MBB: University Athletic Association

Started by Allen M. Karon, February 21, 2005, 08:19:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregory Sager

Well, hopefan is sui generis as far as d3boards.com rooms are concerned. The SLIAC room gets next to no posting activity apart from him; for the past two decades he's been pretty much the author of every other post in that room. As a result, I think that when he still lived in St. Louis and used to go to SLIAC games he was treated like the basketball-fan version of Elvis. ;)

But, similar to Tom's experience with that UWSP fan in Salem, I have had people come up to me pretty regularly at CCIW sporting events over the years to tell me that they read my posts. My goal is to get the proportion of my public response closer to Jay Murry's in terms of people introducing themselves to me and telling me that they listen to me as opposed to telling me that they read me. ;)
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

WUPHF

Elvis is about right.

As I mentioned, it happened twice.

And, I only see him once or twice a year.

I used to know players, but have not in 3-4 seasons.  I hope nobody recognizes me.

Quote from: Gregory Sager on October 18, 2018, 02:10:01 PM
My goal is to get the proportion of my public response closer to Jay Murry's in terms of people introducing themselves to me and telling me that they listen to me as opposed to telling me that they read me.

At a minimum, you'll have to come closer to the Jay Murry ratio of broadcasts to posts for that to happen.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: WUPHF on October 18, 2018, 02:21:30 PM
Quote from: Gregory Sager on October 18, 2018, 02:10:01 PM
My goal is to get the proportion of my public response closer to Jay Murry's in terms of people introducing themselves to me and telling me that they listen to me as opposed to telling me that they read me.

At a minimum, you'll have to come closer to the Jay Murry ratio of broadcasts to posts for that to happen.

Alas, you're probably right -- although I've been encouraged by the response I get regarding the sports that I broadcast that have little or no presence on d3boards.com (women's soccer, women's volleyball, and softball, and I hope that starting this year men's volleyball will be the same). That sounds egotistic, but to me it's really more about the knowledge that people are using the school's webstreaming service to watch games and matches whenever they're unable to attend them live.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

WUPHF

Quote from: Gregory Sager on October 18, 2018, 02:29:40 PM
That sounds egotistic, but to me it's really more about the knowledge that people are using the school's webstreaming service to watch games and matches whenever they're unable to attend them live.

That is how I read it...no one can blame you for wanting people to utilize the webstream.  Have you ever surveyed viewers?

Gregory Sager

Do you mean an actual survey attempting to gauge reactions from users, or a simple headcount of viewers via software counter?

bballjunkie15

Quote from: WUPHF on October 16, 2018, 02:50:06 PM
I did pick Justin Hardy for my fantasy team.

I actually think that if Hardy proves to be a good pick, he will drive the fantasy numbers for Matt Nester too (assists and shooting), potentially making the latter a good choice.

If one wanted to give a first-year a try, UChicago has a freshman who holds two scholarship offers from two Division I programs: https://www.vermontacademy.org/page/news-detail?pk=1181590

Another breakout player to watch out for is Jr Zach Howarth at CMU... Was second in conference in PPG during UAA play last year... Tartans return a lot of key pieces...

Greek Tragedy

Quote from: bballjunkie15 on October 18, 2018, 06:57:14 PM
Quote from: WUPHF on October 16, 2018, 02:50:06 PM
I did pick Justin Hardy for my fantasy team.

I actually think that if Hardy proves to be a good pick, he will drive the fantasy numbers for Matt Nester too (assists and shooting), potentially making the latter a good choice.

If one wanted to give a first-year a try, UChicago has a freshman who holds two scholarship offers from two Division I programs: https://www.vermontacademy.org/page/news-detail?pk=1181590

Another breakout player to watch out for is Jr Zach Howarth at CMU... Was second in conference in PPG during UAA play last year... Tartans return a lot of key pieces...

I do have Howarth on my list. Hardly a "breakout" player though, when he was second in scoring in conference play!
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

WUPHF

Quote from: Gregory Sager on October 18, 2018, 03:30:33 PM
Do you mean an actual survey attempting to gauge reactions from users, or a simple headcount of viewers via software counter?

I was thinking a survey could tell you a lot of interesting things about who is watching and why they are watching, but interesting is probably not worth it in this case if the survey is seen as a hassle by the viewers.  Nevermind.

WUPHF

Quote from: bballjunkie15 on October 18, 2018, 06:57:14 PM

You are absolutely right about Howarth.

I forgot about him this week, but I did pick him for the one fantasy team I completed for this season.

