Shenandoah, TX 2018-19 NCAA d3fb championships

Started by Ron Boerger, October 13, 2017, 09:46:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

merlecanlas

Quote from: wally_wabash on January 18, 2018, 02:02:04 PM
Whatever point you're trying to make gets lost as soon as you start making fun of somebody's accent.  Not that this is inconsistent with your style, but dude seriously, really poor taste. 

Camera or no camera, audio stream or no, I don't think it matters what she said in that meeting.  Your mind has already been made up about Shenandoah Stagg Bowls.

lighten up Francis. 

we all have accents. just relax.  give me a deep breath in for eight and hold, and then out with eight.  Feel better?

I believe Texas Stagg Bowls will be a disappointment, but that's my opinion. I have made my reasons very clear, why do you think it will be so successful?

wally_wabash

Quote from: merlecanlas on January 18, 2018, 02:22:34 PM
Whatever point you're trying to make gets lost as soon as you start making fun of somebody's accent.  Not that this is inconsistent with your style, but dude seriously, really poor taste. 

Camera or no camera, audio stream or no, I don't think it matters what she said in that meeting.  Your mind has already been made up about Shenandoah Stagg Bowls.

lighten up Francis. 

we all have accents. just relax.  give me a deep breath in for eight and hold, and then out with eight.  Feel better?

I believe Texas Stagg Bowls will be a disappointment, but that's my opinion. I have made my reasons very clear, why do you think it will be so successful?

I'm fairly certain that this has never been my position.  I don't really know what to expect, but I'm willing to keep an open mind about it at least.  And show a modicum of respect to the event organizers. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

merlecanlas

Quote from: wally_wabash on January 18, 2018, 02:34:49 PM
Quote from: merlecanlas on January 18, 2018, 02:22:34 PM

lighten up Francis. 

I'm fairly certain that this has never been my position.  I don't really know what to expect, but I'm willing to keep an open mind about it at least.  And show a modicum of respect to the event organizers.

I think I gave the same amount of (if not more) respect towards the delightful, wonderful, and amazing TX lady than she gave towards the 25 year home of D3's biggest game

crufootball

Quote from: merlecanlas on January 18, 2018, 01:29:46 PM
Quote from: crufootball on January 18, 2018, 01:09:53 PM
Quote from: merlecanlas on January 18, 2018, 12:30:48 PM
Quote from: Ralph Turner on January 17, 2018, 09:05:26 PM
Quote from: merlecanlas on January 17, 2018, 05:21:15 PM
not a lot of good things said about Salem from the Shenandoah rep, but it was cawld

https://youtu.be/s3uUv5Lfn0I?t=8m20s

8:20 to 16:50
I thought that the woman who made the presentation was respectful of Salem, their accommodations and amenities provided. She mentioned that one hotel was a standard Sheraton property and the other was a classic local Salem hotel, beautifully decorated for Christmas. She acknowledged Salem's love of the Stagg and how they will miss it.

Yes she did mention that the weather was "cawld". (Of course this week, all of east Texas has been shut down by the Ice Storm and sub-freezing high temperatures during the last 2 days.)

I got the impression that she believes that Shenandoah, TX can put on a memorable Stagg Bowl.

I guess I took the following as backhanded at best: "here's Salem at night...the best time to see Salem", "here's their 50 year old stadium and...it's quite different from the one here", "the bottom picture on the right is the locker rooms..(gasp)...yes....", "this is a picture of their press box, and it was a cawld press box", "this is their 50 year old civic center and you can tell by the decorations", " the banquet was decorated with...uhm..christmas tinsel, tablecloths and nothing else"

"the UMHB stands were totally filled, they brought eight or 10 buses and 2 or 3 private planes"  .... ummmm
"we told UMHB that we expect them to be there.. next year, b/c that will bring a lot of people here"

Maybe I'm far too biased, but all of the UMHB references and calling Mount Union (21(?) time Stagg participant) the "other university" is a little odd when referencing the upcoming Stagg Bowls in 18 & 19.   It's probably a factor of one university "hosting" the game and not a conference, but strange non-the-less.

I won't defend the statements she made, no it wasn't a glowing review but she mixed in both subtle good and bad comments about Salem. But her job wasn't to give props to Salem, I assume it was to provide a review of what was the current expectations of the Stagg Bowl. I would have hoped that people would be a little happy that Shenandoah feels like they can at least match the quality of experience that Salem produced.

And yes she was inaccurate in her assessment of the the amount of fans UMHB brought but that won't really matter next year even if UMHB is in the Stagg Bowl.

And when it comes to her repeated UMHB references...UMHB is co-hosting the event for the next 2 years and she came essentially as a guest to every team event so of course she is going to mention that.There is also no need to mention Mount Union by name because it doesn't matter in that conversation, the game could have featured any 2 teams and she and a number of UMHB individuals would have been in Salem making the same notes either way.

I get it.  I think its odd that UMHB is hosting and not the ASC, but that is what it is.  But if I was in her shoes, I would have picked the brain of "the other university" that has been in the game almost yearly.

