he stay as Tre graduates?

hopefan

I may have to become a believer  in Fontbonne... a close win AT Westminster... and the Font clearly in contention for a tourney spot...

Mac just clubbed by Iowa Wesleyan.... hard to understand

I got one right... Webster handles Blackburn.....

The birthday boy... signing off...

WUPHF

It is hard to believe that Fontbonne is 5-2, but here we are.

The Griffins finished with a 54-32 advantage in rebounds.

hopefan

Spalding beats Eureka... at Eureka.....defies all logic

gotta love the SLIAC

Greek Tragedy

Any reason why this was played tonight instead of Wednesday? I understand Principia not playing on Wednesdays...
Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!

ecreddevils

Quote from: hopefan on January 16, 2020, 10:31:05 PM

gotta love the SLIAC

apply occam's razor here: spalding made shots in the second half, ec didn't.  1-9 from three down the stretch.  throw out the record and spalding is at least a physical defensive team, able to force ec into some tough shots they just couldn't convert.  good ball movement got spalding some looks, and  tribble and montgomery stepped up and made plays, credit them.

bad home loss to be sure, but still early and conference race is wide open.  saturday home against webster becomes all the more important now, have to hold serve and stay on winning side of conference ledger. 

hopefan

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on January 17, 2020, 12:45:58 AM
Any reason why this was played tonight instead of Wednesday? I understand Principia not playing on Wednesdays...

Spalding is far enough away from everyone else in the league that they set up some of their conference road schedule in pairs... Play Thursday, stay west/north Friday, play Saturday....rather than a back and forth trip from Louisville twice in a week, they do it once for two games.  They do this 3 times this year.

hopefan

Quote from: ecreddevils on January 17, 2020, 06:14:44 AM

gotta love the SLIAC

apply occam's razor here: spalding made shots in the second half, ec didn't.  1-9 from three down the stretch.  throw out the record and spalding is at least a physical defensive team, able to force ec into some tough shots they just couldn't convert.  good ball movement got spalding some looks, and  tribble and montgomery stepped up and made plays, credit them.

bad home loss to be sure, but still early and conference race is wide open.  saturday home against webster becomes all the more important now, have to hold serve and stay on winning side of conference ledger.

another major factor was Spalding's performance from the line... 19/21....and 12/12 in the last minute and a half..... that gave EC no chance...

ecreddevils

Quote from: hopefan on January 17, 2020, 07:05:20 AM
Quote from: ecreddevils on January 17, 2020, 06:14:44 AM

gotta love the SLIAC

another major factor was Spalding's performance from the line... 19/21....and 12/12 in the last minute and a half..... that gave EC no chance...

yes it was, 14/14 in the second half.