The official ATN Division III alumni thread

Started by K-Mack, November 05, 2009, 05:25:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kira & Jaxon's Dad

It will be easier to see the list if you follow Kieth's instructions:

QuoteWithout using the quote function, copy the list each time you add to it so the full list is always on the most current post.
National Champions - 13: 1993, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2015, 2017

theoriginalupstate

Kevin James played football at Cortland for 3 years there.  He had a decent show for a while with the King of Queens and recently stared in Paul Blart-Mall Cop and I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry

John Cena graduated from Springfield College and played Center.  He's a popular WWE wrestler and has had a couple movies out recently.

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: kirasdad on November 06, 2009, 11:17:40 AM

QuoteWithout using the quote function, copy the list each time you add to it so the full list is always on the most current post.

Ah, don't stifle our creativity! :D  Make Keith earn his 'big bucks'! ;D

A full listing of d3 grads prominent in something would be longer than the latest edition of Who's Who or the Manhattan phone book.  I could give you a 5-page list from IWU alone (but I'll spare you! :P)

We're just coming up with some particularly prominent (or quirky) suggestions for K-Mack.

K-Mack

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on November 06, 2009, 08:20:41 PM
Quote from: kirasdad on November 06, 2009, 11:17:40 AM

Ah, don't stifle our creativity! :D  Make Keith earn his 'big bucks'! ;D

A full listing of d3 grads prominent in something would be longer than the latest edition of Who's Who or the Manhattan phone book.  I could give you a 5-page list from IWU alone (but I'll spare you! :P)

We're just coming up with some particularly prominent (or quirky) suggestions for K-Mack.

+k for Kirasdad ... thanks for being the only one to pay attention. Smite Mr. Creativity :D!

You can make me earn my bucks if you want,  but if you wait around for me to fix up the list, you might be waiting a while.

I knew about Cena and the Whittier coaches & Nixon ... there are a ton more we know of, but I was hoping would be added in running list form.

As for Popovich, I didn't know that one. Pretty sure Stan Van Gundy started at Castleton State and brother Jeff has an NY D3 connection too.

Didn't know about Kevin James either. Nice.
Former author, Around the Nation ('01-'13)
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

K-Mack

I hadn't seen the D3 schools in TV and movies thread before this morning. Kinda related, but kinda not.
Former author, Around the Nation ('01-'13)
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

Gray Fox

QuoteBen Affleck, Actor - must have began making big money, did not graduate

Affleck won an Academy Award as a writer with Matt Damon for Good Will Hunting.
I guess that is an MIT sighting in a movie. ;)
Fierce When Roused

Senor RedTackle

Matt Patricia, current LB coach for New England Patriots played OL for RPI between 1991-95

redswarm81

Considered by careful analysts to be the best punter in NFL history, Dave Jennings played for St. Lawrence.   According to then-RPI Sports Information Director the late Jim Greenidge (who was later a columnist for the Boston Globe), Jennings' last punt at RPI was a 70+ yarder on the recently retired '86 Field.
Irritating SAT-lagging Union undergrads and alums since 1977

Ralph Turner

Quote from: redswarm81 on November 08, 2009, 08:30:13 AM
Considered by careful analysts to be the best punter in NFL history, Dave Jennings played for St. Lawrence.   According to then-RPI Sports Information Director the late Jim Greenidge (who was later a columnist for the Boston Globe), Jennings' last punt at RPI was a 70+ yarder on the recently retired '86 Field.
This is 4 degrees of Kevin Bacon stuff, but the most underrated punter in that reference

Click here

is Sammy Baugh, former head football coach at Hardin-Simmons, back when they were playing major college ball in the 1950's.

Sammy Baugh's greatest talent may have been punting into the "coffin corner", a skill not practiced often now.

Thanks for the citation and reference.

DutchHawk

Harry Smith - played football and graduated from Central College and hosts The Early Show on CBS. Also wore a Central jersey on TV last spring when he had the big names from the NFL Draft there to interview the top picks.

