FB: Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:19:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wif

I had originally tried to view this situation with some perspective - certain MIAC schools weren't comfortable with the direction, mission and scope of UST as an institution and felt they had outgrown the MIAC. That could be viewed as a reasonable assessment of the situation, although one I don't fully agree with. My jaw about hit my computer desk when I read the MIAC statement - this situation was apparently all about "competitive balance" on the playing field - from their own statement. If there is more to it than that, they haven't done themselves any favors by not sharing those other factors.

Also troubling is that it has been reported that UST involuntarily withdrew, without the by-laws regarding enrollment being changed or a vote being taken (which sounds like a mafia type form of governance - "we have enough to bury you, do the right thing and take yourself out"). Given how this unfolded, the door has been left wide open for similar pressure to be put on other programs that could be viewed as upsetting the desired competitive balance in the future. "You better aspire to be mediocre and play nice, or else".

I hadn't really appreciated the fundamental change this represents to the culture of the once proud MIAC until today. Welcome to UMAC 2.

jamtod

Quote from: wif on May 22, 2019, 11:00:42 PM
I had originally tried to view this situation with some perspective - certain MIAC schools weren't comfortable with the direction, mission and scope of UST as an institution and felt they had outgrown the MIAC. That could be viewed as a reasonable assessment of the situation, although one I don't fully agree with. My jaw about hit my computer desk when I read the MIAC statement - this situation was apparently all about "competitive balance" on the playing field - from their own statement. If there is more to it than that, they haven't done themselves any favors by not sharing those other factors.

Also troubling is that it has been reported that UST involuntarily withdrew, without the by-laws regarding enrollment being changed or a vote being taken (which sounds like a mafia type form of governance - "we have enough to bury you, do the right thing and take yourself out"). Given how this unfolded, the door has been left wide open for similar pressure to be put on other programs that could be viewed as upsetting the desired competitive balance in the future. "You better aspire to be mediocre and play nice, or else".

I hadn't really appreciated the fundamental change this represents to the culture of the once proud MIAC until today. Welcome to UMAC 2.

I propose that they amend the bylaws to specify precisely what level of athletic success is deemed acceptable so that future schools know when to scale back the success levels to mediocrity for a bit to avoid the chopping block. Ya know, all for the sake of transparency which is a pretty important ideal in higher ed, right?

edward de vere

Quote from: jamtoTommie on May 22, 2019, 10:47:48 PM

I'm still looking for somebody to do a rewrite of American Pie focused around the hook "The day the MIAC died."

I'll buy a Hamms beer at the UST-STO November 2nd tailgate for the most successful rendition.

If somebody rewrites that opus, man up and buy him a case.  Crikies!  It's a long song.

FCGrizzliesGrad

Just some random fantasies about future possibilities that won't happen but is fun to throw out there...

Is there any possibility that this causes one of the schools against this move to jump ship? Certainly they'd have to have a place already willing to take them before they'd do it. Maybe as a travel partner with St Thomas if they can land in another D3 conference.
Or even more improbably, could a new conference be formed from a few MIAC schools unhappy with these events along with some others joining in from the ARC, UMAC, MWC, etc.

Quote from: sfury on May 22, 2019, 07:18:08 PMThat said, everyone's welcome here on the MIAC board, and now that we'll be losing many of our Tommie brothers, we can use all the new blood we can get. So bone up on your beer knowledge and Aussie Rules football, since that's about all we'll have to talk about after 2021.
No clue about beer but I do enjoy AFL action.
Football picker extraordinaire
5 titles: CCIW, NJAC
4x: ODAC:S
3x: ASC, IIAC, MIAA:S, NACC:S, NCAC, OAC:P, Nat'l
2x: HCAC, MIAC, ODAC:P, WIAC
1x: Bracket, OAC:S

Basketball
2013 WIAC Pickem Co-champ
2015 Nat'l Pickem
2017: LEC and MIAA Pickem
2019: MIAA and WIAC Pickem

Soccer
2023: Mens Pickem

jamtod

Quote from: edward de vere on May 23, 2019, 12:22:28 AM
Quote from: jamtoTommie on May 22, 2019, 10:47:48 PM

I'm still looking for somebody to do a rewrite of American Pie focused around the hook "The day the MIAC died."

I'll buy a Hamms beer at the UST-STO November 2nd tailgate for the most successful rendition.

If somebody rewrites that opus, man up and buy him a case.  Crikies!  It's a long song.

Maybe just a short portion of the song, no need for all 11 (?) minutes worth

Quote from: FCGrizzliesGrad on May 23, 2019, 01:00:53 AM
Just some random fantasies about future possibilities that won't happen but is fun to throw out there...

