New England Soccer Discussion

Started by Jim Matson, June 09, 2006, 12:25:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr.Right

UMASS Boston has great skill, flair and creativity. If was Beverlin I would start recruiting a GK and 2-3 Defenders who are big and physical. They do not need to be the most technical but they need leaders, size and toughness in the back that they do not have at the moment.

ECSUalum

So frustrating trying to watch ECSU vs USM, when the camera is pointed everywhere but at the action. Sadly Camera person just is not paying attention/ incompetent.  Either get someone who knows what they are doing or just provide the Live Stats my goodness!!!!!!! ???

ECSU 4-0 USM  Soph Xavier Doran with another hat trick.  ECSU in sole possession of 1st place in LEC with RIC and UM Dartmouth left.  RIC over Plymouth St 1-0

Eastern committed 1 foul in the match!!

Mr.Right

Has Babson clinched a NEWMAC playoff spot? If not that 1-1 draw will bite. I do not think Babson has ever missed NEWMAC playoffs

blooter442

Story of the Year (possibly): WILLIAMS IS BEATING BABSON 7-2!

Elsewhere Brandeis is losing to WashU 1-0 at half. Bears scored 5' in on a miscommunication, Judges hit the post shortly after. Exciting second half to come.

blooter442

Blooter's Beliefs

This weekend was an eventful one for sure. Not quite as exciting as conference tournament/NCAA time, but with some good matchups across NE I think we saw some good soccer. I've decided to focus on a selection of different teams rather than recap the whole weekend, but either way hopefully it'll provide some food for thought.

First, let's start with Amherst. I think this is the week that they move into the #1 spot. A weekend roadtrip to Maine is never easy despite the caliber of opposition, but they got it done both days with an aggregate margin of 5-0 - NPL bagged four of them. He is absolutely on fire. Despite my longtime aversion to their style, what I like about Amherst this year is that they're not just scoring on corner kicks, throw-ins, or scrums in the box - they are creating goals from open play and keeping the ball on the ground. Martin and NPL on the outside are in phenomenal form, and Singer as I've said a million times is vastly underrated. Bull has started to look significantly more confident as time has gone on, and he hasn't given up a goal since WPI I believe. The fact that Amherst is 13-0 is a double-edged sword - on the one hand, it gives us as observers more confidence that they're just going to keep rolling and winning every game that they play. On the other hand, it can create an untold pressure - I once heard a high school soccer coach whose team hadn't lost 60+ games (equivalent to three high school seasons) say that an undefeated streak is like a balloon whose pressure increases until it bursts. And while I think Amherst has enough know-how to continue to win those close games, we have seen them fall at the critical stages before - 2012 and 2013 need no introduction, while 2014 was perhaps justified as they weren't nearly as dominant as they had been in years' past. However, with NPL in the form that he's in and Martin and Singer alongside him - as well as an excellent foundation behind them in midfield, defense, and net - this could be the year. Stay tuned.

It's pretty incredible how, in the space of 10 days, a team can go from never being behind all season to being down in all four of its games and losing two of those contests. Such is the tale of UMass-Boston. The Beacons were being hailed as a potential power within the NE region, but have since been brought back down to Earth. After going 10-0 to start the seaosn, they suffered a hard-luck loss to Babson, followed that up with another loss to ECSU, got a 4-3 OT victory at WNE, and barely escaped WCSU 5-4. For perspective, the Beacons gave up four goals in their first 10 games, but have give up 10 in their last four. What's the issue? I can't say definitively, but I - and I apologize for beating a dead horse - think it's a lack of composure. They've got some talent and I like the way they attack with flair and skill, but their discipline is not nearly on the same level as that of their offensive potency. You've got to have both if you have any ambition of being successful, and it only becomes more and more important as the season goes on.

Next up, Brandeis. NCAC jokingly said that - were the Judges to win yesterday - the odds of them winning the UAA would be at 97 percent. I can't say I would have agreed even if it had been the case, as - while I have my own biases - I'm a very pragmatic sports fan, and with that comes the practice of knowing and over-considering my own team's vulnerabilities and perhaps under-considering it's strengths. As it was, the Judges lost at home to WashU 2-0 - their first home loss in more than two years - and it was more the case that they played poor than WashU played well. Two days before, on Friday, they got a big slice of revenge for one of last year's two regular-season losses by beating UChicago 1-0. Even sweeter for the Judges was that they were outplayed but still got the victory, as it was the reverse of last year's meeting where Chicago was on the back foot but nicked a goal. No doubt that Chicago was a fixture marked on the calendar this year, and the Judges came out with the victory. However, Brandeis is not playing well as of late - they've been outplayed in midfield, are having trouble scoring, and their defense has not looked nearly as watertight as before. They've got two tough road games against Emory, which is a tough place to go, and Rochester, who nobody would have predicted to be 0-1-3 in league play but will be tough as always, before closing at home against NYU. That said, all is not bad, as they're 12-2-1 and still joint-top of the UAA w/Case. I think they'll be OK in terms of a bid to NCAAs, but those problems could well plague them when the Tournament comes around if they're not addressed soon.

