D3 Women's Soccer 2017 Season

Started by DivisionIIISoccerSource, August 04, 2017, 02:06:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blooter442

Second half and Wheaton GK performs heroics to somehow keep the ball out after a scrum off a corner. Still 0-0 and shots are relatively even, although MIT bossing SOG 6-0.

blooter442

MIT breaks through with 9:08 remaining. One-timer off a corner.

blooter442

MIT gets a deserved 1-0 win to move to 7-0 in what was probably its toughest game since beating Brandeis on opening day. Engineers will travel to Williams in October (where they lost 4-1 last year) and will play Tufts (3-0-1) on 9/26, but those look like their big tests – based on what I've seen this season, they could run the table in the NEWMAC (although I'm sure 5-0 Springfield will have something to say about that.)

DivisionIIISoccerSource

See Greensboro College schedule and results last two years.

Quote from: Abitofeverything on September 10, 2017, 02:03:16 PM
And this.....

Medgar Evers     0 
Sarah Lawrence 17 
Final

SoccerFan2017

What's the point of how Greensboro College schedules non-conference games? Who are you helping as their coach?

Quote from: DivisionIIISoccerSource on September 16, 2017, 03:03:00 AM
See Greensboro College schedule and results last two years.

Quote from: Abitofeverything on September 10, 2017, 02:03:16 PM
And this.....

Medgar Evers     0 
Sarah Lawrence 17 
Final

CarpIsNotAFish

Sat. top 10 results....
Chicago improves to 6-0 over Milwaukee
Williams to 4-0 over Colby
TCNJ to 5-0 over Paterson
Trinity TX improved to 5-1 over Dallas
Swarthmore to 7-0 over Dickinson

CarpIsNotAFish

Not that early season rankings mean a whole lot, but here's some predicted moves for Tuesdays update on the top 25...

Wash-StL will fall a point or two Despite a win over UW-Whitewater.

Chicago will be the new #1 mowing down every opponent they have faced this year.

TCNJ will move up a point or two with their win over ranked Hopkins in double OT.

General and Christopher N will move into top 10 as Hopkins and Whitewater fall out.

Carnegie, Amherst, & Pomona will fall out. MIT will close in on the T10 and Springfield along with Western CT will get their first T25 rankings of the year.

4samuy

It's pretty clear that Chicago's strategy is shoot whenever the opportunity presents itself, wherever you may be on the pitch,  to the tune of 160-20 shot advantage and 23-2 goals scored advantage thru the first 5 games.  They will, however,  need to improve that conversion pct as they move into the tough UAA, but they are very dangerous in the opponents defensive third.

Abitofeverything

We'll be 1/3 of the way through the season after this weekend (approximately)....staring at Conference play ready to start....any coaches in trouble that only a successful conference run could save their position?

blue_jays

Quote from: 4samuy on September 18, 2017, 01:26:15 PM
It's pretty clear that Chicago's strategy is shoot whenever the opportunity presents itself, wherever you may be on the pitch,  to the tune of 160-20 shot advantage and 23-2 goals scored advantage thru the first 5 games.  They will, however,  need to improve that conversion pct as they move into the tough UAA, but they are very dangerous in the opponents defensive third.
If you watch their run of play, this is not really the case. They don't take bad or wild shots, 54 percent are on goal. They're taking all these shots because: 1) they own the midfield and the other team can't possess at all. 2) they are in full-on attack mode at all times which put teams on their heels. Carthage tried to play a high back line on them this week, forced 9 offsides and STILL conceded 7 goals because UChicago making concerted runs on goal is beyond scary. Anyone on that team can score at any time. The aggression is real.

2xfaux

It has been awhile since a team has put up these kind of numbers. I look forward to catching them on video.  It should be fun.

4samuy

I agree with pretty much all you said Blue Jay.  I've actually seen Chicago play 3 or four times this year and quite frequently over the past few years and the point I was trying to make, and probably didn't make it as well as I wanted , is that yes,  they are creating a ton of opportunities in the run of play, but they have done that over the past few years only to make an extra pass in situations that probably warranted a shot, and therefore have lost scoring opportunities.  IMHO there has been an emphasis on getting balls on or towards net in situations and in parts of the offensive third that they haven't done in the past creating more  shots and scoring opportunities.

blue_jays

Quote from: 4samuy on September 25, 2017, 10:11:04 PM
I agree with pretty much all you said Blue Jay.  I've actually seen Chicago play 3 or four times this year and quite frequently over the past few years and the point I was trying to make, and probably didn't make it as well as I wanted , is that yes,  they are creating a ton of opportunities in the run of play, but they have done that over the past few years only to make an extra pass in situations that probably warranted a shot, and therefore have lost scoring opportunities.  IMHO there has been an emphasis on getting balls on or towards net in situations and in parts of the offensive third that they haven't done in the past creating more  shots and scoring opportunities.
They are definitely taking more shots in an aggressive fashion for sure, less deferment and indecision. The UAA will feature the best teams they will see all year, so we shall see how they impose their will. Only teams that have a chance will be ones that try to match them skill for skill, with aggression in the midfield. If you can't possess on Chicago, you have no chance to beat them.

CarpIsNotAFish

Add to that 18 of the teams 33 goals have come from Freshman/Sophomore classes, and that Chicago is one of those rare D3's with a worldwide academic notoriety which allows them to continue to recruit the best and you might be seeing the beginning of a long stretch of winning for the Maroons. Streaming tonight at 4 CDT.

cciw83

I am still trying to figure out if Chicago is that good or Emory just had a very bad day. I stopped watching early in the second half as Chicago had it under control. Chicago midfield controlled the play and Emory either because of the speed of play or talent looked disorganized and had a number of giveaways without pressure.  It was not a surprise of Chicago winning, but the score and type of contest were.

One of standout newcomers for Emory last season #26, a forward, was substituted early in the first half, wonder if she is nursing an injury or coming back from an injury.