BB: 2013 Regionals (Mideast)

Started by Ralph Turner, May 12, 2013, 11:32:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

motorman

Quote from: hasbeen123 on May 17, 2013, 09:53:53 PM
The opportunity came along last year and Manchester ran out of pitching and was a deer in headlights against the all mighty Etta Express.  They should at least be able to out slug anyone this year if that's the case again.  Now that the mental block of playing Marietta is out of the way, they should be in a better state of mind going into tomorrow.

Don't be surprised if we see Murphy again at some point.  His arm apparently doesn't get fatigued, ever.

38-5-1(2-0 in the OAC) ain't bad.... even against the worst teams in the country.

Not 2-0 in the OAC, more like 3-2. Guess you forgot about the only team to beat them twice, Heidelberg of the OAC.

hasbeen123

Touche.  Heidelberg was early and those two games were one run losses that could've gone either way.

So is it better to beat the mediocre teams on your schedule or lose to good teams on your schedule?

SOS is overrated, that's all I'm saying.  You can't control how poorly the teams in your conference are in any particular year.  Historically, Anderson, Franklin, and RHIT have been 25-30 win teams....  it was just a down year for the HCAC aside from Manchester's dominance.

mideastfan2

Quote from: hasbeen123 on May 18, 2013, 08:31:20 AM
Touche.  Heidelberg was early and those two games were one run losses that could've gone either way.

So is it better to beat the mediocre teams on your schedule or lose to good teams on your schedule?

SOS is overrated, that's all I'm saying.  You can't control how poorly the teams in your conference are in any particular year.  Historically, Anderson, Franklin, and RHIT have been 25-30 win teams....  it was just a down year for the HCAC aside from Manchester's dominance.

In this case SOS is overrated because Manchester is a very good team, but in the majority of cases SOS, combined with a team's winning record through that schedule, is a good indicator of how good they are.

There are exceptions to everything, and Manchester is obviously an exception when it comes to SOS this year because they played such a bad schedule, but dominated...and probably would've done extremely well against a good schedule.

forheavendial4999

Hasbeen is acting like Manchester got slighted because of SOS. They were the top seed. There's no gripe here.

forheavendial4999

Marietta eliminates Washington & Jefferson, 6-2.

Gotta give it up for W&J, they played well on short rest and no doubt tired legs after 28 innings yesterday. Marietta really took advantage of most of the opportunities they got. W&J pitcher Baird was very good in his first start of the year.

Marietta ace Jason Byers went the full 9 and now has allowed 3 runs in 17 innings with 2 wins in the regional.

Manchester has 2 to win 1 and go to Appleton...Marietta needs to win to make it to Sunday. Stop me if you've heard this before.

forheavendial4999

I guess they made it legal this year to stand in the strike zone? If a pitch hits a guy in the strike zone, it's supposed to be a strike.

Pretty hard to pitch when you can't use the inner half because you'll hit the guy.

forheavendial4999

Never seen guys actually allowed to stand close enough to the plate to be out of the batter's box. Ridiculous.

forheavendial4999

7-5 Manchester with Murphy coming on to close...stop me if you've heard this before.

forheavendial4999

Talk about unlucky. Toth hits a screamer that turns into a lineout double play, Hopper narrowly misses a double down the line, and McCoy is out by an eyelash at first to end the inning.

What can you say...that's baseball.

mideastfan2

looks like Marietta will have to wait until next year, didnt quite have the pitching depth this year..great season and Congrats to the seniors on a great career. Two national titles and 4 regional championship games...well done, welcome to the fraternity!!

Best of luck to Manchester in Appleton! Great team and a great chance to win it...
enjoy the ride.

forheavendial4999

Congrats to Manchester. Bryce Murphy has to be MVP...he did absolutely everything on the mound and at the plate.

Outstanding year for Marietta considering all they lost from last year. Most of the innings they got in the regional were from guys that were not college pitchers last year (either freshmen or Brockmeier who rarely pitched). Hopefully Toth and Grilliot get their deserved rewards at the All-American banquet and Grilliot and Brockmeier could be Academic All-Americans.

hasbeen123

Bryce Murphy is a beast.

Manchester should be a top 4 seed in Appleton. 

Great season.  Coach Espeset has made this program elite (by Indiana baseball standards).

Even sweeter beating the mighty Express for the regional title.

forheavendial4999

Quote from: hasbeen123 on May 18, 2013, 05:43:03 PM
Bryce Murphy is a beast.

Manchester should be a top 4 seed in Appleton. 

There are no seeds. Manchester will play Stevens Point in I believe the 3rd game of the first day.

ScotsFan

Congrats to Manchester for winning the regional and good luck in Appleton!  Do the Mideast Region proud!

Bishopleftiesdad

I would like to also congratulate Manchester for winning the regional. On to Appleton. Good luck the rest of the way.