Maybe I'm putting too much weight into the fact that they play a pretty weak schedule, but I'm still not sold on MIT. Aside from an impressive draw against Brandeis in a game they could easily have won, it is my opinion that MIT is not as talented as its 11-1-1 record suggests. It took them almost a full OT period to get past Clark, who is 4-9-1, at home. Not on the road, at home. Granted, every team has those days where they battle past a weak opponent, but it was still a less-than-impressive reference of their firepower. They got a nice 3-2 OT win at Wheaton and beat Babson on the road, but they also lost to Roger Williams who is below .500. If you want to be considered one of the best programs in NE, you have to be winning or at least not losing games against teams below .500. They also took Tufts off the schedule this year, which is a real head-scratcher especially considering MIT's surprisingly good record against the Jumbos (2-0-1 against Tufts in the last 3 years), so maybe I'm reading too much into it. Anyway, Bingham is a very good forward and pretty much all their offense runs through him - the fact that he has 14 goals in mid-October suggests that he could well be in the running for 2nd team or even 1st All-American, especially if "Tech" gets an NCAA bid and he scores in the Tournament. That said, Bingham, Freel, and perhaps Itani aside, the team is decidedly average IMHO, and relies largely on the brilliance of Bingham to bail them out. The last time MIT went to the Tourney, they lost in the first round to Western New England 2-0. They might be better than that this year, but I'd still have trouble seeing them making it past the second round in any case.

The NESCAC playoffs are posing a more interesting spectacle as the season continues on. We don't need to talk more about Amherst, but you've got teams like Middlebury, who - aside from an opportunistic victory at Wesleyan - have flattered to deceive IMHO. Despite their 9-2-1 record, they looked absolutely listless in their defeat to Tufts, and once Tufts went up 1-0 there was no way that they were ever going to lose that game. They'll pose teams problems on set pieces, but from open play I just don't see it, although I'll agree that Conrad is a dangerous player and perhaps I was too harsh on him to start with. That said, they've got the two seed pretty much locked up, so they'll be happy with that. Moving down the list, there's Tufts, who started the season as No. 1, stayed there for a while, came crashing back down to Earth with losses at home to Brandeis and away at Amherst and Hamilton, seemed to have rebounded after beating Midd., but then went on the road to Bates and tied 0-0. Prior to their miracle run last year, we often found ourselves asking "which Tufts team is going to show up today?" The question has resurfaced this year, and will better be answered this weekend when they travel to Williams (a game which Majumder will no doubt be up for) before closing home at Bowdoin. Perhaps the most exciting race is the race for 4th place between Conn., Williams, and Wesleyan. Conn. was off this weekend, but aside from getting blown out by Amherst on the road they've looked very good this year. That said, the result against the Lord Jeffs may well have shaken their confidence. Williams has woken up as the season has gone along, and came alive with a 7-2 win yesterday at Babson - a result I didn't believe when I first saw the score on my phone, but then looked at the scoresheet and there were all legitimate goals and assists listed. Wesleyan has been on the wrong end of some tough one-goal losses, and that tie against Tufts is looking more and more costly - I still blame whoever was scheduling and didn't foresee that game going to 2OT, as it was called b/c of darkness. Then there's teams like Bates and Bowdoin, currently tied for 7th, who began their seasons in opposing fashions - Bowdoin started horribly while Bates started well, but now the Bobcats - despite picking up a fortunate point against Tufts - have suffered home losses to Trinity and Amherst, and still have yet to play Midd. Bowdoin, meanwhile, picked up a whopping victory against Babson, 4-1, and beat Hamilton in what in my opinion was a trap game. Bowdoin has tough road tests against Conn. and Tufts, while Bates only has a road trip to Colby, so expect the fight for spots 7 & 8 to be exciting. Anyway, I think homefield advantage in the quarterfinals is HUGE, and - given the possibility that the NESCAC could be a four-bid league this year - could be very telling for who gets to NCAAs ultimately. We'll have to see.

That's all, folks. Stay tuned for next week (these will probably start coming on Monday, as I find they're the best diversion of me having to accept that another work week is upon us.)

Mr.Right

Well done Bloots again....This site should be talking to you about doing a regular New England column, since we do not have anyone as of yet...

