FB: American Southwest Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:08:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crufootball

Quote from: umhb2001 on December 01, 2019, 09:25:12 PM
Quote from: DFWCrufan on December 01, 2019, 04:55:23 PM
Quote from: CalCat on November 30, 2019, 09:25:39 PM
Quote from: UMHB03 on November 30, 2019, 03:42:57 PM
If the UMHB staff is ever planning on coming up with a cohrent gameplan on offense, this coming week is the time. The "playing not to lose" approach worked fine against vastly inferior foes in the first two rounds, but this strategy of bumbling around on offense until superior talent takes over won't get us beyond next week

You got that right...there aren't  any Redlands or Huntingdon left going forward.
I have the faith the Cru will adjust to what needs to be done. UWW is a very worthy opponent to have concerns about, we have had mixed results over the years, One close 1 point loss and a victory, but I'm still behind the Cru. We will see come Saturday, as we found out against HSU, it takes one.

And speaking about that, does anyone have any insight as to why during HSU the Cru were using boards to signal the plays, and no other time against any opposition this season they have done the same? Just...curious

I agree. They've made adjustments along the way. I would have liked to see our run game improve, but I guess the defense was loading the box. Did anyone notice this? I tried to spot this, but I never felt like the box was loaded. Perhaps they were "run blitzing"?

Anyways, I think our D is up to the challenge and that our O can do enough.

Coach seemed to indicate that in his post game press conference that they kept loading the box so they said keep throwing it until they do it differently.

Etchglow

Quote from: crufootball on December 01, 2019, 10:37:00 PM
If the UMHB staff is ever planning on coming up with a cohrent gameplan on offense, this coming week is the time. The "playing not to lose" approach worked fine against vastly inferior foes in the first two rounds, but this strategy of bumbling around on offense until superior talent takes over won't get us beyond next week

You got that right...there aren't  any Redlands or Huntingdon left going forward.

I thought they did a pretty dang good job of taking what the defense was giving them (unlike the Redlands game...).
I have the faith the Cru will adjust to what needs to be done. UWW is a very worthy opponent to have concerns about, we have had mixed results over the years, One close 1 point loss and a victory, but I'm still behind the Cru. We will see come Saturday, as we found out against HSU, it takes one.

And speaking about that, does anyone have any insight as to why during HSU the Cru were using boards to signal the plays, and no other time against any opposition this season they have done the same? Just...curious

I agree. They've made adjustments along the way. I would have liked to see our run game improve, but I guess the defense was loading the box. Did anyone notice this? I tried to spot this, but I never felt like the box was loaded. Perhaps they were "run blitzing"?

Coach seemed to indicate that in his post game press conference that they kept loading the box so they said keep throwing it until they do it differently.

DFWCrufan

I am on the road today, but can anyone confirm how many freshmen are on the current O line for the Cru?
9 Year Member of the CRU-Nation! UMHB National Champions 2016 and 2018

Etchglow

Quote from: DFWCrufan on December 02, 2019, 10:02:42 AM
I am on the road today, but can anyone confirm how many freshmen are on the current O line for the Cru?

2 deep shows 2. 

Russel Hogue at RT and Jacob Poston at LG.  Overall on the 2 deep, 5 of the offensive line are freshmen, 3 are sophomores, and 2 are juniors.

crufootball

Quote from: Etchglow on December 02, 2019, 10:27:23 AM
Quote from: DFWCrufan on December 02, 2019, 10:02:42 AM

2 deep shows 2. 

Russel Hogue at RT and Jacob Poston at LG.  Overall on the 2 deep, 5 of the offensive line are freshmen, 3 are sophomores, and 2 are juniors.

One of the freshmen starting is Jacob Poston who was pushed into service when DoRion Dreighton went down with injury. I thought I remembered that it was not a season ending injury but he has been out the last 4 games.

Ralph Turner

As an outsider looking at the UMHB depth of talent, I consider there are 4 strata of a talent on the UMHB roster after 12 games into the season.

1) All-conference and better

2) Veteran starter
2a) 20 or 21 years old after 2-3 years in the UMHB weight room
2b) 18-19 years old and now has 4-5 games as a starter

3a) 20-21 years old and has worked with the program, coming up thru the ranks
3b) 18 years old and talented. Good progress on the JV

4) Loyal kid on the JV who might contribute significantly at another program. Unfortunately, he doesn't appear on the playoff roster.

