MBB: NESCAC

Started by cameltime, April 27, 2005, 02:38:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

P'bearfan

Quote from: TheHerst2and4 on July 22, 2017, 06:20:44 PM
Middlebury alum and former Amherst assistant Koby Altman expected to be named the next GM of the Cavs at 34 years old. Congrats to Kolby and the Panther community, he's a great dude.

Congrats!  Always great to see NESCAC alums doing well.

nescac1

Congrats to Koby Altman, although not an enviable task (as much as being an NBA GM could ever be NOT enviable).  In all likelihood, Kyrie and Lebron will both be gone after this year and he will be stuck with building aorund Kevin Love, whatever they get for Kyrie (which will have to include both future assets and a replacement who can keep them in contention this season), and a bunch of middling / over-the-hill guys with outsized contracts, plus he has to deal with a pretty awful owner who has only succeded because of his ridiculously good luck in the NBA draft lottery.  A very challenging job! 

Speaking of NBA GMs, nice article by Cole Teal on  his quest to be an NBA GM.  It's amazing just how many former NESCAC players are thriving in the coaching / management ranks at the highest level of hoops.  Or maybe not, considering how analytics nerds have taken over the sport, and just how attractive NESCAC is to very smart students with a passion for athletics as well. 

http://ephsports.williams.edu/sports/mbkb/2016-17/releases/20170802izs3ud

nescac1

So this is quite interesting, a compilation of top-25 ranking information since the 2000 season:  http://www.d3hoops.com/top25/men/archive

For NESCAC,

Amherst: 17 seasons ranked, 214 total weeks ranked, highest ranking 1
Bates: 2, 10, 12
Bowdoin: 2, 7, 18
Colby: 1, 1, 25
Conn: 2, 24, 5
Hamilton: 2, 8, 16
Middlebury: 7, 83, 1
Trinity: 8, 39, 6
Tufts: 4, 24, 3
Wesleyan: 3, 11, 9
Williams: 13, 142, 1

Some cool stats: every NESCAC team has been ranked in the top 25 at least once.  Seven out of 11 have been ranked in the top ten at least once, which is even more impressive (I imagine no other conference had 11 teams ranked, or seven in the top-ten, during that time period, although I imagine CCIW and WIAC, and maybe ODAC and UAA, are way up there as well). 

Not surprisingly, Amherst leads the pack by a substantial margin (although I note that Williams had one of its best runs JUST before this time period, from 1995-1999, which included two final four appearances and several other highly-ranked squads, so if we went back a bit further, the Ephs and Mammoths would be roughly even).  Middlebury has probably been right there with Williamis and just behind Amherst over the past decade, but from 2000-2007 I imagine had zero weeks in which they were ranked.  Quite a dramatic change in fortune for that program, especially without changing coaches. 

Trinity has been ranked an impressive eight seasons, but averages fewer than five weeks in the rankings per each of these seasons. Trinity always seems to have some really impressive wins and some really cryptic losses, so that doesn't shock me.  Middlebury, by contrast, tends to stay ranked once they enter the top 25 (an average of 11.5 weeks per season when ranked, and in several of those the Panthers certainly did not start the year as a ranked squad). 

Speaking of changes in fortunes, amazing to see Conn faring pretty well on this list.  It's been a LONG time since the Kareen Tatum / Mizan Ayers glory days of 1997-2000; kind of feels like forever. 

I feel confident that Williams, Tufts and Middlebury will all start next season ranked in the top 25 (and Williams should be a top 5-6 team to start the year, most likely), since all return strong talent from Elite 8 teams, so all will have a chance to pad these stats further.  Everyone else in NESCAC will need to prove it on the court next year before cracking the rankings.  Although on paper this is the weakest Amherst squad since 2010, the Mammoths always have talent in reserve and can never be counted out.  I think also that Hamilton is a dark-horse top 25 contender next year.  Wesleyan has an outside shot too.  Anyone else would be a fairly massive surprise. 

amh63

Nescac1.....good comments and memories.  Interesting wrt to your mention of the roster of 2010.  The roster of season 2009-2010 had a great FY class and not a bad Soph class.  Names like Toomey and Willy W., big Pete Kaasilla, etc. appear on the roster...as FYs.  Looking at the 2010-20111 season, the then named LJs reached the NCAAs.  Oops, forgot T.Killian, Kalema and Williamson.  Believe they all went to the Final 4 and won a National title and a few CAC titles along along the way.

