Liberty League

Started by Saint of Old, August 12, 2014, 12:14:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr.Right

RPI and Oneonta underway....RPI in a 4-2-3-1 and so far looks to be an even game. Neither team with any good looks as of yet

Mr.Right

0-0 RPI v Oneonta 60th minute...Been tuning in and out but RPI has hung with Oneonta all game. Honestly when i have tuned in there has not been many chances for either team. I will say if RPI sits with 6 in a 4-2-3-1 they have proven to me they are going to be tough to break down this year. This is definitely an improved RPI side compared to 2016 and 2017. If they play defensively like they have tonight they are easily a Top 6 side in the LL. I would say they even have a shot a competing for the title but I have not seen any other LL teams in 2018 besides SLU. SLU has more skill and talent than RPI but that does not mean they will be able to break them down and score.

Mr.Right

I will say not sure about RPI's GK just yet but they are 2-2-0 with a 1-0 loss at UR and a 2-0 loss to Nazareth who have been down the past few years but years ago they used to have a strong side. Box score of the Nazareth side was RPI outshooting Nazareth 19-7 and losing 2-0 so maybe a little unlucky there bu looking closer I noticed Nazareth's 1st goal was "off a GK bobble" which is never great to read in a box score. GK has not really been tested tonight from what I have seen and yes I know Oneonta is not quite as strong this year as in years past but still a very respectable scoreline so far for RPI.

Mr.Right

Perfect...After all that love for RPI, Oneonta secures a ball at midfield play a little 1-2 and with speed down the flank they get service into the box..RPI defender caught glaringly BALL WATCHING and Oneonta striker steps right up and taps it in....GK no chance..1-0 Oneonta about 20 minutes left...No we might get an idea if RPI has anything in the tank and on the field to get a goal back. In the past couple of years RPI has not had anything close to resembling a striker that can score goals so I am not expecting much....Adam Clinton will be going NUTS when he sees the video of his CB stranding and watching the ball while the Oneonta striker calmly taps the ball in the back of the net...

Mr.Right

RPI ties it up 1-1 about 15 minutes left...Frosh Striker #12 Billy Chissoe takes advantage of an Oneonta defender one-timing a long ball by RPI backwards toward his net and Chissoe gets a hold of the ball at the top of the box takes a touch with his left foot away from a defender and RIPS it with his left foot into the panel...Nice strike especially if that kid is not left-footed...1-1

Mr.Right

Game ends 1-1 RPI v Oneonta....Pretty fun game to watch and very even match...Solid result for RPI

stlawus

SLU has had considerable success against RPI over the years but they have never been easy games.  RPI always puts up a fight.  Clinton has them in good shape and there is no such thing as an easy match against them.  Most of SLU's wins against them have come off of goals in the first half and then having to defend the rest of the game to hold them off.    With the way Clarkson and Ithaca are playing I think the LL might be more competitive than I originally envisioned.

d3d3d3

Potsdam 2, Hobart 1

Game-winner was an own goal in 83rd minute

deutschfan

First league game today.  Game could decide the last playoff spot even at this early date.  Ithaca, SLU and Clarkson have had the most impressive preseasons to date.  Nice to see the LL getting results against opponents like Oneonta and Hamilton.  Totally agree that the league will be extremely competitive and there easily could be a 2 or 3 loss team taking the regular season title.  Let the fun begin.

Saint of Old

Skidmore leading by a goal heading into the second half.
I agree, neither team can afford to drop this one really.

The league is very competitive this year.
Someone who normally makes it in will be left out.

Mr.Right

BIG SAVE by Skidmore's GK on a dangerous free kick by Union right outside the box...Not sure who took that for Union but it was a nasty strike...Good save by Skidmore GK as they are up 2-0 late in the game.

stlawus

Very poor performance by SLU today so far.   Cortland is obviously a top team, but SLU has absolutely no sense of urgency.  Defense caught ball watching in the 1st minute to concede and now a missed PK to boot.   

stlawus

And that seals it.  Very nice run by Cortland to get past the defense and a nice finish.  Definite disparity between these teams.  SLU will have a rough go of it if they are this lackadaisical in the regular season. 

Saint of Old

Not sure if I agree.
This was a good game by SLU.
They are controlling the possession and were unfortunate to let in an early goal and missing a penalty which could have changed the momentum big time.
Credit just has to go to Cortland... so far... an experienced team who weathered the storm well and took their chances.