MBB: Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by miac newbie, February 17, 2005, 03:57:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smitty Oom

Quote from: GoldandBlueBU on March 01, 2017, 04:44:19 PM
Quote from: Drake Palmer on March 01, 2017, 03:26:23 PM
When the post season is done, I'd be glad to return and argue about next season's projected conference finish.  I realize the Johnnies are your mortal rivals, but you're picking SJU to finish 4th?  8-)  If they develop the slightest interest in playing defense, they're going to be scary. 

I'd echo that sentiment...UST / SJU / Carleton would be my projected 1-2-3.  As Drake pointed out, the Johnnies are going to be very tough to stop...and I think they can muster enough defense to get by.

Carleton will be right there, but I feel like they need more consistent contribution offensively outside of Grow and Hanson.  Who knows though, maybe a sophomore Hanson will be enough of a pickup over his first season to make a dent in that need.

I'm interested in hearing a more in depth analysis on next year's UST...they seem to find ways to reload year after year after year...

More and more I think about it, I think there are two tiers of teams in the top 4...

TIER 1
1. UST - Until proven otherwise after 12 years...
2. SJU - Stokman and Weiss is the best combo in the MIAC bar none. Great role players like Strom (great shooter), Goetz (Mr. everything) and Oliver (defensive/rebound/hustle machine). Commit to D everyonce and awhile and they are going to be Uber tough.

TIER 2
3. CARLETON - Losing Smit, Biewen and Peter BA is bigger than you would think. These guys gave them just enough of an outside dimension where you can't allow them too many open looks so the studly bigs could go to work. I think that they also caught a little bit of lightning in a bottle this year and would project them out at 13-7 range again for next year.
4. BETHEL - Hall makes this team go, it will be very hard to replace him and Wjota on a team that usually only goes 2 deep off the bench. Bridge, Magnuson and Kingland (Jenson showed flashes as well) is a great 3 players in this league but might be a learning curve after losing their 2 senior 4 year cornerstones of the Royal program. 

GoldandBlueBU

Quote from: Smitty Oom on March 01, 2017, 05:09:45 PM
4. BETHEL - Hall makes this team go, it will be very hard to replace him and Wjota on a team that usually only goes 2 deep off the bench. Bridge, Magnuson and Kingland (Jenson showed flashes as well) is a great 3 players in this league but might be a learning curve after losing their 2 senior 4 year cornerstones of the Royal program.

I think 4 is about where I'd put them...maybe 5...or 3 if they find some bench talent I'm not aware of.

Jack Jenson has been picking up steam in the last 6 or 7 games, and I think he's primed to step up next year as an aggressive defending guard, with the ability to score pretty well also.

I actually feel pretty good about their starting 5 of Magnuson, Hanson, Kingland, Tusler, Jenson.  That lineup could hold up well against any starting 5 in the MIAC, IMO,  but where they will get any bench help is a mystery to me.  Andrew Fort has been doing a decent job spelling Magnusson when Hanson was injured, but for Guard help, I really don't know where that will come from next year.

They haven't had any other guards see meaningful time, so unless someone is hiding on that bench, or they pick up some freshman guards that can contribute, dipping into the bench will be their downfall.

txg

Quote from: Drake Palmer on March 01, 2017, 03:26:23 PM
Carleton will be outstanding, but they'll need some outside shooters other than Kent Hanson. Joh Farmer, Henry Bensen, & the injured Quinn Johnson all seemed like distributors & slashers rather than outside shooting threats.

This is the only question mark.  The 3 senior guards took 85% of their three-pointers, which is kind of remarkable.  Bensen looks like a pretty good shooter, though.

SUMMIT!!!!!

Quote from: GoldandBlueBU on March 03, 2017, 01:29:33 PM
Nice write-up on Coach Novak:

http://www.twincities.com/2017/03/02/bethel-coach-doug-novak-citadel-anderson-university-tulane-royals/
great write up....too bad Bob downplayed that fact that it was Bethel's first-ever MIAC regular season championship... that is the work Novak's done tat impresses me most. Also-- after winning one championship, aren't questions about a "dynasty" rather premature? (especially with another dynasty still ruling the MIAC roost) To his credit, Novak pretty much ignored the "dynasty" crap.....but I do admire and respect the job Novak's done/doing at Bethel. A total class act.
After the game, the king and pawn go into the same box.

Italian proverb

SUMMIT!!!!!

Also--- best of luck to both Bethel and UST tonight. Neither has an easy match-up (If I believed in conspiracy theories, I'd say the NCAA is trying to shaft the MIAC). And (the shock of this may kill AO  :o) good luck to UNW!  And, good luck to GAC & UST's women's teams too.... Rep the MIAC Well!
After the game, the king and pawn go into the same box.

Italian proverb

Smitty Oom

Great article, always excited to see D3 covered in the local media! Reminded me that I wanted to share this news piece the other day on Will Gisler, who has been a dang good bball player for Northwestern the last four years... Introduced on the CBS channel 4 news by none other than the american treasure, Mark "ROSIE!" Rosen!

Also... if you guys want over in the multi-regional page there are some fun fantasy games going on for the tourney, and since we have 2 MIAC teams it might be fun to get involved. Some, involve more of a time commitment than others, but one is just picking who you think will be the highest 12 fantasy scorers for the whole tournament and watch the points roll in! Another is a survivor pool for all the rounds. Good luck to all MN teams today, love seeing them represent on a national level!