My All-UAA Free Agent Team

Matt Davet, Emory
Gebereal Baitey, Emory
Ryan Clamage, Rochester
Jacob Wittig, Rochester
Matt Nester, Washington University
Jack Nolan, Washington University
Justin Hardy, Washington University
Jordan Baum, Chicago
Ryan Jacobsen, Chicago
Ignas Masiulionius, Case Western Reserve
Ethan Feldman, NYU
Dom Cristiano, NYU
Zach Howarth, Carnegie Mellon
Lawrence Sabir, Brandeis

Honorary Members
Bradley Jomard, MIT
Hamilton Forsythe, MIT

WUPHF

OK, because it is the preseason and I am a little bored, I'll say, it looks like we have 10 UAA fans. 

I forgot about ADL, but he'll be back if the Spartans continue to improve.

ADL70

I'm still here. Posted CWRU's schedule a few weeks back.  I'm now waiting for updated roster to be posted.  This season Spartan's will have no seniors. Only have TJ Duckett to replace, but that's a big hole to fill. 
SPARTANS...PREPARE FOR GLORY
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO
Think beyond the possible.
Compete, Win, Respect, Unite

WUPHF

Correction: he has been here all along. Thanks for posting.

bballjunkie15

Any EARLY predictions on finish this year? Here would be mine
1.Emory-lost a lot of productive seniors and I think they will miss Whitt Rapp a ton with how they play. BUT, Romin Williams along with rest of soph class I think will step up and be hard to stop on offensive end. Coach Z always gets it done and those guys play hard at a style that is unique to the League.

2.Rochester- Return everyone of significance and they LOCK up on the defensive end. Clamage one of the best natural scorers in the league and Wittig runs the show on offense. They struggle at times to make shots and don't have anyone who can just make a play on that end when offense breaks down. They will be in every single game this year and make run at winning league.

3. Wash U- Nolan is an absolute stud and will lead league in scoring this year. They have talented, yet unproven guys behind him. Nester will compliment him nicely and they may struggle early, but at end I think they will be in convo for league and NCAA berth.

4.CMU- Probably the team besides Rochester that returns the most production in the league. Howarth will battle Clamage, Nolan and Williams for scoring title. I think Tartans have very good depth and talent at the guard spots. If Ehland can show some signs of play from his UAA ROY season along with Suddeth, I think this is a good year for the Tartans.

5.CWRU- may surprise some, but while they lose duckett, they will get better defensively and have some dudes that can fill it up. Masiulionis, Nally, ionadi and Hansen can all shoot it from 3. Coach always gets them to play hard and I think they take a step forward this year.

6. Chicago- lose Barthel and Fenlon who led them in second half of UAA play last year. Hard to replace those two and the maroons just have not gotten it done past few years with more experience and talent than what they have this year on roster.

7. NYU- new coach, lose Udine, so will be a toss up this year. They have some offensive talent, but do they want to stop anyone this year?

8. Deis- Who knows what roster will even look like?

Any other thoughts from anyone?

uaaaficionado

Quote from: bballjunkie15 on October 19, 2018, 11:33:36 AM
Any EARLY predictions on finish this year? Here would be mine
1.Emory-lost a lot of productive seniors and I think they will miss Whitt Rapp a ton with how they play. BUT, Romin Williams along with rest of soph class I think will step up and be hard to stop on offensive end. Coach Z always gets it done and those guys play hard at a style that is unique to the League.

2.Rochester- Return everyone of significance and they LOCK up on the defensive end. Clamage one of the best natural scorers in the league and Wittig runs the show on offense. They struggle at times to make shots and don't have anyone who can just make a play on that end when offense breaks down. They will be in every single game this year and make run at winning league.

3. Wash U- Nolan is an absolute stud and will lead league in scoring this year. They have talented, yet unproven guys behind him. Nester will compliment him nicely and they may struggle early, but at end I think they will be in convo for league and NCAA berth.

4.CMU- Probably the team besides Rochester that returns the most production in the league. Howarth will battle Clamage, Nolan and Williams for scoring title. I think Tartans have very good depth and talent at the guard spots. If Ehland can show some signs of play from his UAA ROY season along with Suddeth, I think this is a good year for the Tartans.

5.CWRU- may surprise some, but while they lose duckett, they will get better defensively and have some dudes that can fill it up. Masiulionis, Nally, ionadi and Hansen can all shoot it from 3. Coach always gets them to play hard and I think they take a step forward this year.

6. Chicago- lose Barthel and Fenlon who led them in second half of UAA play last year. Hard to replace those two and the maroons just have not gotten it done past few years with more experience and talent than what they have this year on roster.

7. NYU- new coach, lose Udine, so will be a toss up this year. They have some offensive talent, but do they want to stop anyone this year?

8. Deis- Who knows what roster will even look like?

Any other thoughts from anyone?

