2021 Game Notes

Started by SimpleCoach, September 03, 2021, 06:33:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimpleCoach

North Park v Washington         5:00
Washington
Bias? – I know not of North Park, and my niece went to Washington University.

   31 in.  North Park 0, WashU 1.
   Just tuned in and WashU had a dead ball outside the box and drilled a ball that found its way into the back of the net.  North Park 0, WashU 2
   That was a screamer of a shot.
   North Park too slow.
   Bouncing in and out so now I see its North Park 1, WashU 2.  Will pay better attention in the 2nd half.
   9 minutes left. Pace has picked up for NP and are getting dangerous.
   NP does move the ball in the midfield well.  WashU seems to be defending quite a bit and don't have the energy they had earlier in the half.
   WashU needs to get and keep control of the ball.  NPU doesn't send the ball long very often.  Move up as a team.  Vulnerable when they lose it.
   NPU defends with 8.
   NPU spreads the field and tries to isolate a man one on one.
   WashU defend with 9.
   NPU has a few talented players in the middle.  Can really dictate the play when they have the ball.
   Neither team is getting terribly dangerous.  This is a battle for control of the ball in the middle of the field.
   Halftime.  North Park University 1, Washington University 2.
   WashU is perfectly content keeping NPU in front of them.  With 37 left, they can afford to be focused on keeping the ball in front of them.
   NPU needs to move more quickly.... Quicker ... or just quickly.  Sort of just letting WashU have this game.
   WashU being disciplined and not letting themselves get caught out of shape or pressed to high up the field.  If I were the coach of NPU I would have my wings as far wide as possible and try to get them the ball.  Force some movement.  Alas, I am not said coach.
   NPU is trying to force it even when they are in good spaces.  25 minutes left.
   WashU has to be careful with silly turnovers that NPU can take advantage of in the final third.  Couple sloppy passes led to some sticky situations in front of goal.
   NPU going up against a wall of 7 players at times.  Makes that last pass very difficult to make.
   By and large, think NPU had the better of the play in the second half, but WashU is very disciplined defensively.
   And WashU takes advantage of a free kick that bounced around and buries it with 12 minutes left.  North Park University 1, Washington U 3.
   Think that's it for me.  10 minutes left.  One more game on the docket....

Mr.Right

Quote from: d4_Pace on September 11, 2021, 06:03:37 PM
The #5 you mentioned is Calvin Aroh who along with German at Amherst is the best player in the country. He comes across as slow at times on film but when you watch in person you see is everywhere defensively and breaks up counter attacks single handedly. Then with the ball he is very clean, mainly keeps it simple and helps set the pace for Tufts along with 13 van Brewer.

Is he also known as King Calvin? Word is he loves the grand entrance....Frosh have to carry the big King down to the field on gamedays...It takes 4 of them...people say they can hear each Frosh mumbling under his breath the whole way...Apparently, Aroh hearing the mumbling demands silence ..It is a whole production especially for D3 soccer but I suppose Yes I would rather him on my team as well.

Gregory Sager

NPU gets one back again, but there's only 47 seconds left.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Gregory Sager

Disappointing loss for NPU. Wash U was simply more disciplined in the back third today than the Vikings were. Both teams kept nice shape defensively, but a couple too many mistakes in the back by the Vikings against a Bears team that is much more opportunistic than Wash U has been in recent seasons. Even so, there were plenty of chances to be had, as the Vikings did a nice job in particular at working the left touchline with Lundeen and then pinching in at the midpoint of the box, but they couldn't connect.

It would not shock me if these two teams saw each other again somewhere down the road.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

PaulNewman

The #5 you mentioned is Calvin Aroh who along with German at Amherst is the best player in the country. He comes across as slow at times on film but when you watch in person you see is everywhere defensively and breaks up counter attacks single handedly. Then with the ball he is very clean, mainly keeps it simple and helps set the pace for Tufts along with 13 van Brewer.

The claim of best player in the country certainly could be true, but not sure how you can make that judgment.  Is he better than van Brewer?  Not any players from the West Coast who might be in the running?  One or two from Messiah or Calvin?  Hector Gomez from OWU?  No one in the entire UAA?

Gregory Sager

Quote from: PaulNewman on September 11, 2021, 07:30:31 PM

The claim of best player in the country certainly could be true, but not sure how you can make that judgment.  Is he better than van Brewer?  Not any players from the West Coast who might be in the running?  One or two from Messiah or Calvin?  Hector Gomez from OWU?  No one in the entire UAA?

And, although NPU's Peder Olsen didn't have a great game today, he's a box-to-box midfielder who has scored well over 100 points over the course of his career

WUPHF

Thanks guys for the thoughts on the game in St. Louis today.

Expectations are as high as they have been in years so no surprises here.

