FB: Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:19:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Retired Old Rat

Quote from: johnnie_esq on November 20, 2012, 08:00:41 PM
Just my initial thought, but my impression of the makeup of the committee is that it is tailor made for Gary Fasching to be the guy.

I agree.  I would liked to have seen more outside the Pine Curtain.  I would assume that would lead to greater willingness to consider outside candidates.  (Note:  I'm a big Gary Fasching fan.)  Also find it curious and strange that Tom Stock is the "committee secretary."  That implies, at least to me, that he's not a decision making member.  Hope I'm reading that wrong.

Should be interesting.

National Champions: 1963, 1965, 1976, 2003

Retired Old Rat

A.  Uptick, but not a river.  Going to be needed.  The program without John will need more $$'s.  More fulltime coaches.
B.  Doesn't matter
C.  Less likely to be left intact with an internal candidate.
D.  Announce that A. J. Barker is transferring in.

sjusection105

Quote from: Retired Old Rat on November 20, 2012, 08:36:06 PM
D.  Announce that A. J. Barker is transferring in.

That is a brilliant way to get that "pipeline" from DeLaSalle running to Collegeville  ;)
As of now they're on DOUBLE SECRET Probation!

faunch

Quote from: sfury on November 20, 2012, 07:23:00 PM
Most of the committee is set.

http://www.sctimesinteractive.com/blogs/the-day-after-sju-football-tuesday-update/

It's been so long since SJU had to do this: Do they still use the black and white smoke signals when a new coach is chosen?

Black smoke coming from the Abbey will indicate a coach has not been hired.
Red smoke coming from the Abbey will indicate a coach has been hired.

"I'm a uniter...not a divider."

johnnie_esq

My response, 105)

A.)  Depends on who the coach is.  I would wager that Mike Grant would mean more $$$ than, say, Fasching.  Not sure if and how Ramler would rank in that either.
B.) Given the recent history, I would assume a current staff member would not get the same optimism.  Were John to have retired 10 years ago, the reverse would be true.
C.) Not sure. I think if we move to fill time assistants like UST, we may need to do major restructuring.
D.) Be present at every HS and informal alumni function in the Twin Cities.  I think most alums believe the internal candidates group is too isolated and insulated within Central MN.  To compete in the next 10 years, you need to motivate the Twin Cities alumni, and you are only going to do that by being seriously visible in the Twin Cities.  So instead of just showing up at the Prep Bowl and hanging with Eden Prairie, you better show up to Armstrong and Anoka and White Bear Lake and East Ridge and Burnsville HS, even if there aren't kids we're looking at-- so the neighborhood word gets around.  You have to rebuild the alumni trust from the ground up- which means showing up at happy hours and neighborhood gatherings. 

It's not that SJU is in trouble, but that it needs to take on UST on its home turf without having laid a foundation-- and your unmatched leverage over UST just retired.  You aren't going to do that without using the other things that we are good at-- a very strong alumni affinity, for example-- to build the goodwill and get the word out.  And that's not going to happen if alumni don't feel connected.
SJU Champions 2003 NCAA D3, 1976 NCAA D3, 1965 NAIA, 1963 NAIA; SJU 2nd Place 2000 NCAA D3; SJU MIAC Champions 2018, 2014, 2009, 2008, 2006, 2005, 2003, 2002, 2001, 1999, 1998, 1996, 1995, 1994, 1993, 1991, 1989, 1985, 1982, 1979, 1977, 1976, 1975, 1974, 1971, 1965, 1963, 1962, 1953, 1938, 1936, 1935, 1932

Redtooth

Yesterday was a day I hoped I would never see or experience....I can't begin to thank John or his family for all the wonderful memories during my time as a player, play by play guy and coach.  The sacrifice the Gagliardi family made for all of us former Johnnies should never be underestimated. 

On the topic of next coach/process for selection/committee.... Obviously several outstanding coaches will jump into the mix and I know a number of them.  Changing coaches is no guarantee for immediate success in any football program and I am concerned that the "internal" administrators have no concept of how narrow the margin is in college football.  Ask anyone affiliated with the University of Montana football program how the 2012 season went after a coaching change.

