BB: CCIW: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by RedmenFB44, January 05, 2006, 12:14:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndOne

Quote from: Jack Parkman on May 11, 2019, 11:38:36 PM
Quote from: AndOne on May 11, 2019, 10:42:48 PM
Quote from: mr_b on May 11, 2019, 09:09:00 PM
North Central tops IWU in 10 innings, 8-7, on a bases-loaded fielder's choice. NCC wins the CCIW Tournament and advances to regional play.

* The game recap isn't in yet, but the live stats summary indicates NCC's winning run scored when, with one out in the bottom of the 10th, Colin Weilbacher reached on a fielder's choice.
Is anyone aware of the details of that play? Did IWU try for an inning ending double play with Weilbacher beating the throw or what?

https://twitter.com/msr0729/status/1127403628627734530

Whatever happened, it sure looks like the IWU guys were pretty unhappy.

What happened was that Weilbacher hit a little dribbler out in front of the plate which was fielded by the IWU pitcher who shoveled it home, but not quite in time to beat NCC's Matt Sutherland who slid in head first with the winning run. ⚾️

Gregory Sager

North Central is the third seed in the UWW regional, behind #1 Webster and the host Warhawks and ahead of #4 Bethany Lutheran.

As expected, the CCIW didn't get any Pool C bids.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Gregory Sager

This marks the third season in a row, and the fifth out of the last six, that the CCIW has sent only one team to the D3 baseball tourney. Prior to that, the CCIW had had a stretch of eight seasons out of nine in which it sent multiple teams to the D3 baseball tourney, including a stretch of three years out of four in which it sent three teams.

I don't think it's because the league is slipping in terms of quality. My take is that parity within the league is dragging down the overall records of the second- and third-place teams to the point where they're not viable Pool C contenders anymore.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

mwunder

Quote from: Gregory Sager on May 13, 2019, 01:20:40 PM
North Central is the third seed in the UWW regional, behind #1 Webster and the host Warhawks and ahead of #4 Bethany Lutheran.

As expected, the CCIW didn't get any Pool C bids.

I don't mind that UWW gets to host since they are less than a half hour from me, but it's a terrible draw for NCC.  Playing the host is always sucky, even if it makes geographical sense.  I think Concordia-Chicago hosting didn't help the Cardinals. 

CardinalAlum

Quote from: Gregory Sager on May 13, 2019, 02:04:35 PM
This marks the third season in a row, and the fifth out of the last six, that the CCIW has sent only one team to the D3 baseball tourney. Prior to that, the CCIW had had a stretch of eight seasons out of nine in which it sent multiple teams to the D3 baseball tourney, including a stretch of three years out of four in which it sent three teams.

I don't think it's because the league is slipping in terms of quality. My take is that parity within the league is dragging down the overall records of the second- and third-place teams to the point where they're not viable Pool C contenders anymore.

I think you're 100% right on.  Add to that the fact these teams go down to Florida or Arizona and play teams that can practice outside during the Winter months, while CCIW teams are shaking off rust.  I know NCC played fairly well down South this year but that's not how it's been in recent years.
D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  ** D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **   D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 2022

mr_b

Gregory Sager

Three of the five Vikings honored on the All-CCIW team finished at the top of various CCIW statistical categories this season, and of that quintet they're the three that will return for North Park in 2020. Junior C/3B Ranko Stevanovic, a second-teamer who was also named CCIW Newcomer of the Year, led the league in hits with 41. Junior SS Jake Reinhardt won the CCIW batting title with an even .400 average, becoming the first North Park hitter to win the league's batting crown since Joel Bonnett did so back in 2012. Reinhardt also led the CCIW in runs with 33. And sophomore RHP Ethan Sund, like Reinhardt a first-teamer, led the league in ERA with a stingy 0.98, the first CCIW ERA champion from the Park since Tim Dykes hurled a 1.35 ERA for NPU way back in 1999.

mr_b

In regional action, North Central dropped its opening game on Friday to Whitewater, 9-2, then rebounded on Saturday with a pair of wins to eliminate Bethany Lutheran, 11-4, and get revenge by knocking out Whitewater, 13-4.  They need to defeat Webster twice on Sunday to advance to the super regional.

AndOne

The Cardinals did what they needed to in the first game, coming away with a 14-9 win.
The big problem is with the 2nd game being their 5th since Friday, they have gone through their 4 starting pitchers. Accordingly, reliever Patrick Schaefer draws the starting assignment. Schaefer has been very effective this season pitching to a 2.13 ERA while giving up only 31 hits in 38 innings.
However, this is is first start of the season.

Mr. Ypsi

Yeah, baseball ain't like softball, where pitchers can continue almost indefinitely.  IWU beat Carthage in the super-regional when Ally Wiegand won BOTH games in a Saturday sweep (after Carthage won the Friday game), yielding 3 hits and zero runs in 11 innings!  IF she isn't named first-team AA, I'm demanding a recount! ;D

As often happens in baseball tourneys, Carthage apparently just ran out of pitchers.  The RedMen trail 11-2 in the ninth to Webster.

Alas, NCC ran out of outs = the game ends with the bases loaded with Cardinals, but the score still 11-2. 

AndOne

Well, the Cardinals gave it the old college try but alas, they fell short by a score of 11-2. They finish the season with a 34-13 record, and with Conference and Conference Tournament Championships.
Much to be proud of looking back over a fine season. ⚾️ 👍

npbaseball40

Congratulations to the 10 D3baseball.com All-Central Region picks grown in the CCIW.

https://www.d3baseball.com/awards/all-region/2019/central

The league saw six of the 10 selected as First Team recipients, including NCC catcher Rob Marinec as the Player of the Year.

BigPoppa

The season is quickly approaching. Anyone have a prediction on the how the CCIW will shake out in 2020?
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

Jim Dixon

If I could ask the coaches - wait I can.

1. North Central
2. Illinois Wesleyan
3. Millikin
4. Carthage

Methodology and data very much sketchy with sampling problems.....

BigPoppa

I am very curious to see if Carthage can stay healthy this season. Injuries depleted their pitching staff and lineup last season. If they can stay healthy, they could return to the Carthage of old... Still, I think NCC is head and shoulders above the rest of the CCIW.

A few lucky CCIW teams open this weekend with quick weekend trips South.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.