MBB: NEWMAC

Started by nehoops4life, March 03, 2005, 10:39:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WPI89

BaboNation

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on February 25, 2018, 10:14:50 PM
Quote from: WPI89 on February 25, 2018, 03:12:19 PM
Agree Babo. Good effort by the young crimson Enginerrs. Many pool c candidates with a big sigh of relief!  Good luck to mit and i assume Springfield. Maybe a couple of second round NESCAC games?

Good luck to all rooting for C bids tomorrow.

Not sure Springfield is in - we didn't put them in the mock, although they certainly do have a chance to make it.

I jumped the gun a bit to be sure, but without diminishing teams that missed the cut I think the committee got it right with Springfield.

BaboNation

It's Jake Ross Time!

Best player in New England imo.

And as Keith Jackson would say ... he's only a soph-o-more!

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: BaboNation on February 26, 2018, 04:57:09 PM
It's Jake Ross Time!

Well, he might be next year.  I'm a little partial to Jaqhawn Walters right now - and maybe Tarchee Brown.  They're both graduating, though.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

BaboNation

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on February 26, 2018, 05:00:35 PM
It's Jake Ross Time!

Well, he might be next year.  I'm a little partial to Jaqhawn Walters right now - and maybe Tarchee Brown.  They're both graduating, though.

Both very good players.  Just my opinion ... I think Walters production falls off in most games they lose. 
There's plenty of room on the 1st team All-Northeast for others.

Smitty Oom

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on February 26, 2018, 05:00:35 PM
It's Jake Ross Time!

Great players. I hope we get to see both of these guys in Salem for the all star game, if Eastern CT gets knocked out by then.

BaboNation

Both NEWMAC teams advance!

MIT took control early and was never threatened.  Brockport played a 2-3 zone and the MIT deliberate offense took a lot of time on each possession early on.
Jurko was very good running the point.  He's not the triple-threat in the lane that Jomard is (few are), but if you can't pressure him above the arc you're in for a long night. 

Springfield had its hands full with Albright and had to cross fingers twice in the final seconds on 3-point misses.  I question Springfield's strategy up 1 with .9 on the clock, shooting FTs in the bonus.  He misses the front end, and makes the second.  If you lose you will lose on a 3 pointer, regardless of whether you make 1 FT.  So, why not bounce it off the front of the rim instead of letting them set up an inbounds pass?
Ross had a good stat line but he had one of his sloppy TO games.  Needs to clean that up.
McNulty had key 3-pointers down the stretch.  Both teams seemed anxious for postgame dinner and used a 15 second shot clock in the second half.

The road gets much tougher in round 2 for both teams.  If chalk prevails they'll be on host team's floors, and I have both Hopkins and Cabrini in my Final Four.

WPI89

Thanks for the great recaps Babo. Congrats NEWMAC. good luck to both with tough matchups.

BaboNation

Springfield-Cabrini was played before a "crowd" of friends and family.

Cabrini opened up in a 2-3 zone and after Springfield started hitting and hitting from long-range they switched to man-to-man.  By that time Springfield had sustained double-digit leads for most of the half.  Cabrini is quicker than any team Spr. Has played all year and the pressure on defense started to disrupt the Pride and cause many turnovers.
In the 2nd half Cabrini started full-court pressure on every dead ball, and it largely worked.  Springfield broke the press several times, but they never had it solved.  A 15 point lead was reduced to a single possession several times down the stretch.
Key point - up 2, around 2 minutes left McNulty gets fouled on a 3 pt. attempt and drains all 3 fts.

McNulty has been on fire from 3 pt. range in the postseason and a guy named Ross was also 5 for 5.
Post was saddled with early foul trouble.

Ross:  31 and 9.  Enough said.

Springfield, a team that didn't receive a single point in the last top-25 rankings is now in the Sweet 16.  (I'm not criticizing the poll, but I bet if the rankings were increased to top-30 they still wouldn't have received a vote).