In looking at the committee roster I am stunned at how little football expertise there is; 3 former players and 1 current assistant, with the balance made up of college administrators with ZERO experience in either understanding football or selecting a football coach for one of the premier programs in the country.  I realize this is the usual process in academia but I doubt it has ever been used to select a great football coach.  In FBS/FCS the AD would have a short list of candidates that would have been visited within the last 24 hours and would have a strong idea of a top candidate already.  The AD and likely the President/Chancellor would meet with that candidate and offer/negotiate the contract.....no committees, no drama, no unqualified opinions, just the best new coach available based on football credentials and qualifications.

I guarantee this process would not be used at Mount Union, UWW, UST.....

johnnie_esq

Quote from: Redtooth on November 20, 2012, 09:27:54 PM

In looking at the committee roster I am stunned at how little football expertise there is; 3 former players and 1 current assistant, with the balance made up of college administrators with ZERO experience in either understanding football or selecting a football coach for one of the premier programs in the country.  I realize this is the usual process in academia but I doubt it has ever been used to select a great football coach.  In FBS/FCS the AD would have a short list of candidates that would have been visited within the last 24 hours and would have a strong idea of a top candidate already.  The AD and likely the President/Chancellor would meet with that candidate and offer/negotiate the contract.....no committees, no drama, no unqualified opinions, just the best new coach available based on football credentials and qualifications.

I guarantee this process would not be used at Mount Union, UWW, UST.....

I agree with your observation-- and it tells me there must be some group behind the scenes that will be maneuvering the results.  Not sure who that power broker will be, though.  Not exactly sure why IA needs to be involved either-- rather have another football guy there myself.

Then again, putting it in perspective-- John was hired after meeting with a few monks who only cared about beating Gustavus and St. Thomas-- so it has been done before-- just 60 years before!

SJU Champions 2003 NCAA D3, 1976 NCAA D3, 1965 NAIA, 1963 NAIA; SJU 2nd Place 2000 NCAA D3; SJU MIAC Champions 2018, 2014, 2009, 2008, 2006, 2005, 2003, 2002, 2001, 1999, 1998, 1996, 1995, 1994, 1993, 1991, 1989, 1985, 1982, 1979, 1977, 1976, 1975, 1974, 1971, 1965, 1963, 1962, 1953, 1938, 1936, 1935, 1932

Tom Thumb

Whoever the next coach is, I think SJU alums need to be mindful of the fact that it may take a solid 2-4 years before the Johnnies are competing for the conference championship again.  Society wants a quick fix these days, but if the SJU administration is serious about its football program they will have to contribute the requisite resources and strategically plan for the future.  Hiring the right coach is certainly important, but it takes more than just one guy to turn a program around.  The thing I respect the most about Glenn Caruso is that he'll be the first person to tell you that he's not the only person to thank for UST's success.  At the end of the day, it comes down to having the right people in the right places all working together towards a common goal.  I believe SJU's next hurdle will be getting everyone on the same page and having blind faith in a new system.  Should be interesting to watch. 

faunch

Quote from: DuffMan on November 20, 2012, 07:51:08 PM
I don't think being a Catholic is required.
Job posting

Kurt Ramler is the only possible candiate w/ direct SJU connections that meets every qualification listed.

sju#57

As a former player, I think the top canidate would be Mike.  Not only did I have the privilage to play for him, but also got to play with Jimmy.  Back then we only had 4 coaches. John, Mike, Jerry and John Elton(former head wrestling coach).  John and Mike handled the O and Jerry and John handled the D.  My gut feelings are telling me that if Mike got the job, Jimmy would be out, which I think should have been done along time ago..The Alumni would love it and maybe dispell some of the fears of a current coach who was part of the latest downfall being stuck in the same rut.  Also, who knows the TC HS scene better than Mike? He's working on his 8th state title this Fri.  Had a conversation with another former player who spoke with Mike a couple of yrs back about if he could adjust from HS to D3...his reply was "it would be alot less work." Right now he is the Head coach, plus has I think 3(?) jv teams and is also the athletic coordinator, so all he would have to worry about at SJU would be coaching. I have nothing against Gary, I just think Mike would handle the pressure better of stepping into Johns shoes having lived in his fathers shadow all these years. IDK, maybe I'm a little biased, but whoever gets the job I wish them luck...
"Make sure the juice is worth the squeeze."