I just thought that her presentation lacked couth, maybe she didn't know there was a camera in the back of the room.

Why would you need to pick the brain of a group that has not and will not be hosting the event and might not even be at the event. From her speech it sounds like Salem, while sad to lose the event, was very gracious to her and provided some insight into host duties, something Mount Union, a frequent guest, has no knowledge of.

We all get it that you think this is going to be a failure, but even if we think you are right that she belittled the event, she would only do that if she thought that they could do BETTER.

merlecanlas

Quote from: crufootball on January 18, 2018, 03:30:21 PM
Quote from: merlecanlas on January 18, 2018, 01:29:46 PM
Quote from: crufootball on January 18, 2018, 01:09:53 PM
Quote from: merlecanlas on January 18, 2018, 12:30:48 PM
Quote from: Ralph Turner on January 17, 2018, 09:05:26 PM
Quote from: merlecanlas on January 17, 2018, 05:21:15 PM
not a lot of good things said about Salem from the Shenandoah rep, but it was cawld

https://youtu.be/s3uUv5Lfn0I?t=8m20s

8:20 to 16:50
I thought that the woman who made the presentation was respectful of Salem, their accommodations and amenities provided. She mentioned that one hotel was a standard Sheraton property and the other was a classic local Salem hotel, beautifully decorated for Christmas. She acknowledged Salem's love of the Stagg and how they will miss it.

Yes she did mention that the weather was "cawld". (Of course this week, all of east Texas has been shut down by the Ice Storm and sub-freezing high temperatures during the last 2 days.)

I got the impression that she believes that Shenandoah, TX can put on a memorable Stagg Bowl.

I guess I took the following as backhanded at best: "here's Salem at night...the best time to see Salem", "here's their 50 year old stadium and...it's quite different from the one here", "the bottom picture on the right is the locker rooms..(gasp)...yes....", "this is a picture of their press box, and it was a cawld press box", "this is their 50 year old civic center and you can tell by the decorations", " the banquet was decorated with...uhm..christmas tinsel, tablecloths and nothing else"

"the UMHB stands were totally filled, they brought eight or 10 buses and 2 or 3 private planes"  .... ummmm
"we told UMHB that we expect them to be there.. next year, b/c that will bring a lot of people here"

Maybe I'm far too biased, but all of the UMHB references and calling Mount Union (21(?) time Stagg participant) the "other university" is a little odd when referencing the upcoming Stagg Bowls in 18 & 19.   It's probably a factor of one university "hosting" the game and not a conference, but strange non-the-less.

I won't defend the statements she made, no it wasn't a glowing review but she mixed in both subtle good and bad comments about Salem. But her job wasn't to give props to Salem, I assume it was to provide a review of what was the current expectations of the Stagg Bowl. I would have hoped that people would be a little happy that Shenandoah feels like they can at least match the quality of experience that Salem produced.

And yes she was inaccurate in her assessment of the the amount of fans UMHB brought but that won't really matter next year even if UMHB is in the Stagg Bowl.

And when it comes to her repeated UMHB references...UMHB is co-hosting the event for the next 2 years and she came essentially as a guest to every team event so of course she is going to mention that.There is also no need to mention Mount Union by name because it doesn't matter in that conversation, the game could have featured any 2 teams and she and a number of UMHB individuals would have been in Salem making the same notes either way.

I get it.  I think its odd that UMHB is hosting and not the ASC, but that is what it is.  But if I was in her shoes, I would have picked the brain of "the other university" that has been in the game almost yearly.

I just thought that her presentation lacked couth, maybe she didn't know there was a camera in the back of the room.

Why would you need to pick the brain of a group that has not and will not be hosting the event and might not even be at the event. From her speech it sounds like Salem, while sad to lose the event, was very gracious to her and provided some insight into host duties, something Mount Union, a frequent guest, has no knowledge of.

We all get it that you think this is going to be a failure, but even if we think you are right that she belittled the event, she would only do that if she thought that they could do BETTER.

because you're there for a week?  Why not talk to the admin from the school that is statistically likely going to be in your two Stagg Bowls?  See what they like, dont like, what went well and what could be better?  I hope that Shenandoah does better than Salem , I really do.  I don't want D3 to look like bad HS football on national TV with nobody in the stands.  It's bad for the brand. 

wally_wabash

Quote from: merlecanlas on January 18, 2018, 03:48:36 PMI hope that Shenandoah does better than Salem , I really do.  I don't want D3 to look like bad HS football on national TV with nobody in the stands. It's bad for the brand.

Then shut up, buy a ticket, and support the event. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

crufootball

It's not about what Mount Union wants/likes/dislikes, they talked to the people that hosted the event for 25 years and apparently are going to continue those discussions.

