2021 D3 Men's Soccer National Perspective

Started by PaulNewman, September 01, 2021, 01:31:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ConnAlum

As predicted in the Fan Poll thread earlier W&L already dropping points in this slate of games v. Roanoke, Randolph-Macon and VA Wesleyan. Credits to Roanoke for holding them out to a draw tonight...W&L are an extremely talented side but they just haven't proven to me they deserve the #1 national ranking. I think they've been a bit overrated all year. Now they go up against two other top-half teams in the ODAC and need all 6 points to remain in Top 5-10 contention imo. Sounds like there are some W&L supporters on the board so good luck to them.

Also saw Otterbein beat Wilmington 3-2 in a game that easily could've gone either way. Stats were even everywhere besides Otterbein being ahead 6-1 in corner kicks. I'm sticking with my opinion that Wilmington is still a Top 20-25 squad at the moment and remain underrated nationally.

ConnAlum

Saw Cortland scored off a nice free kick v. Oneonta to beat them 1-0. Important W since they'll be riding that momentum into their game v. New Paltz tomorrow. Oneonta all over Cortland in the last 10 but couldn't generate anything...they've been dropping lots of games recently.

Lots of key matchups this Saturday --

Cortland v. New Paltz
Tufts v. Conn College
Montclair State v. Rowan
Calvin v. Hope
Chicago v. North Park
Christopher Newport v. Mary Washington
MIT v. Babson
RPI v. Ithaca
Wabash v. Ohio Wesleyan
Wheaton MA v. Coast Guard

PaulNewman

And then there were none....

Trinity (TX) held to a 1-1 draw in San Antonio last night, and now there are zero unbeaten, untied teams in D3.  St Thomas (TX) leveled in the 75th minute via a PK.  St Thomas had 7 cards compared to 1 for Trinity.

As an aside, is there a reason there isn't a link that works on the site for St. Thomas?  Are they provisional D3?  Or now NAIA?

Same questions for UW-Platteville that comes up blank when you click on the link, and I can't find UW-Platteville affiliated with any conference or listed with Independents.

PaulNewman

In the you don't know much about them but should category...

Unusual for a NESCAC to need/deserve more media attention, and Mr.Right certainly does his part, but I don't know anyone who saw this Wesleyan season coming.  Prospects of course can unravel quickly, but the Cardinals are 9-2-2 (4-2-2) and regionally ranked.  If selections were being made today I'd guess Wesleyan would earn a Pool C.  They have two regular season game left, both at home...today with Hamilton and then Conn Coll.  They need to win at least one of those.  They may end up short on ranked wins, unless Bowdoin can snare a ranking and in that sense a win over Conn would be far more valuable than one over Hamilton.  They do have the draw with Amherst.  It's possible Wes will benefit on RvR from a weak Region II but who knows if Springfield and Coast Guard will hold on to a regional ranking.  A first round win in the NESCAC tourney almost might be vital (and perhaps another chance for a ranked win).

Anybody got the low-down on Ithaca?  Only 7-4-4 overall but 5-0-1 in the topsy-turvy Liberty League. 

MIT seems too unknown for a 12-2-1 team that is regionally ranked and as of today holds ranked wins over Wheaton (MA), Springfield and Coast Guard.  Thye're playing a good Babson team now and close with a tough WPI before the NEWMAC tourney.  Some are still questioning if MIT is legit, but they showed well in a 1-0 loss to Tufts early in the season.

Other little advertised, under the radar teams from my pov are Vassar, amazingly still St Olaf, C-M-S, Redlands, Dubuque, Mary Hardin-Baylor, Gettysburg, UW-Platteville, St Joseph's (ME), and surprisingly, frequent NJAC front-runners, Rowan and Rutgers-Newark.

d4_Pace

I was very impressed by both Wesleyan and MIT in their losses to Tufts. MIT was opening night so I was kind of writing off the game. NESCAC teams can struggle in their openers given it is usually their opponents third game of the season. But MIT has backed up that performance the rest of the season to prove it was not a fluke.

In the Wesleyan game Tufts scored two goals in like 3 minutes early in the second half and I thought they were going to open the flood gates. But Wesleyan recovered, scored a goal to cut the deficit, and played really well the final 25 minutes. They never really threatened to equalize but it was a solid performance that showed a very strong mentality.