faunch

Quote from: sju#57 on November 21, 2012, 12:47:44 AM
As a former player, I think the top canidate would be Mike.  Not only did I have the privilage to play for him, but also got to play with Jimmy.  Back then we only had 4 coaches. John, Mike, Jerry and John Elton(former head wrestling coach).  John and Mike handled the O and Jerry and John handled the D.  My gut feelings are telling me that if Mike got the job, Jimmy would be out, which I think should have been done along time ago..The Alumni would love it and maybe dispell some of the fears of a current coach who was part of the latest downfall being stuck in the same rut.  Also, who knows the TC HS scene better than Mike? He's working on his 8th state title this Fri.  Had a conversation with another former player who spoke with Mike a couple of yrs back about if he could adjust from HS to D3...his reply was "it would be alot less work." Right now he is the Head coach, plus has I think 3(?) jv teams and is also the athletic coordinator, so all he would have to worry about at SJU would be coaching. I have nothing against Gary, I just think Mike would handle the pressure better of stepping into Johns shoes having lived in his fathers shadow all these years. IDK, maybe I'm a little biased, but whoever gets the job I wish them luck...

I think we need a coach that is prepared to put in a lot of work.

sju#57

Faunch, I was trying to insunuate(sp) that Mike wouldn't, pretty sure he puts in a ton of work at EP, it's just that he would be able to focus that energy on one thing.....I don't think he would take this job lightly in the fact that he has alot of pride in being a Johnnie and alot of respect for the job John has done and would want to take the program back to being a perenial power....just my opinion, I could be wrong as I haven't spoken to Mike in a couple of yrs or been around him on a daily basis, but my prior experience with him is he wouldn't slack off.
"Make sure the juice is worth the squeeze."

sjusection105

Quote from: faunch on November 21, 2012, 12:44:19 AM
Quote from: DuffMan on November 20, 2012, 07:51:08 PM
I don't think being a Catholic is required.
Job posting

Kurt Ramler is the only possible candiate w/ direct SJU connections that meets every qualification listed.
Does anyone know what he has been doing for the past year? I did see he was a coach for the All-America Bowl in Mexico City in August 2012,but other than that I have not been able to find anything via Google searches.

Is it possible the university doesn't want too much change as in -not replacing the assistant coaches? I know that's a weird question but is it possible?
As of now they're on DOUBLE SECRET Probation!

DuffMan

Quote from: sjusection105 on November 21, 2012, 05:34:12 AM
Does anyone know what he has been doing for the past year?

No, he's really been under the radar since leaving Carleton.  He was mentioned in Rajkowski's SJU chat yesterday, so I think Frank will hunt him down for questioning.  ;D

A tradition unrivaled...
MIAC Champions: 1932, 1935, 1936, 1938, 1953, 1962, 1963, 1965, 1971, 1974, 1975, 1976, 1977, 1979, 1982, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2021, 2022

sfury

Quote from: sju#57 on November 21, 2012, 01:47:42 AM
Faunch, I was trying to insunuate(sp) that Mike wouldn't, pretty sure he puts in a ton of work at EP, it's just that he would be able to focus that energy on one thing.....I don't think he would take this job lightly in the fact that he has alot of pride in being a Johnnie and alot of respect for the job John has done and would want to take the program back to being a perenial power....just my opinion, I could be wrong as I haven't spoken to Mike in a couple of yrs or been around him on a daily basis, but my prior experience with him is he wouldn't slack off.

Yeah I read that comment about work more in the spirit of Gagliardi's when he took over St. John's and spoke about how happy he was that he wouldn't be coaching everything like he did at Carroll, although they did eventually add hockey.