FB: Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:06:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Matson

Wheaton's year thus far has been good, but as has been stated over on the CCIW board, it is too early to come to any definitive conclusions.  Wash U and Albion were both blow outs for the Thunder but both games were at home.  On the road in front of a good crowd at Hope might lead to a different outcome.

Thus far though, the Thunder defense is as good as I've seen it in years, so Hope will have to move the ball well to have a shot.
Managing Editor, D3soccer.com

formerd3db

Hello Mr. Soccar-Man from Wheaton!  Yes, friend, I believe you are right.  Hope's defense has not been too bad overall in their first two games despite the losses.  The problem has been the offense and turnovers.  Indeed, Hope's offense will have to eliminate the latter (and of course move the ball, take advantage of potential scoring opportunities) to have a chance against your Wheaton.  While home field advantage and a probable decent crowd since it is our first home game (although being 0-2 could hurt that a bit) are +'s, as you know, doesn't guarantee a win.  I think it will be a good game, however, it certainly could be a blow-out (I HOPE not for us! ;D).  Even though Wheaton has blown out A & W as you mention, they seem to be pretty balanced.

BTW, are you going to make the trip up here this year?  If so, let me know - it would be great to meet you. 
"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

formerd3db

Hiker Jim:
I may have made an "oops"! :-[ Were you a soccer guy or runner at Wheaton? ???  Someone told me and I forgot. ;D
"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: formerd3db on September 18, 2006, 06:51:49 PM
Hiker Jim:
I may have made an "oops"! :-[ Were you a soccer guy or runner at Wheaton? ???  Someone told me and I forgot. ;D

He's the moderator for the soccer boards, if that helps!

formerd3db

WLCALUM83

With Tri-State's new offensive scheme, how many in-conference games will the Thunder win? (Giving an up-to-now second-division team a little more attention.) ;)

matblake

Personally, I think this weeks game between Hope and Wheaton will be the toughest the Thunder have had yet.  Wheaton has not been away from home yet and the two have some history between them.  Personally, if Wheaton controls from the defensive side of the ball as they have been, it might turn into a long afternoon for the Dutchmen IMO, specifically because of formerd3's post.  Hope should be pretty fired up for their first home game though. 

79jaybird

Saturday's Elmhurst/Olivet game will be a homecoming for 5 Bluejays.
QB Mike LaFleur   Mt. Pleasant, MI
TE/WR Lex Cisler  E. Grand Rapids, MI
WR Matt Long       Mt. Pleasant, MI
WR Graeme Jarrell  E. Grand Rapids, MI
WR Blake Veldhuis Mt. Pleasant, MI
VOICE OF THE BLUEJAYS '01-'10
CCIW FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS 1978 1980 2012
CCIW BASKETBALL CHAMPIONS 2001
2022 BASKETBALL NATIONAL RUNNER UP
2018 CCIW PICK EM'S CHAMPION

bulldogalum

79jaybird:

Is there any specific connection between Elmhurst, EGR, and MP, or is that just a terrific coincidence?

matblake

Quote from: 79jaybird on September 20, 2006, 03:42:46 PM
Saturday's Elmhurst/Olivet game will be a homecoming for 5 Bluejays.
QB Mike LaFleur   Mt. Pleasant, MI
TE/WR Lex Cisler  E. Grand Rapids, MI
WR Matt Long       Mt. Pleasant, MI
WR Graeme Jarrell  E. Grand Rapids, MI
WR Blake Veldhuis Mt. Pleasant, MI

jaybird, any idea if all the Mt. Pleasant guys went to the same high school?  Same with the E. Grand Rapids guys.

79jaybird

MatBlake- Mike LaFleur, Matt Long, and Blake Veldhuis are all from the same high school.  Mt. Pleasant, MI (HS) is what's listed in the football program.
Lex Cisler and Graeme Jarrell are also from the same high school in East Grand Rapids.
BulldogAlum- I know Elmhurst has recruited heavily in Michigan and Wisconsin. This is a bit of a change from when I played, when EC recruited heavily in Florida.  I think when I played, 1/4 of our team were Floridians, and now we have a fair mix of talent.
72 from IL
5 from MI
3 from WI
2 from CA
2 from FL
VOICE OF THE BLUEJAYS '01-'10
CCIW FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS 1978 1980 2012
CCIW BASKETBALL CHAMPIONS 2001
2022 BASKETBALL NATIONAL RUNNER UP
2018 CCIW PICK EM'S CHAMPION

matblake

I looked at the stats and Hope definitely appears to be a team that likes to pass.  If the weather is bad, what kind of impact will it have on the game?

formerd3db

matblake:

As you mentioned over on your CCIW board, the grass field could have an effect if it rains in regards to the passing.  Although Hope has shown a tendency for the passing game, with rain conditions a short pass pattern game would have a better effect in moving the ball.  Even then, however, they have to refrain from turnovers i.e. interceptions which has hurt them in the previous games.  As I mentioned before, avoidance of those (turnovers) will be the key for Hope, in the sense that either team could still play a good game without turnovers and get beat.

I HOPE the weather is decent tomorrow, however, the current reports are not promising.

matblake

Thanks formerd3.  I was going to make an attempt to get out and see the game in person, but the rain and a "honey do" list take precedence this week, especially with our trek to Illinois planned for Wheaton's Homecoming. 

D306

Big game for Hope.
Need a win going into league play.
Wheaton and Albion played earlier how much of gage do you think this game is for Hope.
bad game for Albion at Wheaton under the lights first time at Wheaton,Couple bad turnovers and it was on.

The week off for Albion gives them an advantage to plan for Hope