BB: E8: Empire 8

Started by maxpower, February 23, 2007, 12:22:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NYbaseballguy

Congrats to the Cards!  This program deserves this.  They have been awfully consistent over the past 7 years.  Definitely just a step behind Cortland but a top 2 team in this region for some time.  After being close in some at large bids, they do the committee right by earning the two seed and having a chance to play for it all.  With Cortland advancing, it gives the NY region two teams in the college world series...so much for baseball being a southern sport...the defending national champs are back, joined by another region team. If it wasn't for Tufts, Oswego may have joined them as well...good luck to all.

sjfcards

First time ever two NY region teams have made the world series. One happy fan tonight. A lot of stuff went Fisher's way this week, but I think they were the best team when it was all said and done. Nice to see another E8 team on the world series to add t OK the Ithaca legacy
GO FISHER!!!

Ralph Turner

Quote from: sjfcards on May 16, 2016, 11:50:32 PM
In some ways I am happy Fisher got moved out of Auburn. They avoid Cortland, and top to bottom I think they have as good a chance as anyone in the regional. Misercordia looks like the real deal, and I know what Haverford has, so I don't think anything will be easy however. It is just nice when I can go see the regional in Auburn. Tailgate all day and watch some baseball. Scranton is a manageable trip if I decide to venture out that way should Fisher do well.
i love it when teams can be conveniently moved out of region!
SJF and Cortland get to go.
Shenandoah and Randolph-Macon were both trying to get to Wisconsin from the ODAC.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: NYbaseballguy on May 21, 2016, 09:58:10 PM
Congrats to the Cards!  This program deserves this.  They have been awfully consistent over the past 7 years.  Definitely just a step behind Cortland but a top 2 team in this region for some time.  After being close in some at large bids, they do the committee right by earning the two seed and having a chance to play for it all.  With Cortland advancing, it gives the NY region two teams in the college world series...so much for baseball being a southern sport...the defending national champs are back, joined by another region team. If it wasn't for Tufts, Oswego may have joined them as well...good luck to all.
Congrats on 2 teams NY'guy!

My impression is that the state schools in the north have such strong baseball teams because the talent looks at a "1/8th" or a "1/16th" baseballl scholarship down south versus a great chance to play at the quality programs in the SUNYAC, NJAC and the WIAC and decides to stay home.

The talent in the NESCAC, NEWMAC, UAA, MIAC and E8 decide to take a "partial academic scholarship/grant-in-aid" and get their education.

They may never play pro ball, but they are "smart enough" to afford box seats/season tickets at their local major league stadium

NYbaseballguy

Ralph, NY has been quite balanced minus Cortland.  Oswego recently has made a big jump.  Brockport for years was the number 2 team in that league.  Oneonta had a decent run.  Ithaca obviously for years as well as RPI were right behind Cortland.  St. John Fisher has emerged with their Coach Potter over the past seven years from a decent team to a regional force.  Rochester, Clarkson, Union have all had nice clubs.  It's actually quite balanced.  Cortland just has that Physical Education component with a great staff that is hard to top.  Baseball is most definitely on the uptick in the state.

e8bbfan

I agree, NY baseball is definitely on the rise and two teams in the CWS helps make that point.  Looks like Oswego just missed a chance to make it three teams.  I'm glad they were all in different regions.  That gave the NY teams 3 chances to get a team to the CWS and not just one had they all stayed in the NY region.  The Northeast region as a whole is well represented with two teams from PA making it as well.  Cortland and Fisher are in different pools so it's possible they could meet for the championship!  That would certainly put NY baseball on the map.  There are a lot of good teams though, it should be a great tournament.

sjfcards

Very excited to see Fisher get going in the D3 World Series tonight. Hopefully they are not overwhelmed by their first trip to the big show, and can pitch/hit like they have all year. I don't know anything about Keystone other than what I was able to read on the D3baseball front page. Hoping for good things this weekend for Fisher, but all in all a great season regardless of the outcomes this weekend!
GO FISHER!!!

magicman

Fisher was trailing Keystone 3-0 after 5 innings but Keystone erupts for 9 runs in the top of the 6th to put this one away. Cardinals now trailing by a 15-0 score in the 7th. They are scheduled to play again Saturday evening at 7:45 Eastern time in a Pool B elimination game if the weather holds up. They will face either Wisconsin-Whitewater or La Roche. Hope the Cardinals can forget about this one and come back with a win.   

NYbaseballguy

Strange game and well reported Magicman. I suspect Fisher will respond well tonight.  It was a game where after I could see the video, it looked like they were going to score.  Keystone had some real nice plays in the OF that kept the Cards off the board and the nine run inning obviously sealed the deal.  Lewis just never got ahead of guys enough.  Keystone can hit.  We will see how it goes tonight.  Fisher will come back with Iseneker who is very good.

jdex

Fisher plays on, wins in the ninth 4-3 over Wisc-Whitewater. Twas 3-3 after two frames ..........Following is taken from Austin Walthers' review of the game on D3 site:

"Fisher leadoff man Cody Wiktorski opened up the bottom half of the ninth with a double off the wall which drove Bachar out of the game.

The left fielder Austin Jones came into the game and put the next two batters on with intentional walks to load the bases. Roethel came up and hit a liner off of Jones which was picked up by the first baseman to throw out the runner at home for the first out.

Kelsey then hit a chopper to short which was thrown home late and scored Ryan Prevost after he pinch hit Trotman to win the game for the Cardinals.' 

NYbaseballguy

Cards survive!  Now let's get the Dragons another win today.  It is nice to see Fisher get a W.  The Keystone game was just a very strange/bad game.  Last night was a bit more indicative of how this team has been playing.  Good luck to Cortland today.  NY teams all get at least one win...another good sign for the region.

e8bbfan

Final D3 polls came out today: http://www.d3baseball.com/top25/2016/2016Top25-week-final

Cortland #2, Fisher #7 and Oswego #12 so nice showing for NY baseball this year.  Odd that Cortland landed at #2 when Keystone finished runner up.  Also, Emory ahead of Fisher?  Emory went 0-2 in CWS.  I'm assuming rankings coming into CWS were taken into account.  None the less, strong year for NY baseball.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: e8bbfan on June 03, 2016, 12:56:45 PM
Final D3 polls came out today: http://www.d3baseball.com/top25/2016/2016Top25-week-final

Cortland #2, Fisher #7 and Oswego #12 so nice showing for NY baseball this year.  Odd that Cortland landed at #2 when Keystone finished runner up.  Also, Emory ahead of Fisher?  Emory went 0-2 in CWS.  I'm assuming rankings coming into CWS were taken into account.  None the less, strong year for NY baseball.
Most fans thought that the Pool A bracket had the best teams. Emory lost on a solo homerun to Cortland in the opening game. In fact Emory's losing pitcher in the Cortland game made the All-Tourney team!

D3SportsFan

With Empire 8 adding the AQ this year, is there a preseason poll out yet? How much is St. John Fisher ahead of the rest of the teams after last year's CWS run?

e8bbfan

Hard to believe the season is right around the corner but I'm glad!  Depending on which poll you look at, Fisher is ranked in the top 15, top 10 in two polls.  Cortland is top 5 in all polls, #1 in two I believe.  Oswego is as high as #5 but top 15 in most, so another strong showing out of the gate for NY teams.

Fisher's first half of their schedule is going to be challenging as they play a handful of ranked teams before starting E8 play against Ithaca, who I think will be in the top 25 before the year ends.