MBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by Board Mod, February 28, 2005, 11:18:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

newCCIWfan

Two Tweets of Interest for the Big Blue...

Matt Nadelhoffer ‏@CoachNgoBIGBLUE
"Millikin Basketball just got a lot better... #newera @32tjc @CoachJonLester"

Then a few hours later

Scott Burgess ‏@scott_chihoops
"McCluer (MO) 2013 PF Shaq Edwards committed to #Millikin tonight. Great pick up for Big Blue."

Looks like Edwards averaged 12.7ppg, 3.2rpg for McCluer HS who also produced current Millikin point guard TJ Griffin.

newCCIWfan

Quote from: AndOne on May 09, 2013, 12:26:09 AM
* David Robinson--6'6" Forward from Lockport Twsp.

Committed to North Central over going to the Naval Academy?

AndOne

Quote from: newCCIWfan on May 09, 2013, 12:41:35 AM

Obviously didn't want to follow in his uncle's footsteps.  ;)

Titan Q

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Curley-Boo-Johnsons-Skills-For-Life-Basketball-Academy-Camp/205971929535145

Per that Facebook post, Fieldcrest's Brady Sanders has decided to attend IWU.  The 6-2 PG averaged 17.8 ppg, 5.1 rpg, 5.1, apg as a senior.  Sanders is a 1st Team all-stater at the small school level and made all of the various all-area teams.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2013-03-11/sports/cs-prep-bkb-ibca-1a2a-state-0311_1_boys-hoops-all-state-team-providence-st

http://www.pantagraph.com/sports/scoreboard/leaders_and_polls/pantagraph---all-area-boys-basketball/article_4f8d680e-9740-11e2-8efd-001a4bcf887a.html

http://www.pjstar.com/archive/x1037527716/2013-Journal-Star-Small-school-Boys-Basketball-All-area-Team

http://newstrib.com/m/Articles.aspx?ArticleID=17989

http://www.cinewsnow.com/sports/high-school/Fieldcrests-latest-star-guard--Brady-Sanders-188085701.html

The PJ Star article says, "NEXT: Plans on playing basketball at Illinois Wesleyan, Elmhurst, North Central College or Eureka College. Wants to major in business." 

I've heard from someone close to his family that Sanders is very aware that his path to playing time at IWU will be a very tough one.  In the end, he felt IWU was the best fit for him academically based on what he wants to do.

robertgoulet

Quote from: AndOne on May 09, 2013, 12:48:05 AM
Quote from: newCCIWfan on May 09, 2013, 12:41:35 AM

Obviously didn't want to follow in his uncle's footsteps.  ;)

Hopefully Robinson's career turns out to be close to what NCC"s current Lockport alum's career has been!
You win! You always do!

AndOne

Another NCC recruit:

Nick Anderson--6'2" guard from Wilmington, IL HS.
Sorry, no stats available

newCCIWfan

Augustana College
- Michael Hoekstra, 6-7, Forward, Bishop McNamara (Kankakee, IL) --- 16.7 PPG, 9.2 RPG
- Jacob Johnston, 6-3, Guard, Erie (IL) --- 24.0 PPG, 8.7 RPG, 4.7 APG
- Quinn Pokora, 6-1, Point Guard, Mundelein High School, (IL) --- 10.0 PPG, 3.4 APG
- Jens Soderholm, 6-5, Wing, La Salle-Peru (IL) --- 21.8 PPG, 11 RPG

Carthage College
- Scott McNellis, 6-5, Forward, Downers Grove South (IL)

Elmhurst College
- None reported yet

North Central College
- Nick Anderson, 6-2, Guard, Wilmington High School (IL).
- Ricky Bullock, 6-2, Guard, Homewood-Flossmoor (IL)
- Blake Cowden, 5-11, Guard, Tri-Valley High School (Downs, IL) --- 17.2 PPG, 4.4 APG, 3.4 RPG
- Alex Gustafson, 6-6, Forward, Pleasant Plaines High School (IL) --- 13.4 PPG, 7.2 RPG
- Ryan Peter, 6-4, Wing, Joliet Catholic (IL) --- 12.4 PPG, 6.8 RPG, 2.0 APG, 42.7% FG%, 38.2% 3FG%.
- David Robinson, 6-6, Forward Lockport Township High School (IL)