Old Guy

Thanks, NESCAC1. Great stuff. Great summer reading, anticipating next year's NESCAC action.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Per the rankings, I do believe the WIAC and maybe the CCIW has had the same, if not higher, percentage of teams in the conference ranked in the Top 10.

WIAC was the first team to have everyone ranked and it happened in like the first three years of the poll.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

amh63

Need to make a correction wrt to the earlier post on the 2010 BB season.  Toomey, Killian, and Kalema were FY on the 2010-2011 team , while Willy W, Big Pete K, and Williamson were FYs on the 2009-2010 team.  Rest of the post points out that in MBB, it takes a short time with talented players to develop a TEAM to reach the Final 4!
Now back to sidewalk supervise the new Amherst Science Building...again ;D.

lumbercat

Congratulations to former Bates Bobcats Marcus and Malcom Delpeche who have signed contracts to play professionally in Germany. Bobcat faithful wish them well and will be following their progress.

Old Guy

Quote from: lumbercat on August 09, 2017, 12:06:13 PM
Congratulations to former Bates Bobcats Marcus and Malcom Delpeche who have signed contracts to play professionally in Germany. Bobcat faithful wish them well and will be following their progress.

That will be fun. They will get better and better. Big guys take longer. Post their progress, lumbercat.

nescac1

In the slowest part of the offseason, just thought I'd throw out a list of returning players to watch next year.  With so many stars graduating (St. Amour, Brown, Aronowitz, Dawson, George, the Delpeche brothers, Ogundeko, Palleschi, Brown, Kuo, Rafferty, etc. etc.) it's going to be a wide open year in terms of all-league contention, and I expect that we will see a lot of break-out perfomances from guys making major leaps in production. 

Category 1: the cream of the crop
Kyle Scadlock, Johnny McCarthy, Jack Daly, Jack Simonds, Vinny Pace, Peter Hoffmann

.... these guys are pretty clearly the best returning guys -- Scadlock was a two-way monster in the post-season and will only get better, McCarthy and Hoffmann are both returning all-NESCAC players, Simonds put up huge stats his first two years and will be even better as an upperclassman, Daly should have been all-NESCAC in my view and is Midd's undisputed leader, and Pace will be back to 100 percent physically and should have a huge senior year as Tufts' unquestioned leader.  If this group stays healthy there is a very good chance they could produce a few all-Americans and should dominate the first-team all-NESCAC squad

Category 2: solid vets who could sneak onto the last few spots in the all-NESCAC second team
Tyler Rowe, Jordan Bonner, Michael Riopel, Cole Teal, Mike Greenman, Michael Grassey, David Labossiere, Lee Messier, Andrew Groll, Adisa Majors, Kevin O'Brien

... these guys are important players for their teams who have gradually improved over time, but we kind of know who they are as players at this point and it's unlikely that their performance changes dramatically.  Of these, Riopel has the best chance for a major leap forward in production. 

Category 3: potential break-out players.  These guys all have major unrealized upside, and are the most likely players to dramatically improve their impact next year with big off-seasons.   The most intriguing guys to watch in the fall in my view. 

