MBB: Northwest Conference

Started by The Show, March 06, 2005, 08:40:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wildcat11

Quote from: A Buc Forever on November 14, 2018, 01:05:04 PM
Linfield won national championships won in 2004. No team has been very close since then.

Linfield was in the National Semifinals in 2009, 2014, and 2015.  I think the last 4 teams in the country is pretty close.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Long road ahead for Thomas More

It's going to be a long road ahead for Thomas More, writes Ryan Scott, while Whitman brought back a ton of talent from last year's team and has to somehow find playing time for even more people! Check it out in this week's Around the Nation.

https://www.d3hoops.com/columns/around-the-nation/index

Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

(509)Rat

Whitworth beat #23 St. Olaf today 75-55

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

(509)Rat

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on November 16, 2018, 11:54:18 PM
Quote from: (509)Rat on November 16, 2018, 09:38:31 PM
Whitworth beat #23 St. Olaf today 75-55

#6 Whitworth ;)

Dave with the assist!

#4 Whitman rolls Sul Ross St 97-61

I watched the Blues game for a little bit. It was a ten minute stretch in the first half where the team from TX managed to score 2 points. Whitman really has an embarrassment of riches. I bet they'll look a lot like recent Gonzaga teams where 6-7 different guys are leading the team in scoring on any given night. Butler and Hewitt are probably gonna out touch the other guys most nights but they have a bunch of guys who are capable of going off on any given night.

BluesBrother

Quote from: (509)Rat on November 17, 2018, 06:45:34 AM
#4 Whitman rolls Sul Ross St 97-61

Whitman seemed  a little out of sync at times, but the depth really is impressive. I think the second five would have a decent shot at beating the starting five in a best of seven.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Whitman's real issue is that they don't often get punished for mistakes, because of depth and speed.  When they hit a team with a really strong starting five (Whitworth, Nebraska Wesleyan, for example) that doesn't panic and is in good shape, those turnovers hurt them.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

blackhawks4

A lot of "embarrassment of riches" talk centered around the Whitman squad.  Its couldn't be more true.  This entire roster assembled by Bridgeland and Airy can flat out play.  Whoever said their second five would beat most, is absolutely correct.

They have all-conference transfers like Vickers and Gutierrez coming off the bench--who haven't played well yet, but will.  Jase Harrison, an All Conference guy from 2016 who missed last year to injury. He's been off to an ice cold start, but will turn it around.  But when you have 10 others that are playing well, it doesn't matter.

Triple Double Watch in Walla Walla.  Austin Butler has 6/5/5 at half time.  Seems like the scorekeeper has been a little stingy on the assists though.

Trevor Osborne, Jack Stewart, Darne Ducket, Robert Colton, Cedric Jacobs Jones, Jaron Kirkley...it goes on and on.

Did I forget to mention preseason All-American Joey Hewitt?

And they are playing as unselfish as I have ever seen.  Constantly making the extra pass.  They might not have a guy average more than 12 ppg. 

I dont know much about Wooster, Alma, and Illionis Welseyan?

There's those three, and Whitworth is always a battle, but I think theres a chance WMN goes undefeated.  This is a serious National Championship contender.

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on November 17, 2018, 02:40:51 PM

Whitman's real issue is that they don't often get punished for mistakes, because of depth and speed.  When they hit a team with a really strong starting five (Whitworth, Nebraska Wesleyan, for example) that doesn't panic and is in good shape, those turnovers hurt them.

This is dead on, Ryan Scott. Except I'm not concerned about turnovers. Elite teams will expose any weakness.

Smitty Oom

Whitman is one of my very favorite teams to watch at any level. The team has a beautiful blend of athletes, selflessness, pace, shooters with all 5 players on the court at all time. I am very excited for the IWU, Wooster and of course the Whitworth games.

(509)Rat

Whitworth is about to lose to UT Dallas. Yuck. I've only seen the past 2-3 minutes but they have played exactly zero defense in that span.

4samuy

Not really impressed with Whitman. A lot of dribbling.

WUPHF

Quote from: 4samuy on November 25, 2018, 12:32:19 AM
Not really impressed with Whitman. A lot of dribbling.

And the clutch three point shooting.

4samuy

I'll give you that WUPHF, but as we know, you live and die with constant 3 point shooting. And they died. I thought Pomona had a better inside/outside balanced attack to their game.

WUPHF

Pomona was very impressive, no question.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Turnovers and missed FTs against a disciplined, hot-shooting team.  When Whitman loses, this is the profile.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere