FB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:04:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat Coleman

Quote from: kiko on December 05, 2018, 12:18:20 AM
Quote from: CardinalAlum on December 04, 2018, 09:36:36 AM
LB   DJ Warkenthien   North Central (Ill.)   Sr.   Naperville, Ohio

Heads up for the landlord that this should prob be Illinois. :)

Wow! How did that get all the way to midnight before being caught? Thanks. :)
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Pat Coleman on December 05, 2018, 01:25:33 AM
Quote from: kiko on December 05, 2018, 12:18:20 AM
Quote from: CardinalAlum on December 04, 2018, 09:36:36 AM
LB   DJ Warkenthien   North Central (Ill.)   Sr.   Naperville, Ohio

Heads up for the landlord that this should prob be Illinois. :)

Wow! How did that get all the way to midnight before being caught? Thanks. :)
Gee Pat, you are paying way too much attention to your day-job!   :)

Gregory Sager

"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

formerd3db

Quote from: Gregory Sager on December 08, 2018, 02:56:37 PM
Mike Conway is out as NPU head football coach.

I am saddened by this news. I hate to see Mike go.
Gregory:
Sorry to hear that. I realize your were a great supporter of Conway. He seemed like a top notch coach and person from all touch have shared with us during his tenure.

Was this decision has it was it the administration's decision? I wonder if he will return to his PA roots.
"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

izzy stradlin

JJ Clark quits as Wheaton's defensive coordinator to become defensive coordinator at Indiana Wesleyan.

Dr. Acula

Quote from: izzy stradlin on December 09, 2018, 04:50:35 PM
JJ Clark quits as Wheaton's defensive coordinator to become defensive coordinator at Indiana Wesleyan.

Leave Wheaton to be an assistant at Indiana?  I get it.  Leave to be an assistant at Indiana Wesleyan?!  You lost me.  That seems like, at best, a lateral move?

izzy stradlin

Quote from: Dr. Acula on December 09, 2018, 05:53:35 PM

Leave Wheaton to be an assistant at Indiana?  I get it.  Leave to be an assistant at Indiana Wesleyan?!  You lost me.  That seems like, at best, a lateral move?

I'm with you.  Clark would've been in line to to be a head coach soon given how well he was doing in his 2 years at Wheaton (Rod Sandberg, Josiah Sears, Jordan Langs have all gone for Wheaton coordinators to HC in the last 7 years!).  Indiana Wesleyan has played college football games for one year.  There must be something we are missing.  USee?

USee

Quote from: Dr. Acula on December 09, 2018, 05:53:35 PM

Former Wheaton Def Coordinator Jordan Lang's is the HC at IWU and those two are buddies. It's An NAIA program with what appears to be a lot of money. Just played their first year of football and went 7-3

GoIrish7

Very suprised to see Conway go..... Especially for the job he took to leave - Step down from your head coaching post in Chicago to become the defensive coordinator for an 0-11 team in Belleville? I am sure North Park will draw some attention, Rick Ponx or Eric Studemann should be names to consider. Both have CCIW ties and looking for a job after being dismissed for a bigger brighter name at Aurora. I thought they as a staff did a good job of getting Aurora to be atleast a respectable name.

JJ Clark I assume is $$ related. From my understanding Wheaton does not pay their younger assistants well, which is why many leave after having success. As mentioned above, gets to get back with all of his buddies (Langs, Terrazes, etc - more money - makes sense.

Mugsy

Quote from: GoIrish7 on December 10, 2018, 05:26:56 PM
JJ Clark I assume is $$ related. From my understanding Wheaton does not pay their younger assistants well, which is why many leave after having success. As mentioned above, gets to get back with all of his buddies (Langs, Terrazes, etc - more money - makes sense.

So failing to pay younger assistants is a common characteristic to Wheaton and not an overwhelming majority of D3 football?  From experience I don't deny assistant coaches are not paid well, but I'd disagree with your assessment that it is a common reason why Wheaton assistants have been leaving.

As Izzy points out most OC's and DC's that have left Wheaton recently is due to the fact they've grown in the experience and knowledge under Swider and are ready to take the next step in their professional career - head coaching.

Update on post from Thunderdog 3 weeks ago:
Quick shout out to the following Wheaton Football alums for their coaching accomplishments this past week:

Pedro Arruza (class of 1996) - Head Coach @ Randolph Macon College. RMC posted it's first ever playoff win over OAC opponent, John Carroll, winning 23-20.  RMC also had a 44-16 advantage in time of possession  :o  RMC travels to Muhlenberg next...

Rod Sandberg (class of 1991) - Head Coach @ Whitworth University. Whitworth posted it's first playoff victory in 12 years, defeating Claremont-Mudd-Scripps by a score of 48-6. Whitworth travels to St. John's next...

Steve Ryan (class of 1989) - Head Coach @ Morningside. Morningside defeated Rocky Mountain College 49-20 in the first round of the NAIA playoffs. Morningside is 12-0 and is the #1 seed in that tournament (I believe).

While RMC and Whitworth have bowed out of the D3 playoffs after solid performances, Steve Ryan and Morningside are ranked #1 in the NAIA and playing in the National Championship game this weekend in Daytona, FL (for the 2nd time since 2012).  https://www.msidemustangs.com/
Wheaton Football: CCIW Champs: 1950, 1953-1959, 1995, 2000, 2002-2004, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2019

GoIrish7

Quote from: Mugsy on December 10, 2018, 07:00:11 PM

So failing to pay younger assistants is a common characteristic to Wheaton and not an overwhelming majority of D3 football?  From experience I don't deny assistant coaches are not paid well, but I'd disagree with your assessment that it is a common reason why Wheaton assistants have been leaving.

As Izzy points out most OC's and DC's that have left Wheaton recently is due to the fact they've grown in the experience and knowledge under Swider and are ready to take the next step in their professional career - head coaching.

Quick shout out to the following Wheaton Football alums for their coaching accomplishments this past week:

Pedro Arruza (class of 1996) - Head Coach @ Randolph Macon College. RMC posted it's first ever playoff win over OAC opponent, John Carroll, winning 23-20.  RMC also had a 44-16 advantage in time of possession  :o  RMC travels to Muhlenberg next...

Rod Sandberg (class of 1991) - Head Coach @ Whitworth University. Whitworth posted it's first playoff victory in 12 years, defeating Claremont-Mudd-Scripps by a score of 48-6. Whitworth travels to St. John's next...

Steve Ryan (class of 1989) - Head Coach @ Morningside. Morningside defeated Rocky Mountain College 49-20 in the first round of the NAIA playoffs. Morningside is 12-0 and is the #1 seed in that tournament (I believe).

While RMC and Whitworth have bowed out of the D3 playoffs after solid performances, Steve Ryan and Morningside are ranked #1 in the NAIA and playing in the National Championship game this weekend in Daytona, FL (for the 2nd time since 2012).  https://www.msidemustangs.com/

Obviously everyone's goal is to be a Head Coach. The men you listed had great oppourtunites to take their careers to new heights. I was more speaking for someone like JJ, Eric, etc who are making lateral moves, those lateral moves are being made for the money. Wheaton is a tough spot to find affordable housing when making what the underpaid d3 position coach is making, especially when trying to start a family.

kiko

With Mary Hardin-Baylor winning the big doorstop yesterday, the d3football.com All-American selections are out:

https://www.d3football.com/awards/all-americans/2018

CCIW players recognized:

First Team
LB   Eric Stevenson   Wheaton (Ill.)      Sr.   Lewisville, Texas
K   Derik Judka   North Central (Ill.)   Fr.   Burbank, Ill.   

Second Team
S   Trevor Staley   Illinois Wesleyan   Sr.   Lake Zurich, Ill.

Third Team
QB   Broc Rutter   North Central (Ill.)   Jr.   Naperville, Ill.
G   Sharmore Clark   North Central (Ill.)   So.   Oak Park, Ill.

Congrats to all!

markerickson

I hope Conway was not forced to resign.  I am not happy about his departure.  He expanded the recruiting region, which I doubt his successor will equal.  Time for North Park to become an NAIA school with fewer athletic teams, including the elimination of football.  If football remains, I expect Conway's successor to have absolutely miserable records like his predecessors.
Once a metalhead, always a metalhead.  Matthew 5:13.

CardinalAlum

Quote from: Mugsy on December 10, 2018, 07:00:11 PM

Congrats to Steve Ryan and his Morningside team on their NAIA National Championship!  I had the pleasure of coaching with Steve for a couple of years and he has always been such a hard worker and great coach!  We had some great NCC/Wheaton debates for sure!
D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  ** D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **   D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 2022

matblake