I'm happy to see Wesleyan turn it around after a few down years. Coach Wheeler was one of the nicest coaches I interacted with. My first game back from an injury my sophomore year was against Wes and as I subbed in he checked in to see how I was doing and to wish me luck. I was impressed that he knew about this and reached out considering he had never recruited me or spoken to me before.

PaulNewman

Quote from: d4_Pace on October 23, 2021, 02:33:09 PM
I was very impressed by both Wesleyan and MIT in their losses to Tufts. MIT was opening night so I was kind of writing off the game. NESCAC teams can struggle in their openers given it is usually their opponents third game of the season. But MIT has backed up that performance the rest of the season to prove it was not a fluke.

In the Wesleyan game Tufts scored two goals in like 3 minutes early in the second half and I thought they were going to open the flood gates. But Wesleyan recovered, scored a goal to cut the deficit, and played really well the final 25 minutes. They never really threatened to equalize but it was a solid performance that showed a very strong mentality.

I'm happy to see Wesleyan turn it around after a few down years. Coach Wheeler was one of the nicest coaches I interacted with. My first game back from an injury my sophomore year was against Wes and as I subbed in he checked in to see how I was doing and to wish me luck. I was impressed that he knew about this and reached out considering he had never recruited me or spoken to me before.

I second that on Wheeler.  Way past the normal recruiting window in late December or January of my son's senior year he sent a dozen or so coaches an email and a 10 minute tape he put together himself, and Wheeler responded right away, clearly had watched the tape and was very complimentary, and just was classy especially since he wasn't going to pursue my kid that late but invited him to tryout if he went there.  Pilger at Trinity was funny because his main focus was an interest in the music in the video.  The Union coach just freaked because my son was very upfront with everyone about being gene positive (but disease negative) for a cardiac condition I have associated with sudden death in young athletes, and as I've noted before the Colby coach was very engaging, maintained contact, and after son accepted offered to him go thru preseason but wouldn't commit to a spot.

PaulNewman

And here comes Calvin.  Classic Knights....up 2-0 at half on Hope on only 3 shots while Hope had 5 shots.

PaulNewman

Montclair vs Rowan is getting super chippy.  Ref trying to maintain control but it's slipping away.  Rowan already down to 10 men and Montclair just scored to go up 1-0 after a great save by GK just 45 secs before. 

2-0.

fishercats

Quote from: PaulNewman on October 23, 2021, 07:59:03 PM
And here comes Calvin.  Classic Knights....up 2-0 at half on Hope on only 3 shots while Hope had 5 shots.

Calvin made Hope look pedestrian. While the stats looked pretty even, the general feel of game is that Calvin looked more dangerous than Hope. Hope seems disciplined and strong tactically. But they never seem to break through in the final third. On the other hand, Calvin seems as dangerous and strong as ever. And they can finish.

3-0 final. 2-0 most of the game and Calvin scored on a counter in the final few minutes while Hope was pressing. Hope missed a pk in the final minutes. Looks like there was a good crowd in the stands...nice to see a good rivalry.

Gregory Sager

Chicago beat North Park, 1-0. The lone goal came 33 seconds before halftime, when Gillespie of UC took a deep-angle shot that was going slightly off-frame, but NPU keeper Sward got his arm out to block it in case it was ticketed to carom off of the far post and into the net. His arm was extended out far enough to make the ball too difficult for him to grab, and it bounced off of his wrist and right to UC's Lane on the far side of the box, who pounded home the rebound for the game-winner. It's easy to blame Sward using 20/20 hindsight, but, given the situation and the angle, I think that most keepers would've stuck out their arms to stop the shot as Sward did, just to be on the safe side.

