BB: General NY Region Talk

Started by Bob Maxwell, October 18, 2007, 02:03:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who will represent the New York Region in the Division III Baseball World Series?

SUNY Cortland
7 (43.8%)
Ithaca
0 (0%)
Stevens
1 (6.3%)
Rochester
2 (12.5%)
Non-Region Team
6 (37.5%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Bob Maxwell

I would like to see that reginal too... but unless someone other then Cortland wins the SUNYAC, I can't see 2 SUNYAC teams getting in.  Thought it may have happened last year... but it didn't.

Also, John... correction, Brockport only beat SJF once, the second game ended 8-8 due to darkness.

Agree about Cazanovia... but that is one of the things that the automatic qualifiers does.  A team must  be able to beat its conference opponents... yes, many of those teams get in, but exit quickly.  BUt there competition to get in is in their conference.

I like this time of year...

onthed3board

Agreed that NY makes for an exciting regional just trying to figure out who will possibly get thrown in to the mix from out of state.

That Ithaca-Caz score was one game, 37-11, three years ago.  Caz had the lead 8-4 in the 3rd and Ithaca ran up the score after that.

Obviously a different team but probably not a factor in the Regional this year.

Big Louie

at this point its probably too tough to figure out who might get thrown in to the mix from out of state...but after this weekend we may have a better idea on who may be joining the NY regional

scuba16

Quote from: onthed3board on April 30, 2008, 09:40:07 AM
Agreed that NY makes for an exciting regional just trying to figure out who will possibly get thrown in to the mix from out of state.

I don't think anyone should get thrown in from out of state. IMO, If you are not good enough to make your own regional you should not get in.

Obviously Caz is a greatly improved team, kudos to them for the hard work and improvement.
In sports it's not how you start, its how you finish!

BaseB13

I believe New England has an excessive amount of teams which is why they ship one out to New York.  I didn't realize the NEAC has an automatic qualifier this year.. That is unfortunate.  NY will most likely get a 7 team regional again this year.  (The amount of bids is the same as last year I'm assuming, or has this changed?)  I suppose I'm still a fan of the 2005 format when less teams made it.  That made the NCAA tournament much more prestigous than it is now.  It's much more watered down.

John McGraw

Quote from: scuba16 on April 30, 2008, 10:26:49 AM

I don't think anyone should get thrown in from out of state. IMO, If you are not good enough to make your own regional you should not get in.

Obviously Caz is a greatly improved team, kudos to them for the hard work and improvement.

But, when you have seven automatic bid conferences in New England and the Mid-Atlantic, and there's an upset, chances are, the extra team gets moved into New York. That's just the logistics of it. The New York region according to the NCAA handbook has 37 teams (including 11 Pool B), eight of them should not go to the NCAA tournament. If New York was stronger nationally then I'd agree with you, but a New York team hasn't won the national championship since Ithaca in 1988

John McGraw

Quote from: BaseB13 on April 30, 2008, 11:35:42 AM
I believe New England has an excessive amount of teams which is why they ship one out to New York.  I didn't realize the NEAC has an automatic qualifier this year.. That is unfortunate.  NY will most likely get a 7 team regional again this year.  (The amount of bids is the same as last year I'm assuming, or has this changed?)  I suppose I'm still a fan of the 2005 format when less teams made it.  That made the NCAA tournament much more prestigous than it is now.  It's much more watered down.

This year, it's either a six-team or eight-team regional, no more seven team pods.

Bob Maxwell

Thanks goodness for that... 7 is a very awkward number.

And yes, we will start to see the picture clear up after this weekend when the SUNYAC tournament is played.  I think that is the only conference tournament this week... is that correct?

John McGraw

In upstate NY, no, it's not.

The NEAC tournament will also be played this weekend over at Cazenovia. From what I gather on the NEAC site, it will be Cazenovia, Keystone, Penn State-Berks and Keuka. The winner will more than likely be headed to the Auburn, NY, regional. Though, if it's Penn State, I'm not sure they're a full Division III member so one of the other three could get the bid.

