MBB: USA South Conference

Started by CNU85, March 16, 2005, 12:28:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scottiedoug

Maybe Chong needs to follow Myles' hairstyle to bolster consistency. I was there for the McCord miracle and it surely was one.

mattgrubb

What a nice win for Murvul over a strong Piedmont team. Owens-Clements and Jolly are strong for sophomores, Quick is a nice player, and Foote is always impressive. Murvul finally has what good D3 teams need: Depth. I look for some great games between Piedmont and Murvul next year. Great job by both teams in this weird time. The mental toughness they showed and adversity they conquered will make them much better next year when they get back to normal.

For Coach P, what a difference a year makes. Last year he lost so many close games and we all thought it was because of coaching, but apparently it was due to youth. We think. Great performances by several players in the championship game made Coach P look like a better coach. Hopefully this restarts the habit for the Scots, champions win, if it's the makeshift western division USA south conference championship or the real thing or a  pick up game, champions win. Hope to see these guys win a lot more and bring Coach P and McCord along for the ride.

scottiedoug

How do you recruit to a team so loaded already?

Let's hope next year gives all of the teams a chance to play lots of ball and against good opponents. 

mattgrubb

You get guys that are better if they want to play.  The Scots return everyone, except Griswold unless he chooses to return, and should be in the national spotlight next year.  Their strengths will be PG, Wing, and Post play.  The need a bigger big and a stronger wing player to truly compete as in they need some muscle.  The top teams are very strong teams, like JR just taller.  These guys will be even better next year!

scottiedoug

Mr. Grubby:  Weight room? Let's hope everyone stays healthy and does well at the school part of college. I look forward to watching this group compete more broadly than the USASouth and think they are scheduling some of that.

Titan Q

My conversation with Raul Placeres, Head MBB Coach at #23-Maryville (TN).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVXOrGYsNoY

0:00 Raul's path to Maryville
3:41 Growing up in Miami
6:03 Mariel Boatlift; parents decision to leave Cuba
7:59 Playing professional basketball; becoming a HS head coach
9:56 Joining Coach Lambert's staff at Maryville
11:38 Maryville's D3 tradition
13:33 2020-21 season - winning the conf regular season and tourney
15:19 Loaded 2021-22 roster (including 2 D1 transfers)
18:51 2021-22 schedule
22:41 Scheduling philosophy
25:15 Difference in D3 MBB geographies; impact on recruiting
29:21 USA South conference
31:21 Travel in D3
32:31 Preseason #23 ranking
33:52 Building a culture at Maryville
35:34 Cafecito
36:39 Final thoughts

scottiedoug

The interview with Coach P. was great!  Thanks! Go Scots!

scottiedoug

OK, now that the Real Scots have finished 2021 11-1 and won two at the D3Hoops Classic in Las Vegas, I declare that Raul's team looks pretty good.

scottiedoug

Coach Placeres' interview at the D3 Hoops showcase reveals what is good about D3 sports.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3O5unfI2xwQ

mattgrubb

scottiedoug

Ryan Scott's musings in D3Hoops about this season and who is a contender nationally mention's Maryville as a possible "surprise" from a conference not usually thought to be a contender.  This is a first, I think!

scottiedoug

So are the Real Scots so much better than everyone else that nobody in the USASouth fanbase plays in D3 Hoops any more?

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Hoopsville is airing at 1:00 PM today and for the next several shows (due to schedule conflicts).

Here is what we have on tap today in terms of guests:
- Jordan Olufson, Webster women's coach
- Meg Barber, #9 NYU women's coach
- Sean Foster, Salve Regina men's coach
- Raul Placeres, #16 Maryville men's coach
- Ryan Scott & Mike Rejniak, Men's Top 25 Double-Take

We will recap the NCAA Convention and hit on some other notes as well.

Again, starting at 1:00 PM ET today. Watch the show here (or On Demand if you missed it): www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville/archives/2021-22/jan24
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Pat Coleman

Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.