That being said, the freshmen on the 2-deep will be okay.  The system just cultivates excellence.

QB Jock Itch

Huntingdon (and some other 3/4 defenses) was shading to the inside of a slot or H-back and would end up walking into the box late thus "loading the box". But when we throw the WR screens to the outside, that's an outside running play of sorts. What's hurt us is the vision and setting up down field blocks to spring open a big play on those screens. As far a true running game from what I've seen is some of the RB just aren't seeing some of the holes. Which is what made Markeith so fun to watch his vision and setting up his blockers.

Moving into uww the margin of error drastically shrinks but I still believe in Coach Fred and Coach Lee to setup the offense to be successful. I scratched my head at some of the comments on here thinking that The Cru offense is supposed to put up 100's of points every week. Some years you have all the guys in place and some years like this you've got to fight through adversity and injuries (and we've had a ton this year). If you can remember the run from last year a lot of the same people on here was crying about the offense play calling, slow QB, etc... and at the end of the day that team had the #1 scoring offense and scored the most points for UMHB in a Stagg Bowl.

The fact remains the same Coach Fred is a defensive guy (and a very good one at that) and human nature is you always lean to what you know. So if y'all have to call it being conservative so be it as long as we go Back to Back so be it.

DFWCrufan

Quote from: QB Jock Itch on December 02, 2019, 01:59:46 PM
Huntingdon (and some other 3/4 defenses) was shading to the inside of a slot or H-back and would end up walking into the box late thus "loading the box". But when we throw the WR screens to the outside, that's an outside running play of sorts. What's hurt us is the vision and setting up down field blocks to spring open a big play on those screens. As far a true running game from what I've seen is some of the RB just aren't seeing some of the holes. Which is what made Markeith so fun to watch his vision and setting up his blockers.

Moving into uww the margin of error drastically shrinks but I still believe in Coach Fred and Coach Lee to setup the offense to be successful. I scratched my head at some of the comments on here thinking that The Cru offense is supposed to put up 100's of points every week. Some years you have all the guys in place and some years like this you've got to fight through adversity and injuries (and we've had a ton this year). If you can remember the run from last year a lot of the same people on here was crying about the offense play calling, slow QB, etc... and at the end of the day that team had the #1 scoring offense and scored the most points for UMHB in a Stagg Bowl.

The fact remains the same Coach Fred is a defensive guy (and a very good one at that) and human nature is you always lean to what you know. So if y'all have to call it being conservative so be it as long as we go Back to Back so be it.

I'd agree with that. I believe the one big scare was the HSU game. To me that is an anomaly, it happened, even seriously solid programs have days when things just don't work the right way and HSU was up, not saying they aren't a bad side, I think they deserve a better look as far as the division goes, but that is for another day. But some are hanging the Cru on that game and dismiss the rest of the season and now two playoff games. If the Cru were hurting that bad certainly it would come up in a game since.
The 2019 Cru is not the 2018 Cru or the 2016 Cru - this Cru is a "we'll get it done when we need to " kinda team. This is a loaded Cru with talent and the gel is their teamwork and integrity, if this is present then we will see a good solid Cru. UWW is a great challenge for UMHB, they are a talented side who knows how to play deep in the bracket, I believe it will once again be a good match.

Toby Taff

Some of us on this board have been watching UMHB football for a long time and remember Coach calling for a field goal late in the fourth qtr against UWW that wasn't enough points to give us the lead or tie and we lost. We also remember 2004 vs UMU when late in the 4th we stuck to the run first game plan and Walter Sharp makes the soul crushing TD catch in the snow that sent UMHB to it's first Stagg Bowl. Coach Fred's conservative offensive play calling is nothing new, but the thing that probably makes some of us tense up is that it used to be that the QB's were primarily running QBs who were ok at passing but everything was so run heavy the passing game was neglected. UMHB recruits a different type of player now and your boy can fling it, as can the other QB's and sometimes we just want to see the playbook opened up more in an unexpected situation. I am a fan of a bruising run game and I think there are some horses in the stable that will make that happen over the next few years, but I love watching our speed guys get down the field and having a QB that can hit them in stride. Jase to Jonell in the TLU game last year was one of the prettiest td passes I've ever seen. Now do we get greedy? Yes. we have become so accustomed to annihilating the competition that a 42 or 43 point output seems pedestrian sometimes. I have to remind myself those are legit numbers everywhere else and that defensive and special teams scores count, too.