A quick shot out to Matt Martin who had two go by him today, but is otherwise a very steady between the posts.

SimpleCoach

Messiah v Muhlenberg            7:00
Muhlenberg
Bias? – Handel was a heck of a composer, and I coached a player at Muhlenberg.

   Love the grass field.   Looks like it has a fungus issue though in the one corner.
   Impressed with how Messiah moves the ball and keeps control.  Muhlenberg chasing right now.
   Muhlenberg just can't get control of the ball.
   Lose about 30 out, and a Messiah player slides to pass the ball out wide left.  Rather than mindlessly cross the ball, he passes it on the ground to the 18 to player with his back to the goal.  #6 from Muhlenberg has the opportunity to clear the ball but hits it to the far side to a Muhlenberg player who takes a touch and hits a beautiful ball far post for the first goal of the game.  Keeper had no chance.  Messiah 1, Muhlenberg 0.  40 minutes left in the half.
   Messiah is very intelligent on the press from Muhlenberg.  Use it against them in one-on-one situations.
   With 37 minutes left, Muhlenberg looks average.  Messiah at a different level.  They understand where everyone is supposed to be.  Meanwhile Muhlenberg just dives into every play.
   Messiah keeper is a little shaky on corners.
   Messiah takes a touch to control the ball, then a touch to pass it.  As a result they move the ball too quickly for Muhlenberg to react in midfield.  With 28 left they seem to be owning the game.
   Also enjoy that they aim to get the ball on the deck as soon as possible. 
   Messiah also always goes to space whether they are passing it, or going into traffic, they are always turning away from pressure.
   I could see Muhlenberg picking up a scrappy goal because Messiah can be too cute for their own good.
   And like that Muhlenberg wins a tackle and ball goes to a forward who faces up a defender, touches it right, and buries it back stick from about the 18.  24 minutes left in the half.  Messiah 1, Muhlenberg 1.
   Muhlenberg's goal was the result of grit, and a talented forward.  Don't think they have done much beyond that.
   Messiah looks a little rattled after the goal.  Need to get some composure back.
   Don't dive in, don't dive in, don't dive in.
   Messiah is the much better soccer team.  Muhlenberg is the much better college soccer team.
   15 minutes left.  Messiah basically subs the entire team in two or three waves.  And didn't skip a beat.  What luxury.
   Defensively, Messiah seems to have a lot of miscommunication between the midfield and defenders.  Its your ball ... no its your ... no, yours....
   Muhlenberg thrives when it is a bit chaotic.  Its evened out and now is a battle for control of the midfield.  Think Messiah still has the edge, but Muhlenberg making much tougher for them.
   Halftime
   Messiah moves so well off the ball, anticipating how a play can develop.  Pretty impressive to see.  Just break down in the final third.  Looking for the perfect pass.
   The center back Muhlenberg captain is very good.
   Every time Messiah has the ball, there are stretches where it just looks like a big game of keep away.  How Muhlenberg is able to keep up is beyond me.  They really haven't threatened for 20 minutes.
   Messiah works the ball down their right side a lot.  Looking to spring the wing behind the defender so he can cross the ball.  If I were the coach would be calling for them to look to exploit the gaps between the two center backs.  They look a little ragged.
   Not sure they realize it but the more Messiah slows the ball down in the attack, the easier it is to defend against.
   Messiah has this kid called McDonald .. I think.  He is a pretty good imposing forward.
   Muhlenberg may not have hear me the first time.... Don't dive in, don't dive in, don't dive in.
   8 minutes left and can totally see this game ending.
   Messiah keeper has a mullet.
   Gotten a bit chaotic again.
   Game is deadlocked at 1.  End of 2nd half.  On to OT.  Second game in one day heading into OT.
   Could see this playing out and remaining 1-1.  Although a defensive error could happen...
   I stand corrected, Messiah keeper is very good.  Great distribution.
   End of first OT.
   At this point, think I am done.  Think Messiah is a heck of a team that is easily in the top 5.  Only reason I am not saying the best is because they don't seem to have a clear path to scoring.  Might just be the game.
   Ok.  8 left and calling it an evening.

SimpleCoach

Ok.  Now it's the Top 33.  Not sure I will be able to catch any games over the next few days, but will try.

As of 9.12.2021
1   Messiah
2   Amherst
3   NYU
4   Tufts
5   Ohio Wesleyan
6   Calvin
7   Washington University
8   Franklin & Marshall
9   Montclair State
10   Hope
11   Muhlenberg
12   North Park
13   Carnegie Mellon
14   Williams
15   Ohio Northern
16   Haverford
17   Emory
18   Stockton
19   Willamette
20   Washington & Lee
21   Plattsburgh
22   John Carroll
23   Mount Union
24   Clarkson
25   Trine
26   Catholic
27   Mary Hardin Baylor
28   Rutgers-Newark
29   Cabrini
30   Bates
31   Cairn
32   Eastern Connecticut
33   Marymount

Centennial1

Quote from: SimpleCoach on September 11, 2021, 09:10:04 PM
Messiah v Muhlenberg            7:00
Muhlenberg
Bias? – Handel was a heck of a composer, and I coached a player at Muhlenberg.