And since you mention empty stands, how do you think that is going to play in Canton with a capacity of 23,000? That means there would have been 15,000 empty seats at the highest attended Stagg Bowl at Salem.

merlecanlas

Quote from: wally_wabash on January 18, 2018, 04:00:04 PM
Quote from: merlecanlas on January 18, 2018, 03:48:36 PMI hope that Shenandoah does better than Salem , I really do.  I don't want D3 to look like bad HS football on national TV with nobody in the stands. It's bad for the brand.

Then shut up, buy a ticket, and support the event.

ummm, I have been to nearly every Stagg Bowl since 2003.  Can you say the same?

merlecanlas

Quote from: crufootball on January 18, 2018, 04:13:31 PM
It's not about what Mount Union wants/likes/dislikes, they talked to the people that hosted the event for 25 years and apparently are going to continue those discussions.

And since you mention empty stands, how do you think that is going to play in Canton with a capacity of 23,000? That means there would have been 15,000 empty seats at the highest attended Stagg Bowl at Salem.

Obviously, Canton, OH is much more of a central location of D3FB than Salem or the island of TX.  There are maps that have been created saying Columbus, OH is the midpoint.  Columbus is less than 150 miles or  hours from Canton.  That alone should increase attendance. 

UWW vs StT or Brockport vs Wheaton in the Stagg Bowl in Canton would outdraw the same matchup in VA or TX, at least that would make sense.

Tom Benson is a big stadium, and I agree.  But driving past it daily, they have tarped off sections of the upper deck.  I'm sure the NCAA will love the ability to have massive tarps with sponsor's logos.  It will not be a 23,000 seat stadium for the Stagg Bowl, or almost any other event there.

I'd love a MUC-UMHB in 2018 and 2020 and compare the attendance.   

crufootball

Quote from: merlecanlas on January 18, 2018, 04:46:02 PM
Quote from: crufootball on January 18, 2018, 04:13:31 PM

Obviously, Canton, OH is much more of a central location of D3FB than Salem or the island of TX.  There are maps that have been created saying Columbus, OH is the midpoint.  Columbus is less than 150 miles or  hours from Canton.  That alone should increase attendance. 

UWW vs StT or Brockport vs Wheaton in the Stagg Bowl in Canton would outdraw the same matchup in VA or TX, at least that would make sense.

Tom Benson is a big stadium, and I agree.  But driving past it daily, they have tarped off sections of the upper deck.  I'm sure the NCAA will love the ability to have massive tarps with sponsor's logos.  It will not be a 23,000 seat stadium for the Stagg Bowl, or almost any other event there.

I'd love a MUC-UMHB in 2018 and 2020 and compare the attendance.

I have no doubt that Canton will out draw Texas but Shenandoah has a capacity of 9,600 so even if it only draws few thousand it will look more full than a huge D3 crowd would look in Canton.

smedindy

There are D-1 schools that have embarrassing empty seats:

MiacMan

From a totally personal and selfish standpoint, I welcome the Stagg Bowl to Texas for none other than the warm weather. The two Salem Staggs that I have attended may have been the coldest I have ever been in my entire life and I am a 50+ year old Minnesota deer hunter. I hope my team makes it to one of the Texas Staggs. I will probably make it a week long vacation. However, I would also like to go to Canton because I have never seen the Pro Football HOF or the Rock-n-Roll HOF. Anyway, IMO, two great choices for Stagg for totally different reasons. I will not underestimate the weather in Canton as I did in Salem, if I am lucky enough to make the trip.  :D

Ralph Turner

Quote from: MiacMan on January 19, 2018, 11:01:55 AM
From a totally personal and selfish standpoint, I welcome the Stagg Bowl to Texas for none other than the warm weather. The two Salem Staggs that I have attended may have been the coldest I have ever been in my entire life and I am a 50+ year old Minnesota deer hunter. I hope my team makes it to one of the Texas Staggs. I will probably make it a week long vacation. However, I would also like to go to Canton because I have never seen the Pro Football HOF or the Rock-n-Roll HOF. Anyway, IMO, two great choices for Stagg for totally different reasons. I will not underestimate the weather in Canton as I did in Salem, if I am lucky enough to make the trip.  :D
Bring your golf clubs.

merlecanlas

Quote from: smedindy on January 18, 2018, 07:58:51 PM
There are D-1 schools that have embarrassing empty seats:

D-1 also has more than one game a year on "national television".  Nobody give a rip about Kent St vs Buffalo, or the Locite SuperGlue Bowl in mid-week early December.  This is D3's chance to shine and not be "glorified high school football".  I want two top notch teams, a bunch of fans and an atmosphere that is befitting of a National Championship.  But if it looks like garbage on TV and there are no fans, maybe instead of MACtion on Tuesday or Wednesdays, we can have D3dication or D3termination for a Tuesday night Stagg Bowl.  But at least it should be warmer

There are all kinds of embarrassing things in D1 that I hope never make it to D3.  I wonder if some of the lesser FBS bowl games have city councils that complain over having to pay to bus the teams around...

ADL70

As you referenced with "Loctite" those minor bowls have corporate $
SPARTANS...PREPARE FOR GLORY
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO
Think beyond the possible.
Compete, Win, Respect, Unite