FB: American Southwest Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:08:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Pat Coleman on February 20, 2018, 10:55:22 PM
Quote from: Ralph Turner on February 20, 2018, 10:26:04 PM
Quote from: crufootball on February 20, 2018, 08:09:07 PM
Any thoughts from the ETBU fans out there about the coaching change?

http://www.goetbutigers.com/news/2018/2/20/mayper-named-new-etbu-football-head-coach.aspx
A head coach in his mid-60's leaves for health reasons.  That is plausible.  Coaching can be physically taxing.

Coach Mumme, turning 66 this year, hanged it up. (He had prostate cancer in his last season at NMSU in 2008.)

Coach Fred is a different breed.

Hal Mumme is now offensive coordinator at Jackson State.
Thanks. I had forgotten that.

It will be interesting to see how he does at JSU.

crufootball

Quote from: wally_wabash on February 21, 2018, 10:11:23 AM
Quote from: crufootball on February 15, 2018, 05:40:20 PM
The UMHB athletic website now confirms that the Cru will kick off the season in Reading, PA playing Albright College which also confirms that we will only have 4 home games. Its going to be an interesting road as they start with 3 roads games, then 2 home games, then 2 roads games, then 2 home games and then end the regular season on the road.

Watching recruits hudl films is great but I say let the countdown begin, only 204 days till kickoff.

I will take the over on 4.5 home games for UMHB in 2018.

Haha I am way too paranoid to count my chickens at this point Wally.

roocru

Quote from: Ralph Turner on February 20, 2018, 10:26:04 PM

http://www.goetbutigers.com/news/2018/2/20/mayper-named-new-etbu-football-head-coach.aspx
A head coach in his mid-60's leaves for health reasons.  That is plausible.  Coaching can be physically taxing.

Coach Mumme, turning 66 this year, hanged it up. (He had prostate cancer in his last season at NMSU in 2008.)

Coach Fred is a different breed.

The health problem belongs to his wife who has been quite ill.
Anything that you ardently desire, vividly imagine, totally believe and enthusiastically pursue will inevitably come to pass !!!

jknezek

Warren Thompson

Quote from: jknezek on February 22, 2018, 11:40:09 AM
This isn't a good look. Be interesting to see how it plays out...

https://sports.yahoo.com/lawsuit-alleges-diii-louisiana-school-didnt-hire-coach-jewish-blood-152503851.html

Not a "good look," indeed. If the allegations are true, something really smells at this venue.

jknezek

Quote from: Warren Thompson on February 22, 2018, 11:59:45 AM
Quote from: jknezek on February 22, 2018, 11:40:09 AM
This isn't a good look. Be interesting to see how it plays out...

https://sports.yahoo.com/lawsuit-alleges-diii-louisiana-school-didnt-hire-coach-jewish-blood-152503851.html

Not a "good look," indeed. If the allegations are true, something really smells at this venue.

Which is a big and hard to prove "IF". I'm guessing this gets settled out of court. LC isn't going to want the publicity...

Ron Boerger

I'm not a fan but this looks like a "gotta hire someone quick" - guy has bounced around and was coaching HS for a year after being out of coaching for a year or two altogether, one year "professional" coaching (did YOU know Serbia had a professional American football league?).   

Kelly Boggs

UMHB alumnus and proud supporter of The CRU. "UP with the PURPLE!" 

"If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, we'd all have a merry Christmas." - Darrell Royal

"Never make excuses. Your friends don't need them and your foes won't believe them." John Wooden

jknezek

I'm not sure pointing out a "Jews for Jesus" event is the way to go here. That's really an extremely small and fringe group in Judiasm and not really recognized. To lump that in as a support for Jewish culture shows a fair amount of ignorance. It's somewhat equivalent to a Jewish school inviting an Amish speaker as being representative of modern Christians.

That being said, this seems absolutely like a he said she said kind of case, and if they want to fight it probably stand a good chance of coming out unscathed except by the publicity. And I doubt the publicity would really hurt a small, Christian school on LA.  The people going to La. Col aren't exactly the demographic most concerned by perceptions of religious inclusivity.

formerd3db

Quote from: jknezek on February 24, 2018, 06:06:16 AM
I'm not sure pointing out a "Jews for Jesus" event is the way to go here. That's really an extremely small and fringe group in Judiasm and not really recognized. To lump that in as a support for Jewish culture shows a fair amount of ignorance. It's somewhat equivalent to a Jewish school inviting an Amish speaker as being representative of modern Christians.