   Love the grass field.   Looks like it has a fungus issue though in the one corner.
   Impressed with how Messiah moves the ball and keeps control.  Muhlenberg chasing right now.
   Muhlenberg just can't get control of the ball.
   Lose about 30 out, and a Messiah player slides to pass the ball out wide left.  Rather than mindlessly cross the ball, he passes it on the ground to the 18 to player with his back to the goal.  #6 from Muhlenberg has the opportunity to clear the ball but hits it to the far side to a Muhlenberg player who takes a touch and hits a beautiful ball far post for the first goal of the game.  Keeper had no chance.  Messiah 1, Muhlenberg 0.  40 minutes left in the half.
   Messiah is very intelligent on the press from Muhlenberg.  Use it against them in one-on-one situations.
   With 37 minutes left, Muhlenberg looks average.  Messiah at a different level.  They understand where everyone is supposed to be.  Meanwhile Muhlenberg just dives into every play.
   Messiah keeper is a little shaky on corners.
   Messiah takes a touch to control the ball, then a touch to pass it.  As a result they move the ball too quickly for Muhlenberg to react in midfield.  With 28 left they seem to be owning the game.
   Also enjoy that they aim to get the ball on the deck as soon as possible. 
   Messiah also always goes to space whether they are passing it, or going into traffic, they are always turning away from pressure.
   I could see Muhlenberg picking up a scrappy goal because Messiah can be too cute for their own good.
   And like that Muhlenberg wins a tackle and ball goes to a forward who faces up a defender, touches it right, and buries it back stick from about the 18.  24 minutes left in the half.  Messiah 1, Muhlenberg 1.
   Muhlenberg's goal was the result of grit, and a talented forward.  Don't think they have done much beyond that.
   Messiah looks a little rattled after the goal.  Need to get some composure back.
   Don't dive in, don't dive in, don't dive in.
   Messiah is the much better soccer team.  Muhlenberg is the much better college soccer team.
   15 minutes left.  Messiah basically subs the entire team in two or three waves.  And didn't skip a beat.  What luxury.
   Defensively, Messiah seems to have a lot of miscommunication between the midfield and defenders.  Its your ball ... no its your ... no, yours....
   Muhlenberg thrives when it is a bit chaotic.  Its evened out and now is a battle for control of the midfield.  Think Messiah still has the edge, but Muhlenberg making much tougher for them.
   Halftime
   Messiah moves so well off the ball, anticipating how a play can develop.  Pretty impressive to see.  Just break down in the final third.  Looking for the perfect pass.
   The center back Muhlenberg captain is very good.
   Every time Messiah has the ball, there are stretches where it just looks like a big game of keep away.  How Muhlenberg is able to keep up is beyond me.  They really haven't threatened for 20 minutes.
   Messiah works the ball down their right side a lot.  Looking to spring the wing behind the defender so he can cross the ball.  If I were the coach would be calling for them to look to exploit the gaps between the two center backs.  They look a little ragged.
   Not sure they realize it but the more Messiah slows the ball down in the attack, the easier it is to defend against.
   Messiah has this kid called McDonald .. I think.  He is a pretty good imposing forward.
   Muhlenberg may not have hear me the first time.... Don't dive in, don't dive in, don't dive in.
   8 minutes left and can totally see this game ending.
   Messiah keeper has a mullet.
   Gotten a bit chaotic again.
   Game is deadlocked at 1.  End of 2nd half.  On to OT.  Second game in one day heading into OT.
   Could see this playing out and remaining 1-1.  Although a defensive error could happen...
   I stand corrected, Messiah keeper is very good.  Great distribution.
   End of first OT.
   At this point, think I am done.  Think Messiah is a heck of a team that is easily in the top 5.  Only reason I am not saying the best is because they don't seem to have a clear path to scoring.  Might just be the game.
   Ok.  8 left and calling it an evening.

What I learned from this match:

-anything can happen in soccer (did you see Coach Topping's I-just-got-away-with-shoplifting smile?).
-That's no mere mullet on the GK: that's a full-blown 1986 Inter Milan soccer rocker. He should be carded every match for that travesty ;D ;D.