Both teams had plenty of chances, but I thought that the Maroons played better than did the Vikings, especially in transition. I commented on the air that I thought the difference was that Chicago, with its absurdly difficult schedule and its ongoing gauntlet of UAA contests, looked like a team ready to play the #12 team in the country, while NPU, which played a good non-conference schedule but has spent the better part of a month now rolling through a CCIW that is only a middling men's soccer league even in the best of times and is certainly down this season even from that, did not look like a team ready to play the #11 team in the country.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

deiscanton

Some random thoughts.... :)

Region I-- Wesleyan defeated Hamilton, 3-1, on Wesleyan's Senior Day yesterday, and the Cardinals get to host the NESCAC first place team, Connecticut College, in Middletown, CT on Tuesday in their last regular season game before the NESCAC tournament opens on Saturday.  Conn College gets home field advantage throughout the NESCAC tournament with a win on Tuesday due to the Camels's victory over Tufts yesterday.

Region II-- Based on looking at the resumes of the top 2 Commonwealth Coast teams, (Roger Williams and Endicott), the MASCAC top team (Salem State), and the NECC top team (Eastern Nazarene), and comparing those resumes to the Springfield and Coast Guard resumes, I believe that it is more likely than not that the 6 NEWMAC teams that are listed this week in the first week's Region II rankings will remain the same in the Week 3 rankings based on the head to head results of Roger Williams, Endicott, Salem State, and Eastern Nazarene vs the NEWMAC's top 6 teams.  Of those 4 teams that I listed outside of NEWMAC, only Eastern Nazarene has a head to head win over a NEWMAC top 6 team (Wheaton (MA)), and both Springfield and Coast Guard beat Wheaton (MA) this season as well.   Roger Williams lost vs Wheaton (MA), MIT, and WPI.  Endicott lost vs Wheaton (MA), WPI, MIT, and Springfield.  Salem State lost vs Wheaton (MA).   At the very least, I believe that it is more likely than not that Springfield and Coast Guard will be regionally ranked in Region II when the Week 3 rankings get released. 

Salem State is the only MASCAC team with a winning percentage above .500. 

Western New England is currently in 8th place in the Commonwealth Coast Conference with 1 game left to play on Tuesday. :) The CCC tournament field is set with Nichols and UNE failing to qualify for the CCC playoffs, but Western New England could be playing in the #7/#8 game this Thursday and would need 4 knock-out wins to qualify for the NCAAs.

Region III-- Mount St Vincent, who upset NYU earlier this season,  clinched the #2 seed in the Skyline Conference tournament last night thanks to a 2-1 win at Sarah Lawrence combined with a Manhattanville 3-0 win over Mount St Mary.  Mt St Vincent has a 3 pt lead over Mt St Mary for 2nd place with 1 game left, and the CMSV Dolphins defeated Mount St Mary in Skyline Conference play earlier this season.  Manhattanville just needs 1 point on Tuesday over Old Westbury to clinch the #1 seed in the Skyline Conference tournament.  Both Manhattanville and Mount St Vincent will get first round byes on Saturday's first round and will play their semifinal games at home on Wednesday, November 3.

Update--D3Soccer.com's website incorrectly shows the Mount St Vincent v Sarah Lawrence contest as a Sarah Lawrence 2-1 win.  That is probably due to the way that Sarah Lawrence displayed their live stats of the match-- they had the CMSV lineup listed as Sarah Lawrence and vice versa in the live stats.  The final box score as posted on the Mt St Vincent, Sarah Lawrence, and Skyline Conference websites accurately shows the final score as a Mt St Vincent 2-1 win over Sarah Lawrence.  Mt St Vincent's record is 11-1-2.

Region VI-- Piedmont's regular season got extended a few days. The Lions were unable to play Covenant yesterday due to travel issues, and are scheduled to play their rescheduled match tomorrow.  However, Piedmont was able to get the help they needed to stay alive for a playoff spot in the USA South conference tournament, thanks to both Huntingdon and LaGrange losing their games.

In particular, Brevard, who entered yesterday's game vs LaGrange needing a win to qualify for the USA South tournament, defeated LaGrange, 1-0 yesterday.  In the process, Brevard qualified for the conference tournament, and LaGrange's season comes to an end this week.

