BB: CCIW: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by RedmenFB44, January 05, 2006, 12:14:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sweetness

Looking at the upcoming starters for the Elmhurst Blue Jays this season

Games played last season/Games started last season – And some Stats or comments.

Catcher – 28/20 3 HR's, FLD% .982 "Could be first team all conference"
1st Base – 31/34 15 BB, 24 Hits, FLD% .974
2nd Base – 14/4
3rd Base – 29/27 23 Hits
Shortstop – transfer student "Could be the next Brad Gorth"
Outfield – 24/23 29 hits, 25 Runs, 5 HR's, 22 RBI's, 11 BB, BA .352 "He was injured for 16 games and could be first team all conference and All American"
Outfield – 29/25 29 hits, 16 BB, OBP .446, 9 SB, FLD% 1.000, BA .322
Outfield – 25/19 23 hits, BA .307
DH – 23/9 2 HR, SLG% .450
1SP – "He was out last year do to injury and he is throwing really hard"
2SP – 7 starts, 31ER, 52.2 IP, 26 SO
3SP – 12 starts, 39 ER, 56.0 IP, 26 SO
4SP – 3 starts, 7 ER, 8.1 IP " Hard throwing lefty"
1RP – 23 games, ERA 3.50, 4-3, 43.3 IP, 17 ER, 24 SO
2RP – 21 games, 4-2, 3 SV, 25 ER, 21 SO, 34.2 IP
3RP - "He was out last year do to injury" 2004 stats – 8 starts, 5-2, 2 CG, 52.1 IP, 37 ER, 26 SO

All of the younger players got a lot of playing time in the past couple years.  And they are ready to take over the CCIW league. 

ScrappyMcTavish

It looks as though we have a preview of both Carthage, Illinois Weslyan and Elmhurst... does anyone have info on the other programs?

I know NPU has a new coach, what type of players did he bring in. What system are they going to run? Sit back and swing like Carthage or play small ball like Elmhurst?

Who looks to have the CCIW's top pitching this spring?

ScrappyMcTavish

Looking over the returing All-CCIW players form last season, thing become a little clearer as to where teams stand.

*pitcher

Augie (4)
Jake Vernon Sr-OF
Jake Meisenbach Sr-C
Marc Blakely So-OF
*Kevin Kuntz Jr-P

Carthage (3)
*Michael Heining Jr-P
*Scott Evosovich Sr-P
Chris Sadjak Sr-INF

Elmhurst (1)
*Doug Kucik Jr-P

IWU (4)
Ricky Angel So-INF
Pat Cinquegrani Jr-OF
Joe Howard Sr-OF
Nick Chilezenkowski Sr-OF

Millikin (0)

North Central (1)
Mark Satkowski Sr-DH

North Park (0)

Wheaton (1)
Quinn Wulbecker Sr-INF

With all of this being said, it appears that Augie, IWU and Carthage are in the best shape. I have to think that Carthage is in the Best shape as they have two returning All-CCIW pitchers. Augustana has one returning pitcher and IWU has none, but four returning All-CCIW hitters.

I am thinking this could be a three horse race with North Central and Elmhurst fighting for the fourth playoff spot.

augie_superfan

I'll give a nice detailed preview of Augie this weekend when I get some time

augie_superfan

Also, does anyone know if the new 1 playoff spot for every 6.5(?) eligible teams also applies to baseball?  Just curious if there might be some more at large bids this year

Sweetness

Does anyone have stats from fall ball from there teams.

Sweetness

Look out for Elmhurst Blue Jays pitching staff.

Husiel a hard throwing right handier, who throws strikes - Opponent Batting Average was .138%

Kucik a pitcher that can get the job done when has team needs him the most; he is always ahead of hitters.

Mathis is a pitcher that gives you that double play ground ball – 71% of his outs are ground balls.

Rogers a young and hard throwing pitcher, who can strike out a lot of batters.

RedmenFB44

I know that Carthage has a pitcher that was a freshman last year that was all ready getting looked at by scouts.
It's REDMEN not RED MEN

ScrappyMcTavish

Quote from: Sweetness on January 19, 2006, 01:29:40 AM
Look out for Elmhurst Blue Jays pitching staff.

Husiel a hard throwing right handier, who throws strikes - Opponent Batting Average was .138%

Kucik a pitcher that can get the job done when has team needs him the most; he is always ahead of hitters.

Mathis is a pitcher that gives you that double play ground ball – 71% of his outs are ground balls.

Rogers a young and hard throwing pitcher, who can strike out a lot of batters.

Are those fall ball stats against Elmhurst hitters? Your pitchers may look great on paper, but the caliber of hitting may not be up to what you will face in the CCIW. Maybe I am wrong and Elmhurts is loaded with hitters, but until they shut down IWU and Carthage, it is all specualation from fall ball.

Fall ball is nice, but it doesn't really matter as pitchers are very limited in what they are throwing and hitters sit back and feast on pitching that does not make the spring team. In short, fall ball is nice, but not the real deal.

Sweetness

Why does anybody make IWU and Carthage sound like they are best team in the CCIW. 

BigPoppa

Traditionally, they are among the top in the nation. I understand you think Elmhurst is going to be good, but until they prove it on the field(like Carthage and IWU have in the past) you are just blowing smoke.

I will believe it when I see it. I hope Elmhurst proves me wrong. It will make for a very exciting CCIW and lead to a potential extra berth in the NCAA Tourney for an at-large bid.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

RedmenFB44

Hey scrappy-

I had some of my buddies on the Carthage baseball team ask who you were? If you dont want to answer I understand. They were just wondering if they knew you or if they have heard about you.
It's REDMEN not RED MEN

BigPoppa

Scrappy?? He may not answer as he is currently coaching college ball on the West Coast. I believe his name is still quite prevalent in the record books.

I do not want to be the one to reveal his identity if he is choosing to keep it hidden, so I will let him make that decision.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

Sweetness

So, what is the next baseball topic?

Tezbaseball

Interesting site. You can see by where a MLB player went to school.

http://baseballreference.com/schools/
The great blessing of mankind are within us and within our reach; but we shut our eyes, and like people in the dark, we fall foul upon the very thing we search for, without finding it