Around the East board (ideas, comments, etc.)

Started by dewcrew88, September 16, 2009, 03:42:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pg04

Understood... What you wrote about is actually much more important . 

maxpower

Hey man, I'm feeling critical so forgive me but:

Faggiano is getting the Pioneers to Alfred's level? I don't like that statement made without justification. Which would probably need a whole other column.

And:

Utica is first in the Empire 8 in pass defense and total defense, so it could be a battle.

If Utica's rank in defense hasn't made a difference (i.e. a win) against any other E8 team, why would it make a difference against Alfred?

Also:

QuoteDoes Delaware Valley, if they can get past a disappointing Widener team, they would be 9-1 and undefeated in the MAC at 7-0.

QuoteUtica is getting better, but unfortunately, the Pioneers aren’t up to Alfred level just yet.

QuoteMontclair had the tough test of beating Rowan on the road, but they did in a close 14-7 contest.

I think you need a copy editor.

EDIT: I didn't mean to come off quite as harsh as this sounds. It's late. I guess my main point is the homerism still gets to me a bit. I don't think it's something you can't control, either.

union89

Quote from: dewcrew88 on November 10, 2009, 10:43:00 PM
Sorry about the whiff on Cortaca. I didn't put a lot in the Shoes game this year either. More important games.

Union & RPI alums aren't little bitches.....In Cortica if both teams suck....they suck.

Pat Coleman

I usually do copy editing but I had to run this afternoon -- dashed the column up before heading to the airport after business meetings for my day job. Guess I need to go back now.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

dewcrew88

Quote from: Pat Coleman on November 11, 2009, 12:21:54 AM
I usually do copy editing but I had to run this afternoon -- dashed the column up before heading to the airport after business meetings for my day job. Guess I need to go back now.

I'm usually pretty good at self-editing... I missed a couple this time  :-\

bomber3

Quote from: pg04 on November 10, 2009, 08:10:08 PM
Quote from: bomber3 on November 10, 2009, 06:53:53 PM
Quote from: dlippiel on November 10, 2009, 06:31:14 PM
Quote from: bomber3 on November 10, 2009, 05:46:33 PM
Cmon dew! No mention of cortaca in around the east this week?! I know there are no ncaa playoff implications at stake but its undoubtedly the biggest game in the east region each year - playoffs excluded. How bout a prediction on the board?

Union/RPI may have something to say about that being the oldest rivalry in NYS. Cortica is huge and a great rivalry for sure. Yet this year, with both teams being down, as well as many other games with huge playoff implications, dlip can see how DC didn't hit it in his ATE. dlip is going for Ithaca in this match-up. Like he has said before he is a big Grastorf fan and would love to see the kid go out on top.

I never said anything about oldest.  For comparison's sake the Union/RPI game this year had an attendance of 3239.  Cortaca will draw close to 4x that.  Show me another game in the east that draws half of what cortaca game.  It might not be the most important game playoff wise but in terms of attendance and impact on the schools its close to being the biggest game in the region each year.

What does the Williams-Amherst game pull every year? 

Last year Amherst/Williams had an attendance of 7326 and Cortaca drew 10300.  The year before @ Ithaca they still had 9700 before selling out.  That's over 40% more.....I do understand that a good chunk of those are drunk students who could care less.  But still....

theoriginalupstate

Quote from: bomber3 on November 11, 2009, 08:41:21 AM
Cmon dew! No mention of cortaca in around the east this week?! I know there are no ncaa playoff implications at stake but its undoubtedly the biggest game in the east region each year - playoffs excluded. How bout a prediction on the board?

Union/RPI may have something to say about that being the oldest rivalry in NYS. Cortica is huge and a great rivalry for sure. Yet this year, with both teams being down, as well as many other games with huge playoff implications, dlip can see how DC didn't hit it in his ATE. dlip is going for Ithaca in this match-up. Like he has said before he is a big Grastorf fan and would love to see the kid go out on top.

I never said anything about oldest.  For comparison's sake the Union/RPI game this year had an attendance of 3239.  Cortaca will draw close to 4x that.  Show me another game in the east that draws half of what cortaca game.  It might not be the most important game playoff wise but in terms of attendance and impact on the schools its close to being the biggest game in the region each year.

Last year Amherst/Williams had an attendance of 7326 and Cortaca drew 10300.  The year before @ Ithaca they still had 9700 before selling out.  That's over 40% more.....I do understand that a good chunk of those are drunk students who could care less.  But still....

You asked for one game that drew half of what Cortaca does and we gave you two...

bomber3

Quote from: Upstate on November 11, 2009, 08:47:45 AM
Quote from: bomber3 on November 11, 2009, 08:41:21 AM

You asked for one game that drew half of what Cortaca does and we gave you two...

My apologies for not clarifying the east region as the conferences the ATE column covers.  Amherst/Williams are under the Around the Northeast column and, not to beat a dead horse, but was covered in this week's ATNE column (yes I know there are playoff implications).  So with the UR/Fisher game's attendance @ 5400 and Cortaca 10300 last year, that's pretty close to being double.  We'll call it a draw  ;)

AUKaz00

DC, I hate you!  Why couldn't you have been more of a homer and picked the Moose to win?!?  If Fisher wins the E6, I will hold you to blame!!!
Check out the official card game of the AU Pep Band - Str8 Eight!

dewcrew88

I'm back and I'm back big! The new season of Division III football is starting and you need to be along for the ride.

The first column is out, take a look at my top 10 games in the region for 2010!

Also, follow me on Twitter! @d3fbEAST is where to go to follow throughout the season.

http://www.d3football.com/columns/around-the-region/east/2010

PBR...

Quote from: dewcrew88 on September 01, 2010, 05:58:20 PM
I'm back and I'm back big! The new season of Division III football is starting and you need to be along for the ride.

Also, follow me on Twitter! @d3fbEAST is where to go to follow throughout the season.

good stuff!  bring it on i am ready!!! dvc has a bunch of tough games this year in and out of conference, so it should be a blast watching their progress

dlippiel

Nice start Adam ATE is clearly dlip's favorite written part of this web-site week in and week out! dlip can't wait to head out to Butterfield on the 11th when the Dutchmen meet the Bombers!

TheGrove

I got all excited about this and then remembered... Susquehanna's no longer in the East. Oops.  :( <scurries off to Around the Mid-Atlantic>

labart96

It's our loss Grove - the Crusaders brought a lot to the LL.  Good luck in the CC - it's a great conference.

DC88 - nice overview.  I agree on your game picks, especially the SJF v. Hobart Saturday night lights game on 9/25.

Maybe you can join us on ITH later this year to discuss the East Region in general?

pumkinattack

Yeah, it was a good balanced job.  And no mention of Utica!

For the Bart-SJF game, it should also be mentioned that this wicked sweet band is going to be playing at (not on) the (new) Boz before the game.  I heard they're the next Pearl Jam (in the 90's, when Eddie Vedder had energy and cared about tearing it up).