If Piedmont gets 3 points at Covenant on Monday, the Lions will clinch the #3 seed in the West Division and will play Covenant again at NC Wesleyan (#2 in East Division) on Saturday's opening round.  Brevard (West #4) would play at Maryville (TN) (West #1) William Peace (#1 in East Division), and Huntingdon's season would be over.  If Covenant ties or wins vs Piedmont on Monday, then Piedmont's season would be over; Huntingdon (West #4) would play at Maryville (TN) William Peace and Brevard (#3 seed in West Division) would play at NC Wesleyan in the opening round of the USA South Conference tournament.

9:17 AM Eastern October 25 update-- In the USA South Conference Tournament first round on Saturday, October 30, Averett (#4 in East Division) travels to Maryville (TN) (#1 in West Division), and Greensboro (#3 in East Division) plays at Covenant (#2 in West Division)  The first round of the USA South Conference Tournament is the first time this year where the USA South teams who qualified for the conference tournament play across divisions.

Update-- The start time of the match between Piedmont and Covenant is at 6 PM Eastern Monday Oct 25 (as of this update-- the match is less than 12 hours away), and links to the match are on the D3Soccer.com website.

Monday, Oct. 25-- 6:35 PM Eastern update-- It looks like Piedmont's season will be ending tonight.  Covenant is already up 2-0 on the Lions in the 32nd minute.  Huntingdon must be breathing a sigh of relief right now-- the Hawks lost to Maryville (TN) on Saturday by 8 goals (10-2 Maryville win)-- and yet it looks Huntingdon will still be able to qualify for the USA South Tournament as the West Division's #4 seed with a trip to William Peace on Saturday.

Monday Oct. 25-- 7:16 PM Eastern update-- Piedmont's season will end tonight.  Covenant is up 3-0 in the 61st minute, and there doesn't seem to be any indication that the Lions will be able to score 3 goals in the rest of the second half to send this match to extra time.  Assuming this scoreline stands, Piedmont's season will end at 6 wins and 10 losses (and a 6th place finish in the USA South West Division).

Monday Oct 25-- 7:50 PM Eastern update-- Final:  Covenant 4, Piedmont 1 and the Covenant Scots celebrate by playing the famous "Shipping Up to Boston" song by the Dropkick Murphys over their PA system.

PaulNewman

I've been watching some of Colorado Coll at St Thomas in Houston that headed into OT 1-1.  Impressive, huge field with apparently room for 3200 and sometimes USMNT and USWNT maybe train there, and they use another facility that is the training ground for Houston MLS and NWLS teams.  Anyway, game like some other West Coast and Trinity games seems very wide open with multiple scoring chances on both ends.  Both teams should have scored several times.  Wonder if the more open, offensive playing style hurts these West region teams when they get to NCAA.  There's clearly a lot of skill and offensive prowess out there.

St Thomas misses on a PK in 1st OT.  Didn't see foul but St T player down in box for long time which maybe froze the PK taker. CC comes down and almost immediately scores on other end.

And finally after like 5th breakaway that CC kept giving up repeatedly St Thomas gets one to go in.  So many chances both ways, but more to St Thomas.

Good passing, some good skill, but overall feel of the game was more like a good pickup, full-court bball game compared to what many of us are used to.

PaulNewman

I admit up front that I am not a licensed, board-certified meteorologist, but the forecast for Eastern, Southeastern, and probably most of Massachusetts looks grim.  Up to 80 mph wind gust projected on the New England coast and loads and loads of rain.  You know it's bad when they start talking about a bomb cyclone.  I'll let others speak to their specific areas but indications are that much of the Atlantic coast and I would assume a good ways inland in PA, Jersey, NY, Maine, and maybe more are in for a significant weather event.

Sticking with Massachusetts, Tuesday AND Wednesday appear to be unplayable conditions.  Even Thursday I would think games would be limited to turf fields and there may be downed power lines and power outages.  Then there appears to be a very good chance for significant rain and wind again over the weekend.  I wouldn't be surprised to see weekend games get moved to Monday/Tuesday, and again, grass fields may not be playable yet.

D3SoccerTalker

Subtle shakeup in the rankings coming from d3soccer.com earlier today, featuring a new #1. Thoughts on this ranking board juxtaposed to the impending new pool soon to come from USC?

jknezek

Most people on this board are bigger fans of the D3soccer poll than the USC poll. I suspect W&L will have fallen out of the top spot in both polls, but not very far from the top spot.