MBB: Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association

Started by sac, February 19, 2005, 11:51:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

arena

Quote from: Happy Calvin Guy on March 04, 2013, 08:55:41 AM
Calvin (Massey #6) at WI Stevens Point (Massey #4), plays the winner of Wheaton (Massey #9) at St Thomas (Massey #1).  Here are the probabilities for our beloved Knights, according to Mr. Massey (rounded to one decimal place):

69.0% probability Lose to WI-Stevens Point
20.6% probability Lose to St Thomas in Sweet Sixteen round
7.6% probability Advance to Elite Eight in Salem
2.9% probability Lose to Wheaton in Sweet Sixteen round

I don't think this tells a completely accurate story, however.  Focusing on this weekend's game, consider the following:

Team A 1.000 winning pct, +12.8 scoring margin
Team B .893 winning pct, +17.6 scoring margin
Team C .737 winning pct, +9.6 scoring margin

Team A is UW-SP with Tyler Tillema in the starting lineup, Team B is Calvin, and Team C is UW-SP without Tyler Tillema in the starting lineup.  I would assume that Tillema is not slated to play this weekend, given his injury recovery status and the potential sacrifice of his medical redshirt season if he did come back and play for the first time since December.

Now compare these two teams:
Team A .889 winning pct, +19.8 scoring margin
Team B .571 winning pct, +6.6 scoring margin

Team A is Calvin from 1/30/13, team B is UW-SP starting the same date.  While the WIAC is definitely a tougher conference than the MIAA, Calvin's schedule since 1/30 has included two games vs Hope, plus Adrian, Trine, and Rose-Hulman.  Not exactly a cake walk, and we've been blowing teams out.  Calvin's starting lineup averages 3 inches taller per man than UW-SP's.  I certainly don't underestimate UW-SP, just pointing out that Calvin has a very reasonable chance on Saturday night, even on the road vs an excellent team. 

Last point...against Rose-Hulman both Mickey DeVries and Mitch Vallie looked as good as they have all year.  I know that this is not an appropriate time to look ahead, but sometimes my mind drifts ahead to the future.  I've felt that the biggest holes to fill for next year are an outside game for DeVries (or whoever starts as the "3"), and a second guard to pair with Brink.  DeVries showed such good range on Saturday that the RHIT announcers actually talked about him multiple times as an outside threat, and Vallie showed excellent ballhandling and decision making, and we've known for some time he's got a good outside shot when given the chance.  Any possibility we start Brink-Vallie-DeVries-Dykstra-Kruis next year?  That lineup would average 6 feet, six and half inches across the starting five....wow.
Why did you do that to me????  Now I'm feeling optimistic about this game.  I wanted to have the same bad thoughts as I had about the Rose game.  Ugh.

HollandKnight

Quote from: KnightSlappy on March 04, 2013, 11:47:41 AM
Quote from: Happy Calvin Guy on March 04, 2013, 08:55:41 AM
Any possibility we start Brink-Vallie-DeVries-Dykstra-Kruis next year?  That lineup would average 6 feet, six and half inches across the starting five....wow.

I've thought about that exact lineup the last couple of weeks, but I think the ball handling ability will leave too much to be desired. The height would be outstanding, however.

The improvement of Dan Stout this year has had me thinking as well. I think Calvin is going to want him playing more than 12-14 minutes per game next year -- both because he's becoming quite good and because he'll most likely need to play a bunch of minutes the following year upon the departure of Kruis -- so I think we could see 5-8 minutes per game of Kruis-Stout on the floor for Calvin (because you're not increasing Stout's minutes at the expense of Kruis). I think that also means that Tyler Dykstra sees a bunch of minutes -- maybe even the majority of his minutes -- at the "three" position. The starting front court could very well be Dykstra-DeVries-Kruis.

Taking Brink and Parks (because he's taller than Nadeau) as the back court would yield an average starting height of 6-5.4. Nadeau instead of Parks would make it 6-5.
How does Nadeau- Brink- Devries- Dykstra- Kruis and Vallie in the no.6 spot sound? To me it poses a ball-handling threat, size threat and the three ball presence is there especially if the bigs step out and shoot like they did against RHIT and also majority of the year.
Owner of the 2013 Post of The Year voted by HopeConvert

ziggy

Good read here opining that conference tournaments should go away, or at least not put the league's automatic bid up for grabs: http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/78096/down-with-the-conference-tournament

Certainly a relevant topic for the D3 community. The idea of awarding the conferences automatic bid based on regular season play but still playing a conference tournament as one last chance for bubble teams to improve their resume is intriguing.

