Started by cameltime, April 27, 2005, 02:38:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

P'bearfan

Additional Bowdoin recruits:

Liam Farley -- 6'4", SG, Chicago Latin, Chicago, IL
Neil Fuller -- 6'6", F, Marist School, Atlanta, GA

lefrakenstein

Quote from: nescac1 on April 17, 2013, 06:08:06 AM
Here is an updated NESCAC recruiting list, with some additions from various sources, including another Amherst recruit.  Again, nothing so far to suggest anything but Amherst, Midd, Tufts, and Williams continuing to load up with additional talent for next year.  Hamilton is bringing in a TON of badly needed size.  With Matt Hart around for three more years, Adam Stockwell may be building something there, although it will take a while for the big guys to mature. 

AMHERST RECRUITS
Jacob Nabatoff---6'8 C, Charlotte Latin HS,  Charlotte, NC
Reid Berman---  6'0 PG, New Trier, IL
Jeff Racy---6'4 G, Ridgefield HS, Ridgefield, CT
Diego Magana -- 6'5 SG, Desert Mountain H.S., Arizona
Possibly Christien Wright?   

BATES RECRUITS
Connor McLeod ---6'2 G, Needham HS, MA
Max Eaton -- 6'7 F, Phillips Exeter Academy, MA
Kenny Harringon -- 6'5 G St. John's Shrewsbury, MA

BOWDOIN RECRUITS

Jack Hewitt -- 6'7 C, Scarsdale H.S. , NY

COLBY RECRUITS
Myles Stephenson -- 6'0 PG, Poly Prep, NY

CONNECTICUT COLLEGE RECRUITS
Colin Pasco---6'5 F, Suffield Academy,

HAMILTON RECRUITS
Weston Wilbur---6'4 F, Wilton HS, Wilton, CT
Alex Addesi--- 6'8 F/C, Staples HS,  Westport CT
Carlos Fineman -- 6'8 F, College Prep HS, CA
Brett Busscher -- 6'7 F, Loyola Academy, IL

MIDDLEBURY RECRUITS
Bryan Jones---6'1 G, Loomis Chaffee/Christian Heritage, CT
Matt St. Amour --6'2 G, Missisquoi HS, VT
Liam Naughton---6'2 G, Darien HS, CT
Jake Brown -- 5'11 PG, Wallenpaupack HS, PA

TRINITY RECRUITS
Ken Yajima - PG, American School (Japan)
Brian Horn - PG, Pascack Hills HS (NJ)

TUFTS RECRUITS
Hunter Sabety---6'8 C, Oceanside HS, Oceanside, NY
Tarik Smith---- 6'0 PG, Cheshire Academy, Concord, NH
Drew Madsen--- 6'6 F, St. Augustine's HS, San Diego, CA

WESLEYAN RECRUITS
Harry Rafferty---5'11 PG, Berwick/Phillips Exeter, Durham, NH
Joe Connelly---6'2 SG, Beaver Country Day, Boston, MA
Davis Reid---6'2 G, Phillips Exeter, Kansas City, MO
Joseph Kuo---6'9 C, Governors Academy, MA

WILLIAMS RECRUITS
Duncan Robinson---6'7 F, Phillips Exeter/Governors, Newcastle, NH
Daniel Aronowitz---6'5 F, Columbus Academy, Columbus, OH
Mike Greenman--- 5'9 PG , St Augustine Prep, Linwood, NJ

Nice find. +1. Looks like Diego is a strong contributor at a top HS program... Nationally ranked. Hopefully that bodes well for his ability to adjust quickly to NESCAC competition. His adjustment to New England weather is another matter.

EDIT: here's a story and some video: http://d1nation.com/2012/06/04/2013-g-65-diego-magana-scottsdale-desert-mountain-az/

middhoops

Just for fun, Google "Jake Brown Wallenpaupack".  He may be a 5-11 PG (and Jeff's nephew) but he put up big numbers as a senior. 

toad22

Williams was hoping for one or two more kids, but The three we got are really good. A bit like Crotty, Coffin, and Abba.

