FB: Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:06:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WLCALUM83

WLCALUM83

In a way, it's a shame for Alma, given how great the Scots' offense is when Brehm is on his game. At this point, IMHO, I expected Alma and Adrian to put up more of a challenge. Olivet and Tri-State are my 2 "surprise teams" thus far. :) ;) :D :) ;) :D

ACRULZ

The Adrian score was 20 - 0 at the half, not 20 - 12.  The final score was 33-13, the last TD was scored on Adrian's 2 defense in which WLC called a timeout with about :30 left...with their 1 O still in.  I will say, Kehl is a great back, better than Booko I believe.  Looks like Coach Cole was right when he declared Hope MIAA champions several weeks ago.

ACRULZ

I think the Kzoo/Alma game will be very interesting.  Kzoo has a pretty decent offense that goes against a suspect defense this week.  I think Kzoo will pull off the upset over Alma.  Also I like Hope over Olivet, even at Olivet.  Hope is in contol of their own destiny and I think their destiny is to be league champs and go to the playoffs.

Superfoot Wallace

Olivet as a surprise team is exciting to me as I have followed this revolving door that has been their previous four head coahces, leaving and returning as well being assistant under one another.

The success under the one back or spread guy this time might be proving one of my hyptohesis about the wing t informing both run and shoot as well as spread, or in other words all oneback teams.

best regards,
the slotbone
See that, that spells Adidas

WLCALUM83

Quote from: ACRULZ on October 29, 2006, 05:10:46 PM
The Adrian score was 20 - 0 at the half, not 20 - 12.  The final score was 33-13, the last TD was scored on Adrian's 2 defense in which WLC called a timeout with about :30 left...with their 1 O still in.  I will say, Kehl is a great back, better than Booko I believe.  Looks like Coach Cole was right when he declared Hope MIAA champions several weeks ago.

I stand corrected on the score. Thanks for the positive props on Matt Kehl. Even though it's been a lean football year for WLC, regardless of what happens the rest of this season, one of the things he'll be remembered for is his major contributions to a few Warrior wins over the last couple of years. ;)

formerd3db

ACRULZ:
Nothing against or to be taken away from Kehl as I'm sure he is a great player and student-athlete.  However, I would say that most people would disagree with you in your comments that he is a better back than Booko.  The latter is just one, tough, bruising back who has speed, agility, and strength to run over people yet make moves when necessary to "jock" people.  He is also has good hands and is a good blocker.  His overall league stats at least in running are better than Kehl's and this with his not being 100% and missing this last game due to an ankle spain (he should be back to form for the Olivet game).

At any rate, while admittedly I have not yet seen Kehl, as for my opinion, in all fairness I will wait until having the opportunity to see them both at the same time when Wis Luth visits us at Hope for the final reg season game in two weeks.  That being said, as WLCALUM83 noted, I also add my congrats Kehl for his overall career and contributions to WLC's program, despite their tough season this year.

MacLeod:
O wpi;d jave to agree with you and the others in Olivet being the real surprise team in the league this year.  I was surprised that they beat Alma, after having seen the Alma/Hope game.  Of course, you having been associated with Olivet as you mention, you know more of the "inside" info as to the offenses in past years.  However, without opening that "can of worms of a discussion again", I still like them when they had the Wing-T (and those U of Mich helmet logos!) - their 8-2 season despite not winning the league that year was tremendous.  And for those who maintain the Wing-T has not brought them success in the post-season i.e. in the run for a Stagg Bowl national championship), neither has any other offense for the MIAA teams since Albion's 1994 wonder year! ;D ;)

I look for a close tough game at Olivet on Sat, but, of course, have to agree with the others (and pick) that Hope will win. :)

Now Kazoo vs. Alma could be a tough one to pick, especially with the way Alma has been self destructing as of recent.  On the other hand, I think they'll beat Kazoo, despite it being at Kazoo.  The latter is much improved, but still not as good as Alma I believe, after having seen both teams play. 

Talk to you all later.
"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

wlcalum

Just a couple numbers to throw out there to explain why we at WLC are so high on Kehl.
He needs 38 yards to surpass 3000. He needs 93 yards to be the MIAA all time rushing leader. He was the MIAA 2004 and 2005 rushing leader. and lead the MIAA in 2004 in all purpose runing with 204.7 yards per game. He is still averaging 124 all purpose yards per game this year compared to Booko's 140.8. Booko is doing it all running, for the most part. Kehl can run and catch.
Now we could brag on Matt all day long but I guess the real stat is what have you done for me lately and WLC has won how many games in the last three years? :-[
No disrespect meant to Booko as he is a great runner and no disrespect taken for Kehl - we just like who we like and that is that. Best of luck to both these young men as Kehl will graduate and we get the honor of watching Booko tear it up next year.

