FB: Commonwealth Coast Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:57:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pumkinattack

You guys do realize Kevin was a 4.0 student in medical sciences and played DI lacrosse and a year of football (had foot problems or he would've played all four) before spending over a decade building Hobart into a national program recruiting both a national DPOY and the highest NFL draft pick out of D3 ever right?  I played with a Kevin and we were just starting to build something at a historically atrocious football program under Coach Cragg. 

My point is there's something amiss if he couldn't make it work there.  Even if he did bulk up to a pretty nasty SOS the prior few years.

NED3Guy

I agree....there has to be some underlying issues as to why the Endicott program has fallen on hard times as of late. Kevin is a winner, he did things the right way, and will be successful at his next landing spot (Rochester maybe????).

Hopefully that administration is ready to address those issues and get things back on track with the new coach.

This conference will be VERY strong regionally once Endicott gets it rolling again, and Husson joins. WNE, Husson, a hopefully revived Endicott, Curry and Salve all capable of beating anybody. Each will also get some great out of conference wins to boost the league profile.

pumkinattack

They fired him for a lack of success (again, on a pretty tough SOS), so it tells me mgt there blames him for the lack of success.  I fail to see how an assistant at a one decent season at Union College against a weak schedule (they beat us, which is what it is, Hobart crapped the bed this year with the personnel they had) is going to have more success under the same administration.  Color me skeptical until something else higher up the chain changes.  I'm not saying the AD is bad or has to go, but Kevin was a good hire and they decided they could do better.  Where's the superior overall resume?  I really thought he'd have them at the top, they always came to play against Hobart a lot tougher than LL and E8 teams in the past few years and played better than they did against Mass competition. 

fulbakdad

Pumpkin,

I think your view could be a little subjective.  If you look at the trend at Endicott, they are getting worse, not better under him.  This allowed Curry and Salve to slip ahead of them.

Where do you get the one time assistant at Union?  The new Head Coach was the Associate Head Coach and Offensive Coordinator at Assumption, d2, who has had a very good run the last couple years.

Jonny Utah

Quote from: pumkinattack on December 07, 2017, 01:10:30 AM
They fired him for a lack of success (again, on a pretty tough SOS), so it tells me mgt there blames him for the lack of success.  I fail to see how an assistant at a one decent season at Union College against a weak schedule (they beat us, which is what it is, Hobart crapped the bed this year with the personnel they had) is going to have more success under the same administration.  Color me skeptical until something else higher up the chain changes.  I'm not saying the AD is bad or has to go, but Kevin was a good hire and they decided they could do better.  Where's the superior overall resume?  I really thought he'd have them at the top, they always came to play against Hobart a lot tougher than LL and E8 teams in the past few years and played better than they did against Mass competition.

Paul McGonagle was the offensive coordinator at Assumption last year and had one of the best offenses in the country.  Who is the Union assistant you are talking about?  I would say McGonagle's resume is much better that DeWall's as well.  Maybe DeWall couldn't recruit New England that well?  Maybe he didn't had great administrative skills?  Maybe he wasn't a leader?  Maybe the kids didn't like him? 

Just because you can't win doesn't mean it is the AD or schools fault.  From the outside, it looks like he didn't get a fair shot (3 years at a d3 school is pretty quick for a firing).  Maybe McGongagle showed interest and Endicott made the move?

And just because you have success at Hobart as a coordinator for 14 years doesn't mean you will be a great head coach. 

pumkinattack

Referring to the Ben Martin talk forgot they hired a guy.  I'm not saying he would 100% be successful, although record in isolation of SOS (#19 in all of D3) is misleading of course as you al know.  Maybe he failed and maybe these comments are blind optimism.  Or
Maybe the new coach is better, but he was fired after three years having built a heck of an experience (Utes, you should know better, remember 1990s and early 1990s Hobart football?) and proven track record building a program.  Maybe it's just blond optimiskm, but given his background, experience and track record in recruiting, coaching and developing players (and I reject he idea he's not a good Mgt, trust me he's all business, that I'd take to my grave, and a very smart and hard working guy-see my comment on his college background).

