Pool C 2018

Started by bluestreak66, October 14, 2018, 02:30:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob.Gregg

Ithaca might be the East team on the board being discussed, but barring a collapse, can't be an at-large selection....numbers just won't work.
Been wrong before.  Will be wrong again.

bluestreak66

Quote from: MonroviaCat on November 08, 2018, 03:51:58 PM
Quote from: bluestreak66 on November 08, 2018, 02:47:39 PM
Quote from: MonroviaCat on November 08, 2018, 09:46:17 AM
Quote from: MANDGSU on November 07, 2018, 02:03:16 PM
http://d3football.com/playoffs/2018/second-regional-ranking

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/football/d3/regional-rankings
Any changes on thoughts about who gets in with the new rankings?

Based on how the teams sit now, I think the order would be Bethel, John Carroll, Centre, Hardin Simmons, and then 1 of Mulhenburg, Wabash, or possibly Ithaca
Ithaca seems like a longshot--with 2 losses and no wins against RRO (if they beat Cortland this week then Cortland probably isn't ranked in the final rankings)....

I agree with that. Their only advantage is that they might be on the table the whole time, so they have 5 shots to be taken
A.M.D.G.
Whose House? STREAKS' HOUSE!

RIP MUC57- "Go everybody!"

2018 CCIW PICK EM'S CHAMPION
2018 & 2019 ODAC POSTSEASON PICK EM'S CHAMPION
2019 OAC POSTSEASON PICK EM'S CHAMPION

MonroviaCat

Quote from: Bob.Gregg on November 08, 2018, 03:59:46 PM
Ithaca might be the East team on the board being discussed, but barring a collapse, can't be an at-large selection....numbers just won't work.
exactly--at that point they are probably comparing to Muhlenberg, Linfield, and Wabash.  Of those 3---Muhlenberg still probably gets the nod....
Go Cats!

Oline89

Based on how the teams sit now, I think the order would be Bethel, John Carroll, Centre, Hardin Simmons, and then 1 of Mulhenburg, Wabash, or possibly Ithaca

Isn't Wabash in line to get the Pool A bid?

wally_wabash

Quote from: Bob.Gregg on November 08, 2018, 03:59:46 PM

Can't is pretty strong.  Illinois Wesleyan can't get in.  Ithaca...maybe? 

Right now, I agree that Ithaca is on the wrong side of the bubble, but if they are the first and only team on the board from the East, they certainly have a chance to go in on that fourth or fifth vote. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

wally_wabash

Quote from: Oline89 on November 08, 2018, 04:03:46 PM

Sadly no, but maybe we can speak it into existence.   :)
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

MonroviaCat

Quote from: Oline89 on November 08, 2018, 04:03:46 PM

They need Dennison to lose....against an 0-9 team
Go Cats!

Bob.Gregg

Wally, with two losses, what, shy of a collapse from Muhlenberg, CWRU, and possibly others, would put Ithaca in ahead of these teams with better records and some with better SOS and RRO results?
Been wrong before.  Will be wrong again.

wally_wabash

Quote from: Bob.Gregg on November 08, 2018, 05:59:05 PM
Wally, with two losses, what, shy of a collapse from Muhlenberg, CWRU, and possibly others, would put Ithaca in ahead of these teams with better records and some with better SOS and RRO results?

If Ithaca is part of the conversation from the start, and they stay part of the conversation for an hour or two hours or however long it takes the committee to get their five C teams, then that's a lot of time for the committee to come around on the Bombers.  Depending on how the conversation is framed around their results vs. E1 and E3, depending on where Ithaca's SOS sits relative to other teams on the board...

Again, I'm in agreement that I think Ithaca's profile falls just short.  But if they are in fact the top East at-large Saturday night and then we do see them in the field on Sunday, I wouldn't be blown away.  I think I've seen stranger things at the tail end of the selection process than Ithaca getting picked this weekend. 

edward de vere

If the winner of the St. Thomas/Bethel game is the first or second Pool C choice, why wouldn't the LOSER of that same game be the fourth or fifth choice if - IF - the game is very close?

bluestreak66

Quote from: edward de vere on November 08, 2018, 10:32:24 PM
If the winner of the St. Thomas/Bethel game is the first or second Pool C choice, why wouldn't the LOSER of that same game be the fourth or fifth choice if - IF - the game is very close?
Possibly. But for that, they would have to remain above Linfield, and since St. Thomas is already below them, it's hard to envision a loss bumping them above Lin.
A.M.D.G.
Whose House? STREAKS' HOUSE!

RIP MUC57- "Go everybody!"

2018 CCIW PICK EM'S CHAMPION
2018 & 2019 ODAC POSTSEASON PICK EM'S CHAMPION
2019 OAC POSTSEASON PICK EM'S CHAMPION

bleedpurple

Quote from: bluestreak66 on November 08, 2018, 10:41:51 PM
Possibly. But for that, they would have to remain above Linfield, and since St. Thomas is already below them, it's hard to envision a loss bumping them above Lin.
I agree. It seems like the presence of Linfield between them is a pretty strong signal that the St. Thomas/Bethel game is tantamount to a play-in game.

bluenote

Thx for all you support! Linfield may squeak in depending on the outcomes a few matches.... Never count out the WildCats!!

MRMIKESMITH

If this was Div 1 FBS, those quality losses count for a lot.

MonroviaCat

Quote from: MANDGSU on November 09, 2018, 07:35:53 AM

If this was Div 1 FBS, those quality losses count for a lot.
But thankfully, this is not Div 1 FBS! :) :) :)
Go Cats!