FB: Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:19:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OzJohnnie

Quote from: SagatagSam on September 14, 2021, 10:05:30 PM
Quote from: OzJohnnie on September 14, 2021, 06:50:06 PM
The big move has been made. Links everywhere are broken.

Gary's interview with VOJ was pretty good this week. No rose colored glasses to be found.  (I forgot to listen earlier so had good audio for the dog walk this morning.)

https://portal.stretchinternet.com/csbsju/full.htm?eventId=651065&streamType=audio

I missed it. Can I get the cliff notes?

Defense needs personnel work and there will be some changes in the secondary.  The LB's need to play better.  D-line was good but two starters were injured.

Offense missed early opportunities to be up 21-0 and that changed the game.  Six dropped passes.  Was satisfied with the running game.
O-line played well but the D-lines at BU and GAC will be better than AU so still to be seen if that's a strong unit.

Essentially, a lot of improvement available and needed to compete with the other strong MIAC teams.
[  

BDB

Great to be hanging out in Region 6 Football land! I guess we are Midwest and Island-ish. 

I get the Midwest part, but if we are "ish" anything it would be cold-ish, beer-ish, lake-ish, hunt-ish and fish-ish!

But island-ish?  ???   Must be obvious to everyone but moi.  ::)   :P

Pat Coleman

In Division III we refer to the west coast teams and the Texas teams as being "on an island" because they don't generally have any drivable playoff games and must fly.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

BDB

Ha. Got it. And here I was just digging out the flip flops, cocoanut mugs and paper umbrella stir sticks to make some banana daiquiri's.

I'll just keep the shades on and cool down some Hamm's then.  8-)

hazzben

Wondering how the move this year to 6 regions might affect non-con scheduling. Do ARC teams still fit the bill for MIAC schools? I would assume so. But would those schools be more likely to look East to the CCIW now than they have been in the past?

jknezek

Quote from: hazzben on September 15, 2021, 11:07:06 AM
Wondering how the move this year to 6 regions might affect non-con scheduling. Do ARC teams still fit the bill for MIAC schools? I would assume so. But would those schools be more likely to look East to the CCIW now than they have been in the past?

It really shouldn't matter. It's almost impossible to play an "out of region" game in a D3 vs D3 football game. So unless you simply want a head to head comparison for Pool C or Playoff positioning, whether you play someone in your designated region or not has little bearing on anything. You might get to the Pool C table faster with a h2h over a same region opponent, but you might get off the Pool C table faster with a h2h over a different region opponent. Assuming the h2h matters either directly or once removed. But trying to schedule based on those odds? Really, really difficult. I suspect OOC games will continue to be functions of the same factors they've always been: cost (distance), state of the program (challenge up or pad down), open dates, and desperation.

DuffMan

Quote from: OzJohnnie on September 14, 2021, 11:48:07 PM
Defense needs personnel work and there will be some changes in the secondary.  The LB's need to play better.  D-line was good but two starters were injured.

Unfortunately, I don't think MLC is going to help SJU flesh out much defensively.  :-[

A tradition unrivaled...
MIAC Champions: 1932, 1935, 1936, 1938, 1953, 1962, 1963, 1965, 1971, 1974, 1975, 1976, 1977, 1979, 1982, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2021, 2022
National Champions: 1963, 1965, 1976, 2003

hazzben

Quote from: jknezek on September 15, 2021, 11:13:02 AM

It really shouldn't matter. It's almost impossible to play an "out of region" game in a D3 vs D3 football game. So unless you simply want a head to head comparison for Pool C or Playoff positioning, whether you play someone in your designated region or not has little bearing on anything. You might get to the Pool C table faster with a h2h over a same region opponent, but you might get off the Pool C table faster with a h2h over a different region opponent. Assuming the h2h matters either directly or once removed. But trying to schedule based on those odds? Really, really difficult. I suspect OOC games will continue to be functions of the same factors they've always been: cost (distance), state of the program (challenge up or pad down), open dates, and desperation.

