FB: Ohio Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:05:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wally_wabash

Quote from: emma17 on April 12, 2018, 09:22:11 AM
All the contentiousness aside, I'm curious to see if Poorman truly can bring UMHB a championship, or even be an effective starter for them. As for Poorman being able to "start for any team in the country", I assume this statement shouldn't be taken literally- right?
Heck, I don't know if Fulford could start for any team in the country. His style works great in the Mt system, which features stud athletes at receiver and a likely underrated offensive line. Underrated or not, they are very good and the QB benefits from the multiple weapons on offense.

I guess we don't really know for sure, but from what I saw in person at the Stagg Bowl on a field cram jam full of the best players in DIII, Fulford stood out.  It wasn't his best game (wind and UMHB's defense had a lot to do with that), but athletically he was just different that the rest of the guys on the field.  Guys who, again, are already among the best players in the division.  I don't think any team is worse with Fulford playing quarterback and I'm sure 99% of teams would be better. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

SaintsFAN

All the contentiousness aside, I'm curious to see if Poorman truly can bring UMHB a championship, or even be an effective starter for them. As for Poorman being able to "start for any team in the country", I assume this statement shouldn't be taken literally- right?
Heck, I don't know if Fulford could start for any team in the country. His style works great in the Mt system, which features stud athletes at receiver and a likely underrated offensive line. Underrated or not, they are very good and the QB benefits from the multiple weapons on offense.

To me, the question is whether or not the handcuffs are taken off the MHB offense come playoff time, unlike last year. 
AMC Champs: 1991-1992-1993-1994-1995
HCAC Champs: 2000, 2001
PAC Champs:  2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
Bridge Bowl Champs:  1990-1991-1992-1993-1994-1995-2002-2003-2006-2008-2009-2010-2011-2012-2013 (SERIES OVER)
Undefeated: 1991, 1995, 2001, 2009, 2010, 2015
Instances where MSJ quit the Bridge Bowl:  2

Jonny Utah

So Fulford has a "hearing" on 4/20 for a felony juvenile incident that happened almost 3 years ago.  What is this hearing for?  It has been 2.5 years, I'm assuming the PC hearings and indictment processes should be over.  Is it a trail?  Plea? Probation surrender or issue? 

emma17

Quote from: wally_wabash on April 12, 2018, 09:53:53 AM

I guess we don't really know for sure, but from what I saw in person at the Stagg Bowl on a field cram jam full of the best players in DIII, Fulford stood out.  It wasn't his best game (wind and UMHB's defense had a lot to do with that), but athletically he was just different that the rest of the guys on the field.  Guys who, again, are already among the best players in the division.  I don't think any team is worse with Fulford playing quarterback and I'm sure 99% of teams would be better.

I agree with you he is a heck of an athlete. For the record and Mt fans I'm not trying to make a case that he didn't have a great season or that he won't be great going forward.
He did have Hill and Ruth making plays. He threw two picks.
In the UWO game he was amazingly accurate in the second half. However, when UWO actually tried to pressure him, he threw a pick six. Most of that game he played a 7 on 7 passing game and made good throws while some receivers made great catches. I don't recall exactly, but I think he struggled vs JCU.
I just don't know that because Mt won the Stagg that makes Fulford the best of all D3 and his backup the second best of all D3.

Frank Rossi

Quote from: Jonny Utah on April 12, 2018, 12:37:47 PM
So Fulford has a "hearing" on 4/20 for a felony juvenile incident that happened almost 3 years ago.  What is this hearing for?  It has been 2.5 years, I'm assuming the PC hearings and indictment processes should be over.  Is it a trail?  Plea? Probation surrender or issue?

Jonny -

Let me clear this up a bit.  The event(s) being described by the State of Florida as a 3rd Degree Felony (battery/great bodily harm) occurred on or about 8/4/2015.  Charges were not filed related to the event(s) until 11/16/2016.  The papers were filed directly into adult court, with the alleged victim's name redacted.  There was no further docket activity related to this case after the warrant was issued/his charges were posted until Fulford's attorney filed a Notice of Appearance on 11/21/2017 (soon after the Ohio traffic ticket situation).  An agreement had been reached that extradition would be waived if Fulford appeared for arrest no later than 12/22/2017.  He turned himself in at that time.  Subsequent to his immediate release, the docket is only reflecting discovery-based documents.  For instance, witness lists and evidence lists have been posted by the State of Florida.  The most recent filing was two weeks ago, as the State corrected two of their witnesses' addresses.

There was a calendar call held on 2/23/2018 that I attended, in which the parties requested additional time to continue their discovery.  The next calendar call will be 4/20/2018 (next Friday).  From my discussion with Fulford's attorney, depositions were to begin during this interim period to try to solidify Fulford's claim of non-involvement related to any harmful acts that might have occurred, if any.  I did not pursue discussion about this active case with Fulford last night, as I can appreciate where they are in the case.  But as I suggested, Fulford is trusting the process and working with his attorney throughout this, as he should.  Long story short, this case has only been truly active since late-November 2017, meaning less than six months have elapsed. 

