New England Soccer Discussion

Started by Jim Matson, June 09, 2006, 12:25:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ECSUalum

Quote from: amh63 on June 22, 2015, 11:28:26 AM
ECSU....my friend...hope you are well.  There is a poster on the boards...primarily on the Nescac MBB board...that is a Cal Lutheran alum.  He has a nephew on the Williams MBB team...a senior, I believe.  His "handle" is Madzillagd.  I hope that is correct.  I refer to him as Madz...since I tend to forget things.
I am aware of Cal Lutheran's tennis team since several CAC schools play them and the cited poster is a former Tennis player.
Anyway, if interested, he may provide an alum's assessment of the soccer program.
Hello amh63
Boy the seasons just fly by don't they? Soccer next then back to Basketball!!
Hope your well and talk to you later on in the fall

Off Pitch

Brandeis has released their 2015 schedule - http://www.brandeisjudges.com/sports/msoc/2015-16/schedule

Non-conference games of note:

Sept 4 - (n) Hardin-Simmons
Sept 5 - at Trinity TX
Sept 12 - Babson
Sept 26 - at Tufts
Sept 29 - at Wheaton MA

Flying Weasel

Quote from: Off Pitch on June 26, 2015, 10:50:14 AM
Brandeis has released their 2015 schedule - http://www.brandeisjudges.com/sports/msoc/2015-16/schedule

Sept 4 - (n) Hardin-Simmons
Sept 5 - at Trinity TX
Sept 12 - Babson
Sept 26 - at Tufts
Sept 29 - at Wheaton MA

Wow! That non-conference slate on top of the UAA schedule makes for a vey tough season (with a ton of travel).

PaulNewman

What Brandeis has done over the last few years, and I assume Coven is to be credited (especially with such a revival very late on in his career), really is phenomenal.  The magical Tufts run in some ways ended up overshadowing how good Brandeis was last year.  All the way up to the NCAA tourney Brandeis arguably was THE story in New England in D3.  Will be interesting to see how the next couple of years go.  And kudos on going to play Trinity.  The programs who take their allowed overseas trips and schedule great early season challenges always seem to benefit.

Mr.Right

I would have to say without question this is the toughest schedule of any team in the country. They might lose home field advantage in the NCAA's with this challenging slate but they will be battle tested for sure.

Off Pitch

Babson has released their 2015 schedule - http://www.babsonathletics.com/sports/m-soccer/2015-16/schedule

Sept 1 -   at Eastern Conn St
Sept 6 -   Ohio Northern
Sept 12 - at Brandeis
Sept 27 - RPI
Oct 12 -   at Bowdoin
Oct 18 -   Williams

Also includes 2014 NCAA tournament participants Husson, UMass-Boston, Fitchburg St

Nutmeg

Quote from: Off Pitch on July 02, 2015, 03:27:35 PM
Babson has released their 2015 schedule - http://www.babsonathletics.com/sports/m-soccer/2015-16/schedule

Sept 1 -   at Eastern Conn St
Sept 6 -   Ohio Northern
Sept 12 - at Brandeis
Sept 27 - RPI
Oct 12 -   at Bowdoin
Oct 18 -   Williams

Also includes 2014 NCAA tournament participants Husson, UMass-Boston, Fitchburg St
A good tough non-conference schedule....

Off Pitch

Wheaton (MA) has not put their schedule on their website yet, but here are their non-conference games of note:

Sept 5 -   Ohio Northern
Sept 13 -  Colby
Sept 29 - Brandeis
Oct 6  -    Trinity (CT)

They also play 2014 NCAA participant Husson.

Nutmeg

Quote from: NCAC New England on June 26, 2015, 07:46:16 PM
What Brandeis has done over the last few years, and I assume Coven is to be credited (especially with such a revival very late on in his career), really is phenomenal.  The magical Tufts run in some ways ended up overshadowing how good Brandeis was last year.  All the way up to the NCAA tourney Brandeis arguably was THE story in New England in D3.  Will be interesting to see how the next couple of years go.  And kudos on going to play Trinity.  The programs who take their allowed overseas trips and schedule great early season challenges always seem to benefit.

Yes, good points. The Judges had a great season and are underrated nationally...

Off Pitch

Certainly of secondary importance relative to soccer, MONEY just released their 2015 rankings of best colleges (best value for tuition dollar).  Here are the New England schools with men's D3 athletic programs that appeared in the top 100 of the rankings:

2.    Babson
3.    MIT
8.    Maine Maritime Academy
9.    Amherst
28.  Williams
48.  WPI
56.  Bowdoin
59.  Mass Maritime Academy
71.  Tufts
85.  Colby
96.  Middlebury

Off Pitch

I know this has been discussed, but these rankings have to be a blessing and a curse for some of these schools.  They have the academic draw but low acceptance rates making it more difficult to recruit many good players. 

New England schools with men's D3 athletic programs in the top 100 of lowest admission acceptance rates:

MIT
Amherst
Bowdoin
Coast Guard
Middlebury
Williams
Tufts
Wesleyan
Bates
Colby
Hamilton
Babson
Trinity

All the NESCACs, with the exception of Connecticut College, are on this list.

All NESCAC

Quote from: Off Pitch on July 14, 2015, 09:04:49 AM
I know this has been discussed, but these rankings have to be a blessing and a curse for some of these schools.  They have the academic draw but low acceptance rates making it more difficult to recruit many good players. 

New England schools with men's D3 athletic programs in the top 100 of lowest admission acceptance rates:

MIT
Amherst
Bowdoin
Coast Guard
Middlebury
Williams
Tufts
Wesleyan
Bates
Colby
Hamilton
Babson
Trinity

All the NESCACs, with the exception of Connecticut College, are on this list.

Question:  If above is true why aren't the Conn College Men challenging for NESCAC title each year if admission is much easier than the rest of the league?

nescac1

It's a two-way street.  Admission may be (marginally, these schools are all very competitive) easier at Conn, but any top recruit, given the opportunity, is likely to choose Williams, Amherst, Midd, Bowdoin, Tufts or Wesleyan over Conn ... hence it is unsurprising they attract more of them.

All NESCAC

Quote from: nescac1 on July 14, 2015, 09:51:07 AM
It's a two-way street.  Admission may be (marginally, these schools are all very competitive) easier at Conn, but any top recruit, given the opportunity, is likely to choose Williams, Amherst, Midd, Bowdoin, Tufts or Wesleyan over Conn ... hence it is unsurprising they attract more of them.

True, but you would think that Conn could get in a few more difference makers (forwards) which Williams/Amherst/Midd couldn't, thus giving them some small advantage for certain players....seems like Conn has had some talent the last few years, but for some reason they can't put it together. Is it the talent or coaching/scheme?

FourMoreYears

Quote from: All NESCAC on July 14, 2015, 12:21:43 PM
Quote from: nescac1 on July 14, 2015, 09:51:07 AM

True, but you would think that Conn could get in a few more difference makers (forwards) which Williams/Amherst/Midd couldn't, thus giving them some small advantage for certain players....seems like Conn has had some talent the last few years, but for some reason they can't put it together. Is it the talent or coaching/scheme?

In this day and age of social media, texting, etc ... word spreads quickly among the younger generation as to the plusses and minuses of coaches.  In the case of Conn College, the coach is not enjoying positive ratings with his potential recruiting base.  This is not an indictment of his style, merely an observation of the situation he currently finds himself in ...