Matt Folger -- showed the entire package as a frosh, great skills, timing and touch for a big guy.  Will need to be a big-time scorer for Midd as a sophomore with St. Amour and Brown's offense gone, remains to be seen how he will fare as a primary focus of defenses. 
Kena Gilmour -- impressive production as a first-year, but was a bit inconsistent.  Tremendous athlete and excellent shooter but needs to improve ball-handling and play-making to get to the next level. 
James Heskett -- late growth spurt makes him a rarity -- a true 6'8 D3 small forward.  His defense really impressed me in the post-season but his offense cooled off a bit.  Still, with his diverse skill set, he has the potential to be an inside-outside match-up nightmare if he keeps getting physically stronger and more assertive on offense.
Matt Karpowicz -- another Eph who came alive during the Final Four run.  He is a load down low and just has a knack for getting the ball into the basket in tight spaces.  Needs to show he can play more than a few effective minutes at a stretch.
Salim Green -- electric speed (maybe quickest first step in the league) and a nice-looking shot, but he has been injured off and on during his first two seasons, limiting his effectiveness.  With Rafferty graduated he will be the main man on the perimeter for Wesleyan, and if he is finally healthy could have a big-time scoring year.
Eric Savage -- really impressive first-year off the bench for Tufts, will be counted on for a much bigger role this year.  Could he move to the point to replace Tarik Smith?  If so he will put up huge numbers in that system. 
KJ Garrett -- kind of reminds me of Allen Williamson as a guy who isn't terribly tall but is physically strong and an absolutely massive leaper who also has a very nice touch from the perimeter.  Williamson finally put it all together as a senior.  I could see Garrett making a similar leap, just given his pure athletic ability and strength advantage over most guys in the league.  Should play a lot more minutes this year. 
Jeff Spellman -- another great perimeter athlete who was new to the league last year; he was hurt a bit by a late start.  Bates needs to find someone who can be a prime-time scorer for them and Spellman looks like the best candidate.  Capable of some really explosive plays but also needs more consistency.   
Joe Schneider -- scary physical specimen inside, but will his skills ever catch up to his frame and athleticism?  Even if not, should be a strong rim protector, rebounder, and dunker. 
Hugh O'Neil -- kind of like Schneider only with more production so far but probably less upside potential.  Another very athletic big man who needs some skill work. 
Jeremy Arthur -- very talented player, but I think a bit more was expected as a sophomore.  Will need to produce a ton next year with all that Trinity lost to graduation. 

Other than Garrett (who will be a senior) , Arthur and O'Neil, I'd say that all of those guys have the potential to develop into elite regional or potentially even all-American type players over time, but right now, that is just unrealized potential ...

P'bearfan

Quote from: nescac1 on August 15, 2017, 11:12:46 AM
In the slowest part of the offseason, just thought I'd throw out a list of returning players to watch next year.  With so many stars graduating (St. Amour, Brown, Aronowitz, Dawson, George, the Delpeche brothers, Ogundeko, Palleschi, Brown, Kuo, Rafferty, etc. etc.) it's going to be a wide open year in terms of all-league contention, and I expect that we will see a lot of break-out perfomances from guys making major leaps in production. 

Category 1: the cream of the crop
Kyle Scadlock, Johnny McCarthy, Jack Daly, Jack Simonds, Vinny Pace, Peter Hoffmann

.... these guys are pretty clearly the best returning guys -- Scadlock was a two-way monster in the post-season and will only get better, McCarthy and Hoffmann are both returning all-NESCAC players, Simonds put up huge stats his first two years and will be even better as an upperclassman, Daly should have been all-NESCAC in my view and is Midd's undisputed leader, and Pace will be back to 100 percent physically and should have a huge senior year as Tufts' unquestioned leader.  If this group stays healthy there is a very good chance they could produce a few all-Americans and should dominate the first-team all-NESCAC squad

Category 2: solid vets who could sneak onto the last few spots in the all-NESCAC second team
Tyler Rowe, Jordan Bonner, Michael Riopel, Cole Teal, Mike Greenman, Michael Grassey, David Labossiere, Lee Messier, Andrew Groll, Adisa Majors, Kevin O'Brien

... these guys are important players for their teams who have gradually improved over time, but we kind of know who they are as players at this point and it's unlikely that their performance changes dramatically.  Of these, Riopel has the best chance for a major leap forward in production. 

Category 3: potential break-out players.  These guys all have major unrealized upside, and are the most likely players to dramatically improve their impact next year with big off-seasons.   The most intriguing guys to watch in the fall in my view. 