GoldandBlueBU

Quote from: miacmaniac on March 03, 2017, 03:03:36 PM
Quote from: GoldandBlueBU on March 03, 2017, 01:29:33 PM
Nice write-up on Coach Novak:

http://www.twincities.com/2017/03/02/bethel-coach-doug-novak-citadel-anderson-university-tulane-royals/
great write up....too bad Bob downplayed that fact that it was Bethel's first-ever MIAC regular season championship... that is the work Novak's done tat impresses me most. Also-- after winning one championship, aren't questions about a "dynasty" rather premature? (especially with another dynasty still ruling the MIAC roost) To his credit, Novak pretty much ignored the "dynasty" crap.....but I do admire and respect the job Novak's done/doing at Bethel. A total class act.

Ha! yes, - that did seem like a dumb question.  I think you have to rip off a few in a row before that's a legitimate question - and to his credit, as you pointed out, he didn't really engage the question, along with the one about winning a national championship.

I personally know Jeff Westlund, and he couldn't be a nicer guy.  I never played for the team, though I had a "recruiting visit" with him (decided to play football, where I learned I wasn't as good at that as I had thought), and after that,  every time I ran into him throughout my four years (dozens of times in total, as we often happened to be in the weight room at the same time), he'd want to stop and chat with me, hear how school was going, how my family was, etc, not just "hi, how's it going".  I really admired him.

That said, the Novak team culture certainly seems to have an energy and tenacity that wasn't quite there in the Westy years.  I'd love to see what Novak would have been able to do in the Madson / Moberg / Laugen era, or before them, Madson / Meadowcraft / Strom and others.  Those teams had some more talent, but were also playing at the same time as some very good UST teams.

Smitty - when were you at Concordia?  A high school friend, mostly cross town rival, and occasional 3 on 3 tournament teammate played there from 2004 - 2008...are you of that vintage?

Hoping for the best tonight, bracing for the worst against UWRF.

AO

Quote from: GoldandBlueBU on March 03, 2017, 04:56:55 PM
Hoping for the best tonight, bracing for the worst against UWRF.
I thought I was fully braced for the worst, then tonight happened.  Wow.  Don't think I'll ever see 3 games quite like that in one night.

faunch

If anyone can find video of the last minute of the Augustana / U$T video I would love to see it.  How the f-ck does a team blow an 8 point lead w/ under 40 seconds to play?

"I'm a uniter...not a divider."

faunch

Quote from: faunch on March 04, 2017, 11:28:12 AM
If anyone can find video of the last minute of the Augustana / U$T video I would love to see it.  How the f-ck does a team blow an 8 point lead w/ under 40 seconds to play?

Found them:
https://twitter.com/UhlmannMatt/status/837837953858695168

https://twitter.com/MattRandazzo/status/837899223496556544

Gregory Sager

From the Augustana gamer:

"John Veil's basket with 41 seconds left and the shot clock winding down gave St. Thomas a seemingly comfortable 74-66 lead. Nolan Ebel (Regis Jesuit HS, Denver, Colo.) trimmed the margin to six with a layup and was fouled. His free throw was no good, but junior Brandon Schattner (Wilmot HS, Twin Lakes, Wis.) kept the possession alive with an offensive rebound. Ebel made it pay off with another layup at the 28-second mark and Coach Grey Giovanine called a 30-second timeout with his team down 74-70.

"Coming out of the break, Orange had a steal and layup and Augustana used another timeout trailing just 74-72. On the Tommies' next possession, sophomore Brett Benning (Dakota HS, Davis, Ill.) fouled Will Dunn with 17 seconds left. Dunn missed both free throws and senior Jacob Johnston (Erie HS, Cordova, Ill.) grabbed the rebound. With 10 seconds left, Ebel was fouled by Grant Schaeffer and his two free throws tied the contest at 74-all.

"After another Augustana timeout, Ebel drew a charge from Veil with 3.7 seconds left, setting the stage for Orange's game-winner. Needing to go the length of the floor, Orange caught Johnston's inbounds pass on the run, moved up the left sideline, pulled up just beyond the top of the key and drilled the shot over two UST defenders as the buzzer sounded."
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Drake Palmer

Wow, the Ghost of the MN Vikings 1998 returns not once, not twice, but three different times last night, all in the state of Wisconsin.  Yikes!   :o ;)

"If anything here offends, I beg your pardon. I come in peace, I depart in gratitude." ;)

Drake Palmer

Quote from: faunch on March 04, 2017, 11:35:11 AM

Found them:

Easy on the schadenfreude Faunch.  Some Bethel fans might remind you of last Saturday.  Or SJU's loss to Oshkosh last fall, etc. ::) ;)
"If anything here offends, I beg your pardon. I come in peace, I depart in gratitude." ;)

faunch

Quote from: Drake Palmer on March 04, 2017, 01:45:59 PM
Quote from: faunch on March 04, 2017, 11:35:11 AM

Found them:

Easy on the schadenfreude Faunch.  Some Bethel fans might remind you of last Saturday.  Or SJU's loss to Oshkosh last fall, etc. ::) ;)

I'm not concerned...any day the Tom$ lose is a good day.