Is there any possibility that this causes one of the schools against this move to jump ship? Certainly they'd have to have a place already willing to take them before they'd do it. Maybe as a travel partner with St Thomas if they can land in another D3 conference.
Or even more improbably, could a new conference be formed from a few MIAC schools unhappy with these events along with some others joining in from the ARC, UMAC, MWC, etc.

I saw an indication from a current UST student that some other schools are prepared to jump out of the conference with us. No idea how plugged in that person would be, but I have my doubts and it certainly wouldn't happen without them having a locked down landing spot and we are pretty far from that.

57Johnnie

The story made Golic and Wingo today.
They ridiculed  the outcome and the secrecy.
The older the violin - the sweeter the music!

Ralph Turner

Well, it is clear now.  The MIAC schools need to do a real assessment of the strengths of the offerings to the students in participating in events at the schools in the MIAC.

With respect to choirs, no D3 school should have a choir as good as St Olaf's. Getting to perform a Christmas Festival on PBS ranks up there with Peter, Paul & Mary documentaries or an Eagles' PBS "Great Performances".

Kick them out.

faunch

Has this been shared on this thread? It's the entire MIAC Press Release.
https://d2o2figo6ddd0g.cloudfront.net/b/z/199ggq8je5pzq2/MIAC_Membership_Supplemental_Information.pdf

"I'm a uniter...not a divider."

DuffMan

Quote"We have had to navigate some challenging conversations with respect to membership over the last several years. After extensive
discussions, the Presidents' Council determined that there was no path forward that preserved the MIAC in its current form. For that
reason, we have come to this agreement. Throughout this process, our goal has been to preserve the MIAC as a well-respected
Division III athletic conference for the sake of our more than 7,000 student-athletes. Supporting the experiences and well-being of
those student-athletes will continue to be our primary focus moving forward."

-Rebecca Bergman, currently serving as Chair of MIAC Presidents' Council (President, Gustavus Adolphus College)

::)

I think that went out the window when you booted a member for athletic success.

A tradition unrivaled...
MIAC Champions: 1932, 1935, 1936, 1938, 1953, 1962, 1963, 1965, 1971, 1974, 1975, 1976, 1977, 1979, 1982, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2021, 2022
National Champions: 1963, 1965, 1976, 2003

DuffMan

To the rumors that Mac wants to return when U$T leaves:  When Mac quit playing MIAC football, U$T was medicore.  Mac would/will still get throttled by the likes of SJU, Bethel, Concordia, and likely GAC.

A tradition unrivaled...
MIAC Champions: 1932, 1935, 1936, 1938, 1953, 1962, 1963, 1965, 1971, 1974, 1975, 1976, 1977, 1979, 1982, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2021, 2022
National Champions: 1963, 1965, 1976, 2003

art76

Quote from: DuffMan on May 23, 2019, 09:35:06 AM
To the rumors that Mac wants to return when U$T leaves:  When Mac quit playing MIAC football, U$T was medicore.  Mac would/will still get throttled by the likes of SJU, Bethel, Concordia, and likely GAC.

If the MIAC starts wooing a replacement other than MAC, what would be compelling to that team being wooed to join the MIAC?
You don't have a soul. You are a soul.
You have a body. - C.S. Lewis

TheChucker

Quote from: faunch on May 23, 2019, 09:20:35 AM
https://d2o2figo6ddd0g.cloudfront.net/b/z/199ggq8je5pzq2/MIAC_Membership_Supplemental_Information.pdf

Thank you for the link. That's a lot more information than the brief press release yesterday.

Interesting that SJU is the only constant member of the conference since inception.

02 Warhawk

I see this is getting national attention. It's one of the Top Headlines on ESPN.com right now. It was even discussed on the Golic and Wingo show as well this morning.

I don't think the D3 national championship gets this much attention. Bummer it takes a negative story to bring D3 football into this sort of spotlight.

jamtod

Quote from: TheChucker on May 23, 2019, 09:46:43 AM
Quote from: faunch on May 23, 2019, 09:20:35 AM

Thank you for the link. That's a lot more information than the brief press release yesterday.

Interesting that SJU is the only constant member of the conference since inception.
I found that interesting too. UST/CST was only gone for a very short blip. I might try to find the backstory on that later.

Bombers798891

Quote from: Gregory Sager on May 22, 2019, 12:58:05 PM
n?
To be honest, I can't think of another D3 league that has an all-sports competition history that's this lopsided in favor of one school. But I'll be honest -- I may be overlooking one.

Pat, can you think of another D3 league that has an all-sports competition history that's more lopsided in favor of one school than this, especially over the last decade and a half?

Ithaca won 17 straight E8 Commissioner's cups, a streak that was stopped only by their move to the LL