BB: LL: Liberty League

Started by John McGraw, March 11, 2007, 11:40:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UfanBill

Quote from: d3d3d3 on January 31, 2020, 01:50:48 PM
Ithaca has finally joined the Liberty League in baseball. That gives the conference 10 teams, which means divisional play.

LL East
Bard, RPI, Skidmore, Union, Vassar

LL West
Clarkson, Ithaca, RIT, Rochester, St. Lawrence

Instead of four-game conference weekends, series will be three games - doubleheader Saturday (9, 7 innings), single game Sunday (9).

So in looking at the schedules of LL members you play 3 games against every other team in your division and play a three game weekend against 2 0f 5 teams in the other division... ::) Still not close to a balanced schedule. 
"You don't stop playing because you got old, you got old because you stopped playing" 🏈🏀⚾🎿⛳

stlawus

SLU rightfully picked last.  Man do I miss Tom Fay. 

UfanBill

A GREAT START...The Union College Dutchmen are in Winter Haven, Florida for their annual southern trip. So far, so good as they've swept consecutive doubleheaders beating Purchase twice yesterday and Castleton and Capital today. The trip continues with doubleheaders against Alma and Trine. The preseason Liberty League pick is showing how it's done. ;)

I can't wait to see the Dutchmen at Shuttleworth Park on 3/21 vs. RIT.

Thanks D3baseball.com for the headline recognition.  :)
"You don't stop playing because you got old, you got old because you stopped playing" 🏈🏀⚾🎿⛳

UfanBill

Quote from: UfanBill on February 28, 2020, 05:27:00 PM
A GREAT START...The Union College Dutchmen are in Winter Haven, Florida for their annual southern trip. So far, so good as they've swept consecutive doubleheaders beating Purchase twice yesterday and Castleton and Capital today. The trip continues with doubleheaders against Alma and Trine. The preseason Liberty League pick is showing how it's done. ;)

Well of course I didn't get to see the Dutchmen at Shuttleworth Park. Union finished it's Florida swing with a slugfest doubleheader split with Alma before dropping two games to Trine where the bats inexplicably went silent. A 5-3 start to what would become...the season. :'( I feel bad for the seniors. Is this the last we'll see of stalworts Colin Kelly and Sean Cullen? Also Jack Myers and pitchers Josh Garber, Dominic Nardone and Colin Nye.  Tough way to end their careers. Let's hope there's a path for some of them to return next season.

Jim Dixon

Quote from: UfanBill on April 13, 2020, 10:44:18 AM
Quote from: UfanBill on February 28, 2020, 05:27:00 PM

Well of course I didn't get to see the Dutchmen at Shuttleworth Park. Union finished it's Florida swing with a slugfest doubleheader split with Alma before dropping two games to Trine where the bats inexplicably went silent. A 5-3 start to what would become...the season. :'( I feel bad for the seniors. Is this the last we'll see of stalworts Colin Kelly and Sean Cullen? Also Jack Myers and pitchers Josh Garber, Dominic Nardone and Colin Nye.  Tough way to end their careers. Let's hope there's a path for some of them to return next season.

They can return but for private schools with high tuition, it will depend on each players circumstances.

stlawus

Seniors from many of the LL teams  also have pretty limited options in terms of graduate school.   Look for Clarkson to try and scoop some of these guys up. 

Jim Dixon

One avenue would be moving up a division or NAIA  I can see many seniors making with the experience making a mark in a scholarship program.

UfanBill

Quote from: stlawus on April 13, 2020, 09:21:16 PM
Seniors from many of the LL teams  also have pretty limited options in terms of graduate school.   Look for Clarkson to try and scoop some of these guys up.

Interestingly Clarkson has a Capital District graduate school just yards from the Union College campus. That would be something if Union baseball seniors chose to attend the Clarkson CRC, Capital Region Campus, and play for the Golden Knights...I'd say that's not happening.

stlawus

Quote from: UfanBill on April 17, 2020, 07:14:30 PM
Quote from: stlawus on April 13, 2020, 09:21:16 PM

Interestingly Clarkson has a Capital District graduate school just yards from the Union College campus. That would be something if Union baseball seniors chose to attend the Clarkson CRC, Capital Region Campus, and play for the Golden Knights...I'd say that's not happening.

I wasn't specifically referring to Union players, just the LL in general.

stlawus

Nice to see SLU get a DH sweep of Plattsburgh.  SLU has not had a DH sweep since 2017.   Would be nice to see the program get going again.  Has not been the same since Tom Fay retired. 

stlawus

SLU sweeps the home DH against RIT to make it 5 straight Ws and move to 8-6 overall and 3-3 in the LL.  SLU had not won more than 7 games their last 2 full seasons.  5 game win streak matches their longest since 2015.  What a remarkable turnaround.   Collins should be officially hired after this season as he's done a phenomenal job as interim HC.   SLU also has a win against league leaders Ithaca which would be nice to count in the league standings but it was technically a non league game. 

stlawus

So it appears that post season play has been altered.  Now 4 teams in each division will play a best of 3 against the inverse seed of the other division followed by the usual double elimination.   Still a wonky unbalanced schedule.   Going to get even wonkier when Hobart starts competing in 2023.

Jim Dixon

They might be just trying to find the right combination for a non-conference/conference schedule. You need tough non-conference games for an at large bid but if you have too few games out of conference, it could hurt the chances of a second place team making the playoffs.