ECSUalum

I want to give a shout out to the ECSU Defense in general and FYear GK Ryan Murphy in particular!!  Great Job Ryan and Gavin Neuendorf, Zane Lombardo, Emmanuel Caicedo, and Cooper D'Ambrosio

ECSU W/L record 12-2-1

NCAA.com stats/national rankings:
Team Goal Against Average- #25 0.58 (9 Goals Against)
Team Shut Outs- #38 8 Shut outs  0.53

Ryan Murphy Stats/national ranking
Goals Against #29 0.595 (9 Goals Against)
Save % #12 1360 minutes 0.890 73 Saves

PaulNewman

Quote from: Mr.Right on October 19, 2015, 01:31:22 PM
Well done Bloots again....This site should be talking to you about doing a regular New England column, since we do not have anyone as of yet...

YES.

TennesseeJed

Quote from: NCAC New England on October 19, 2015, 09:28:27 PM
Quote from: Mr.Right on October 19, 2015, 01:31:22 PM

YES.

Yes squared!  Great write-up!

Off Pitch

Quote from: Off Pitch on October 14, 2015, 05:02:46 PM
Projected "real" New England rankings based on games through 10/13 and modelled SOS:

1.  Amherst                   
2.  Brandeis                   
3.  Tufts                         
4.  Mass-Boston
5.  MIT
6.  Middlebury
7.  ECSU
8.  Endicott
9.  Gordon
10.  Conn
11.  Wesleyan
-------------------
12.  Wentworth
13.  Springfield
14.  Bowdoin
15.  Babson
16.  Wheaton
17.  WPI
18.  Williams
19.  Bridgewater St.
20.  Bates

Spreadsheet updated with games through 10/18:

remaining teams of note on schedule         Pool C chances
1.  Amherst               13-0-0         Wesleyan                                                        Lock
2.  Brandeis               12-2-1         Emory                                                             Lock
3.  Mass-Boston         12-2-0          MIT                                                                virtual lock with SOS
4.  MIT                      11-1-1          Mass-Boston, Springfield, Stevens, WPI             must win 3 of noted games to be safe
5.  Middlebury             9-2-1          Williams                                                          safe with win over Williams
6.  ECSU                   12-2-1                                                                                safe with no upset losses, advance to conf final
7.  Tufts                      7-3-2          Williams, Bowdoin                                            probably safe with one more loss
8.  Endicott                11-1-2           Wentworth, Gordon                                         bubble w/SOS concerns
9.  Gordon                 10-3-0           Endicott                                                          bubble w/SOS concerns
10.  Conn                    8-3-1           Bowdoin, Wesleyan                                          must beat Bowdoin OR Wesleyan, reach final
11.  Springfield          11-2-1           MIT                                                                 possible with win over MIT and reach conf final
12.  Williams               6-4-2           Tufts, Middlebury                                              great SOS, in with one more loss, out with two
13.  Wentworth          11-3-0           Endicott                                                           NO
14.  Bowdoin               6-3-2           Conn, Tufts                                                       in with one more loss, out with two or more
15.  Bridgewater St.    11-2-1                                                                                 NO
16.  Wesleyan              7-4-1           Amherst, Conn                                                  probably not, must win out and reach final
17.  WPI                      9-4-2           MIT                                                                  NO

Pool C bids:

New England got 5 Pool C bids in 2014, if that holds for 2015, the probable recipients are:

NESCAC (2 or 3):  There are some key NESCAC games the next two weeks that will knock at least two of the contenders out while improving the ratings of the winners.  It is doubtful that Wesleyan beats Amherst, Bowdoin probably loses at Tufts, and Williams will probably not beat both Tufts and Middlebury.  NESCAC probably gets Amherst, Middlebury and Tufts with Conn with little margin for error.

NEWMAC (0-1):  If MIT beats Springfield (and they should) and wins the AQ, this could be a one bid league this year.

LEC (1):  Mass-Boston and ECSU should get in.  What happens if neither wins the conference tournament?

CCC (0-1):  The non-AQ (Endicott or Gordon) squarely on the bubble

Mr.Right

Quote from: Off Pitch on October 20, 2015, 09:35:25 AM
Quote from: Off Pitch on October 14, 2015, 05:02:46 PM
Projected "real" New England rankings based on games through 10/13 and modelled SOS:

1.  Amherst                   
2.  Brandeis                   
3.  Tufts                         
4.  Mass-Boston
5.  MIT
6.  Middlebury
7.  ECSU
8.  Endicott
9.  Gordon
10.  Conn
11.  Wesleyan
-------------------
12.  Wentworth
13.  Springfield
14.  Bowdoin
15.  Babson
16.  Wheaton
17.  WPI
18.  Williams
19.  Bridgewater St.
20.  Bates

