FB: Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:19:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

UWO Titan 78

Quote from: WW on May 17, 2019, 11:33:00 AM
Hey WIACers, if yall's ears are ringing, it's because we're being talked about plenty on the MIAC board. Seems they want to toss St. Thomas for being too good, and many have suggested the WIAC as a likely new home for the Tommies. Further burgeoning the case is WIAC Commissioner Gary Karner saying that WIAC is open to discussion with schools outside the UW system for full and affiliate membership (the latter of which occurs in several sports).

Me, I can't see it. WIAC is a brand extension of the UW system. But I'm old, and still don't get how the Big 10 can have 14 members, one of which is Rutgers (!).

I think there has been a void in the conference since Superior left. I'd be all for it. I haven't looked at their entire portfolio, but I think they would be very competitive in a lot of sports. It would help for scheduling in football and for scheduling and automatic qualifiers in other sports (baseball, hockey, etc). It would hurt some recruiting (UWRF recruits Minnesota pretty hard), but kids looking for public education would still lean toward RF. Do others see negatives?

retagent

Hey WIACers, if yall's ears are ringing, it's because we're being talked about plenty on the MIAC board. Seems they want to toss St. Thomas for being too good, and many have suggested the WIAC as a likely new home for the Tommies. Further burgeoning the case is WIAC Commissioner Gary Karner saying that WIAC is open to discussion with schools outside the UW system for full and affiliate membership (the latter of which occurs in several sports).

Me, I can't see it. WIAC is a brand extension of the UW system. But I'm old, and still don't get how the Big 10 can have 14 members, one of which is Rutgers (!).

And Johns Hopkins. ;D

badgerwarhawk

It would be some what ironic if STU ended up in the WIAC and were forced to play us considering we've been trying to schedule them in football for some time and they've been unwilling. 
"Just think twice is my only advice."

gbpuckfan

The old WWIAC used to have Marquette, Carthage, Carroll and Ripon ... Yes, that can be considered ancient history when it comes to women's sports, but wouldn't be unprecedented in Wisconsin

And while auxiliary members are certainly different, the WIAC has included Lawrence, Gustavus, Hamline, Finlandia  - and will soon have Northland.
St. Norbert College Green Knights
NCAA D3 Hockey National Champions 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
Midwest Conf. football champs: 85, 87, 88, 89, 99, 00, 01, 02, 03, 04, 06, 07, 10, 12, 13, 15, 18

jamtod

Let's contemplate this schedule for a second:
UST in the WIAC with out of conference matchups against St John's AND Bethel. While the alums focus on Tommie-Johnnie, the football program for years has indicated that the true biggest rivalry on the schedule is Bethel.

I'm not sure that both St John's and Bethel could stay on the schedule if we moved conferences, but it's fun to think about. Those 2 plus Whitewater, Oshkosh, Platteville, an improving LaCrosse. UST could end up with 5 losses with that schedule.

02 Warhawk

I find the whole situation sad. Can't compete with them.....boot them out.

Pathetic move by the MIAC. Huge black eye for them IMO.

I can hear the OAC laughing from here.

'95 Blugold

If they stay D3, looks like either the WIAC or the IIAC would be the options. Did see some talk on the MIAC board, they may try to petition to make a straight jump to D1. Financially, jumping to D2 or D1 would be astronomical I would think. I'm sure they have some well off donors, but that seems like a pretty big jump.

Pat Coleman

Welcome to the board.

I don't think the ARC would reject St. Thomas out of hand, but it is a lot of travel. It took a long time for the league to come around to accepting Nebraska Wesleyan.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

emma17

I had posted the following on the MIAC board earlier today, but it may not have been taken as intended, given the more serious stuff they are dealing with.

"There may be unintended consequences w the idea of the WIAC amending rules to allow St. Thomas in. We'd end up w a conference that is home to three teams to have reached the Stagg Bowl in the last ten years-surely the Pool C rules would need to be amended."

My intent isn't to claim WIAC greatness. My point is, the discussion to change the playoff selection process that happens every year will be even more intense for the WIAC as it's likely one or two very capable teams will be left out. 

jamtod

Quote from: emma17 on May 22, 2019, 06:36:34 PM
I had posted the following on the MIAC board earlier today, but it may not have been taken as intended, given the more serious stuff they are dealing with.

"There may be unintended consequences w the idea of the WIAC amending rules to allow St. Thomas in. We'd end up w a conference that is home to three teams to have reached the Stagg Bowl in the last ten years-surely the Pool C rules would need to be amended."

My intent isn't to claim WIAC greatness. My point is, the discussion to change the playoff selection process that happens every year will be even more intense for the WIAC as it's likely one or two very capable teams will be left out. 

On the flipside, the MIAC wouldn't be an automatic 2-bid league anymore. And WIAC+UST would be a bloodbath on an annual basis (even moreso than it already is in the WIAC). Truly week in week out. My dream would be for UST to move to WIAC (reasonable drives for some away games, solid matchups for home games) and schedule SJU and Bethel OOC.

MUC57

Quote from: 02 Warhawk on May 22, 2019, 12:59:08 PM
I find the whole situation sad. Can't compete with them.....boot them out.

Pathetic move by the MIAC. Huge black eye for them IMO.

I can hear the OAC laughing from here.

