FB: Southern Athletic Association

Started by Ron Boerger, October 25, 2011, 02:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BerryCollegeFan

Quote from: BerryViking92 on October 31, 2018, 02:26:44 PM
Quote from: cover2 on October 31, 2018, 01:47:06 PM
Curious how folks think Berry would match up with UMHB.  Any thoughts?

We are good and getting better.  But is only year six. I prefer to avoid UMHB for a few more years.....

It is always tough playing the top tier, but you've got to do it sometime.  Like last season, I think everyone got a great idea of where the program is and what areas need to improve to keep moving up.

BerryCollegeFan

Quote from: jknezek on October 30, 2018, 01:58:16 PM
Quote from: BerryCollegeFan on October 30, 2018, 01:52:05 PM
If Maryville wins, it is highly likely Berry will see them again in the 1st round.  I don't know all the other possible candidates, but maybe Franklin or Randolph-Macon are close enough if they win,  but those are still pretty long trips.

You can use the NCAA TES Mileage Calculator to check. https://web1.ncaa.org/TES/exec/miles

Berry is 611 miles from RMC, 463 from Franklin. So Franklin will work for Berry. RMC and Maryville are possibilities for each other but RMC is not a bus trip from Berry.

Looks like Maryville might have clinched today

HookEmVikes

After watching Berry play St. Thomas last year in person and having a conversation with my son who played in the game, Berry is not on the same level with STU or UMHB at this point. Can they get there? I think they can but I'm not sure how soon that will / could be. Its amazing where they are now after only 6 years.

MUC57

Quote from: HookEmVikes on November 05, 2018, 11:31:22 AM

After watching Berry play St. Thomas last year in person and having a conversation with my son who played in the game, Berry is not on the same level with STU or UMHB at this point. Can they get there? I think they can but I'm not sure how soon that will / could be. Its amazing where they are now after only 6 years.
u

Mount Union started playing football in 1893. They won their first conference championship in 1985. That was also their first playoff year. Their first national championship came in 1993, 100 years after their first game. Sometimes it takes awhile. By comparison, you are doing quite well. Keep it up. And Go Vikings!
I'm old! I get mixed up and I forget things! Go Everybody! 🏈 ☠

Kelly Boggs

Just an FYI and FWIW: UMHB played in the Stagg Bowl against Linfield in the seventh year of the program.
UMHB alumnus and proud supporter of The CRU. "UP with the PURPLE!" 

"If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, we'd all have a merry Christmas." - Darrell Royal

"Never make excuses. Your friends don't need them and your foes won't believe them." John Wooden

MUC57

Quote from: Kelly Boggs on November 05, 2018, 12:08:21 PM
Just an FYI and FWIW: UMHB played in the Stagg Bowl against Linfield in the seventh year of the program.

Now that's impressive, faster than Mount. Probably faster than anybody. Good stuff!

Pat Coleman

Quote from: MUC57 on November 05, 2018, 12:12:55 PM

Now that's impressive, faster than Mount. Probably faster than anybody. Good stuff!

This is the faster-than-anybody record.

http://www.d3football.com/playoffs/1982
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

MUC57

Thanks Pat. You're always on top of these discussions. So, UMHB, what took you so long? West Georgia certainly beat everybody as far as quickest to a national championship. Sorry I brought up Mount's history. It took us a long time, but, I think, we made up for it.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Pat Coleman on November 05, 2018, 12:48:14 PM

Interesting to see Bishop College, the HBUC that was in South Dallas.

Ron Boerger

Quote from: Pat Coleman on November 05, 2018, 12:48:14 PM

And joined the Division II Gulf South Conference the following season.

BerryCollegeFan

if they make the same progress over the next six years, they should be right in the mix.  The issue is attracting the players with all the higher division schools around.

jamtod

Quote from: BerryCollegeFan on November 06, 2018, 07:16:07 PM

if they make the same progress over the next six years, they should be right in the mix.  The issue is attracting the players with all the higher division schools around.
I've heard it said that the climb from 250 to 10 (or so, I'm spitballing here) is about equal to the climb from 10 to 1. My wife and I had dinner and drinks with a couple (and their children) who graduated from Berry last week. That coupled with playing y'all last year and I'm cheering for you to keep improving

Cedricb313

Second NCAA Regional Ranking for 2018 keeps #2 Berry and #4 Centre at same position. #SAA

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/football/d3/regional-rankings

Pat Coleman

Quote from: Cedricb313 on November 07, 2018, 04:12:46 PM
Second NCAA Regional Ranking for 2018 keeps #2 Berry and #4 Centre at same position. #SAA

Here you go. There's far more info here in terms of data, analysis and discussion:
http://www.d3football.com/playoffs/2018/second-regional-ranking
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

umhb2001

Quote from: SaintsFAN on October 31, 2018, 04:23:15 PM
Quote from: Ron Boerger on October 31, 2018, 04:01:42 PM
UMHB is consistently one of the top 2-4 teams in the country.   The talent level they have for D3 is obscene.   Berry is a very good Division III football team but not at that level.  One way to compare:  Berry had to go to OT to beat Centre (a good team with a good chance for a Pool C bid) and Millsaps (a decent but not outstanding team).   Compare that to what UMHB did in a deeper conference to their Top 10 Pool C-possible opponent, Hardin-Simmons (26-0) and third-place team, TLU (47-14).

In 2010, we alums thought Thomas More ready to "break through" having lost on a last second 50 yard FG to JHU in Round 2 in 2009 -  and having been to the playoffs in both 2008 and 2009. 

So the 2010 TMU team went undefeated through the first 11 games including a 49-14 blowout of ODAC Champion, Washington and Lee.

Then came a second round game AT Mary-Hardin Baylor, before they built the altar de los D3Football.   UMHB fumbled on their first offensive play of the game but still found a way to lead 38-0 at halftime on their way to a 69-7 monkeystomping. 

Their level of athlete was and is pretty incredible.  It forced Thomas More to recruit better... and the program got much better... but still nowhere close to a breakthrough against a UMHB, Mount Union, Whitewater, Saint Johns/St Thomas, Linfield. 

You beat one of those schools and you've officially arrived.  UMHB has earned their lofty #1 or #2 ranking (they are interchangeable with Mount Union, QB issues notwithstanding). 

I remember saying to Pat during the 2016 Stagg Bowl that UMHB seems like they have 13 players on the field on defense.  Speed kills.  Yeah.. they won't wish they had different LBs, unless they play Mount Union.. (MAYBE).

I'm not sure where all of this discussion comes about UMHB not having good LB's. I will admit, I was nervous losing the top returning tackler from last year, but the guys have stepped up to play very well. Nobody stands out, like a Jerell, Javicz, Preston Meyer, and so forth, but they are collectively very good and balanced.
Watch out for the wreckingCRU defense!!