That being said, this seems absolutely like a he said she said kind of case, and if they want to fight it probably stand a good chance of coming out unscathed except by the publicity. And I doubt the publicity would really hurt a small, Christian school on LA.  The people going to La. Col aren't exactly the demographic most concerned by perceptions of religious inclusivity.

Aside from this controversial lawsuit, it is interesting to see that Louisiana College is going to play Div I Alcorn State this year.  Should be exciting for the team (although they got pasted by Alcorn State back in 2014).
"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

umhb2001

Looking forward to seeing the final roster for UMHB this fall. Lots of rumblings...We'll see how it plays out.

The recruiting trail has appeared to focus on lineman. I've seen several lineman, both offensively and defensively, declaring their intent to play for The Cru. One newpaper article I saw had a recruit saying that he chose HSU over UMHB because UMHB recruited him from a stance of "all we do is win...winning is what we do". Hmmm, hard to argue with. Guess he doesn't like to hear from winners.

Several WR's have posted their intent to play for UMHB as well. We do have some guys that are about to leave, so reloading there is nice.

RB has also been a focal point. Several good looking recruits coming in as well.

I suspect a few more will show up as we get to the end of the school year, and perhaps a few more transfers as well. Should be fun.
Watch out for the wreckingCRU defense!!

umhb2001

It is becoming harder and harder for teams in the ASC to fill their non conference regular season game. Is there anything that keeps a division 3 team from playing a full conference schedule and then having a conference championship?

This seems like a much more viable option, in my limited knowledge of the situation, than trying to find that 1 game that may or may not be against a team that may or may not increase your SOS or your RRO.

Or, could two conferences agree to have their top teams play each other at the very end? Like a three year agreement? Or they could play at the beginning of the next season?

This would be interesting to see.
Watch out for the wreckingCRU defense!!

Ralph Turner

Quote from: umhb2001 on March 04, 2018, 04:22:16 PM
It is becoming harder and harder for teams in the ASC to fill their non conference regular season game. Is there anything that keeps a division 3 team from playing a full conference schedule and then having a conference championship?

This seems like a much more viable option, in my limited knowledge of the situation, than trying to find that 1 game that may or may not be against a team that may or may not increase your SOS or your RRO.

Or, could two conferences agree to have their top teams play each other at the very end? Like a three year agreement? Or they could play at the beginning of the next season?

This would be interesting to see.
Respectfully, I imagine there are crocodile tears hitting the keyboards as other posters read your lament. There are 9 other teams in the conference who would trade places with you for your predicament and your Walnut and Bronze.

The 8-9 other teams in the conference are looking for an opponent who will be nearby and who will be a competitive matchup.

UMHB is looking for a non-conference opponent who will help lock up home field advantage through the semis.

The Midwest Conference has a playoff among the divisions each year.  They play games during the first 10 weeks with the division champs playing in week #11. I cannot imagine another conference wanting to cut its season short by one game so it could pit its best team against a team that is likely to go 3 rounds (at the least, e.g.,  HSU, TLU, ETBU or UMHB) in the post-season. You were fortunate to have SRSU move its game to the first weekend so Linfield could play you later in Sept. 2017.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: Ralph Turner on March 04, 2018, 04:40:53 PM

The Midwest Conference has a playoff among the divisions each year.  They play games during the first 10 weeks with the division champs playing in week #11. I cannot imagine another conference wanting to cut its season short by one game so it could pit its best team against a team that is likely to go 3 rounds (at the least, e.g.,  HSU, TLU, ETBU or UMHB) in the post-season. You were fortunate to have SRSU move its game to the first weekend so Linfield could play you later in Sept. 2017.

The MWC doesn't cut its season short -- as a 12-team conference, they are permitted to play an 11th game as a conference championship.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Pat Coleman on March 04, 2018, 05:37:48 PM
Quote from: Ralph Turner on March 04, 2018, 04:40:53 PM

The MWC doesn't cut its season short -- as a 12-team conference, they are permitted to play an 11th game as a conference championship.
Thanks for being more specific. What I thought that he was asking was for the ASC and another conference to finish the regular season in the 1st ten weeks of the season, and then have the respective champions play in the 11th week, or have another 10-team conference play a challenge week in Week #11, #1 play #1, #2 play #2, etc.