FB: Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:19:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat Coleman

Damn. Took my line. I was really late to take the bait on that one. :)
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

emma17

I'll give you both a thumbs up on that.
Needless to say I was pleasantly surprised to see proof that slant routes weren't outlawed on the UWW campus.

emma17

Pat and/or anybody in the know,
I'm interested to know the total number of teams that had to schedule/fill non-conference games in 2018 compared to previous years, as well as the total number of games these teams had to fill. I.e. 150 teams had to fill 180 open dates in 2018 compared to 160 teams had to fill 240 open dates in 2014.
Any idea where I can find this sort of information?
Thank you.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: emma17 on January 17, 2018, 06:48:41 PM
Pat and/or anybody in the know,
I'm interested to know the total number of teams that had to schedule/fill non-conference games in 2018 compared to previous years, as well as the total number of games these teams had to fill. I.e. 150 teams had to fill 180 open dates in 2018 compared to 160 teams had to fill 240 open dates in 2014.
Any idea where I can find this sort of information?
Thank you.

That's probably hard to just find, per se -- but it's something that could be calculated.

It keeps getting tougher. The CCIW adds a 10th team this year, so IWU and other conference schools only need to fill one non-conference game. Surely why IWU-UWW was a one-year deal.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

WW

Quote from: emma17 on January 13, 2018, 04:14:43 PM
Quote from: bleedpurple on January 13, 2018, 03:42:24 PM
Quote from: emma17 on January 12, 2018, 02:27:55 PM
I'm more worried about the changing of the WIAC guard when it comes to trend setting. Used to be UWO was a UWW wannabe, following the Warhawk lead. Is UWW now following the Titan way, including scheduling?

Dang Titans got us comin and goin.

Do you charge UW-0 rent or do you let them live in your head for free? Hope for your sake it's a short-term lease.

I'm fixin to make some room for UWL now too. Gettin crowded up here.

Make some room for Benedictine too. In fact, if I'm a UWW guy, the BU threat is greater than any threat from a WIAC team even if they aren't on the schedule. Next season is expected to be BU's last as D3 before switching to D2. I've long held that the success of WIAC, and UWW in particular, was due to the fact that there was no viable D2 competition anywhere nearby, so a lot of D2-quality kids stayed home. Now skolly money will be coming from just over an hour to the south, and the D2-quality kids whose options were a couple thousand bucks to go to Duluth where nobody will ever see me play, or pay full fare at Whitewater and compete for national titles, well, now there's some D2 money AND it's close to home.

Game-changer, IMO. They'll recruit Wisconsin hard.

02 Warhawk

Quote from: WW on January 18, 2018, 10:04:05 AM
I'm more worried about the changing of the WIAC guard when it comes to trend setting. Used to be UWO was a UWW wannabe, following the Warhawk lead. Is UWW now following the Titan way, including scheduling?

Do you charge UW-0 rent or do you let them live in your head for free? Hope for your sake it's a short-term lease.

Make some room for Benedictine too. In fact, if I'm a UWW guy, the BU threat is greater than any threat from a WIAC team even if they aren't on the schedule. Next season is expected to be BU's last as D3 before switching to D2. I've long held that the success of WIAC, and UWW in particular, was due to the fact that there was no viable D2 competition anywhere nearby, so a lot of D2-quality kids stayed home. Now skolly money will be coming from just over an hour to the south, and the D2-quality kids whose options were a couple thousand bucks to go to Duluth where nobody will ever see me play, or pay full fare at Whitewater and compete for national titles, well, now there's some D2 money AND it's close to home.

Not sure I totally agree. Minnesota already has 9 D2 football programs, and Michigan has 7. Not to mention all the NAIA programs in region that also offers up (partial) scholarships. I know MN D2 schools already recruit pretty hard in WI. Adding one more D2 program in the Midwest shouldn't make that much of an impact on the WIAC's recruiting. However, if a D2 school would pop up in Wisconsin, then yes...that would make for a bigger impact.

Even with BU possibly on the verge of offering scholarships, I think the WIAC would still be the biggest challenge for UWW recruiting. Also if BU goes to D2, I would think they would hunt for D2 caliber athletes if they want to compete...this could possibly be more of a threat for the 16 D2 schools in MN and MI, than the D3 programs in WI.

badgerwarhawk

Quote from: WW on January 18, 2018, 10:04:05 AM
I’m more worried about the changing of the WIAC guard when it comes to trend setting. Used to be UWO was a UWW wannabe, following the Warhawk lead. Is UWW now following the Titan way, including scheduling?

I don't know that it's necessarily a game changer because the Minnesota/Michigan D2's have been hitting Wisconsin hard for some time now.  Just look at their rosters.  It won't help to have another one join in the raiding for sure.  But you might be surprised how many Wisconsin D2 kids end up in the WIAC when it's all said and done.   
"Just think twice is my only advice."

