MBB: Coast 2 Coast Athletic Conference

Started by Mr. Ypsi, March 27, 2005, 10:16:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat Coleman

Oh my goodness ... and a big fan of the site as well. He passed too soon. We'll keep him in our thoughts.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

bbald eagle

Some things are more important than sports. May God have mercy on his soul.

Matt Letourneau

Rest In Peace, Nelson (ESAD)...

He was a great fan of division 3 sports, and especially the CUA Cardinals.  Many of you I'm sure would recognize him even if you didn't know him.  CUA games won't be the same without him.  I'm going to have to double my efforts towards the refs now without Nelson's help!

I hope the Cards have a great season in his honor this year. Even though he wasn't an alum, he took great pride in CUA and their success on and off the court.  He really cared about the team and the players.  His presence will be missed.

njlincolnlion

Condolences to the CUA Cardinals Basketball family and his family.    :(
Hold fast to dreams,
For if dreams die,
Life is a broken-winged bird
That cannot fly.

Langston Hughes, '29      
Supreme Court Justice Thurgood Marshall, '30

17 NCAA DIII Championships

want2b

good luck to all the squads. let the madness begin. hopefully th cards will have a great year

crazy_carl

Yes, the dawn of a new season is upon us.  Good luck to all the CAC teams.  Hopefully the chatter on the board will pick up a little now . . .

bbald eagle

Yup, it's pretty quiet on the board for the eve of tryouts and practices. Time to come to life ... the season will be on us soon!

Matt Letourneau

Congratulations to former head coach Mike Lonergan, who is being inducted into the CUA Athletic Hall of Fame tomorrow.  His CUA career record was 251-88.  Below is a press release from UVM.

Release Date: 10-14-2005

UVM's Lonergan To Be Inducted Into Catholic U. Hall of Fame
Author: Bruce R. Bosley
Email: Bruce.Bosley@uvm.edu
Phone: (802)656-1109 Fax: (802)656-8328

BURLINGTON, Vt. - University of Vermont head men's basketball coach Mike Lonergan will be inducted into the Catholic University Athletic Hall of Fame this weekend. A 1988 alumnus of Catholic U., Lonergan is one of five inductees to be honored Saturday evening at Caldwell Hall on the Washington, D.C. campus.

A basketball standout for the Cardinals as an undergrad, Lonergan was the head coach of his alma mater for 12 seasons from 1992 to 2004. He led Catholic to seven consecutive NCAA Division III Championship appearances and nine overall from 1992 to 2004. The pinnacle of his time at the helm at Catholic was in 2001 when he guided the team to NCAA Division III National Championship, the school's first and only national title.

The school's all-time winningest coach, he compiled a 251-88 (.740) record during his tenure at Catholic and his squad's averaged nearly 25 victories per season over his last seven years. Lonergan's winning percentage is eighth all-time among Division III coaches.

Lonergan left Catholic U. after the 2003-04 season to become an assistant on Gary Williams' staff at Maryland. After a year with the Terrapins in the ACC he was hired at Vermont to replace Tom Brennan, who retired after 19 seasons at UVM.

bisonpride

First of all, Congrats to Coach Lonergan for inducted into CUA's Hall of Fame. He deserved it.

At last, the basketball season had finally arrive from long vacation. Good Luck to all of the CAC teams.. Let's season begin.. Play Ball!

cugrad

jmccloskey

Personally, I'm looking forward to seeing what the new gym at York College looks like.  It'll definately be different not seeing them play in the kitchen (Wolf Gym) this year.

Go Spartans, Go!

bisonpride

Any thoughts on the NCAA Division III men's tournament expand the field to 59 teams from last year's 48 teams? Give out your opinions...

I think it's great idea and give a lot of schools with good record a opportunity to get in the play off. I would like to see it expand in 64 or 65 teams in future but it's a great leap from 48 to 59.. Hope it would keep 59 teams instead of decrease or go back to 48.

Matt Letourneau

Well, hopefully, it will mean 2 CAC teams, at least some years.  Certainly, there have been situations where I think a CAC team would have benefited. This year could be one of them. York is obviously going to be the favorite, but I do think my Cards will be improved over last year, which was still a 20 win season. 

It is extremely difficult to get back to the Final Four.  The year after Catholic's success, the team was ranked #1 during the regular season but sort of fell apart under the late season pressure. Yes, I know that Pat Maloney wasn't on that team, but it was still very talented. But unlike the year before, where there seemingly was no pressure, everyone brought their A game to Catholic and never let up. York is going to be in that situation this year.  We have no reason to think they won't handle it, but you never know. 

Dan Johnson

I don' think the York gym will be ready until mid season if at all.  At last check, it was going to be pushing it to even be in it all this year.  Go Spartans!

want2b

since practice has just started, this would be a good time to get everyones opinion on who they believe should be on  the cac pre-season all confrence team if they had one.