North Park University
- Matt McNamara, 6-5, Forward, Willowbrook High School (IL)
- Austin Wood, 6-10, Center, Illinois Lutheran (Crete, IL) --- 15.0 PPG, 11.1 RPG

Millikin University
- Brody Bence, 6-7, Forward, Shelbyville High School (IL) --- 15.2 PPG, 6.5 RPG, 1.3 APG, 2.0 BPG,
- Shaq Edwards, 6-4, Forward, McCluer High School (St. Louis, MO) --- 12.7 PPG, 3.2 RPG
- Jeremy Pezzelle, 5-9, Guard, Lutheran School Association (Decatur, IL) --- 22.6 PPG, 47% 3FG%

Illinois Wesleyan University
- Austin Amann, 6-1, Guard, Elk Grove High School (IL) --- 18.9 PPG, 6.6 RPG,
- Alec Bausch, 6-6, Forward, De Smet Jesuit (St. Louis, MO) --- 12.5 PPG, 6.9 RPG, 2.8 APG
- Brady Sanders, 6-2, Guard, Fieldcrest High School (IL) --- 17.8 PPG, 5.1 RPG, 5.1 APG
- Spencer Seibring, 6-2 Guard, Normal West High School (IL) --- 12.7 PPG, 3.2 RPG, 3.2 APG
- Trevor Seibring, 6-8, Forward, Normal Community High School (IL) --- 13.5 PPG, 7.2 RPG
- Andy Stempel, 6-3, Wing, Stevenson High School (Lincolnshire, IL) -- - 11.0 PPG, 40% 3PFG%
- Jordan Turner, 6-3, Guard, Woodstock High School (IL)  --- 17.9 PPG

Wheaton College
- Ian Asher, 6-0, Guard, Danville High School (IN) --- 17.4 PPG, 3.4 APG
- Danny Park, 5-11, Point Guard, Thomas Jefferson High School (Auburn, WA) --- 9.7 PPG, 5.3 RPG

robertgoulet

With Nick Anderson and David Robinson, the Cards should be very formidable in the upcoming years.
You win! You always do!

AndOne

Quote from: robertgoulet on May 10, 2013, 10:51:01 AM
With Nick Anderson and David Robinson, the Cards should be very formidable in the upcoming years.

And their uncle's checks will go a long way in funding a refurbished, new look Hangar.   :)

Wildcat

Here goes everybody,my first post.Why does it take so long for Elmhurst to get recruiting information out to the fans.I,ve been reading this site for 10 years now.I find it very informative.I,ll try and add something to it from now on.What is the name of the group of guys, that travel to the best basketball games in the CCIW?

newCCIWfan

Quote from: Wildcat on May 10, 2013, 09:28:50 PM
Here goes everybody,my first post.Why does it take so long for Elmhurst to get recruiting information out to the fans.I,ve been reading this site for 10 years now.I find it very informative.I,ll try and add something to it from now on.What is the name of the group of guys, that travel to the best basketball games in the CCIW?

Not sure historically... my hunch is this year it has something to do with the coaching transition.

AndOne

Quote from: Wildcat on May 10, 2013, 09:28:50 PM

Welcome Wildcat,

Are you a fan of any particular team and/or conference or just D3 in general?

To answer your questions:

1. I'm not familiar with Elmhurst's record with regard to the speed or lack thereof with which they post the names of recruits. Keep in mind 2 variables which may effect how quickly an interested party might be able to view this information. First, some schools follow a policy of treating the names of their recruits as state secrets. EC may fall into this category. Secondly, its rare for a school itself to release recruits names as they commit. This is usually done by fans who are privy to insider information, by means of a recruit self reporting his choice through one of the social media outlets, or by a newspaper article someone picks up on. With specific regard to this year's crop of EC recruits, keep in mind that their long time head coach resigned after the recent season. If he knew beforehand that this was going to be his last year, he may not have hit the recruiting trail too strenuously. And, the new head coach has barely had time to get his feet wet, having been appointed to the post only a couple weeks ago.