I actually thought of it the other way. In the ARC, there's a pretty good chance, year over year, that Wartburg and Central will be in the hunt for the title. They are also now in a region that includes the CCIW, but not the MIAC, NWC, and WIAC. I think their chance of getting ranked, and ranked higher than in the past, has now increased. So say Wartburg goes 9-1 and wins the ARC and their lone loss is to GAC. That's a net win for GAC, especially given that a 1 loss Wartburg probably gets ranked higher in the new Region 5 than they would in Region 6 or the former West region.

AO

Quote from: hazzben on September 15, 2021, 03:03:34 PM
Quote from: jknezek on September 15, 2021, 11:13:02 AM

I actually thought of it the other way. In the ARC, there's a pretty good chance, year over year, that Wartburg and Central will be in the hunt for the title. They are also now in a region that includes the CCIW, but not the MIAC, NWC, and WIAC. I think their chance of getting ranked, and ranked higher than in the past, has now increased. So say Wartburg goes 9-1 and wins the ARC and their lone loss is to GAC. That's a net win for GAC, especially given that a 1 loss Wartburg probably gets ranked higher in the new Region 5 than they would in Region 6 or the former West region.
The committee can still evaluate each region to determine if a game against #2 in region 4 is the same as #2 in region 3, etc.  Getting to the table first has also not helped many teams looking for bids, but it's better than not getting to the table at all I suppose.

OzJohnnie

https://gojohnnies.com/documents/2021/9/15//091821_MartinLuther_GameNotes.pdf?id=1532

Unexpected fact from the game notes.  Syverson had the most passing yards on debut of any Johnnie, ever.
[  

MadRedFan

Quote from: OzJohnnie on September 14, 2021, 11:48:07 PM
Quote from: SagatagSam on September 14, 2021, 10:05:30 PM
Quote from: OzJohnnie on September 14, 2021, 06:50:06 PM
The big move has been made. Links everywhere are broken.

Gary's interview with VOJ was pretty good this week. No rose colored glasses to be found.  (I forgot to listen earlier so had good audio for the dog walk this morning.)

https://portal.stretchinternet.com/csbsju/full.htm?eventId=651065&streamType=audio

I missed it. Can I get the cliff notes?

Offense missed early opportunities to be up 21-0 and that changed the game.  Six dropped passes.  Was satisfied with the running game.
O-line played well but the D-lines at BU and GAC will be better than AU so still to be seen if that's a strong unit.

Essentially, a lot of improvement available and needed to compete with the other strong MIAC teams.

2 new starters in the D backfield, one CB and one S, altho both new guys played quite a bit if I recall correctly. So we'll see how much improvement actually takes place.

OzJohnnie

Quote from: MadRedFan on September 15, 2021, 05:54:56 PM
2 new starters in the D backfield, one CB and one S, altho both new guys played quite a bit if I recall correctly. So we'll see how much improvement actually takes place.

You prompted me to check the game notes.  Wade Jr, Sr, #20 is in for Theisen, Sr, #22 at CB.  Cisneros, So, #10 is in for Saxon, Jr, #24 at S.  The rest of the D remains the same, including the injured D-linemen.   Offense is unchanged.

It's a tough gig being a starter and disheartening to be dropped, but if everyone can stay focused on doing their best and contributing when they get the opportunity then you never know where a team can go.
[  

DuffMan

So we'll see how much improvement actually takes place.

It'll be tough to judge as MLC has been passing for a whopping 50.5 yards per game.

A tradition unrivaled...
MIAC Champions: 1932, 1935, 1936, 1938, 1953, 1962, 1963, 1965, 1971, 1974, 1975, 1976, 1977, 1979, 1982, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2021, 2022
National Champions: 1963, 1965, 1976, 2003

ChicagoTommie

Hello Gents!

Have not been around in a while...I Haven't been in the betting game in a while, since I lost my a$$ once a long time ago.  Can you actually bet on the Tommies Iowa Game??? 

"Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that."

"When I played pro football, I never set out to hurt anyone deliberately - unless it was, you know, important, like a league game or something." - Dick Butkus

sjusection105

Quote from: DuffMan on September 16, 2021, 08:58:56 AM
So we'll see how much improvement actually takes place.

It'll be tough to judge as MLC has been passing for a whopping 50.5 yards per game.
Stuffing the run may force MLC to throw........but I wouldn't count on them turning into Air Raid offense ;)
As of now they're on DOUBLE SECRET Probation!