BB: Regionals (New York) Auburn NY '08, SUNY-Old Westbury '09, Cortland State '10, '11

Started by Ralph Turner, May 11, 2008, 11:48:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ballsy

was not there, but the above was tournament recap,   sounds different from what you observed though....have my own reasons for why i think JB is overrated....  and in my opinion best team won.

Baseball Coach Toledo

on a board where your anonymous you can share why you think he is so overrated. I'm from jersey, so i guess I gave away my team allegences from this weekend

FranElia

I apologize for any confusion, but we made a mistake in the press box. We were not aware that a balk had been called on the play in the ninth. Not knowing what actually happened, we recorded an error on the pickoff throw (which we now know was negated by the balk). I just learned Sunday evening about the balk, and the stats have been fixed. Therefore, those who are referencing the throwing error aren't crazy - we did have that listed, mistakenly, in the box score and game story until Sunday night.

Fran Elia
Cortland SID

Ralph Turner

Thank you, Fran.

I appreciate your coming onto the message boards to clarify the point..

I also want to thank you for all of the support that you have given D3baseball.com and D3boards.com, as well as the websites thru the years.

+1!  :)

FranElia

Thanks Ralph. I appreciate that.

I don't tend to post on the boards with opinions, due to my role at Cortland, but I do post when I feel something needs to be factually clarified or corrected. In this particular case, the correction was to my own mistake (so I'm the perfect person to make the correction!!) :)

Congrats to the teams heading to Wisconsin. I've been fortunate to be there a few times, and the experience is always a good one. They run a first-class operation.

By the way, in how many sports do you see an entirely different "final eight" from one year to the next? I have to believe there is more parity in baseball than in any Div. III sport - makes it very exciting every year.

Fran

onesix3

I would like to ask whose decision was it to start a game at 10:57PM? Also why was that game so important to be played on Friday night?

theguru25

I agree, kind of crazy to start a 3 hour game at 11 at night. I think it was because if they didn't play it then, it would have potentially made the winner (Brockport or ECSU) play 3 games on the Saturday. And since that isn't possible according to rules, Keystone would have had a complete day of rest. I'm not sure how well that would've flown with their opponents to give their first starter and all their relievers an extra day of rest. Must've been tough for Brockport to play til 2:30am and then probably only get to sleep until 10am for breakfast and get to the field to hit and warm up. They were getting very thin on arms, and I'm not sure who would've been able to throw for them against Keystone had they beat Cortland. If their starter could've went longer, and saved Tilley, that would be logical, but then they would have to go with Smith on Sunday on 3 days rest after he threw 8 innings on Wednesday, or hope they could win by pitching the whole staff. Tough circumstances for any team out of the loser's bracket though. A lot of extra games and only so many reliable arms. Congratulations to all of the teams for making the regional and good luck to Keystone in the World Series. Hopefully they represent the NY region well.

rob

No matter what, someone would have cried "foul".  If the game was pushed into Saturday or not.

rob

Also, say what you will about JB, he puts together a VERY competitive team EVERY year.  With the loss of Gardner, Nickel, Simone the Dimino's, etc no one would have been surprised to see Cortland have a down year but that didn't happen.  An incredibly strong pitching staff and an improved defense changed the face of that team and once again they were in the championship game in regionals.  I'm sure one way or another they will be competitve next year and the year after, and the year after, etc.
All the haters are certainly entitled to their opinions but just count the W's at the end of the season.

onesix3

I don't want to cry"foul",I want to lodge a formal complaint.How do they know someone disagrees with their decision if you don't let "them" know.Whoever "them" is or are!! I'm not complaining about the outcomes of the game or advantages or disadvantages of one team or another,I'm complaining about starting a game at an unreasonable hour and playing until almost 3AM.Two games were scheduled for Sat. and one for Sunday,certainly adjustments could have been made without disrupting the whole tournament. Clearly not a lot of common sense went into this decision!           And please don't tell me its been done in the past,that doesn't make it right and only adds to the stupidity!!