BB: CUNYAC

Started by Billy 40, March 14, 2009, 09:16:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LTBB1971

2012 season is about to get underway, how does CSI look like?  Any new faces that may contribute right away?

Ralph Turner

CUNYAC gets a Pool A bid for 2014.  Here is the link to the front page.

http://www.d3baseball.com/notables/2014/04/pool-B

D3SportsFan

From the recent article posted on D3baseball.com, what does this mean for the future of the CUNYAC? Will there be a push to add a 7th team since Yeshiva won't be a mainstay? Or will Yeshiva leave the Skyline, and only compete in the CUNYAC?

Ralph Turner

This is pure speculation on my part , but I think that conference pressure to support the conference will push Yeshiva into the Skyline.

The CUNYAC is so close to the Pool A bid.  The conference has not been able to convince another school to add baseball.

I keep asking, why not St Joe's Brooklyn, unless St Joe's may believe that any dancing with the CUNYAC chases away any other suitors.

D3SportsFan

I agree St. Joseph's-Brooklyn is an understandable fit with regards to location. I don't know St. Joe's baseball history, but they've had respectable seasons the past 2 years. Would St. Joe's also make the CUNYAC slightly more competitive or stronger, especially in place of Yeshiva?

Jim Dixon

The New York region is adding more schools playing baseball than anyother region, there might be a school thinking about baseball that might join the CUNYAC.

D3SportsFan

I believe there are 3 colleges between PA and NY that are making the transition to full DIII membership (Valley Forge Christian, SUNY Canton, and Alfred State), but none of which are near NYC. I'll be curious to see which conferences these 3 colleges push to join.

Jim Dixon

Quote from: D3SportsFan on April 09, 2014, 02:41:28 PM
I believe there are 3 colleges between PA and NY that are making the transition to full DIII membership (Valley Forge Christian, SUNY Canton, and Alfred State), but none of which are near NYC. I'll be curious to see which conferences these 3 colleges push to join.

I expect Valley Forge to join one of the midatlantic conferences.  Alfred State should look at the Empire 8 to get them a Pool A bid.

D3SportsFan

I agree about Valley Forge Christian (CSAC, NEAC, maybe MAC or Landmark). It will be interesting to see where SUNY Canton (SUNYAC, NEAC) and Alfred State (Empire8, NEAC) end up.

Sarah Lawrence (Bronxville, NY) is independent DIII provisional member, but doesn't offer baseball yet.

Ralph Turner

Finlandia and UMPI are announced as affiliates of the CUNYAC. The CUNYAC has 5 baseball full members. Perhaps the CUNYAC will get a Pool A bid for the 2020 season, if not sooner.

http://www.fulions.com/news/2017/3/20/finlandia-baseball-joins-the-cuny-athletic-conference.aspx?path=baseball

D3SportsFan

Any word on how travel may affect scheduling? It's great to see the CUNYAC adding teams and getting closer to an AQ.

Jim Dixon

Quote from: D3SportsFan on April 11, 2017, 12:45:57 PM
Any word on how travel may affect scheduling? It's great to see the CUNYAC adding teams and getting closer to an AQ.

It is hard to think they could find two team further away.  Will they do a UAA style tournament in the spring?

Ralph Turner

Update -- NAC and CUNYAC to play for post-season bid.

http://www.d3baseball.com/notables/2018/07/cunyac-nac-announce-playin-series

My guess is that the NAC is using its five core members to maintain the Pool A bid and accept the CUNYAC members as "affiliates" for Pool A consideration for the 2019 and 2020 seasons.

(I will appreciate other comments, but...) I think that this lays the groundwork for long term arrangement of two conferences to stay out of Pool B and have some playoff fun.

It certainly makes sense to me!

(...also posted on the Pool B and NAC boards.)

Ralph Turner

Staten Island is moving to D2 in 2019-2020.

The CUNYAC still will have the 4 core members to maintain a conference championship and to be a sponsoring conference.

The alignment with the NAC is now even more critical for post-season access via a Pool A bid.

Ralph Turner

Congratulations to Baruch on earning the Pool A Bid.

https://www.d3baseball.com/playoffs/2019/2019-playoff-projections?t=1557696196162

I believe that this is the first playoff appearance for a CUNYAC school in the 21st century.

Corrections are appreciated.