Also, I was one that was somewhat critical of the week one performance, not because of the offensive out put. 3s count and Avila is a monster at kicker, but it just seemed something was off. Jase looked tentative when running, didn't seem to have his normal arm strength. The under throws didn't look intentional or caused, they looked like something was wrong. Last week, it was just the opposite. there was conviction when Jase ran the ball, solid plants when he hit the hole, and if anything seemed to have a little adrenaline flowing on a few of those passes. I think we can win it all. I have booked my hotel already. What's more is if we win it all this year, the pipeline is flush and there will be a good shot at a long run. I guess time will tell. Go Cru.
My wife and I are Alumni of both UMHB and HSU.  You think you are confused, my kids don't know which Purple and Gold team to pull for.

DFWCrufan

Oh I remember that one. we were seated right there on the end, also the great pass drop in the endzone that game. 1 point loss...

Etchglow

Quote from: Toby Taff on December 02, 2019, 05:23:34 PM

Some of us on this board have been watching UMHB football for a long time and remember Coach calling for a field goal late in the fourth qtr against UWW that wasn't enough points to give us the lead or tie and we lost. We also remember 2004 vs UMU when late in the 4th we stuck to the run first game plan and Walter Sharp makes the soul crushing TD catch in the snow that sent UMHB to it's first Stagg Bowl. Coach Fred's conservative offensive play calling is nothing new, but the thing that probably makes some of us tense up is that it used to be that the QB's were primarily running QBs who were ok at passing but everything was so run heavy the passing game was neglected. UMHB recruits a different type of player now and your boy can fling it, as can the other QB's and sometimes we just want to see the playbook opened up more in an unexpected situation. I am a fan of a bruising run game and I think there are some horses in the stable that will make that happen over the next few years, but I love watching our speed guys get down the field and having a QB that can hit them in stride. Jase to Jonell in the TLU game last year was one of the prettiest td passes I've ever seen. Now do we get greedy? Yes. we have become so accustomed to annihilating the competition that a 42 or 43 point output seems pedestrian sometimes. I have to remind myself those are legit numbers everywhere else and that defensive and special teams scores count, too.

Also, I was one that was somewhat critical of the week one performance, not because of the offensive out put. 3s count and Avila is a monster at kicker, but it just seemed something was off. Jase looked tentative when running, didn't seem to have his normal arm strength. The under throws didn't look intentional or caused, they looked like something was wrong. Last week, it was just the opposite. there was conviction when Jase ran the ball, solid plants when he hit the hole, and if anything seemed to have a little adrenaline flowing on a few of those passes. I think we can win it all. I have booked my hotel already. What's more is if we win it all this year, the pipeline is flush and there will be a good shot at a long run. I guess time will tell. Go Cru.

Nope, nope, nope, don't remember that uww game, can't make me!!! I still believe our guys have been playing way better after the Hardin Simmons game and might not have peaked yet.  Furthermore, these guys know what it is like to play that close game and fight the full 60 minutes.

Looks like Wheaton had a field day with the 15+ yard passes against Whitewater so we might get to see a good dose of passing again.

One thing I noticed Saturday is that holy crap Tommy Bowden is quick. I'd noticed that he threw the ball pretty hard but there were a couple of runs where he was through a hole before I realized it...

umhb2001

Bowden will make an impact in this game this weekend.
Watch out for the wreckingCRU defense!!

zipmac22

Quote from: umhb2001 on December 02, 2019, 10:05:26 PM

I agree, I think Bowden will give Whitewater fits trying to contain him. That will really open up our game and give the receivers a chance to spread out Whitewater's defense.
D3 National Champions:  2016, 2018, 2021

umhb2001

Quote from: umhb2001 on December 02, 2019, 10:05:26 PM

Of course, there's also Luke Poorman. Kid has the fortitude to get it done also.
Watch out for the wreckingCRU defense!!

Etchglow

Big congrats to Tevin Jones (1st team)and Joey Longoria (2nd team) being named to the AFCA All american teams!  Jaquan Hemphill and Manny Longoria joined them as fellow ASC members on the second team.