ACRULZ

Quote from: formerd3db on October 29, 2006, 09:42:12 PM
ACRULZ:
Nothing against or to be taken away from Kehl as I'm sure he is a great player and student-athlete.  However, I would say that most people would disagree with you in your comments that he is a better back than Booko.  The latter is just one, tough, bruising back who has speed, agility, and strength to run over people yet make moves when necessary to "jock" people.  He is also has good hands and is a good blocker.  His overall league stats at least in running are better than Kehl's and this with his not being 100% and missing this last game due to an ankle spain (he should be back to form for the Olivet game).

At any rate, while admittedly I have not yet seen Kehl, as for my opinion, in all fairness I will wait until having the opportunity to see them both at the same time when Wis Luth visits us at Hope for the final reg season game in two weeks.  That being said, as WLCALUM83 noted, I also add my congrats Kehl for his overall career and contributions to WLC's program, despite their tough season this year.

Kehl may not have the stats but look at what blocks for Booko and what blocks for Kehl.  I have seen both backs and both O-lines.  Hope's O-Line is far superior.  I believe if Kehl was running behind Hope's O-Line he may have surpassed 3000 career yards already.  Also Hope has a decent passing game, a lot better than WLC's which also takes pressure off of Booko and on Kehl.

formerd3db

ACRULZ and wlcalum:
Likewise, no disrespect intended nor taken. :)  Kehl has indeed done a great job as you outline.  I would only clarify that while I agree that he would most likely do even better behind Hope's line; with all due respect to our line, it is not playing as good as Hope's line has in recent past years.  That makes Booko's performance all the more impressive; moreover, his receiving stats are less than Kehls because Hope doesn't throw to him much at all - the offense passing game is not designed for that.   Yet, again, no disrespect to our offensive line since those young men (as is all Hope's team) are presently playing their hearts out after such a rough 0-3 start.  Obviously, the defense picked it up this last game as I mentioned.

Anyway, as mentioned, I will hold off on my final comments after I've had the opportunity to see both Kehl and Booko in the season final.  Yet again, I do compliment him on a great career and good individual season so far, despite the tough year WLC is having as a team.  Indeed, you guys can be proud and promote the great back that Kehl is.  Best of luck to WLC this week; maybe this will be their "break out" Sat as in "any given Sat".
"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

Superfoot Wallace

The Scot gun rides again for all those in cahoots with Albion.   CWRU had a guy on their team in 98 named William Wallace,  Brehm sounds more Pennsylvania Dutch.   :)

the Duluth Eskimos
See that, that spells Adidas

WLCALUM83

bulldog alum:

Of the following wins, which one was the most satisfying for you? :) ;) :D ;D (After all, I shared mine).

2000:   Adrian 13, WLC 12.

2002:   Adrian 56, WLC 26.

2003:   Adrian 31, WLC 17.

2005:   Adrian 31, WLC 14.

2006:   Adrian 33, WLC 13.

79jaybird

Who will win the Hope/Olivet game this weekend?  While I think Olivet will give the Dutch a good fight and it helps having the home field/fans at their backs,  I think the Dutch prevail in the 4th quarter.  I could see it being something like 28-17  with 10-14 points coming in the 4th quarter.  Tough game to gauge because both teams have had great moments, and poor moments throughout the year.  I know in the Elmhurst/Olivet game when we were up there (week 3) Olivet was plagued by turnovers, otherwise I think the Comets are right there with the Bluejays.
VOICE OF THE BLUEJAYS '01-'10
CCIW FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS 1978 1980 2012
CCIW BASKETBALL CHAMPIONS 2001
2022 BASKETBALL NATIONAL RUNNER UP
2018 CCIW PICK EM'S CHAMPION

WLCALUM83

If Booko can go the whole game it'll be a big help for the Dutchmen. He was held out for much of the TSU game. Booko vs. Clasgens-how's that for a potential matchup of good runners, eh? ;) :D

bulldogalum

Quote from: WLCALUM83 on October 31, 2006, 03:21:49 PM
bulldog alum:

Of the following wins, which one was the most satisfying for you? :) ;) :D ;D (After all, I shared mine).

2000:   Adrian 13, WLC 12.

2002:   Adrian 56, WLC 26.

2003:   Adrian 31, WLC 17.

2005:   Adrian 31, WLC 14.

2006:   Adrian 33, WLC 13.

well, to be fair, I didn't see any of those games (for whatever reason, the game against WLC was NEVER a good weekend for me when I was in school, always some other obligation).  I'll take the win this year, simply because it's the freshest in my mind, and it's a win against WLC in our last game against them before they leave the MIAA.  Hopefully this will not be the last time the Bulldogs face Wisconsin Lutheran, in spite of the fact that we've had our troubles in Milwaukee, I know our players and coaches have always really enjoyed that trip.  Best of luck on the rest of the season!