WBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by wheatonc, March 03, 2005, 06:18:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iwu70

Jester, don't worry.  I've been in negative territory for years.  Some folks just don't appreciate a snide or charming remark . . . LOL.  I'm sure Ypsi can feel your pain as well.

'70

Roundball999

Quote from: iwu70 on January 17, 2020, 12:18:11 AM
Would love to see a DPOY named each year -- men's and women's side.

'70

We have it in the MIAA and I think it's very important.  We all can name those young women who don't score much but totally dominate a game with their disruptive defense.  They sometimes don't make the all league teams but surely deserve some recognition.

RogK

The solution is to award only the 2nd Best Defensive Player of the Year.
That way, any players who might have felt snubbed could assume they were regarded as the best defensive player.
You're welcome!

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Jester1390 on January 17, 2020, 02:07:44 AM
Lol dont know why a post on defense would bring me a negative mark but its ok  i have broad shoulders i can carry burden. Much like Rose get your licks in now as i grow and get wiser  after my freshman year posting i will be a nightmare

Hold on ... on the HCAC boards you thought the negative hit to your smite/applaud was because of you shortening Transylvania and eliminating the 's.' Now you are on these boards thinking that your smite is because you talked about defense?

Seriously ... I hope you read what I wrote about how smiting works in the HCAC boards. You have no idea who or why you were smited. Let it go and move on. If your life on these boards is revolving around smites and applauds ... you aren't going to enjoy your time here. People smite and applaud for all kinds of odd reasons. It has gotten to the point I think many of us long-term posters don't have a clue what our numbers look like and I, for one, could care less.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

RogK

North Central picked a good Saturday to be idle. Thick snow descending here in Chicago and a good chunk of northern Illinois and much of Wisconsin.
I imagine there'll be no problem for the Elmhurst at Wheaton game, but the other 3 CCIW WBB games might be in question, based on the longer bus routes : Decatur IL to Kenosha, Bloomington IL to Waukesha and Rock Island to Chicago.
We'll see if any delays occur.

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: RogK on January 17, 2020, 07:15:12 PM
North Central picked a good Saturday to be idle. Thick snow descending here in Chicago and a good chunk of northern Illinois and much of Wisconsin.
I imagine there'll be no problem for the Elmhurst at Wheaton game, but the other 3 CCIW WBB games might be in question, based on the longer bus routes : Decatur IL to Kenosha, Bloomington IL to Waukesha and Rock Island to Chicago.
We'll see if any delays occur.

Both the Titan men and women are scheduled to play at Carroll tomorrow, so I'm sure they would be reluctant to bail out.  On the other hand, neither school has a problem with playing on Sundays, if the weather looks less threatening then.  I haven't seen anything on the IWU website yet about plans; I'm guessing Q would be more up-to-date than I.

It figures that the worst weather of the season so far would come when the longest trips are scheduled! ::)

Gregory Sager

Those of us who staff NPU basketball games are on text alert this weekend. Thus far, the bus company Augustana uses has told the Augie coaches that it still considers the forecasted conditions tomorrow to be driveable. Should that change sometime tomorrow, the AC @ NPU doubleheader will be moved to 5 pm and 7 pm Sunday. As of now, though, it appears that we're going to have basketball in the crackerbox tomorrow.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Mr. Ypsi

The game is underway in Waukesha, so they made it!  And great news: Sydney Shanks is back and has already scored!  IWU is dominating early on - up 16-8 about 7 minutes in.

Mr. Ypsi

Not looking good for the home team in Waukesha - IWU up 50-32 at the half.  Kendall Sosa may be looking at her third POW (and second consecutive) - she has TWENTY points at the half!  The returns of Sam Munroe (2nd game back?) and Sydney Shanks (debut) have been excellent - Sam has 13, Sydney has 6.

Mr. Ypsi

As usual, Coach Smith did NOT rub an opponent's nose in it.  Final score, IWU 83, Carroll 69 (it could have been MUCH worse).

The only one who could stop Kendall Sosa today was Coach Smith - she finished with 31 points (could have been more).  Is she now the MOP favorite?