P'bearfan

Quote from: SE_D3_fan on April 17, 2013, 08:53:56 AM
Additional Bowdoin recruits:

Liam Farley -- 6'4", SG, Chicago Latin, Chicago, IL
Neil Fuller -- 6'6", F, Marist School, Atlanta, GA

Videos of Farley and Fuller:

http://www.ncsasports.org/mens-basketball-recruiting/il/chicago/latin-school-of-chicago/liam-farley

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rz1fwjaeXpQ

P'bearfan

grabtherim

These highlight compilations are a joke.  For the most part, coaches pay no attention to them.  The only ones who like them are the guys who rip off the parents when they tell them that coaches want to see such crap.  If you want to sell, I mean show your son to a coach, pick a game or two or three and send the FULL GAME tape not a slick ESPN like package with music and effects. I saw one posted the other day which had animated flames coming out of the rim after a kid dunked.  I'm sure many of these kids can compete in the NESCSAC or elsewhere, but I'm also sure I can edit a package of a 4th string high school player and make him look like the next coming. 

middhoops

I somewhat mildly disagree.
You can tell from these composites whether a kid has vertical leap, a quick release, ball handling skills and upper body strength.
Of course they don't show missed shots, getting beat on defense or not hustling.  Regardless, as a coach, there is plenty here to find intriguing or ignore. 
I find Hunter Sabety to be intriguing.  Actually, to the point where I kinda wish my D1 local fave had taken a flier on him.
Having seen Matt St. Amour, however; I'll guarantee you he's better than the vids.

madzillagd

Quote from: grabtherim on April 18, 2013, 04:18:47 PM
These highlight compilations are a joke.  For the most part, coaches pay no attention to them.  The only ones who like them are the guys who rip off the parents when they tell them that coaches want to see such crap.  If you want to sell, I mean show your son to a coach, pick a game or two or three and send the FULL GAME tape not a slick ESPN like package with music and effects. I saw one posted the other day which had animated flames coming out of the rim after a kid dunked.  I'm sure many of these kids can compete in the NESCSAC or elsewhere, but I'm also sure I can edit a package of a 4th string high school player and make him look like the next coming.

No comment on the flames  ::)  but I've heard both sides of this when it comes to video.  Some coaches like the short clips to start with because it's a much easier way to weed out a kid in a short period of time without watching a full game.  If that's supposedly the best you have and it isn't very good, why invest in watching 2, 3, 4 quarters of basketball or more.  It can be a real time saver.  But ultimately, every coach wants to see a full game (or more) to see how you operate not just on your best play but every play. 

Old Guy

One of the Colby kids put together a short highlight video of the season

Nice video. Hard not to notice, though, all those empty seats. As the team improves, I hope the fans come back. Mules have a great basketball tradition.

Old Guy

Here's a small part of the recap of Midd's 2nd baseball game last Saturday with Hamilton:

John Popkowski (1-0) picked up the win in relief, throwing three innings of no-hit ball. Sinnickson finished 5-6 with a triple, while Merryman was 3-7 . Kelly, Morris and Lind each added two hits in the game.

Fun. We may not be the best baseball team this spring in NESCAC, but we're the tallest. If a basketball game breaks out between innings, my money's on the Panthers.

P'bearfan

Quote from: middhoops on April 18, 2013, 06:13:42 PM
I somewhat mildly disagree.
You can tell from these composites whether a kid has vertical leap, a quick release, ball handling skills and upper body strength.
Of course they don't show missed shots, getting beat on defense or not hustling.  Regardless, as a coach, there is plenty here to find intriguing or ignore. 
I find Hunter Sabety to be intriguing.  Actually, to the point where I kinda wish my D1 local fave had taken a flier on him.
Having seen Matt St. Amour, however; I'll guarantee you he's better than the vids.

I agree that the videos can give you a good snapshot of the basics but you still have to be careful.  Take Hunter Sabety for example.  It's clear that he has size, athelticism and some nice skills.  I have no doubt that he'll do well in the NESCAC.  However, if you watch the video closely (at the least the one I saw) you'll notice he's a good 4" taller and probably 20+ lbs heavier than almost everyone else on the court. The caliber of the competition you've played against makes a big difference - especially in your first year or two at the next level.

NEhoops

Great point. I think whenever talent is evaluated coaches have to figure out (project) if players can create their own shot. A lot of times players are able to put up points based on poor defense and/or playing against opponents that are smaller/less athletic. Hitting open shots created by the action of a teammate is much different then shooting contested shots against disciplined NESCAC defenses. 

gordonmann

It's been a couple days since someone posted something about Amherst's championship. So here's a new blog post from a former Lord Jeff.

madzillagd

Pretty sure every coach in the league would accept this 14 yr old based on his highlights alone...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=If7Hrcf04Dw