Matt Folger -- showed the entire package as a frosh, great skills, timing and touch for a big guy.  Will need to be a big-time scorer for Midd as a sophomore with St. Amour and Brown's offense gone, remains to be seen how he will fare as a primary focus of defenses. 
Kena Gilmour -- impressive production as a first-year, but was a bit inconsistent.  Tremendous athlete and excellent shooter but needs to improve ball-handling and play-making to get to the next level. 
James Heskett -- late growth spurt makes him a rarity -- a true 6'8 D3 small forward.  His defense really impressed me in the post-season but his offense cooled off a bit.  Still, with his diverse skill set, he has the potential to be an inside-outside match-up nightmare if he keeps getting physically stronger and more assertive on offense.
Matt Karpowicz -- another Eph who came alive during the Final Four run.  He is a load down low and just has a knack for getting the ball into the basket in tight spaces.  Needs to show he can play more than a few effective minutes at a stretch.
Salim Green -- electric speed (maybe quickest first step in the league) and a nice-looking shot, but he has been injured off and on during his first two seasons, limiting his effectiveness.  With Rafferty graduated he will be the main man on the perimeter for Wesleyan, and if he is finally healthy could have a big-time scoring year.
Eric Savage -- really impressive first-year off the bench for Tufts, will be counted on for a much bigger role this year.  Could he move to the point to replace Tarik Smith?  If so he will put up huge numbers in that system. 
KJ Garrett -- kind of reminds me of Allen Williamson as a guy who isn't terribly tall but is physically strong and an absolutely massive leaper who also has a very nice touch from the perimeter.  Williamson finally put it all together as a senior.  I could see Garrett making a similar leap, just given his pure athletic ability and strength advantage over most guys in the league.  Should play a lot more minutes this year. 
Jeff Spellman -- another great perimeter athlete who was new to the league last year; he was hurt a bit by a late start.  Bates needs to find someone who can be a prime-time scorer for them and Spellman looks like the best candidate.  Capable of some really explosive plays but also needs more consistency.   
Joe Schneider -- scary physical specimen inside, but will his skills ever catch up to his frame and athleticism?  Even if not, should be a strong rim protector, rebounder, and dunker. 
Hugh O'Neil -- kind of like Schneider only with more production so far but probably less upside potential.  Another very athletic big man who needs some skill work. 
Jeremy Arthur -- very talented player, but I think a bit more was expected as a sophomore.  Will need to produce a ton next year with all that Trinity lost to graduation. 

Other than Garrett (who will be a senior) , Arthur and O'Neil, I'd say that all of those guys have the potential to develop into elite regional or potentially even all-American type players over time, but right now, that is just unrealized potential ...

nescac1 +1 to you.  Always great to get a thoughtful bball analysis at this time of the year.

I would add Jack Bors to group #3.  Last season Bors put up some solid numbers, hit clutch shots and played relentless defense all while playing through some tough injuries.  If he's healthy he could have a stellar year.

Canvas Hightops

A serious Wow, nescac1.  Way to break up the summer basketball doldrums.
Can't take issue with any of your picks.
Only three weeks or so before NESCAC players will be playing daily pick-up ball and tidbits of info will again be appearing on the D3 boards.
Thanks for leading off the season in style.
I'd give you some +k if I had the seniority to do so.

Middfan

Well done nescac1.  Many thanks for getting our heads in the game!

Old Guy

Great stuff, NESCAC1. I visited the one-day camp at Middlebury last Sunday and watched some dynamic high schoolers in action. Matt Folger and Nick Tarantino were working the camp. I'm ready for the season to start, now.

Midd goes from having a terrific backcourt to having a very strong frontcourt, which started out last season with lots of question marks and ended up an excellent complement to the St. Amour/Brown/Daly juggernaut. It'll be a powerful four-man rotation: Majors, Tarantino, Folger, McCord — tall, strong, unselfish players who run the floor. They will be fun to watch and present a challenging set of match-ups for other teams.

nescac1

Thanks all, appreciate the feedback!

Williams posted welcomes to its three incoming frosh, Marc Taylor, Mike Myers, and Dan Kacmarek ...

https://twitter.com/CoachKevinApp/status/901455655604822016
https://twitter.com/CoachKevinApp/status/901455333452906500
https://twitter.com/CoachKevinApp/status/901455460213039105

A small group of recruits, but with only one senior graduating from the rotation, there isn't a lot of room for new players to make an impact next year in all events. 

Williams has more size on its roster than any previous Williams team that I can recall: with two more 6'8 players added, that makes seven guys who are 6'8 and over on next year's projected roster -- and none of them will be seniors!  Size isn't everything, of course, but the Ephs should have the luxury of tremendous depth and intense competition for playing time up front over the next few seasons.   All four rising seniors are guards (including both returning backcourt starters) so I hope that the Ephs will try to bring in several high quality, early-impact guards in the next recruiting class ...