MBB: Coast 2 Coast Athletic Conference

Started by Mr. Ypsi, March 27, 2005, 10:16:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt Letourneau

D-Mac...you KNOW how impressed I am with Russo and Garritt.  No argument about how good they are.

But I would respectfully submit that they simply wouldn't be getting these kinds of points if they were on good teams.  No way.  Neither of them have particularly good percentages---they just take a TON of shots.  Now, that's what their team needs from them because they don't have much else, but as we've been discussing, you've got to grade on a scale when you're talking about POY.   Those guys would be good on any team, and when they're on, they're on, but I just don't think they'd be such standouts on the other teams.

Of course, I'm picking the wrong night to make that sort of argument.  I hope Russo and the Goucher fans enjoy his historical night.  They certainly should.  A bright spot in a disappointing season. But now let me ask the question--given Goucher's last two games, when both Russo and Garritt have played absolutely posessed, does anybody want to play Goucher in the first round of the CAC tourney?   I think I'll pass, thank you. 

I shared your impressions on SMC in the game I saw.  They just seemed like a bit of a mess.  Really undisciplined--like they weren't on the same page.   I didn't think Lesense was helping them much, either...

Wow, an Eddie sighthing. Well he played with those guys and it was senior night, so good that he was there.  Sounds like an exciting game.  I wish Marymount had pulled it out.  No offense.

uofs

God forbid if they where on CATHOLIC they would be the next Michael Jordan.

Matt Letourneau

Some stats from the Catholic game...

Catholic continued their hot shooting from 3, going 8-15.  Pat Satalin had 15 points as did Pat Dwyer.  Freshman Sean Stolenthaler started had 13 points, including 3-3 from 3.  Sowden had 14 with 9 rebounds.  Catholic also shot really well from the free throw line, 25-31...

Salisbury was led by Williams (19) and Odmeru (12).

Looks like Catholic shot well, took care of the ball and their free throws, and had a solid win.  They face Galluadet on CUA senior day Saturday.  If they win, I believe they lock up the #2 seed...that simple.

Meanwhile, Goucher is within a game of St. Mary's now at the bottom.  Gally needs to beat Catholic to get a home game, if Salisbury beats St. Mary's.  Hmm.

Matt Letourneau

Quote from: uofs on February 15, 2006, 11:18:37 PM
God forbid if they where on CATHOLIC they would be the next Michael Jordan.

Ignore him, he's just mad because I've been defending Mary Wash over on the women's board.   He thought that Mary Wash's win at Marymount was unimpressive. 

But if either of them were on Catholic, they'd be the best shooters on the team.

ycp

Put Garritt on ANY CAC team and that team is better!

mwcsid

I'd like to say that the CAC SID did a heck of a job updating all the standings and results tonight.
:-)

ycp

Details from YCP on a very cool senior night....

The Spartans were led by the tandem of Brandon Bushey and sophomore Chad McGowan as they each poured in 20 points. Bushey added a team-high eight rebounds, two assists, two blocked shots and a steal. Bushey was 8-for-10 from the floor and 4-for-5 from three. McGowan was equally as efficient from the field as he was 7-for-9 from the floor including 1-for-2 from distance. The sophomore was 5-for-10 at the charity stripe while he also contributed four rebounds and a blocked shot. Brad Zerfing played well for York as he contributed 11 points, six assists, and three rebounds in 25 minutes of action. Freshman Quinn Howard continues to be a spark off the bench for York as he tallied 11 points, four assists, and three steals in 16 minutes of play. Freshman Nate Fry added nine points, seven rebounds, three assists, and a blocked shot for YCP.

Gallaudet received a double-double from Frank Jackson as he tallied a game-high 21 points and a game-high 12 rebounds. Robert Haney added 15 points, three rebounds, three steals, and two assists in 23 minutes before fouling out late in the game. Jon Mowl was the third Bison in double figures with 14 points but the standout freshman struggled from the field as he was 4-for-11 overall including 3-for-10 from three.