WW

Agree, a lot of those Wisco-born Minnesota D2s end up back on a WIAC roster. But the geography is the differentiating factor here. This is UWW's backyard. Heck, 40 of the kids on their current roster list Illinois hometowns. I just don't think the Minnesota and Michigan D2s steal a lot of Chicago/SE Wis kids. Some, sure. But mamas like to see their babies play. I know a SE Wis guy getting recruited hard by one of the eastern Minnesota D2s -- his dad isn't down, esp with the 5-hour trip --  "those home games are the CLOSEST games they'll play all year!" Might end up there yet, but we'll see. That's a strike against the Minnesota D2s that Benedictine won't have.

JMHO, but this shifts the recruiting landscape significantly, and impacts UWW most directly.

02 Warhawk

Quote from: WW on January 18, 2018, 12:17:33 PM
Agree, a lot of those Wisco-born Minnesota D2s end up back on a WIAC roster. But the geography is the differentiating factor here. This is UWW's backyard. Heck, 40 of the kids on their current roster list Illinois hometowns. I just don't think the Minnesota and Michigan D2s steal a lot of Chicago/SE Wis kids. Some, sure. But mamas like to see their babies play. I know a SE Wis guy getting recruited hard by one of the eastern Minnesota D2s -- his dad isn't down, esp with the 5-hour trip --  "those home games are the CLOSEST games they'll play all year!" Might end up there yet, but we'll see. That's a strike against the Minnesota D2s that Benedictine won't have.

JMHO, but this shifts the recruiting landscape significantly, and impacts UWW most directly.

Based on your theory, I would think it'll affect the CCIW the most...more so than UWW and the WIAC. There might be some overlap between BU and UWW's recruiting grounds. But I believe programs like NCC, Wheaton and Elmhurst will be impacted more so.

I think UWW will still pull players from IL, no matter what direction BU goes.

wally_wabash

Serious question though - are UW-Whitewater and Benedictine even targeting the same kids?  Scholarships or not, I don't know if there's more than a teeny sliver of overlap in the Venn diagram of prospective students for these two schools.  I wouldn't expect a ton of impact on whatever the Warhawks are doing with their recruiting if/when Benedictine leaves Division III. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

02 Warhawk

Quote from: wally_wabash on January 18, 2018, 02:20:26 PM
Serious question though - are UW-Whitewater and Benedictine even targeting the same kids?  Scholarships or not, I don't know if there's more than a teeny sliver of overlap in the Venn diagram of prospective students for these two schools.  I wouldn't expect a ton of impact on whatever the Warhawks are doing with their recruiting if/when Benedictine leaves Division III.

Neither do we

WW

Quote from: wally_wabash on January 18, 2018, 02:20:26 PM
Serious question though - are UW-Whitewater and Benedictine even targeting the same kids?   

Now? No. But Whitewater has succeeded with, in my opinion, a number of D2-level players who had no interest in playing/living 6 or 8 hours from home despite the discount offered by a D2 athletic equivalence skolly. Those players will soon have a viable D2 option where their parents/girlfriends can come see their home games, they can zip home on a Saturday night after the game, etc.

It may only affect the recruiting of a couple kids a year. Whitewater will have no problem with numbers. But the kids they lose due to the presence of a local D2 will be top notch.

badgerwarhawk

I just don't see it as that big of a deal myself.  But I guess time will tell.

Next time I see Coach Bullis I'll ask him what he thinks about it. 
"Just think twice is my only advice."

emma17

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Will a small (in comparison to UWW) Catholic school of 3,000 students with no real history of football success and a $40,000 annual cost take many good athletes from UWW? Even with some scholarship money, we're not talking full-ride, so it's a discount off the MSRP of $40k.

I'm old, biased and confused, but if I had the skill set to play D2/Championship level D3, I think I'd pick UWW with student aide over Benedictine with partial scholarship. Unless the Catholic education was an important factor.   

bleedpurple

Quote from: emma17 on January 18, 2018, 06:04:24 PM
It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Will a small (in comparison to UWW) Catholic school of 3,000 students with no real history of football success and a $40,000 annual cost take many good athletes from UWW? Even with some scholarship money, we're not talking full-ride, so it's a discount off the MSRP of $40k.

I'm old, biased and confused, but if I had the skill set to play D2/Championship level D3, I think I'd pick UWW with student aide over Benedictine with partial scholarship. Unless the Catholic education was an important factor.
y

With Emma on this one. Why is Benedictine even doing this? Does anyone know the extra expenses typically involved moving from D3 to D2? Their D3 success looks moderate and their facilities look moderate. If they wanted to pour more money into football, maybe they should have poured it into staff and facilities and just tried to be really good in D3. They are really on a D-2 Island. I also disagree that mama and papa will be happy. They may be able to watch their kids' home games (in basically a high school type stadium), but the away games will be a beast to get to compared to most of UW-W's road games.