Happy Calvin Guy

Can anyone confirm that there will be streaming video from UW-SP on Saturday night?

ziggy

Quote from: Happy Calvin Guy on March 05, 2013, 12:18:40 PM
Can anyone confirm that there will be streaming video from UW-SP on Saturday night?

Forget confirmation, I would be happy with anything that suggests there might be video. Haven't found anything to give me any hope in that regard. There was no video from Point last weekend and their most recent tournament games that have been streamed were produced by d3hoops.com. Pat tells me he/they can't make the trip this year. Only chance might be if Calvin can come to Point's aid but I'm not sure if that is realistic.

Some on the WIAC board have some heartburn with the fact that North Central gets to host Whitewater at Benedictine (2-3 miles from NCC) due to a facilities scheduling issue. Meanwhile the WIAC school that was granted hosting rights can't even provide a video feed. In 2013, that seems like a bigger issue.

Pat Coleman

Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Happy Calvin Guy

Quote from: ziggy on March 05, 2013, 12:30:24 PM

Forget confirmation, I would be happy with anything that suggests there might be video. Haven't found anything to give me any hope in that regard. There was no video from Point last weekend and their most recent tournament games that have been streamed were produced by d3hoops.com. Pat tells me he/they can't make the trip this year. Only chance might be if Calvin can come to Point's aid but I'm not sure if that is realistic.

Some on the WIAC board have some heartburn with the fact that North Central gets to host Whitewater at Benedictine (2-3 miles from NCC) due to a facilities scheduling issue. Meanwhile the WIAC school that was granted hosting rights can't even provide a video feed. In 2013, that seems like a bigger issue.

Even if UW-SP generally doesn't have normal video production facilities in place, I'd be willing to put up with an amateur, no-audio production.  I can't imagine that this would be difficult to put together with a little bit of effort.  And yes, I believe that the NCAA should make this a minimal hurdle to even enter the discussion of hosting an NCAA tournament game. 

I wonder if there is anything that Calvin's own AD/SID team could do to work in conjunction with UW-SP's athletic department to even bring some of our own equipment to stream the game onto Calvin's Stretch Internet site.  I'm sure there are many Calvin fans that can't make the long drive this weekend but would love to see the game.

sac

dates to circle

Saturday Jan. 11, 2014   Hope at Calvin
Wednesday Feb. 5, 2014  Calvin at Hope

Saturday, March 1, 2014 MIAA Championship game

wiz

Date to circle.

Saturday, March 9, 2013

Calvin @ UWSP
Hope @ Home

;)

ziggy

Good news to report. Evidence video might be available now exists per the UWSP AD's twitter account.

John Gleich

Quote from: ziggy on March 05, 2013, 07:26:03 PM
Good news to report. Evidence video might be available now exists per the UWSP AD's twitter account.

You're welcome for asking...  ;)
UWSP Men's Basketball

National Champions: 2015, 2010, 2005, 2004

NCAA appearances: 2018, '15, '14, '13, '12, '11, '10, '09, '08, '07, '05, '04, '03, '00, 1997

WIAC/WSUC Champs: 2015, '14, '13, '11, '09, '07, '05, '03, '02, '01, '00, 1993, '92, '87, '86, '85, '84, '83, '82, '69, '61, '57, '48, '42, '37, '36, '35, '33, '18

Twitter: @JohnGleich

ziggy

Quote from: John Gleich on March 05, 2013, 07:39:43 PM
Quote from: ziggy on March 05, 2013, 07:26:03 PM

You're welcome for asking...  ;)

My favorite Pointer.

HollandKnight

Quote from: sac on March 05, 2013, 04:25:35 PM
dates to circle

Saturday Jan. 11, 2014   Hope at Calvin
Wednesday Feb. 5, 2014  Calvin at Hope

Saturday, March 1, 2014 MIAA Championship game
I'm excited to see how those games and more importantly there seasons turn out especially with both teams loosing 2 key players (Hope: Overway and Snuggerud and Calvin: Powell and Rietema) both are also loosing minor players (Demaagd and Deboer {whose leadership will be missed}).

But why dwell on the future when we are standing in the present.
Owner of the 2013 Post of The Year voted by HopeConvert