BB: Regionals (New York) Auburn NY '08, SUNY-Old Westbury '09, Cortland State '10, '11

Started by Ralph Turner, May 11, 2008, 11:48:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph Turner

Here is the message board for postings related to the Auburn NY Regional.

scuba16

Wow, an 8 team NY regional with 4 out of region teams.
Who would have thought.
Having said that , this is a dynamite regional with Cortland, IC, RPI, ECONN, Montclair, and Ohio Wesleyan! Talk about national power teams.
Should be an unbelievable regional.

Side note:
As a supporter of NY region baseball, I have to admit that at the end of the yr, I can't think of another NY team that actually deserved to be put in this regional because of their play at the end of the year!
You have to earn a bid and if you don't win at the end, you know the deal!

In sports it's not how you start, its how you finish!

BaseB13

I agree Scuba, it appears the NCAA has gotten away from referring to each regional by a state now.  If you look at their official website they refer to them as the Auburn Regional etc.  I suppose this way people can't complain about "out of region" teams being sent to other regions.  Did think some of the placements of teams geographically were quite odd.  Farmingdale of Long Island gets sent 5 or 6 hours to Auburn and then Penn State Behrend of Erie PA gets sent 5 or 6 hours down to New Jersey?  Would think economically/geographically it would have made sense to flip flop them.  NJAC got 4 teams including Montclair to Auburn.  It is the best conference in the country though so that kind of makes sense.  Will all the games be broadcast over the internet as in years past by Cortland?

Rick Vaughn

The best first round matchup in the country could be in Auburn.  EConn and Montclair should be a great one.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: BaseB13 on May 12, 2008, 10:40:38 AM
\Will all the games be broadcast over the internet as in years past by Cortland?

The plan is that yes, like last year, D3baseball.com will broadcast audio from this entire regional.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

scuba16

Econn's always got some gassers and Montclair see's it all in the NJAC. It will be a good 1. Anybody know anything about Grove City?

NYBB

i'm rooting for Farmingdale out of my Skyline Conference.  They don't have an overpowering pitcher like Westbury does but they're a very solid team.  Good luck to them!

scuba16

Farmingdale may be in a little over their heads the later they get in this tourney, especially if they don't have a stud on the mound. You know they are going to see Sotung and he is pretty good.
They could beat IC though. This is shaping up to be a great regional!

AlleyCat

Ithaca has Ohio Wes. in the 1st round.

Farmingdale plays RPI.

ecfaninri

Econn vs. Monclair in game 1 - yes it should be. They played each other once early this season. Montclair winning 7-6 on the road. Eastern's final game vs. Keene St., a 1-0 game with the winning run scoring from second on a base hit with 2 outs in the bottom of the ninth inning. What a heartbreaker. EConn is no stranger to the NY region. From what I hear, 2006 they finished 3rd in the LEC and ended up winning the LEC tourney and was given a spot in Auburn. They ended up having to face Cortland in the finals beating them twice. I just can't believe how many people are complaining about having to go to this region or that region - its too far - travel..  Think about it .... everyone's goal is to get to Wisconsin. Players are out of school for the most part... for some it may be their last hurrah... on the road with their friends ... playing ball... what's better than that? I'm sure right now some of those teams who weren't in the field of 54 would do anything  to be still playing,,,,, anywhere. Emory, Ripon, Suffolk, Tyler-Texas etc. Good luck to everyone... enjoy the moment.

dgilblair

I agree ecfaninri.  Enjoy the moment.  Don't think to many ECSU fans are complaining about going to Auburn.  They have seen enough of the Trinity, Keene St., Southern Maine, Wheaton, WNEC boys this year.  But then again not sure we want to seen IC again or Montclair, Cortland, Rensselaer, Farmingdale, Ohio Wesleyan, Grove City. People are saying the NE region is so tough but boy this NY region has to be just as tough. It's time to do battle.  Should be good.

ECSUalum

DGilblair,

Do you wish to give us a status report on Shawn?

Without Shawn pitching/hitting most of the season, in my opinion, is the main reason the Warriors did not win the LEC/LEC Tourney.

I realize injuries are part of the game, but, without Shawn, Eastern was at a major disadvantage.

hopefuly he will get some at bats, as the team batting avg has been dropping and they really need his bat in the lineup.

Anyway, if he plays or not, I hope he has a off season that allows him to be 150% next spring!!!

He is just a GREAT player!!!

dgilblair

Thanks

Well, he is on the roster so thats a good thing.  He should be good to go come Wednesday as far as hitting.  Not to sure he will be ready to throw anytime soon.

I think the team as a whole needs to have better at bats.  Naturally they need to have the timely hits just like all the other teams. 

As far as the pitching I think Fontaine has filled up Shawns spot in the rotation pretty darn good.  Of course he's not a lefty but we can't all be blessed.......LOL.

He's not playing this summer.  Going to get fixed up and come back strong in the spring. 

It's time for the Warriors to start swinging the lumber if want any chance of moving on.  Look at Espo's last start, a run or two would have been nice.

ECSUalum

Quote from: DGilblair on May 12, 2008, 09:28:25 PM
Thanks

Well, he is on the roster so thats a good thing.  He should be good to go come Wednesday as far as hitting.  Not to sure he will be ready to throw anytime soon.

I think the team as a whole needs to have better at bats.  Naturally they need to have the timely hits just like all the other teams. 

As far as the pitching I think Fontaine has filled up Shawns spot in the rotation pretty darn good.  Of course he's not a lefty but we can't all be blessed.......LOL.

He's not playing this summer.  Going to get fixed up and come back strong in the spring. 

It's time for the Warriors to start swinging the lumber if want any chance of moving on.  Look at Espo's last start, a run or two would have been nice.

Thanks for the update , much appreciated.

Yeas just thrilled with Espo's last couple of outings!  Fontaine and Jags has been great , but if shawn was health, what a rotaion for the regionals.

Will be waiting in anticipation for the spring when Shawn is healthy.

Got to believe if he puts in another year like his freshman year, we will see a lot of scouts visiting Mansfield

Best of luck to him in the Regionls and in the off season ;D

pudge27

I see that the ECONN folks are starting out strong on the board.  Bringing in ECONN, Montclair and OWU makes this regional a tough run for anyone.  Can't say that I know much about Farmingdale or Grove City, so any info would be appreciated. 

I'm a bit biased but I think that the 8 team regional is a good thing for Cortland.  They've got really good depth and a lot of arms.  Early rounds may be the best way to get them if someone's going to pull the upset.  Any way it plays out, someone's going to have to run through some good teams to move on.