The Skyline tournament also is this weekend downstate. The regional rankings favorite would be St. Joseph's (L.I.) They'll be the two seed and play either Polytech or Mt. St. Vincent on Friday. The title game is on Sunday at SUNY Farmingdale.

And then the Liberty League tournament is next weekend, though if RPI wants to keep their at-large hopes alive, they need to play well against local-rival Skidmore this weekend.

scuba16

Quote from: John McGraw on April 30, 2008, 11:40:49 AM
Quote from: scuba16 on April 30, 2008, 10:26:49 AM

If New York was stronger nationally then I'd agree with you, but a New York team hasn't won the national championship since Ithaca in 1988

John I couldn't disagree with you more. Winning a NC has got nothing to do with the strength of individual regions. There have been plenty of teams good enough to win the NC from the NY region since 1988 and the bounces just haven't bounced their way.
For example last year, Cortland gets beat by Kean in extras, but a phantom runner interference call on a bunt in the bottom of the 9th, score tied, erased what would have been 2nd and 3rd w/ no outs and cortland 3-4-5 coming up with 3 chances to win it. Kean goes on to win the NC and somehow the Mid-Atlantic is such a better region than NY. Doubt it.

Not saying Cortland would have won but they had a heck of a pitching staff and if they didn't have to play thru the losers bracket, they would have been a tough out for anyone with a fresh staff.

WrongArm

Quote from: John McGraw on April 30, 2008, 01:10:44 PM
IThe NEAC tournament will also be played this weekend over at Cazenovia. From what I gather on the NEAC site, it will be Cazenovia, Keystone, Penn State-Berks and Keuka.

John,
The Cazenovia site says the NEAC games will be played in Rome at Delutis field. Cazenovia put an impressive record together this year, but has lost its three tune-up games this week... one to Cortland  and two yesterday to Utica. Maybe not the best way to to get ready for the conference tourney. We'll all know by next week.

BaseB13

How many teams will be making the NCAA tournament field this year?  How many made it last year?  53?  It was 42 in 2005 correct? 

NY Region baseball is not  bad by any means but top to bottom New England and the Mid-Atlantic are probably deeper (because of more teams).  New York should not have 8 teams in the NY Regional. 

AlleyCat

John,
I agree with you totally. RPI has had a little slide but a good weekend against Skidmore and they are right back in the picture for an at large. 3 of 4 will make them 30-10 and 26-9 in region. Like I said before I think this year the Liberty League has 2 quality teams that deserve a bid.

Cortland -  on fire
U of R
RPI
Ithaca - lost 2 of last 3
NEAC
Down state team

would be a good regional!! Add St John Fisher and a New England team and it could be really fun!

Big Louie

what has St John Fisher done to deserve a spot in the regionals??? Id rather see the SUNYAC runner up get in before fisher does, Oneonta and Brockport each had there way with them this yr

scuba16

Quote from: BaseB13 on May 01, 2008, 10:56:52 AM
NY Region baseball is not  bad by any means but top to bottom New England and the Mid-Atlantic are probably deeper (because of more teams).  

I'll give you the top 5-6 teams in the Mid-Atlantic and the top 4 in New England as being good teams, but the rest of the teams in the regional rankings are not very good.
http://ncaa.com/rankings/default.aspx?id=212508

Are top 3 always can play with anyone in the nation, Cortland, IC and RPI.

Brockport, Oneonta, U of R, SJF would beat the bottom half of the regional rankings from the Mid-Atlantic and New England just as much as they get beat. So why ship teams to NY?

After the elite teams in D-3, the mid level of the rest of the field is dead even. Take a mediocre team from NE and send them to NY just because there are more teams in NE. Thats ridiculous!

It was proposterous 2-3 yrs ago when they shipped ECONN to NY. They were good enough to beat a loaded cortland team and represent NY in the WS but not good enough to make the NE regional. POLITICS