Standardization in officiating - Men vs Women

Started by sumfun, December 08, 2008, 04:11:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sumfun

I'm so tired of watching the women's game being called so much tighter than the men's game.  It would be one thing if there were different rules like in ice hockey or lacrosse where there is no body checking for the women.  The rules are the same in women's basketball yet the smallest reach in or touch on the arm is a foul.  Was watching games in Northeast this weekend and the men were all over eachother and allowed to play the women were actually laughing at the ticky tacky fouls being called.  The teams laughing were not the ones that had the foul called, but the other team, shaking their head saying that wasn't a foul.  Wish there was something that can be done to let the women play and keep the flow of the game.

thebear

Not seeing that here.  Our men & women are both averaging 35 PF's per game (both teams).  In fact, I think the girls actually get away with a little more contact, both bringing the ball up, and defending on breakaways.

This weekend, several of us observed that in the men's game, if so inclined, the refs could call a foul on someone almost every play.  They don't and that is partly to keep the flow of the game.  Coaches are partially to blame when they start fouling down 15 with 3 minutes left and the game becomes a ft shooting contest.  Post play is becoming brutal, almost everyone seems to have a 6-6, 6-7 240# post player, sometimes more that one.

Do wish they were more consistent, there are a lot of fouls on missed inside shots/layups that aren't called, but all too frequently I see the same play on a made basket - it seems then they regularly add the and one.
"Just the Facts, Ma'am, Just the Facts"
- Sgt. Joe Friday

Just Bill

Sumfun, where are you located?  I ask because I see bigger regional differences in women's officiating more so than differences between men's and women's.

From my experience, the eastern portion of the country calls women's games far tighter than the midwest does.  I know a a handful of women's coaches who traveled east and were shocked how far they have to back off to avoid fouls.  Vice versa, I've seen east coast coaches take their teams to the midwest and be suprised at how physical the games were.

I guess it's mostly a matter of perception.
"That seems silly and pointless..." - Hoops Fan

The first and still most accurate description of the D3 Championship BeltTM thread.

sac

Every women's game I've seen I would have called very physical and the officials let it be that way.  I do think they do a better job of makeing sure the women don't play defense with their hands.

I do find the number of jump balls called in a women's game to be extremely high.  Your lucky if you see one or two in a men's game.  I've witnessed several women's games where that number aproaches double-digits.  Its a weird oddity, one that I can't really explain.

I'm sure officiating is a regional thing, the same differences of opinion on officiating have been expressed elsewhere on this site on the men's side.  Midwest more physical, East less so.

sumfun

I live in the Midwest and watch some games here.  Travel often to Northeast.  I definately agree that game is called tighter in the east, particularly the travel call.  I often want to say that what the ref saw wasn't a travel....they just haven't seen moves that good in the woman's game.

twoblindrefs

Sumfun....in response to your post:

Go to www.eofficials.com and register as a free user. Then, go to the NCAA affiliates area on that site and go under "men's basketball" and "women's basketball". You will note there are significant differences in the NCAA interpretations of the rules from the material there. The eofficials website is the website all officials and coaches use to receive updates as to in-season issues. It may help those regulars on this board identify some of the rationals for calls being made.

If you read further, it appears Mr. Adams, interpreter of the men's side, if trying to bring more "absolutes" (meaning absolutely a foul) into the men's game to make it more standard......but it appears his guidance is leaning towards cleaning up the flow of the game and calling some of the "flow interupters" like hand checks to clean up that flow.

The interpretations of the post play and hand checking areas are significantly different and that is the reason for the differences in what you are seeing when comparing a men's game to a women's game.

I hope this helps clarify.

Dan