MBB: Great Northeast Athletic Conference

Started by Hoops Fan, December 17, 2004, 12:05:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

goldenpipes

Emerson plays @ Suffolk tonight....only game on tonight's docket. I hear they are expecting a good crowd. I should be able to get there tonight (if I can beat the rush to a seat.)

I saw the first game.....good game, close down the stretch. Emerson had a 16 point lead in the 2nd half and Suffolk cut it to 4 with two minutes to play but couldn't get closer.

Emerson has been playing better lately, especially on the defensive end. No reason to expect anything less than a hard fought game. Should be fun.

I haven't been to Suffolk since the '04 GNAC quarters when Aaron Young went 7-7 from 3-point land to help the Lions beat the Rams...that was a classic.

All-around

I saw that game tonight. Emerson can play man. They are a totally undersized team which plays their butts off. They were completelty the better team and looked like a team that works hard enough to beat anyone. They completely smother the ball handler whenever he gets the ball and the play smart. It will be an interesting couple of weeks in the GNAC...

goldenpipes

Yeah...I was there too. This is typical Emerson- they start slow, roles get defined and then they pick up steam. They'll most likely get at least one home game in the tourney, maybe two depending on the rest of the regular season and who wins in the quarters. They'll be a tough out if they keep defending like this.

Play of the night last night was midway in the 1st half with Suffolk up 22-21. Alfredo Tovar almost created a 10-second violation on his own against John Murphy....Murph has to call a TO right at the 10-second mark to save the posession. That fired up the Lion D and set the tone for the game....then they outscored Suffolk 23-10 to go up 12 at the break. Suffolk cut the lead to 5 at 52-47 but a 9-1 Emerson run closed it out.

And for anyone who was at the game......how bout the fast break dunk by 5'8" Lion Morales Hendricks......up, up and awayyyyyyyyyy! 

All-around

Upset of the day....Emerson over Norwich at NU...Big win for EC, and big loss for NU.....

Emmanuel won.......

Suffolk lost to S.vt...looks like they may be starting to fall apart.....

So now we have

1. Emannuel 12-1
2. Tied Norwich 9-4, Emerson 9-4
3. WNEC 8-5

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

If its not E vs E for the conference tournament crown, I would be very suprised.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

All-around

I saw the Emerson, S.vt game today.

Emerson looks totally different than that suffolk game I saw them in. They seemed to cruise through the game today. They didn't play hard (and that is unlike EC). I dont know why but today they did not look like a good team. Another thing is they got killed by S. vt's guard posting their smaller guards up. S Vt. just lobbed it over their heads numerous times. I think teams in the league may be catching on that Emerson is very small. Hopefully they will be ready for their rematch against Emannuel next wk.

Watch out for WNEC. They beat Norwich today, they can definitly end up in the finals this year.

the_real_gnac

Well last night follows up what i said previously there is going to be alot of upsets in the gnac.WNEC beat Norwich and SVC topped Emerson its coming down to the last couple of games and any slip ups can lead to a difference in tournament play.Good luck to the 8 teams entering the tournament ....any predictions on the all conference team

All-around

My predcitions

1st team-

John Murphy-suffolk
Steve Georgoulis-Emerson
Jon Godbout-WNEC
Rene Cheatham-Norwich

And then you can interchange...Doug Hammond from S.VT, Geoff Hensley from NU...Mike Mcmahon, from Rivier,

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

OK, now any shot of an at-large bid is gone; this tournament should be interesting.  I'm guessing anyone in it has a shot at winning the whole thing.

the_real_gnac

Oh wow you say cheatham 1st team you must either go to norwich or is related to him because there is no was your saying interchange the nations rebounder in hammond with a player like cheatham who is only a solid role player.Im not too sure if you guys are really following the gnac the 1st team should go
Steve georgoulis-Emerson
Doug Hammond- SVC
John Murphy-Suffolk
Jon Godbout- WNEC
and only interchangeable is between MCmahon-Riv and Hensley-Norwich
And as far as POY tough battle between Hammond and Georgoulis

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

So is anyone going to beat Emmanuel?  They've been on quite a roll of late. 

I know there are byes, but does the GNAC do a six team or a ten team tournament?

A lot of things can change this week.

bball fan

Quote from: the_real_gnac on February 13, 2006, 11:09:16 AM
Oh wow you say cheatham 1st team you must either go to norwich or is related to him because there is no was your saying interchange the nations rebounder in hammond with a player like cheatham who is only a solid role player.Im not too sure if you guys are really following the gnac the 1st team should go
Steve georgoulis-Emerson
Doug Hammond- SVC
John Murphy-Suffolk
Jon Godbout- WNEC
and only interchangeable is between MCmahon-Riv and Hensley-Norwich
And as far as POY tough battle between Hammond and Georgoulis

hey i look at this stuff a great deal and im curious as to how you figure cheatham is a solid role player.. just curious have you ever watched him play. not taking anything away from any of those other players but cheatham is a tremendous player with a great upside.. ive been to a great deal of games. but thursday's game nu has against svc should be a good one.

rudebuoyz

svc looses against norwich by 1 point. 76-75....very good game. i definitely think svc is going to surprise the GNAC in the playoffs. they lost by a buzzer beatermade by cheatem with less than a second left on the clock. very exciting game it was.it was also interesting to see svc's hammonds match off with cheatam...Svc's hammond definitely did his usual thing grabbing 15 rebounds and having 19 points while cheatem put 20 pts in the bucket with a number of rebounds too. but the difference came whjen svc who was loosing by 13 with 5 minutes left on the clock came back on a run to lead the game by a point with 9 secs left on the clock. considering that svc virtually has no bench, fatigue contributed to their loss which was shown in the team captain bonnet missing a clutch freethrow to catch up with norwich late in the second half. Henslely of nu proved how legitimate a guard he is in the clucth period by managing to find open men for a clutch bucket.

the_real_gnac

i actually witnessed cheatham play a couple games dont get me wrong he is a good player but he is not much of a consitant threat. very good player but i would say 2nd team. the playoff brackets are going to be very interesting.i predict a couple of shockers but none consisting of emmanuel they will be playing in the championship saturday. tuesdays match ups are going to be interesting but how teams have ben playing as of lately it wouldnt shock me to see an emmanuel vs svc in the gnac championship . great season to all coaches and players now lets see what happens in tournamen time

goldenpipes

Yeah, SVC is playing as well as anyone right now aside from Emmanuel. Aside from the Saints, I think any of the teams can find their way to the finals if they play well.
As far as I can see, here are the quarterfinal matchups for Tuesday:

8-Riv @ 1-Emmanuel
7-SVC @ 2-Norwich
6-Suffolk@3-WNEC
5-J & W @ 4-Emerson

How wacky is the GNAC? SVC lost 2 close games vs. Norwich...but Suffolk beat WNEC twice, JW beat Emerson twice, and WNEC beat Norwich twice...and Emerson has played everyone tougher on the road than at Pine Manor. Aside from Emmanuel making the semis, I can't make a guess on who else advances with them until Tuesday night around 11. The 5-6-7 seeds are much better than in past tourneys. All 4 top seeds have usually advanced in the past- I bet that is NOT the case after Tuesday.

It's ON...