FB: Ohio Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:05:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ExTartanPlayer

Quote from: emma17 on July 25, 2014, 12:21:54 PM
Quote from: bceagle80 on July 25, 2014, 10:33:52 AM
As I said in an earlier comment, I believe they address the size issue. The key is to have big men who are strong, athletic, quick and can use their hands well on both sides of the line.

I'm sure nearly every team at every level looks to bring in strong, fast, athletic, quick guys that can use their hands. No doubt Mt tries to do that every year.

I chuckled at this (the original bolded comment) because of a memory from a couple years back...as a rising senior, I remember hosting a recruit (one of those super-intense-wannabe kids who put on a really tough attitude, but it was more of a facade than something he actually believed: the kid quit the team after his sophomore year) who told me that the key to good offensive line play was having phenomenal athletes that were big and could use their hands.  Duh.  Thanks for the tutorial, kid.

Having big men who are strong, athletic, quick, and skilled is obviously something every team wants.  However, when the other team also has big men who are strong, athletic, quick, and skilled, then we have a real contest on our hands.
I was small but made up for it by being slow...

http://athletics.cmu.edu/sports/fball/2011-12/releases/20120629a4jaxa

bceagle80

Quote from: 02 Warhawk on July 25, 2014, 08:14:23 AM
Quote from: bceagle80 on July 24, 2014, 09:05:56 PM
Quote from: Dr. Acula on July 24, 2014, 10:27:21 AM
Well, that's certainly the million dollar question.  They have to, HAVE TO get much better play from the D line.  The O line I thought was serviceable by the end of the year, especially given Burke's ability to escape trouble.  They need to improve too if you're lining across from UWW, but it's the D line that needs significant improvement before you can even think about that.   

What were the main issues last year with the d-line? Was it against the run or the pass where they were mostly deficient against the top competition? Was loss of contain a problem? Pass coverage by defensive ends? Pass rush by the whole line. Were there serious deficiencies once the 2nd team came in?

Seems like they lacked a little size on both of their lines.

As I said in an earlier comment, I believe they address the size issue. The key is to have big men who are strong, athletic, quick and can use their hands well on both sides of the line.

I'm sure nearly every team at every level looks to bring in strong, fast, athletic, quick guys that can use their hands. No doubt Mt tries to do that every year. With some 200 guys on the roster, it's hard to believe Mt doesn't have above average D Line guys.
As I only saw Mt play NCC (snow bowl) and UWW - my opinion is limited. After watching the film many times- I remain surprised at the lack of adjustments made on the front. UWW made it clear pretty early on that Mt's D line wasn't going to win straight up. That D Line needed help from the LB's and DB's to cause chaos at the LOS and it rarely got any.

It's my experience that it is hard to find a kid who has everything. If they are big and strong, they are not as fast. If they are fast, they are not as big and so on. Where the difference is made is what techniques they use and there ability to adjust themselves to the players they are dealing with in each game and sometimes from play to play. Do you think they used stunts much or did they play pretty much straight up and maybe flexed their alignment?

bceagle80

Quote from: HScoach on July 25, 2014, 12:34:03 PM
In my less than humble opinion, the DE's were completely non-existent.   Fetchko was fine at DT and Lally OK too at DT, though I liked him more as a lean freshman DE than a bulky sophomore DT.   But the DE's brought nothing the entire season which eliminated rush lanes for the DT's.

Who are the guys who played the most at DE last year? Which ones are coming back and now have more experience? I know Ted Roslava is coming back and at the game against Baldwin Wallace, he seemed to play well although the d-lineman I noticed was Matt Fechko.

I think the answer to stepping up the DE position is by doing more stunts and blitzes. When a big OT  doesn't know how many or who is coming off the edge, he can not prepare himself to handle just one. If you only have a DE and the OT's team is passing mostly, the OT will cheat out or in a little to hide any deficiency he might have.

bceagle80

Quote from: ExTartanPlayer on July 25, 2014, 01:52:08 PM

I'm sure nearly every team at every level looks to bring in strong, fast, athletic, quick guys that can use their hands. No doubt Mt tries to do that every year.

I chuckled at this (the original bolded comment) because of a memory from a couple years back...as a rising senior, I remember hosting a recruit (one of those super-intense-wannabe kids who put on a really tough attitude, but it was more of a facade than something he actually believed: the kid quit the team after his sophomore year) who told me that the key to good offensive line play was having phenomenal athletes that were big and could use their hands.  Duh.  Thanks for the tutorial, kid.

Having big men who are strong, athletic, quick, and skilled is obviously something every team wants.  However, when the other team also has big men who are strong, athletic, quick, and skilled, then we have a real contest on our hands.

I think you hit on one of the reasons why Mount Union had an issue with the last few games last year. Guys on both UMU and UW-W both wanted to win, both teams cared deeply about the game and worked hard to excel. It is the mix of experience, athleticism and raw ability combined with technique that can set you apart from other team when all else is equal (size, strength, condition, etc.).

emma17

Well I have zero doubt that Mt's D Line will be significantly improved this season. Too much talent w the players and coaching staff for it to be anything but.

When does camp begin for the Purple Raiders?

Knight Raider

Quote from: emma17 on July 25, 2014, 06:36:51 PM
Well I have zero doubt that Mt's D Line will be significantly improved this season. Too much talent w the players and coaching staff for it to be anything but.