The Spartans shot a blistering 72% (18-for-25) in the first half and finished the game converting a season-best 63.6% (35-for-55) from the floor. The Spartans also sizzled from downtown as they made 10-of-19 from distance, a conversion rate of 52.6%.

The Spartan seniors improve their four year mark to 75-33 including a pair of regular-season CAC Championships, a tournament title and a Final Four appearance. I want to tell you what a pleasure it has been to watch these guys play. Team basketball certainly isn't dead in Spartanland. Congrats to Brandon, Kenny, Brian, and Paddy, you guys have been great and hopefully there will be many more highlights to come!

ycp

The question isn't wether the CAC homepage is updated but, are the stats updated like the old SID used to do??? :)

ycp

kitchenrat

It was an amazing Senior night in Wolf last night. The stats are already out there, so all I will add is the intangibles. 1) Coach Gamber took his foot off the gas with about 6 to play to allow all of the Seniors to come off of the floor together so the final margin is not indicative of just how well the Sparts played. 2) the crowd was in post season form and no matter who comes into the Kitchen they are going to be playing 5 on "6" for 40 minutes. 3) The way the underclassmen pulled for the 4 seniors was palpable, you could just tell that those guys wanted nothing more than to see Paddy, Kenny, Brian and Brandon go out on a very high note. 4) After the game Coach Gamber allowed those 4 to address the Gym before himself taking the mic to promise all in attendance an all out effort to make each game memorable and to ask the fans to do the same. I think the frenzy around the Spartans is at an all time high, even more so than in the days leading up to Salem last year. I know Goolrick has been particularly tough on York for the lasts few years but I would expect to see an even higher level of play on Saturday. GO YORK! McGowan for POY, Gamber for COY.
Vita nostra brevis est
Brevi finietur.
Venit mors velociter
Rapit nos atrociter
Nemini parcetur.

Matt Letourneau

Ok, can somebody run down the tiebreaker scenario for the #2 seed if Catholic and Mary Washington both win or lose Saturday? Let me see if I have this right.  (For the record, I still hate this tiebreak system, I think it should work from the bottom up, not the top down).

Obviously, if Catholic wins and Mary Wash loses, Catholic is the #2, or vice versa.

If both teams win, you'd move to York-and there would be a split.  Then you would jump down to 4th place, which would be Salisbury if they beat St. Mary's (because we're assuming a Catholic win, which means a Gally loss,)  However, if SMC were to beat Salisbury, and Gally were to lose, Gally would be the #4 seed because they beat Salisbury twice.  But, either way, since Catholic and Mary Wash split with Salisbury, so then you would move to Gally. Since Mary Wash beat Gally twice, they would win the tiebreaker here and be the #2 seed.

If both teams lose, you'd start the tiebreak with York, and Catholic would win it there because they've beaten York once. 

So basically, for Catholic to be the #2 seed, they need Mary Washington to lose.  If Mary Wash wins, they are the #2 seed.

Right?

BisonKiller

Quote from: ycp on February 15, 2006, 09:59:09 PM
Final From York...

York 94-Gallaudet 75

Gallaudet went on a big 22-4 run late in the game to make the final score inside of 20.

Details later.

So York at one time was actually up by 40 or so in the 2nd half?

Damn that sucked....Either York is that damn good or Gallaudet is overrated

ycp

I believe the high water mark was 32 with about 10 minutes left. Gallaudet cut it to 14 before York finished with the 19 point win.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Matt - I am going to work on that for you. The biggest key is who is fourth... GAL or SAL. That will make the difference. I will try and get back to you on it as soon as I can.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Matt Letourneau

Thanks...I think I have it right.  In the event Gally and SAL are tied, Gally would win the tiebreaker because they have beaten SAL twice.

But if Catholic wins and SAL wins, then SAL would be a game better than Gally. Even that shouldn't make a difference because Mary Wash and CUA have identical records against SAL--so either way it comes down to Gally, and Mary Wash wins that tiebreaker.