FB: Ohio Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:05:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Desertraider

Quote from: BoBo on October 16, 2011, 07:58:10 AM
Quote from: PurpleSuit on October 16, 2011, 12:53:49 AM
Heidelberg is a program on the move though, its amazing how far they have come in such a short time.  Definitely not a bottom-dweller any longer

I'm trying to understand the rationale behind this comment P'Suit, but failing. Maybe you can enlighten me. Losing 56-7 to UMU this year, after losing by an average score of 46-7 the 3 previous seasons, how far has the 'berg actually come? Just that stat would indicate they are 10 points worse than their 3 year average. Are they no longer a "bottom-dweller" because other teams have gotten progressively worse, more so than Heidelberg, over the same period of time?  It would seem you didn't use the final scores to reach the conclusion you did, so, if I may ask, what is the basis for stating this opinion?

The final score is what it is - but Berg is better simply because we (not just the board but people in general - i.e. the NYT article) are talking about them. Score after 1 qtr was 0-0. We know how it ended but look at the effort Mount put into it. I thought they took Berg more seriously this year than years past. Lets face it LK did sort of feel out the conditions etc. this year. Mount does that for real games. I am not saying Mount takes teams lightly - but how much feeling out went into a Hiram game? Berg is not getting drilled by the bottom dwellers and they have BEATEN some decent teams. In 2 years I think they will rotate in to that 2nd place spot battling ONU/BW.

In addition I don't buy that the rest of the OAC is down. It is more competitive because the Muskies and Berg have played well and stepped up. However, Mount is Mount and they are playing very well. So even if the rest of the OAC is stepping up and playing each other very tough - most are still wilting in the spotlight that is Mount Union.
RIP MUC57 - Go Everybody!
National Champions: 1993, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2015, 2017
The Autumn Wind is a Raider!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzEYK_XjyLg
Immaculate Prevention: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZLq_acsVN0

B38W

3 trips inside the five against Capital, no points. 3 trips the insde the five against Nothern, no points. Kicking game is not a factor and our kick coverage had better improve. Thought we played ok yesterday but plenty of room for improvement. Field conditions must of been a huge factor when Mount played Northern. BW should of put 40 on their defense.

B.W. jacket

I agree with B38W. We got to get alot better in the red zone, we need to change up our play calling , were way to predictable. Defensively, we start out slow but then pick up the pressure.

RaiderBacker

Quote from: purple on October 14, 2011, 04:38:37 PM
There is some buzz on the Ohio State boards about QB Taylor Graham transferring to Wheaton to play football there. The talk is that his best friend and teammate plays there and a close family friend is a coach.

Graham's family is from the Wheaton Area. We did a school visit there and was offered the option to say with Kurt Graham while visiting the school.

PurpleSuit

Quote from: BoBo on October 16, 2011, 07:58:10 AM
Quote from: PurpleSuit on October 16, 2011, 12:53:49 AM
Heidelberg is a program on the move though, its amazing how far they have come in such a short time.  Definitely not a bottom-dweller any longer

I'm trying to understand the rationale behind this comment P'Suit, but failing. Maybe you can enlighten me. Losing 56-7 to UMU this year, after losing by an average score of 46-7 the 3 previous seasons, how far has the 'berg actually come? Just that stat would indicate they are 10 points worse than their 3 year average. Are they no longer a "bottom-dweller" because other teams have gotten progressively worse, more so than Heidelberg, over the same period of time?  It would seem you didn't use the final scores to reach the conclusion you did, so, if I may ask, what is the basis for stating this opinion?

As others have said, I don't think the Mount score is a good way to measure the change in the Berg.  In previous years it was a game for Mount to empty the bench and still win by 50.  I mean weren't they 1-49 over a five year stretch?  In my opinion, one could say the OAC is down this year a bit in a way.  There is not a clear #2 team in the conference, but there is also less horrible teams.  In the past Musky and Berg were terrible, right now its pretty much Wilma and Marietta. If the Berg or Musky were to have a winning record, it would have been a miracle, but now both programs have a reasonable chance.  Its hard to see because Mount still rolls teams, but the OAC is still a strong conference, just in a different way then when ONU, Cap or JCU was going 9-1/8-2.

seventiesraider

Anybody want to bet that BW stays with Mount till half time and then Snell starts thinking and they lose by 34
Same as it ever was...same as it ever was...same as it ever was...

seventiesraider

So the Flamin' Pile is 7th in the OAC in Pass Defense. Bombs away

BaseballMom22

I was fortunate to attend the Berg-UMU game Saturday. I think Berg came out fired up and gave Mount a game for a quarter and a half. Several things come to mind: the obviously bigger and stronger Mount offense eventually beat down a game Berg defense. Boys were just plain worn out. I know Berg's passing stats were pretty weak, but I do think the wind played a role. A few of the passes in the 4th quarter were intended for receivers who found openings in the defense, but were knocked down by the wind and found their way to a Mount defender. One of the interceptions was on a pass that went in and out of the Berg receivers' hands.

One thing that Mount did extremely well was to adapt to Berg's weaknesses. I think they scored 4 times with the same pass play.

Please do not interpret any of this as an excuse. It is obvious that Mount was the better team, and in spite of the score, Berg did have some high moments. There were several times that they held Mount's offense to 3-and-out series. I look forward to seeing what they can accomplish in the future.

mr_mom

Spreads for Week # 8 Post-Em have been posted.
Never underestimate the stimulation of eccentricity.

PurpleSuit

Raider 68

Big game for ONU at home against a surprising JCU team. Both teams season record hinges on this game, IMHO! :)
13 time Division III National Champions

rscl70

Anybody know if ONU's starting QB will be back this week after the ankle injury at BW?
12-0 = 13

seventiesraider

Not sure I can agree with the assessment of JCU as surprising. They have the talent, at least for a couple years before they get disenchanted and quit or transfer. I'd call them consistently under performing with a rather unimaginative and disjointed offense

seventiesraider

This week Capital is ranked 236th in pass defense. Gonna be a long afternoon I have a feeling

Raider 68

Quote from: seventiesraider on October 18, 2011, 12:21:02 PM
This week Capital is ranked 236th in pass defense. Gonna be a long afternoon I have a feeling

Heavy doses of J. Collins and J. Murray, will be a long afternoon at Capital! ::)
13 time Division III National Champions