August 13.
I agree with you that the D-line will be fine next year.
I think a strong, full back size D- lineman with speed is better than a big belly.
He will get in the backfield quicker and disrupt the QB. 

bceagle80

Quote from: Knight Raider on July 25, 2014, 07:07:38 PM

August 13.
I think a strong, full back size D- lineman with speed is better than a big belly.

August 13.

Just because someone is has size does not mean a big belly. In the pros, think Ndamakong Suh. For a 300 pounder, he has a small belly. How about a big (6' 1", 265 lbs), Strong (Bench: 300 lbs., squat 515 lbs.), with a 38" waist, quick (5.0 in 40) with a great defensive mindset for DT? What about a  DE or LB who is big (6' 0", 265 lbs.), Incredibly strong (Bench: 455 lbs., Squat: 605 lbs., very quick (4.7 in 40)? Both are coming in this year. The truth is that you need both people: smaller, quicker DL and bigger bodies.

When my son competed in D1 camps last year as well as NUC Ultimate 100, he was going against DEs that were high motor guys who were very fast (when he went on the OL side). Most of the d-line recruits are between 245 lbs.  and 265 lbs. this year. They are bigger than most D3 FBs. The smaller ones have very good speed. To take on the OL of UW-W and other top caliber teams, you need people with the physical attributes to do so. I do not see most (not necessarily all) 225 lbs to 235 lbs. DTs being able to handle 300 lb. OL. If the OL is quick and big, you can't argue mass. I played D1 football and was a lineman at 235 lbs. so I know directly what you are taking about regarding the quickness. In those days, I just could not get any bigger than 240 on my "best" day.

VK has what he needs between the new recruits and the current team members to have a better d-line this year. On that, you, I, and emma17 agree.

Knight Raider

Quote from: bceagle80 on July 26, 2014, 09:12:51 AM

August 13.

August 13.

Just because someone is has size does not mean a big belly....The truth is that you need both people: smaller, quicker DL and bigger bodies.
I agree 100%.  I was not specifically talking about MU. From my experience D1 fullbacks tend to weigh around 230-250 lbs.
So I think we are in the same weight range.  IMO heavier players are not as quick and if they are they are, they are playing D1 football. What I probably disagree with you is thinking that the freshman class will play a prominent role on the line next year and that all their posted stats are legit (or we have an Aaron Donald on our team).   

Knight Raider

Quote from: bceagle80 on July 26, 2014, 09:12:51 AM

August 13.

August 13.

What about a  DE or LB who is big (6' 0", 265 lbs.), Incredibly strong (Bench: 455 lbs., Squat: 605 lbs., very quick (4.7 in 40)?

From my previous note, I was skeptical since these stats are more consistent with an elite D1 player that was at the NFL combine this year.  I should not judge too quickly. Give me more information on him.  Do you know how many years he was varsity starter, what accolades he got (all region, all state, etc) and how many tackles/sacks?

bleedpurple

Quote from: Knight Raider on July 26, 2014, 01:00:56 PM
From my previous note, I was skeptical since these stats are more consistent with an elite D1 player that was at the NFL combine this year.  I should not judge too quickly. Give me more information on him.  Do you know how many years he was varsity starter, what accolades he got (all region, all state, etc) and how many tackles/sacks?

For whatever reason, I'm guessing he knows all those stats and more.  ;)

Purple Badger

Quote from: bleedpurple on July 26, 2014, 09:28:58 PM
Quote from: Knight Raider on July 26, 2014, 01:00:56 PM

For whatever reason, I'm guessing he knows all those stats and more.  ;)
I agree with you about bceagle80 knowing those stats and knowing more.  I looked at the profiles of all the D-line players on the previous lists and can't find anyone with those statistics.  The list maybe longer than we know.  I know coach will make the choices necessary to field the best team.  Needless to say I am excited about another year of football and beating UWW again.

bleedpurple

Quote from: Purple Badger on July 26, 2014, 09:52:03 PM
Needless to say I am excited about another year of football and beating UWW again.

Well, both teams have a lot of work to do and challenges to overcome before another UWW/Mount game comes to pass.  I think everyone is getting excited for some football, though!

Raider 68

Quote from: bleedpurple on July 26, 2014, 10:08:48 PM
Quote from: Purple Badger on July 26, 2014, 09:52:03 PM
Needless to say I am excited about another year of football and beating UWW again.

Well, both teams have a lot of work to do and challenges to overcome before another UWW/Mount game comes to pass.  I think everyone is getting excited for some football, though!

bleedpurple, I agree, but it is great that everyone is talking football! :)
13 time Division III National Champions

emma17

Just thinking- How fun and beneficial would it be if Mt and UWW scheduled a JV game against each other every season?

grunion-run

Quote from: emma17 on July 27, 2014, 01:00:16 PM
Just thinking- How fun and beneficial would it be if Mt and UWW scheduled a JV game against each other every season?

A Good idea emma but too costly and that is why UMU only schedules J V games in the Ohio area and play some teams twice.The varsity has been scrimmaging and defeating on a regular basis  Washington and Jefferson College [PA} for over 20 years.W.&J. in Washington PA. is like only  80 from Alliance Ohio.