No one is laughing on the OAC board. The situation is too sad.  :'(
I'm old! I get mixed up and I forget things! Go Everybody! 🏈 ☠

palum

With all the talk about St. Thomas joining the WIAC it would leave the league with 9 teams which could cause scheduling problems especially after other schools start their conference play. Here is my solution. Have Parkside drop from D2 to D3 and with the money they now use for scholarships start a football program. Then split the WIAC into 2 divisions North and South
North
Eau Claire
River Falls
St. Thomas
Stevens Point
Stout
South
La Crosse
Oshkosh
Parkside
Platteville
Whitewater
Play each school in your division plus cross over games and one NC game. You could have a championship game or see if the NCAA would let each division winner in the playoffs. Or Superior could come back to the WIAC and restart football. I know this will never happen and it would cause some gender equity problems for Parkside if it were to start a football program. But this is what happens when after a 3day weekend I'm back at my office with nothing to do.

'95 Blugold

Quote from: palum on May 28, 2019, 11:58:56 AM
With all the talk about St. Thomas joining the WIAC it would leave the league with 9 teams which could cause scheduling problems especially after other schools start their conference play. Here is my solution. Have Parkside drop from D2 to D3 and with the money they now use for scholarships start a football program. Then split the WIAC into 2 divisions North and South
North
Eau Claire
River Falls
St. Thomas
Stevens Point
Stout
South
La Crosse
Oshkosh
Parkside
Platteville
Whitewater
Play each school in your division plus cross over games and one NC game. You could have a championship game or see if the NCAA would let each division winner in the playoffs. Or Superior could come back to the WIAC and restart football. I know this will never happen and it would cause some gender equity problems for Parkside if it were to start a football program. But this is what happens when after a 3day weekend I'm back at my office with nothing to do.

Instead, I'd almost rather try and convince St. Thomas to bring either St. John's or Bethel along, add them to the North along with St. Thomas and drop UWSP down in the South. Will be interesting to say the least how this thing all plays out. If St. Thomas wants to stay D3, they will need to hope the WIAC or ARC is willing to bring them in. Though, the source that I have has mentioned the AD's from the WIAC seem to be open to the idea, there does seem to be some concerns with the idea of bringing private school St. Thomas into a conference of all public schools. It may come down with how bad St. Thomas wants to keep their St. John's rivalry. They want it to keep it, they stay D3, otherwise they make a jump up to D2. Just my .02 worth.

badgerwarhawk

When has Parkside indicated any interest in 1. starting a football program and 2. dropping to D3? 

Both Hamline and Gustavus Adolphus, private schools, are members of the WIAC Womens Gymnastics Conference so I doubt that would be much of an issue. 
"Just think twice is my only advice."

'95 Blugold

Quote from: badgerwarhawk on May 28, 2019, 02:03:05 PM
When has Parkside indicated any interest in 1. starting a football program and 2. dropping to D3? 

Both Hamline and Gustavus Adolphus, private schools, are members of the WIAC Womens Gymnastics Conference so I doubt that would be much of an issue.

I think being charter members in an isolated sport is different than a full blown membership. I think the support is there, but there may be (emphasis on may be) some concern since with a private school as they do not have to adhere to the strict interpretations of Title IX requirements the rest of the state public schools have to adhere to. I don't know the in's and out's of Title IX requirements, so I don't know what that would mean, just that it was shared with me. As far as St. Thomas and the competitive balance they would bring to the conference, after some research and loosely based opinion forming here is what I came up with.

MEN"S SPORTS

FOOTBALL - Very Good program that would strengthen an already strong D3 conference. Would definitely be a more difficult road from them to make the post season than the MIAC. Sure Bethel squeezed them out this year, but is it repeatable? The WIAC would be one tough gauntlet of a season to go through, and I think would most likely end up with a 2nd place 2 loss teams. Anyone with more knowledge than me on the playoff selection process, but how many 2 loss teams get an at large bid? Adding St. Thomas would alleviate the current need for WIAC teams to find 3 OOC teams to schedule.

CROSS COUNTRY - Pretty Good add to the conference. Finished 30th out of 32 teams at Nationals with WIAC teams EC & Stout finishing ahead of them.

BASKETBALL - Very Strong Add, Beat SP, RF & LaCrosse this past season. Made it to D3 Sweet 16.

HOCKEY - Biggest benefit to WIAC here than any other. Gives the WIAC 6 teams and an automatic bid to the conference champion, which doesn't necessarily happen now. Could pave the road for WIAC to get 2 bids instead of just 1 for post season play.

BASEBALL - Fair add, Nothing really gained or lost here.

TRACK & FIELD - Nothing really added here. Recently finished 31st at Nationals, 1 point ahead of Stout. 5 other WIAC teams finished ahead of them including my Blugolds who took home the National Champioinship.

TENNIS - WIAC currently has 3 teams I believe playing as charter members with a conference out East. Not sure adding a forth team to the WIAC does anything here.

SWIMMING seems to be an ok add, and GOLF I did not loo at.

WOMEN'S SPORTS

I feel we gain more here from a competition standpoint.

CROSS COUNTRY - OK Add, no real added benefit or loss.

VOLLEYBALL - good add, split with a handful of WIAC teams during the regular season and lost to UWEC in the Midwest Regionals.

SOCCER - Good Add, Beat 3 WIAC teams during regular season before losing rematch via shoot out to UWL in the NCAA Second Round

BASKETBALL - Great Add, advanced to D3 semifinals

HOCKEY - Great Add, Played in NCAA D3 Frozen Four

SOFTBALL - Very Good Add, Defeated UWEC in Regional to advance to NCAA D3 National Tournament, #1 seed, but lost first 2 games.

SWIMMING & TRACK both seem to be OK. No real upgrade or downgrade.

Did not look at Tennis or Golf.

Feel free to add your thoughts.