Cortland
11 (64.7%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Voting closed: November 12, 2011, 08:57:55 AM

RedDragonFan

Quote from: Jonny "Utes" Utah on November 15, 2011, 02:05:45 PM
Quote from: Bombers798891 on November 15, 2011, 02:03:00 PM
Quote from: Jonny "Utes" Utah on November 15, 2011, 01:03:52 PM
Bombers why did Sulla only get one carry?

I would assume injury. He didn't play against Alfred, so there's probably something there. But the Bombers' pretty much abandoned the run early anyway, so what good would he have done? There's no getting around it: Without a significant upgrade on the offensive line, who the Bombers start at RB is irrelevant. I don't see there being a Giorgio/Maddi or Donovan/Baez dichotomy in the backfield where one guy is a bigger, more powerful back and the other is more shifty and faster. Nadien and Sulla strike me as essentially the same back.

It would help if those guys could catch. Jamie Free and Dan Ross were fullbacks, but they were also great at catching passes, and Free was really good in the open field. They were legitimate options in the passing game. Free caught close to 100 passes. Ross was banged up a lot, but he finished with like eight touchdowns receiving. Sure, Bergerstock, Donovan and Baez weren't threats to do it, but they didn't have to be because they could run. (Well, I think Bergerstock was more about his line than anything else, but still.)

But these guys are pretty one-dimensional, and the line issues make it impossible for them to have an impact

I haven't watched that close the past few years, but has Ithaca decided to run a basic RB screen yet?

Don't believe there were any screens called Saturday anyway and it would seem to be a viable option.  Cortland is aggressive when it comes to pass rushing.  That combined with a weak O line would seem to be the perfect set up.

Jonny Utah

Quote from: Bombers798891 on November 15, 2011, 02:15:32 PM

I would assume injury. He didn't play against Alfred, so there's probably something there. But the Bombers' pretty much abandoned the run early anyway, so what good would he have done? There's no getting around it: Without a significant upgrade on the offensive line, who the Bombers start at RB is irrelevant. I don't see there being a Giorgio/Maddi or Donovan/Baez dichotomy in the backfield where one guy is a bigger, more powerful back and the other is more shifty and faster. Nadien and Sulla strike me as essentially the same back.

It would help if those guys could catch. Jamie Free and Dan Ross were fullbacks, but they were also great at catching passes, and Free was really good in the open field. They were legitimate options in the passing game. Free caught close to 100 passes. Ross was banged up a lot, but he finished with like eight touchdowns receiving. Sure, Bergerstock, Donovan and Baez weren't threats to do it, but they didn't have to be because they could run. (Well, I think Bergerstock was more about his line than anything else, but still.)

But these guys are pretty one-dimensional, and the line issues make it impossible for them to have an impact

I haven't watched that close the past few years, but has Ithaca decided to run a basic RB screen yet?

Here's what's astounding about that. Welch called one in the 2008 Jug and it worked perfectly, and would up being something like a 30-yard touchdown. But by and large, we never call screen passes. Blows my mind. You would think with a terrible offensive line, defenders wouldn't know the difference between out guys letting them through and actually attempting to stop them, but it's never been a staple of the playbook.

So I could be correct in saying that Ithaca has run 1 screen since 1993?  (The year I got to Ithaca)

Bombers798891

Quote from: Jonny "Utes" Utah on November 15, 2011, 02:19:32 PM

Here's what's astounding about that. Welch called one in the 2008 Jug and it worked perfectly, and would up being something like a 30-yard touchdown. But by and large, we never call screen passes. Blows my mind. You would think with a terrible offensive line, defenders wouldn't know the difference between out guys letting them through and actually attempting to stop them, but it's never been a staple of the playbook.

So I could be correct in saying that Ithaca has run 1 screen since 1993?  (The year I got to Ithaca)

You could be, my friend.

AUPepBand

Quote from: Jonny "Utes" Utah on November 15, 2011, 02:19:32 PM

Pep was watching ICTV's "Gridiron Report" with clips from the Frostburg State game. From Pep's limited observation, it was a well-executed screen pass that sparked a late Bomber offensive spurt that beat the Bobcats.

Pep used to play a pretty cool NFL game on his PC (before Madden was the craze). When the opposing defense became super aggressive, blitzing on a regular basis, Pep would go to the screen pass...was pure joy to see Pep's RB or TE advancing 25 to 30 yards or, many times, break it for a TD.

On another note, Pep heard this morning that deer season opens Saterday and that, in NYS, the deer permit includes permission to take one bear. Pep is exited to go on a bear hunt this Saterday.

On Saxon Warriors!

On Saxon Warriors! On to Victory!
...Fight, fight for Alfred, A-L-F, R-E-D!

AUKaz00

Quote from: AUPepBand on November 16, 2011, 08:28:52 AM
On another note, Pep heard this morning that deer season opens Saterday and that, in NYS, the deer permit includes permission to take one bear. Pep is exited to go on a bear hunt this Saterday.

On Saxon Warriors!

Pep even recorded a song for the occassion!
Check out the official card game of the AU Pep Band - Str8 Eight!