Spreadsheet updated with games through 10/18:

remaining teams of note on schedule         Pool C chances
1.  Amherst               13-0-0         Wesleyan                                                        Lock
2.  Brandeis               12-2-1         Emory                                                             Lock
3.  Mass-Boston         12-2-0          MIT                                                                virtual lock with SOS
4.  MIT                      11-1-1          Mass-Boston, Springfield, Stevens, WPI             must win 3 of noted games to be safe
5.  Middlebury             9-2-1          Williams                                                          safe with win over Williams
6.  ECSU                   12-2-1                                                                                safe with no upset losses, advance to conf final
7.  Tufts                      7-3-2          Williams, Bowdoin                                            probably safe with one more loss
8.  Endicott                11-1-2           Wentworth, Gordon                                         bubble w/SOS concerns
9.  Gordon                 10-3-0           Endicott                                                          bubble w/SOS concerns
10.  Conn                    8-3-1           Bowdoin, Wesleyan                                          must beat Bowdoin OR Wesleyan, reach final
11.  Springfield          11-2-1           MIT                                                                 possible with win over MIT and reach conf final
12.  Williams               6-4-2           Tufts, Middlebury                                              great SOS, in with one more loss, out with two
13.  Wentworth          11-3-0           Endicott                                                           NO
14.  Bowdoin               6-3-2           Conn, Tufts                                                       in with one more loss, out with two or more
15.  Bridgewater St.    11-2-1                                                                                 NO
16.  Wesleyan              7-4-1           Amherst, Conn                                                  probably not, must win out and reach final
17.  WPI                      9-4-2           MIT                                                                  NO

Pool C bids:

New England got 5 Pool C bids in 2014, if that holds for 2015, the probable recipients are:

NESCAC (2 or 3):  There are some key NESCAC games the next two weeks that will knock at least two of the contenders out while improving the ratings of the winners.  It is doubtful that Wesleyan beats Amherst, Bowdoin probably loses at Tufts, and Williams will probably not beat both Tufts and Middlebury.  NESCAC probably gets Amherst, Middlebury and Tufts with Conn with little margin for error.

NEWMAC (0-1):  If MIT beats Springfield (and they should) and wins the AQ, this could be a one bid league this year.

LEC (1):  Mass-Boston and ECSU should get in.  What happens if neither wins the conference tournament?

CCC (0-1):  The non-AQ (Endicott or Gordon) squarely on the bubble

I HAVE TO DISAGREE A BIT...

Middlebury....Please give me 2 Good wins on their resume?   Conn College and Wesleyan are it. They better hope both are ranked because their SOS will be close to .550

Gordon will not be ranked ahead of Wesleyan and Conn. Their only good win is against ECONN, their schedule is weak at best.

Williams has some good non-conference wins and their SOS will be high. I believe they would be ahead of Springfield and Wentworth, they will not be ranked but they will be close.

In the past New England has received upto 7 Bids, so 5 is not a definite # especially with the addition of 12 teams being ranked this year compared to 11 in years prior. I am not saying 7 bids
will happen but just acknowledging the point.

Off Pitch

Oct 20 NSCAA rankings for New England:

1.  Amherst
2.  Brandeis
3.  MIT
4.  Endicott
5.  ECSU
6.  Tufts
7.  Gordon
8.  Mass-Boston
9.  Middlebury
10. Wentworth
11. Conn
12. Springfield

Corazon

Mr. Right, just heard Ainscough's been let go at Northeastern. Wonder if any D3 coaches will get a shot?  Wild guess here, but Shapiro?

Mr.Right

Quote from: Corazon on October 20, 2015, 03:45:08 PM
Mr. Right, just heard Ainscough's been let go at Northeastern. Wonder if any D3 coaches will get a shot?  Wild guess here, but Shapiro?

I knew Ainscough was in trouble over there. I went into detail about a month ago about his struggles in every stop he has been at. We had ONE poster disputing my claims and disparaging my opinions and FACTS....Well I love patting myself on the back but I WAS RIGHT.....I had heard the players revolted back in the Winter to the AD to get him out of there and apparently he was given one more shot. I believe his record this season was 1-8-2 or something dismal like that. Still to be let go or to resign mid-season IS VERY STRANGE. I am guessing SOMETHING had to have happened. He is done in college soccer and will be lucky to hold onto  his Bolts gig.

No way Shapiro goes for Northeastern. The pay is weak and Northeastern does not support soccer like other D1 schools. even without Football, Northeastern does not support Soccer. Shapiro would not touch that gig. One coach that I would guess might be interested is Matt Cushing at Wheaton MA....I doubt the pay would be comparable but he might want a fresh start as he has done as well as he can at Wheaton...Just a guess though

Corazon

I actually liked him, got to know him a bit as he coached one of my kids years ago. He definitely knows his soccer.