Bballjunkie15, I completely agree with your predictions. Given the key returners which were previously mentioned in addition to three coaching changes (WashU, NYU, and Brandeis), here are my predictions for the UAA in the 2018-19 season:

1)   Emory (10-4)
2)   Rochester (9-5)
3)   WashU (8-6)
4)   Carnegie Mellon (7-7)
5)   Case Western (7-7)
6)   Chicago (6-8)
7)   NYU (6-8)
8)   Brandeis (3-11)

I say with complete confidence that Emory and Rochester will finish at the top of the league. (Hopefully we can have a repeat of the 2015-16 championship game at the end of the UAA season – this time in Atlanta instead of Rochester). WashU is a completely new team and I'm not entirely sure what to expect. Carnegie Mellon and Case Western both return plenty of talent from last year and will fare better in league play. I think Chicago is a top tier team in terms of talent, so I wouldn't be surprised if they take a game or two against the likes of Rochester and/or Emory (as seen in win vs. WashU last year). However, it's very hard to say if some of those guys will "show up" week in and week out enough to have a shot at the title. I find NYU to be a similar story in that they have plenty of talent on offense, but had by far the worst defense in the league last season. Time will tell if Nelson can change that. I'm optimistic that Bain can turn Brandeis around, but for now I have a hard time giving them more than three wins in this league.

First note, I think in this upcoming season we will see a lot more parity in the league that the last (In 2017-18, WashU & Emory finished a combined 25-3 in UAA play while NYU, Carnegie, and Brandeis combined for 9-33). I wouldn't be surprised to see some of the teams I've predicted to finish at the top drop a couple games to teams toward the bottom – which we saw none of in the UAA last season. It may only take 10 wins to win the entire league.

Second, I wouldn't be surprised to see if each of the three new head coaches, Juckem, Nelson, and Bain take some tough losses on the road in the UAA.  Given the demand of academics & rigorous travel of the UAA, it may prove to be an adjustment for all of them. Zimmerman, McGrath, Flockerzi, and Wingen have all been doing it in this league for over a decade. To note, McGuinness put together a 6-8 record in the UAA during his first season at Case Western in 2016-17.

Third, IMO the UAA Player of the Year should come from the #1 team. I think the most dominant players this season will be Romin Williams, Ryan Clamage, Jack Nolan, and Zach Howarth. Maybe throw Noah Karras, Gebereal Baitey, Jacob Wittig, and Ethan Feldman into the conversation. Unless any of the teams which I have listed between 4 and 8 can put together 9+ wins, either Williams, Clamage, or Nolan will take home player of the year.

Is anyone aware of the date when the UAA coaches poll will be released? Thoughts?

WUPHF

It has been a long time since anyone else had preseason predictions to offer.  Thanks guys...

A few random thoughts...

The coaches poll has been hard to predict over the last few years, but probably a few days before or after the start of the season.  If I remember correctly, two years ago, there was no coaches poll.

The league is going to be down, relative to the Division again next season (though what that means is subjective).  As an example, if you look at Massey, three seasons ago, the UAA had finished a streak of being the No. 1-3 league.  Two seasons ago, UAA was No. 7.  Last year, the UAA was No. 18.

As mentioned, there will be tremendous parity throughout...

Here are my preseason rankings from April, but I think I am moving NYU ahead of Carnegie Mellon.
4. Chicago
5. Case Western Reserve
6. Carnegie Mellon
7. NYU
8. Brandeis

It looks like we may have some disagreement on Chicago and Carnegie Mellon.

Chicago
Chicago is the last UAA team I want to hype (I buy in to the rivalries), but I think this team will be better than last season, relative to the league, but there are certainly no guarantees.  I do think Jacobsen and Sustacek are every bit as good as Barthel, though much respect to Barthel for his UAA second team senior campaign.  They may be the biggest team in the league. Fenlon also had a great senior campaign, but his graduation leaves more for Karras and Baum.  Chicago needs a player like Skoko and they got him.

Carnegie Mellon
I'll have to think a little more about Carnegie Mellon, but points well taken...  Let's keep this conversation going.

Emory
Baitey and Stuck (and occasionally Williams) will take over where Rapp left off.  I have to assume that Rowley and Davet will be a formidable front court, even if undersized, but I am not sure who takes over when they are off the court.

Rochester
I have Rochester at No. 2, but that may be my least confident pick.  They were 16-9 (7-7) last season with a team that had seen a lot of minutes from the prior year.  Not quite veteran status, but still...they were not competitive against Emory and Washington University last season.

I said last week that I think the unknowns are going to have a much bigger impact than with the last few seasons.  I think that is true even with a team like Rochester.