Flying Weasel

These observations echo those of Messiah fans like myself over the past decade. In the early to mid-2000's, pace and urgency in attack featured a lot more than it does now (Nick West's high-scoring senior year excepted).  Since becoming a national power, Messiah has always valued possession, but over time they seem to have became more risk-averse. Sometimes it seems to me that players are more afraid to make mistakes than they are willing to try to make something happen.

SimpleCoach

Quote from: Flying Weasel on September 12, 2021, 02:23:26 PM
These observations echo those of Messiah fans like myself over the past decade. In the early to mid-2000's, pace and urgency in attack featured a lot more than it does now (Nick West's high-scoring senior year excepted).  Since becoming a national power, Messiah has always valued possession, but over time they seem to have became more risk-averse. Sometimes it seems to me that players are more afraid to make mistakes than they are willing to try to make something happen.

I can see that, but regardless, their play is pretty special.

Will say, it dawned on me that they could looking for that perfect play when in the second half, one of the guys was about 30 out and moving the ball forward.  There was a center forward who had a man maybe 5 yards away but the passing lane and the area he could take his touch was wide open.  Perfect opening to exploit literally right down the middle.  Instead?  He pass it out wide for a winger to whip the ball in.  I couldn't have drawn up a more perfect scenario for a player to slot it right down the middle.

calvin_grad

Calvin lost to Carthage last night 1-0.  Calvin didn't look great in my opinion.  Shots on goal 9-3 in favor of Carthage.  Calvin played 200 minutes of soccer this weekend and didn't find the back of the net.

SimpleCoach

Wheaton v Connecticut College
Wheaton
Bias? – No need for Gluten Free food and my son was recruited (Did not go)

1.   Joined 25 in when Conn just scored.  Sent a ball EDP in the box in a free kick, attacker headed the ball before Keeper punched the ball out.  Wheaton 0, Connecticut 1
2.   Lovely grass field.
3.   Connecticut looks to own more of the ball. When they don't have the ball they press high.  Wheaton struggles to gain/keep possession.
4.   Wheaton resorting to sending deep balls to the corner.
5.   Wheaton tries but falls short on connecting with the ball.
6.   Connecticut doesn't seem to have its back line organizes.  Can get behind them or catch them jumping in.
7.   Connecticut does get some good play on the ball.
8.   Wheaton has a couple of dead balls that they float into the box.  If Connecticut is going to foul, they should do so farther from the 18.  They could get dangerous.
9.   Connecticut is a bit more disorganized defensively.
10.   Halftime. Wheaton 0, Connecticut 1
11.   Not even 1 minute in, Connecticut is called for tripping a forward in the box.  Play developed off of kick off with a short pass that didn't reach its intended target and a Wheaton forward picked up and was heading for a 1 on 1 with the keeper.
12.   Keeper guesses his left, ball goes to his right.  Wheaton 1, Connecticut 1.
13.   Connecticut reeled a little after the goal but has gotten some control back.  Wheaton is defending tight and taking away space.
14.   Not exactly a flowing game.  Seems to go in fits and starts. Wheaton sits until it wins the ball then tries to break forward.
15.   Connecticut is vulnerable in the back.  Midfield and forwards get high looking for the go ahead.  Can make things uncomfortable for them if Wheaton can be disciplined and get forward quickly.
16.   Connecticut is knocking on the door though.  Number of shots just wide.
17.   Feels like Connecticut will score before Wheaton by the way play seems to be going.  25 minutes left.
18.   Anatomy of a goal - Wheaton goal kick.  Goes to midfield where Conn defender goes up and wins the ball but heads it back to the Wheaton midfielder who gets the ball out wide.  Outside back runs on to the ball and launches it up into Connecticut half.  Defender heads the ball back to a Wheaton midfielder who under pressure, drops it to the outside back. Outside back looks to hit a long ball but instead gives it back to the midfielder who is now open because the man marking him tries to guess where he was going to go with the ball.  Midfielder receives the ball and turns, and places a beautiful through ball to a forward running through a gaping hole between the outside back and center back.  Forward runs on to the ball and goes one on one with the keeper and slots the ball past the keeper.  Wheaton 2, Connecticut 1.
19.   Bunch of defensive breakdowns for Connecticut.  First is the midfield was too far up the field and left a pretty wide gap.  This let Wheaton win the ball the first time.  Second was no one pressed the back giving him time to pick his pass.  Third being the man marking in the midfield for Connecticut was woeful.  Again not marking just chasing empty space.  Third the back three were spread very thin and the forward who received the ball and as wide open.
20.   Unfortunately the video feed went down shortly there after and think the game finished out 2-1.
21.   Will try to catch another game this evening.

fishercats

Got time to take a look at WashU @ Hope tonight? 4:30 eastern/3:30 central. Should be telling in terms of where these two teams fall.

Game Link: https://www.youtube.com/hopeathletics