Gregory Sager

North Park 78
Augustana 70

Jayla Johnson: 26 pts, 8 rebs, 5 stls
Emily Czuhajewski: 17 pts (5-7 trey)
Sinead Molloy: 12 pts, 6 rebs, 8:1 a:to, 3 stls
Zakiya Newsome: 11 pts

Mia Lambert: 15 pts (5-6 trey)
Gabriela Loiz: 15 pts
Lauren Hall: 11 pts, 6 rebs
Jeni Crain: 10 pts
Alexis Jones, 14 rebs, 6:3 a:to

Terrific come-from-behind win today by NPU,as the Vikings came back from multiple 11-point deficits in the first half and managed to hang tough against an Augie team that attempted to run them off the floor. It was nip-and-tuck most of the way through the second half, but NPU used treys by Emily Czuhajewski and Zakiya Newsome in the last two minutes to extend what had been a one-point lead out to a comfortable cushion. Even though the Vikings gave up 70 in this one, they played great defense and really bulldogged an Augie team that looked more and more frustrated as the evening went on. Sinead Molloy, who played a tremendous all-around game tonight for NPU, was particularly sharp on defense, holding Alexis Jones to half of her scoring average on the season on 2-10 shooting from the field. And what more needs to be said about Jayla Johnson? Not only did she score points by the fistful despite being double- and triple-teamed in the post all night, she also came up with five steals at the other end of the floor.

Jones couldn't score tonight, but she was an unstoppable force on the boards. She was instrumental in a huge 38-27 rebounding disparity in favor of Augie, but that was largely canceled out by AC's 28 turnovers (15 of them via NPU steals).

Solid win tonight over a good Augie squad in front of a good, vociferous NPU student section.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

iwu70

Good road win for IWU -- 83-69 over Carroll.

For IWU:

Sosa 31
Munroe 16
Lansford 10
Brovelli 8 and 12
Lowis 9 rebounds

Shanks back, playing 20 minutes, 7
Bowen back from the flu, 7

Titans making 12 treys.

CC:
Cruz 13
Evans 11
Grubor 10

Titans now 12-4, 6-1.  The big game at home vs. WC up next.   

Keep it rolling TITANS.  Nice win in the cold bleak tundra of Wisconsin.  Now back to the friendly confines of The Shirk, vs. WC.

Glad to see Shanks and Bowen back . . . step by step.

'70

GoPerry

Wheaton 71. Elmhurst 48

We won't get too excited over a home victory over 6-9, 1-5 Elmhurst squad.  But more so after the Wed loss to a 1-5, 5-9 squad.

Kent Madsen made a good move to shuffle the starting lineup with Jacqui San Jule and Hannah Swider replacing Jordan Myroth and Kristi Demske.  If it was sending a message or desperation it worked with the Thunder coming out with decidedly more energy.  They went out to an early double digit lead and didn't let the Bluejays hang around.

Hannah Williams led the way with 14 pts.  Hannah Frazier added 12 pts, 9 rebs.  Jill Berg with 8 and 8.

The Lady Jay's were led by Kelly Weyrich 12 pts.  Courtney O Donnell and Kween Jean both had 9 and 6.

Whatever they had tonight they'll need it and more at the Shirk on Wed.

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Gregory Sager on January 15, 2020, 11:51:09 PM
Quote from: iwu70 on January 15, 2020, 08:47:54 PM
IWU over EC at the half 27-23.  No Shanks.

Mono is a tricky illness, and it's difficult to put a timetable on recovering from it.

Just three days later, Shanks played 20 minutes at Carroll.  OTOH, she only had 7 points, so she may not be FULLY recovered.

iwu70

Ypsi, Shanks likely being re-introduced slowly -- only 20 minutes.  The TITANS are in pretty good shape with bench play these days, with Eck, Lowis, Bowen and Heller playing some quality minutes.  Same with Munroe's return and Bowen back from a flu bug.  I'm sure Coach Smith is doing some serious juggling with the minutes. 

Sosa on fire with six treys, Brovelli and Lowis anchoring the paint, Lansford her steady and reliable self.  Titans have a good combination, a good run going.  Big game now at home vs. WC and then NPU.  If the Titans can win these next two, they will be in the driver's seat for the conference crown. 

Good to get out of Wisconsin with the two Ws, -- men's and women's. 

'70