BaboNation

MIT-Hopkins (I only saw the 2nd half)

Two very evenly matched teams.  Hopkins is what, 2nd in the nation in defense?  They disrupted the MIT pick and pop game.  It came down to a tie game, MIT ball with 1:30 left.  Jurko called for a clear out, broke down his man, drove the left of the key, stopped on a dime and swished a 10 footer.  After a JHU miss Jurko again drove left, got the ball knocked loose, but it found Roberts for a lay-in (very fortunate).  57-53 at that point with about 30 seconds left.  Another JHU miss, and that was game.

So, 2 NEWMAC teams made the tournament, they both advanced to the Sweet 16, and they both had to beat higher ranked teams hosting the pods.  Not too shabby.
Ross and Jurko have been immense (and the supporting casts have been outstanding).

I believe this sets up 2 NEWMAC-NESCAC games in the next round, but I have no idea on hosting.  Should be fun.

WPI89

Way to go Springfield and MIT!

rlk

Quote from: BaboNation on March 03, 2018, 10:44:42 PM
MIT-Hopkins (I only saw the 2nd half)

Two very evenly matched teams.  Hopkins is what, 2nd in the nation in defense?  They disrupted the MIT pick and pop game.  It came down to a tie game, MIT ball with 1:30 left.  Jurko called for a clear out, broke down his man, drove the left of the key, stopped on a dime and swished a 10 footer.  After a JHU miss Jurko again drove left, got the ball knocked loose, but it found Roberts for a lay-in (very fortunate).  57-53 at that point with about 30 seconds left.  Another JHU miss, and that was game.

So, 2 NEWMAC teams made the tournament, they both advanced to the Sweet 16, and they both had to beat higher ranked teams hosting the pods.  Not too shabby.
Ross and Jurko have been immense (and the supporting casts have been outstanding).

I believe this sets up 2 NEWMAC-NESCAC games in the next round, but I have no idea on hosting.  Should be fun.

Yep, last four northeast region teams standing play Friday and last two Saturday.  Hosting announced later today.  The MIT-Hopkins ending was classic NEWMAC grind it out.  Oh wait, Hopkins isn't in NEWMAC :-)

This is great for the conference -- national champs last year, and two Sweet 16 (so far!) teams this year.

Springfield hasn't been getting a lot of love on the national stage this season, but any of us from MIT could tell you otherwise.  Superb team.  They're not the Pride for nothing.
MIT Course VI-3 1987 -- #RollTech

amh63

Hosting sites for men has been picked....go to the updated brackets.

rlk

Yep, MIT-Middlebury at Ramapo (Mahwah, NJ) and Springfield-Hamilton at Swarthmore.
MIT Course VI-3 1987 -- #RollTech

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

With so much parity, especially in men's basketball, unexpected outcomes where to be ... expected. However, that doesn't prepare anyone for the number of upsets, who was upset, and how.

Sunday night on Hoopsville, Dave tries to breakdown the opening weekend not only looking back at some of the crazier finishes, but also talking to programs who escaped the wrath. Programs who are dancing on to the second weekend and hoping to punch their ticket to a championship weekend.

Hoopsville is presented by D3hoops.com and airs from the WBCANABC Studio. You can watch Sunday episode LIVE starting at 7:00 p.m. ET here: http://bit.ly/2FbY54R.

If you have questions, be sure to email them to hoopsville@d3hoops.com or interact with the show via the social media avenues.

Guests in order of appearance (subject to change):
- Chuck McBreen, Ramapo men's coach
- Jason Zimmerman, No. 6 Emory men's coach
- Larry Anderson, MIT men's coach
- Bill Broderick, No. 18 Christopher Newport women's coach
- Laurie Kelly, Gustavus Adolphus women's coach
- Carla Berube, No. 8 Tufts women's coach

If you enjoy the show via the podcasts instead, you can get access to them or subscribe one of the three following ways (click on the images when necessary):
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville

Don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3hoops.com
YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/d3hoopsville
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.