My point is no one is asking why this guy who's record regressed but has build a 10+ yr track record building success at century old program that had no success previously.  Obviously a Cragg, Yoder and others contributed to it as well, but I don't see anyone asking why this happened at this point given these circumstances but would rather just say "F it, he sucks, our new guy will definitely make us Stagg bound in a couple of years"

pumkinattack

Also, I'd take him back and bounce Drach in a heartbeat.  Have no doubt our offense would've performed better the past three years w him calling plays.  Have heard from a certain NFL player that Drachs calls are complex taking the kids half a season to really get comfortable w and the blocks are required to be held way too long at this level. 

Jonny Utah

Quote from: pumkinattack on December 07, 2017, 12:33:12 PM
Referring to the Ben Martin talk forgot they hired a guy.  I'm not saying he would 100% be successful, although record in isolation of SOS (#19 in all of D3) is misleading of course as you al know.  Maybe he failed and maybe these comments are blind optimism.  Or
Maybe the new coach is better, but he was fired after three years having built a heck of an experience (Utes, you should know better, remember 1990s and early 1990s Hobart football?) and proven track record building a program.  Maybe it's just blond optimiskm, but given his background, experience and track record in recruiting, coaching and developing players (and I reject he idea he's not a good Mgt, trust me he's all business, that I'd take to my grave, and a very smart and hard working guy-see my comment on his college background).

My point is no one is asking why this guy who's record regressed but has build a 10+ yr track record building success at century old program that had no success previously.  Obviously a Cragg, Yoder and others contributed to it as well, but I don't see anyone asking why this happened at this point given these circumstances but would rather just say "F it, he sucks, our new guy will definitely make us Stagg bound in a couple of years"

I hear ya, but just because you are a great coordinator, doesn't mean you will be a head coach. 

Maybe the administration didn't support him or wanted him to work with less than the previous coach did.  I have no clue about what is going on up there.

meadowdale

After 1 year of traveling to the New England area from the west coast,(I GET IT NOW!!)
The amount of schools with football lends itself to if you have some talent or a lot of will your playing..
This is how its supposed to be, don't hang up the cleats till you want too.
The people everywhere were awesome, helpful and just the best to this other coaster. (nickname I received)
I look forward to next 3 years and I can't wait to see the excitement that comes from small school football.
It's also hard to find MOXIE out here having withdrawls.

Bartman

Quote from: pumkinattack on December 07, 2017, 12:36:24 PM
Also, I'd take him back and bounce Drach in a heartbeat.  Have no doubt our offense would've performed better the past three years w him calling plays.  Have heard from a certain NFL player that Drachs calls are complex taking the kids half a season to really get comfortable w and the blocks are required to be held way too long at this level.
PA,
    I too would take Kevin back in an instant at Hobart in any role, but I don't think this was a good fit, and I am sure Kevin will have the last laugh as success is certainly in his future.
"I never graduated from Iowa, but I was only there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's."
Alex Karras
"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Max McGee
"I love football. I really love football, As far as I'm concerned, it's the second best thing in the world".
Joe Namath

meadowdale

Does anybody have a feel for UNE team for next fall..

Pat Coleman

Dropping this story into a few spots where perhaps Keystone might eventually find conference affiliation:
http://www.d3football.com/notables/2018/01/keystone-adds-football-brings-total-to-252
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

ITH radio

Quote from: meadowdale on December 17, 2017, 12:52:01 PM
Does anybody have a feel for UNE team for next fall..

Not yet, but they did release their 2018 schedule. Won't be easy with Husson and Hamden Sydney in the OOC games. Could surprise CGA in Wk 1, but guessing 3 wins would be their best case in Year 1.
Follow us on twitter @D3FBHuddle

mr_mom

Never underestimate the stimulation of eccentricity.

Ralph Turner