Vern Den Herder - Drafted by the Miami Dolphins and was a starting Defensive end on the undefeated Miami Dolphins Super Bowl champion squad.
30 IIAC Championships
20 Division III Playoff Appearances

kubiack78

For Whitewater:

John Belushi - Saturday Night Live comedian (attended) (not Jim)

Jeff Jagodzinski - former football coach for the Green Bay Packers and Boston College

Eric Studesville - running backs coach for the Buffalo Bills

Kira & Jaxon's Dad

Quote from: warhawk78 on November 08, 2009, 08:27:16 PM
For Whitewater:

John Belushi - Saturday Night Live comedian (attended) (not Jim)

Jeff Jagodzinski - former football coach for the Green Bay Packers and Boston College

Eric Studesville - running backs coach for the Buffalo Bills

Jeff Jagodzinski - former football coach for the Green Bay Packers and Boston College  (And Buccaneers)  :)
National Champions - 13: 1993, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2015, 2017

Kira & Jaxon's Dad

PLAYED/COACHED AT A CURRENT DIVISION III SCHOOL
K.C. Keeler, Rowan coach (won 2003 Division I-AA championship at Delaware)
Josh McDaniels, John Carroll wide receiver, '95 to '99 (Denver Broncos head coach)
Ronald Reagan, Eureka guard, '28 to 32 (President)
Dom Capers, Mount Union College, Safety and LB '68-'71 (NFL Head and Assistant Coach (2009-Green Bay))
Paul Bixler, Mount Union College, G & FB '29 (Head FB Coach OSU and Colgate, Head BB Coach at Akron)

ATTENDED A CURRENT D3 BUT DIDN'T PLAY:
Jim Belushi, UW-Whitewater, '68 (actor, Saturday Night Live)
World B. Free, Guilford, '72 (NBA star)
Barack Obama, Occidental, '79 to '81 (President)
Philander Knox, Mount Union College, 1872 (US Secretary of State and US Attorney General)
Ed Kiernan, Mount Union College, '95 (VP and CMO, Peter Jacobson Sports)
Mike McGee, Mount Union College, (Baseball) '97 (Mr. Annika Sorenstam)  ;)

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: kirasdad on November 08, 2009, 09:22:33 PM
PLAYED/COACHED AT A CURRENT DIVISION III SCHOOL
K.C. Keeler, Rowan coach (won 2003 Division I-AA championship at Delaware)
Josh McDaniels, John Carroll wide receiver, '95 to '99 (Denver Broncos head coach)
Ronald Reagan, Eureka guard, '28 to 32 (President)
Dom Capers, Mount Union College, Safety and LB '68-'71 (NFL Head and Assistant Coach (2009-Green Bay))
Paul Bixler, Mount Union College, G & FB '29 (Head FB Coach OSU and Colgate, Head BB Coach at Akron)

ATTENDED A CURRENT D3 BUT DIDN'T PLAY:
Jim Belushi, UW-Whitewater, '68 (actor, Saturday Night Live)
World B. Free, Guilford, '72 (NBA star)
Barack Obama, Occidental, '79 to '81 (President)
Philander Knox, Mount Union College, 1872 (US Secretary of State and US Attorney General)
Ed Kiernan, Mount Union College, '95 (VP and CMO, Peter Jacobson Sports)
Mike McGee, Mount Union College, (Baseball) '97 (Mr. Annika Sorenstam)  ;)

warhawk78 is correct - it was John (not Jim) Belushi who attended UWW.  (And the Devil makes me point out that his biographers say he wanted to attend IWU, but couldn't get in! :D)

Actually, it may not be the Devil, but kirasdad, whose summary omitted all the CCIW 'alums' - Ken Anderson, Jack Sikma, and John Wesley Powell. >:( ;D

Kira & Jaxon's Dad

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on November 08, 2009, 10:12:37 PM
Actually, it may not be the Devil, but kirasdad, whose summary omitted all the CCIW 'alums' - Ken Anderson, Jack Sikma, and John Wesley Powell. >:( ;D

If you had followed Kieth's initial instructions properly, they would have been on the list.  I don't get paid the "Big Bucks" to fix others' posts on this thread.    ;) :P