The likelihood here (and this is where my conjecture begins, folks) is that the State of Florida is attempting to grandstand with its litany of witnesses in hopes of pushing a somewhat harsh misdemeanor plea bargain ultimately.  I don't believe this will or should go to trial.  But as we saw with Wheaton, the jockeying behind the scenes can be long and methodical before someone actually pushes forward an offer and a defendant bites.  I doubt he sees jail time at all here, but there will likely be community service attached and some type of probation if this thing goes to a plea bargain settlement.  Again, this paragraph is legal conjecture on my part and nothing more.

Hope that helps clear up where things are.

emma17

I imagine there are a variety of answers for this question, I'm interested in hearing some.
If people are so aggrieved by an action perpetrated by an individual or group of people, why the heck does it take them so long to file charges? 

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: emma17 on April 12, 2018, 02:38:23 PM
I imagine there are a variety of answers for this question, I'm interested in hearing some.
If people are so aggrieved by an action perpetrated by an individual or group of people, why the heck does it take them so long to file charges?

I don't think it took them a long time to file the charges, for starters... it has just taken a long time for the case to "start" since the person in question didn't respond to those charging documents (thus the reason for the warrant).

Another thought: sometimes an investigation does take a long time for a variety of reasons: cooperative witnesses, other evidence that takes awhile to collect, etc. Things don't move as quickly as TV shows make them seem. In reality, cases can take a very long time (for good and bad reasons) to come together.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

joelmama

But the charging documents took 15 months to file.  That is a long time for any crime IMO.

Jonny Utah

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on April 12, 2018, 02:41:16 PM
Quote from: emma17 on April 12, 2018, 02:38:23 PM

I don't think it took them a long time to file the charges, for starters... it has just taken a long time for the case to "start" since the person in question didn't respond to those charging documents (thus the reason for the warrant).

Another thought: sometimes an investigation does take a long time for a variety of reasons: cooperative witnesses, other evidence that takes awhile to collect, etc. Things don't move as quickly as TV shows make them seem. In reality, cases can take a very long time (for good and bad reasons) to come together.

I'm guessing they issued the warrant because it was a felony and many states simply issue a warrant if there is probable cause that a felony occurred. 

Sometimes in HS violence issues, the parents don't like the schools response and instead they go to the police on their own.  So maybe this was pushed by someones parents to go forward?

Frank Rossi

That's essentially my take on why the Wheaton charges took over a year to file, as the school's response was deemed lackluster by the main alleged victim and his family.

raiderpa

With Jakmides as his attorney, he will get the best possible representation and I would not be surprised if he walks away, clean.  This kind of thing is Jakmides' wheelhouse and he thrives in this setting.  If my kid were in serious trouble (guilty or innocent) Jakmides would be the call.  The guy is better than Perry Mason...lol

Frank Rossi

Michael Dutko is his attorney, as I stated last night.

merlecanlas

Quote from: HScoach on April 12, 2018, 08:13:01 AM
^  his mom hasn't gotten him up for school yet

Sorry I was in a meeting at work at 8:15 this morning. Did I miss Frank apologizing to me after he finally interviewed Fulford about his "motivation and drive"?

I'm such a dullard that I can't possibly be expected to read all of these posts, plus I'm out bullying.  No time to read d3boards

Frank Rossi

Merle -

A few things.  First, I did not "interview[] Fulford."  We had a discussion, and I relayed a few things to clear the air.  I am not permitted to interview him without the school's and his attorney's permission.  Second, the statements about his motivation and drive ran a lot deeper than anything you've said on here, and he stated on his own volition that Poorman and Davis made him better.  He agrees that there's the potential to become complacent but explained where he will derive his drive and motivation over the next two years.  Why not focus on his words instead of continuing to be a douche?  But finally, he agreed flat out, after having seen your comments on here that you're not exactly helping him because you stir the pot and draw unwelcome attention to him.  I'm sure there were much more exciting things he could've been doing last night than talking to me for over 40 minutes.  Yet, because you just kept pressing buttons, he felt the need to clear the air.  If you're truly a fan of his and want to see the best result for him, then all I can say is, "Merle, stop your BS."  I don't know who took screenshots and showed him, but it was clear he saw both sides of this brawl and cringed at it all.

merlecanlas

Quote from: Frank Rossi on April 12, 2018, 04:07:14 PM
Merle -

A few things.  First, I did not "interview[] Fulford."  We had a discussion, and I relayed a few things to clear the air.  I am not permitted to interview him without the school's and his attorney's permission.  Second, the statements about his motivation and drive ran a lot deeper than anything you've said on here, and he stated on his own volition that Poorman and Davis made him better.  He agrees that there's the potential to become complacent but explained where he will derive his drive and motivation over the next two years.  Why not focus on his words instead of continuing to be a douche?  But finally, he agreed flat out, after having seen your comments on here that you're not exactly helping him because you stir the pot and draw unwelcome attention to him.  I'm sure there were much more exciting things he could've been doing last night than talking to me for over 40 minutes.  Yet, because you just kept pressing buttons, he felt the need to clear the air.  If you're truly a fan of his and want to see the best result for him, then all I can say is, "Merle, stop your BS."  I don't know who took screenshots and showed him, but it was clear he saw both sides of this brawl and cringed at it all.

that wasn't me.  But I am happy to be done with this whole mess and get back to ripping on JCU, UMHB and the Wisconsin schools.  I look forward to you covering whatever unlucky East school(s) get sent to Mount in the postseason/