2. The name of the group to which you refer is the "Big Five." Obviously, the group was originally comprised of 5 gentlemen who could initially be identified by the green blazers they wore to games. Over time, the group has expanded a bit but is still a relatively small organization, probably numbering 10 at most.  One of the newer members is the son of one of the original members. Some of the originals still wear their green blazers to games. The group usually confines itself to games in the Chicago suburbs of Wheaton, Naperville, and Elmhurst. Depending on the competition, I believe they also occasionally attend games at Benedictine and Aurora. These games may or may not involve CCIW teams. Lastly, if I remember correctly, the group "leader" is an attorney who maintains offices in Chicago and who specializes in workers' compensation cases.

AppletonRocks

Are any of the schools in the CCIW viewed as dramatically rigorous from an academic standpoint ?  If so, which ones?   I know it is very difficult for some schools in the Midwest Conference to recruit due to high academic requirements.
Run the floor or Run DMC !!

2016 WIAC Pick 'Em Board Champion

Wildcat

Thanks AndOne,for the knowledge.First and foremost,I,m an Elmhurst fan starting in 2003.Started following them when my nephew was a freshmen player.Extremely happy to see Coach Baines get the job.Second,this is one fantastic conference for basketball.Ihad the pleasure of meeting some of the Big Five when Elmhurst hosted a regional a few years ago.great guys to talk to as well as bob quillman.Hope to meet you too sometime.

newCCIWfan

Quote from: AppletonRocks on May 10, 2013, 11:07:25 PM
Are any of the schools in the CCIW viewed as dramatically rigorous from an academic standpoint ?  If so, which ones?   I know it is very difficult for some schools in the Midwest Conference to recruit due to high academic requirements.

My impression is that the CCIW is a very good academic league with very strong schools who prepare their students very well. However, I would not necessarily characterize it as a "dramatically" rigorous conference. They are good schools but I wouldn't call them elite schools. The CCIW and Midwest Conference are pretty comparable.

In some ways this makes recruiting much easier in the CCIW then say the UAA ...

Here is just a brief search on collegedata.com (abbreviated CD) showed the following.

School ... CD Entrance Difficulty / ACT: Low-High / Avg. ACT Score / % Applicants Admitted

CCIW
Wheaton ... Very Difficult / 26-34 / Avg. 29 / 65%
*Illinois Wesleyan ... Very Difficult / 25-30 / Avg. ??  / 61%
Augustana ... Moderately Difficult / 18-33 / Avg. 26 / 62%
Carthage ... Moderately Difficult / 22-28 / Avg. 25 / 77%
*Millikin ... Moderately Difficult / 20-26 / Avg. 24 / 56%
Elmhurst ... Moderately Difficult / 23-25 / Avg. 24 / 72%
North Central ... Moderately Difficult / 22-27 / Avg. 23 / 60%
North Park ... Moderately Difficult / 18-27 / Avg. 23 / 65% 

Midwest Conference
Knox ... Very Difficult / 28-34 / Avg. 31 / 72%
Lawrence ... Very Difficult / 28-36 / Avg. 31 / 53%
Grinnell ... Very Difficult / 25-35 / Avg. 30 / 51%
Beloit ... Very Difficult / 25-33 / Avg. 30 / 71%
Lake Forrest ... Moderately Difficult / 26-35 / Avg. 30 / 54%
Cornell ... Moderately Difficult / 25-32 / Avg. 28 / 46%
Monmouth ... Moderately Difficult / 24-32 / Avg. 27 / 63%
St. Norbert ... Moderately Difficult / 22-28 / Avg. 25 / 80%
Carroll ... Moderately Difficult / 18-30 / Avg. 25 / 79%
Illinois College ... Moderately Difficult / ?? / Avg. 24 / ??
Ripon ... Moderately Difficult / No Data / No Data / 75%

Compared to ... what I would term elite universities

University of Chicago ... Most Difficult / 18-36 / Avg. 31 / 13%
Washington University (Stl) ... Most Difficult / 22-36 / Avg. 32 / 18%
Williams College ... Most Difficult / 23-35 / Avg. 32 / 17%
Amhurst College ... Most Difficult / 24-36 / Avg. 32 / 13%

* Some data not available ... data found on a competing site